Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

furiousox wrote: »
    One thing l've noticed about the Seaboard is that the background music is always terrible.

The last time we were there, there was some grating meandering uptempo jazz number playing.

Both my wife and l realised we were eating quicker than we wanted to because the music was so "urgent"

Thankfully after a few minutes it was changed mid-song to something less annoying.

Going tonight at 8, looking forward to it as we've mostly been for Sunday lunch. Will sample the food and the music and report back tomorrow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As said previously folks, there is no way to tell if a first time poster is posting a positive report for any other reason than that this happens to be there first post. Please afford any new users the courtesy they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

bottomdog wrote: »
    Hello.......!!!!!!

Neverending.

delly wrote: »
    As said previously folks, there is no way to tell if a first time poster is posting a positive report for any other reason than that this happens to be there first post. Please afford any new users the courtesy they deserve.

Fair point, but, i've yet to see anyone else come on here as a 1st-time-poster and big up any other restaurant, the east sea is hardly the most frequented restaurant in drogheda so to see sooooooo many 1st-time posts about it, and no other, is rather bizarre to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Dingatron wrote: »
    Very good. Ask them if they know what the expression 'shill' means. ;)

We assume good faith, but the fact the Eastern Seaboard gets an unusual amount of 1st time posters has been commented on a few times before. See above post about the matter from Dingatron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Blair Waldorf

yeah im only new to the whole boards thing and trying to get used to it, i didnt know alot of people commented on the eastern seaboard on here as there first post, but i did enjoy it the past couple of times i was there and i thought it would i would make a start posting on here saying something about it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

In_tuition wrote: »
    Fair point, but, i've yet to see anyone else come on here as a 1st-time-poster and big up any other restaurant, the east sea is hardly the most frequented restaurant in drogheda so to see sooooooo many 1st-time posts about it, and no other, is rather bizarre to say the least.

Eastern seaboard is without doubt the busiest restaurant in town at the moment so its not that schocking that people make there first post about it .

Eastern seaboard is without doubt the busiest restaurant in town at the moment so its not that schocking that people make there first post about it .

And you know this because?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭furiousox

And you know this because?

We went there a few weeks back, 8pm on a tuesday night.
    Rang up and booked the table on monday even though l didn't think it was neccessary.
    Got there at 7.55 on tuesday and there was one empty table, the one reserved for us.
    The place was busier on a tuesday than most restaurants are on a saturday night.
    l would say it probably is the busiest place in town at the moment.

PLEEEASSE NOTE: The only connection l have with the seaboard is eating there, nothing else.
    And like l said before, the background music is always awful.
    No complaints about the food though.

CPL 593H

Busiest in Drogheda ? Hmmm ?, what about the Black Bull, Jaffas, Scholars, Salt House, Bru, Tango, Chanco, Monasterboice inn, d vine, , D Hotel, The Pizzeria on Peter street, Borzalinos, Chans, Indus, Peony, Piunjabi House, Fate, ........!!!!

• Advertisement

Busiest in Drogheda ? Hmmm ?, what about the Black Bull, Jaffas, Scholars, Salt House, Bru, Tango, Chanco, Monasterboice inn, d vine, , D Hotel, The Pizzeria on Peter street, Borzalinos, Chans, Indus, Peony, Piunjabi House, Fate, ........!!!!

Black Bull - yep, always busy
    Jaffas - usually busy
    Scholars - usually busy
    Salt House - never been, any good?
    Bru - rarely busy any time l pass
    Tango - never been
    Chanco - great value but not busy any time l've been there
    Monasterboice lnn - busy but not as busy as years gone by
    d vine - seems to be pretty busy, l like the place
    D hotel - never eaten there
    Pizzeria - always busy
    Borzalinos - little bit overpriced, not as busy as before?
    Chans (Bettystown?) - good value but not that busy any time l've been
    lndus - been there once and it was busy, prefer punjabi house
    Punjabi House - Nice food, take away busier than sit down l'd say
    Fate - never been

