Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Went to the esb on Sat, was booked out but got a seat at the bar. I had the black pudding dish and pork belly wraps, probably wouldnt get the pudding a second time but it was nice.The wraps are lovely, very like what you get in kings. Missus got prawns and wings which she used to get off the old menu anyway. She had desert and loved it. Staff were lovely as always. Had a peak into the restaurant side, I like the new layout, I never liked sitting at the window cause you were so close to the next table but now there's larger round tables with bigger space in between them. You would miss the lovely salted bread they used to give you before your meal. I'm open to change though, must have been eating the same food there for over ten years, nice to try something different. The lady next to me had the haddock and it looked great so will try that next.

On the breakfast debate,big thumbs up for relish btown from the oh, best fry ever apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

inside out in slane last night.i had seafood paella , very nice and large portion,mrs had a rib eye which she was raving about and also good size portion.kids had a vegatarian dish which looked great but was only ok im told ! wee lad had chicken and chips ,nice but they dont have gravy !
    service was patchy but overall it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

For anyone that's been to the Black Bull in drogheda and is on Facebook, there is a cracker of a review left by someone last week where it seems they were out looking for a free dinner and complained at the end of the meal despite leaving empty plates behind. Went on to facebook next day to leave a negative review.. owner reviewed the cctv and called her out on all her claims and hilarity ensues and she looks like a chancer (if you believe the owners side of the story)
    Have been plenty of times and always had a very positive experience so would tend to side with the owners on this occasion having read the thread on facebook :D

Great response from the black bull, what a chancer, it's actually annoying that she managed to get free desert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Speaking of the Black Bull, has anyone tried the Village Hotel yet? Hearing mixed reviews, but tempted to give it a go for something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Homer wrote: »
    Have been plenty of times and always had a very positive experience so would tend to side with the owners on this occasion having read the thread on facebook :D

I've heard one bad report about Blackbull from a close friend, but having been there multiple times in last year, most of the time they got everything right. There was this one time, during when fleadh was in town, they must have set the temperature to a million degrees in there, it was excruciatingly warm. With barely any window panes to open, I really suffered that evening to finish food and to get the hell out of there. I love their coke and bbq chicken wings, and the general ambiance / vibe later in the evening, sofas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Great response from the black bull, what a chancer, it's actually annoying that she managed to get free desert.
    Hmmm, I think it's a really poor response tbh. They've more or less accused the patrons of looking for a free meal, despite the fact that they initially declined the free deserts. They didn't call the waiter over to complain to him specifically, they gave a comment AFTER they had finished and he enquired. I'm more inclined to believe the customers version of events on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Went to The Hops for a quick after work bite yesterday, completely forgot the place existed.

Lovely wings, will be back.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think it's a really poor response tbh. They've more or less accused the patrons of looking for a free meal, despite the fact that they initially declined the free deserts. They didn't call the waiter over to complain to him specifically, they gave a comment AFTER they had finished and he enquired. I'm more inclined to believe the customers version of events on this one.

She lost all credit saying it took 10 minutes for something to arrive when it took less than 3 in my opinion. If she had of wrote she was waiting almost 3 minutes she would have been laughed off the page. If she really wanted to leave a bad review there's no need to exaggerate things to do as much damage as possible. They had every right to call her out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

She lost all credit saying it took 10 minutes for something to arrive when it took less than 3 in my opinion. If she had of wrote she was waiting almost 3 minutes she would have been laughed off the page. If she really wanted to leave a bad review there's no need to exaggerate things to do as much damage as possible. They had every right to call her out on it.

1) he should have invited her up to view the CCTV. If she declined, that would have said it all.
    2) he should not have said she was in it for the free food. The fact that she was allegedly happy with the free desserts implied that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I was at a Christmas do in the BB years ago. Tightwad manager ordered steak for him and his brother, polished the lot off and when he got the bill he kicked up stink and said the steak was horrible. We all sat mortified as he haggled with the manager and then clapped himself on the back for his ingenuity, the miserable baxtard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

washiskin wrote: »
    I was at a Christmas do in the BB years ago. Tightwad manager ordered steak for him and his brother, polished the lot off and when he got the bill he kicked up stink and said the steak was horrible. We all sat mortified as he haggled with the manager and then clapped himself on the back for his ingenuity, the miserable baxtard.

Happens a lot more than you would believe! If the person that wrote the review was complaining about a cold steak sandwich why did they polish the whole thing off? Don't believe a word of it. She got caught out lying so I know who I would back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

positron wrote: »
    Also, no one caught my "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" reference about 42...

Yes we did, but it's so old that it didn't seem worth commenting ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

ESB named best restaurant in Leinster at the All Ireland Restaurant Awards last night.
    Great achievement, but it's not even the best restaurant in Drogheda imo! :D

Best Restaurant – Sponsored by Tindal Wine Merchants

All-Ireland: Loam Restaurant
    Dublin: Dax Restaurant
    Connacht Loam Restaurant
    Leinster: Eastern Seaboard Bar & Grill
    Munster: Wild Honey Inn
    Ulster: OX

CPL 593H

How come Michelin restaurants don't win or do they have their own competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

How come Michelin restaurants don't win or do they have their own competition

Ox, Loam and Wild Honey have Michelin Stars

Ox, Loam and Wild Honey have Michelin Stars

Oh I seeee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's a given really. In the past I've seen ESB doing wine tasting evenings in conjunction with "Tindal Wine Merchants" who happen to be the sponsors of those awards.

Pizzabaker.ie replaced the thatch restaurant, opens tomorrow (Wed 29th May)

Pizzabaker.ie replaced the thatch restaurant, opens tomorrow (Wed 29th May)

It's actually where the smaller café was. Looked busy enough when I rode passed yesterday evening. Going to try it out over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

It's actually where the smaller café was. Looked busy enough when I rode passed yesterday evening. Going to try it out over the weekend.

Few people at work tried it on Thursday. I didn’t, but the general feedback was it wasn’t very nice.

Just had the kebab pizza, quite liked it, will try again next hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Not Drogheda but tried No. Three in Collon over the weekend. Very nice meal, lovely setting. Carpark is tiny though but plenty of parking in the streets around. Kids portions were just right too - often places give kids massive portions. I often order one portion and split it between them but this was perfect. Party of 9 and everyone was very happy with their meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Tried Pizzabaker tonight. Pizza was fine but that's about as far as I'd go with it. Thought it went cold fairly quick. There is nicer pizzas around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Speaking of the Black Bull, has anyone tried the Village Hotel yet? Hearing mixed reviews, but tempted to give it a go for something new.

The bull and tide near bettystown? Very ordinary and very very over priced I'm afraid!
    Will not be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The bull and tide near bettystown? Very ordinary and very very over priced I'm afraid!
    Will not be going back

Completely agree. Have never heard anyone say better than its ok. Which is never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Paid €1 for a jug of water in the Village Hotel....... thought it was a bit steep. Haven't seen this anywhere in a very long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭enricoh

Haven't heard any half decent reports from the village, until i do I'll not be going.

I see the cafe in smithstown is gone, a shame it had some nice stuff especially the specials . But the two important things imo a nice fry and a good burger weren't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Paid €1 for a jug of water in the Village Hotel....... thought it was a bit steep. Haven't seen this anywhere in a very long time!

I hope you complained over that ! I would have.

The trinity quarter in Drogheda were at that carry on also ,saying it was " filtered water ".