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Black Bull - yep, always busy
    Jaffas - usually busy
    Scholars - usually busy
    Salt House - never been, any good?
    Bru - rarely busy any time l pass
    Tango - never been
    Chanco - great value but not busy any time l've been there
    Monasterboice lnn - busy but not as busy as years gone by
    d vine - seems to be pretty busy, l like the place
    D hotel - never eaten there
    Pizzeria - always busy
    Borzalinos - little bit overpriced, not as busy as before?
    Chans (Bettystown?) - good value but not that busy any time l've been
    lndus - been there once and it was busy, prefer punjabi house
    Punjabi House - Nice food, take away busier than sit down l'd say
    Fate - never been

Black Bull - Have not been in a while, always consider it a pub
    Jaffas - like a staff canteen
    Scholars - posh and see reviews above re side dish charging
    Salt House - uncomfortable but good food and brill athmosphere
    Bru - trendy but food can vary....has wifi.
    Tango - very good chinese, excellent value but prices are incresing
    Chanco - nice spot, and very busy
    Monasterboice lnn - lost its lustre, way overpriced for 1970s faire
    d vine - lovely girlie spot, with nice(ish) food. tables very close.
    D hotel - Hotel....'
    Pizzeria - again was a hit years ago....needs revamp but still okay.
    Borzalinos - overpriced for what you get IMHO
    Chans (Bettystown?) - very comfy, friendly, good food.
    lndus - best decorated restaurant....nice indian....takeaway a tad pricey.
    Punjabi House - others like it more than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Went to d vine cos I read a positive review in the 'leader last week. Interestingly, it was the only place we could get a table (fri night) We rang scholars, triple house, termonfeckin, pizzeria & eastern seaboard.

D vine - menu is very limited. 4 main choices. a lot of chairs dont have backs on them so our backs were sore after an hour. Food was decent - nothing special. The tables are very close. price - 22 for set 3 course so good price. I would put it after Bella Atina and Pizzeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Bru are doing a €22 menu. went there last night. Amazing menu for the price, got spring rolls, burger, and you have a choice to either get desert or coffe. excellent food.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Bru are doing a €22 menu. went there last night. Amazing menu for the price, got spring rolls, burger, and you have a choice to either get desert or coffe. excellent food.
    Nice tip, will have to try it. I like the choice of dessert OR coffee.

Going tonight at 8, looking forward to it as we've mostly been for Sunday lunch. Will sample the food and the music and report back tomorrow

And here's my report back, at last and FWIW. Food - good, I had crab cake followed by beef burger and sweet potato wedges, my better half had bagna coulda then an 8oz fillet, no puds; service from a young blond girl - excellent; music - dire but drowned out by the "buzz" of the place. Not exactly cheap (but they do serve Albarino wine by the glass, €7.50 a pop, tho!) for starter and mains, two glasses of wine each and two lattes inc a tip - €85

Verdict - good, we'd take friends without any hesitation - if we plan far enough in advance to ensure a table - we'd recommend it.

PS if you've never tried the wine, Albariño (Spain) or Alvarinho (Portuguese) from the NW of Iberia, it is simply..... well, gorgeous. Go on, try a glass

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

We normally try to eat out once a week in Drogheda and try to vary it as much as possible (with a few favourites), so here goes from recent experience:

D'vine - still my favourite for early Fri evening. Great food, but as already mentioned not all the seats are so comfy and the menu choice would not suit everyone - I especially like the toulouse sausage and I and love whole rustic vibe of the place.

E Seaboard - Loved it initially, but they don't vary the menu enough so kinda got fed up of the food so haven't gone there for ages. Its a good place to bring friends for a "new" experience though because its buzzy and the food is nice - like the crabcakes & the spinach.

Harrys Bar & Grill - this was closed down for a while but has reopened in the last couple of months under new management from Thurs-Sun. Lovely place, great steaks & sizzling dishes and good value for money.

Salthouse - Great for a night out. No frills, great food & live music so the atmosphere is always lively. Have been 3 times now and each time had a great night and rolled out of the place very late.

Borzalinos - food is good but still a bit overpriced compared to Sorrentos or Pizzeria for good italian food. They seem to have about 2 customers in it any time I look in so that doesn't bode well! One of the staff said to me it's been REALLY quiet lately!!

Sizzles - how is this place still open?? They used to do a nice fry-up which was their saving grace, but they don't do breakfast any more. Anything else I've tried was just awful.

Pink Elephant - delicious food, but its very quiet!

Bizou - prices have come down - great brekkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Went to the D recently, and it was really lovely.
    Nice range of starters and mains, all very tasty and desserts were fab.
    Portions were very large I'd say and left nice and full :)
    It was busy too, and staff weren't the most clued in but nothing major- all in all very good for €25.

dubdee wrote: »

Bizou - prices have come down - great brekkie!

Breakie used to be top class here, best in town, NOT so any more, I had breakfast in it recently, it appeared from the kitchen in two minutes, it is either microwaved or they just happened to have a full irish ready exactly when I ordered, I suspect the first ..ding dong. But it is still a great place for lunch and prices are down....but forget it for breakfast unless its poached eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Where's Bizou and Pink Elephant guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

Breakie used to be top class here, best in town, NOT so any more, I had breakfast in it recently, it appeared from the kitchen in two minutes, it is either microwaved or they just happened to have a full irish ready exactly when I ordered, I suspect the first ..ding dong. But it is still a great place for lunch and prices are down....but forget it for breakfast unless its poached eggs

I can honestly say that Bizou's stuff ain't microwaved. All of the stuff is grilled/fryed or whatever when the order comes in. Maybe you got lucky, was it quiet?

Club Sandwich is beautiful!

Dingatron
    The restaurant is down the lane between Penneys and Hickeys pharmacy on West Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Pink Elephant is under the arch at the courts, (Beside Jaffas)

not sure with bizous, I think it is the place underneath penneys... Down the laneway!

alfaz wrote: »
    I can honestly say that Bizou's stuff ain't microwaved. All of the stuff is grilled/fryed or whatever when the order comes in. Maybe you got lucky, was it quiet?

You seem to have an inside track on the kitchen there and I take your word for it that they fry and grill all breakfasts

But, this appeared from the kitchen within two minutes and there is no luck in preparing a full irish in that time slot. To be fair it tasted okay so there could be a genuine reason but I honestly cannot see how there could be, unless I was given someone else's breakkie, who ordered a few minutes before me but I have my doubts.

A two minute fry and you are telling me "I got lucky'? It tasted fine so maybe there is a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

Quality wrote: »
    Pink Elephant is under the arch at the courts, (Beside Jaffas)

Just heard the Pink Elephant closed down last weekend, if it's true then it's a pity :(

I was in Scholars over the weekend, wonderful athmosphere and service, the food is very good, and wine list excellent, all-in-all a great night out even for a semi-special occasion

OMG! :eek:

Two weeks and nothing posted about the Eastern Seaboard

wtf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Has anyone reviewed "Romanza"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

hey,

loving this thread. thinking of going for a meal this between in the next week - we are looking for somewhere to mark a special occasion - we like anything but seafood, indian and a crazy prices..

liking the sound of tangos, and anywhere that does a set menu.
    are there any italian restaurants in drogheda at the moment offering a set menu for good price?

D vine sounds lovely too however menu seems a bit too different for me (im a plain jane sometimes..) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Romanza have 8.95 lunch special which was very nice and good value last time I was there.

• Advertisement

OMG! :eek:

Two weeks and nothing posted about the Eastern Seaboard

"I've never been but l've heard the food is delicious, mmmm, yum-yum!" :pac:

CPL 593H

Advertisement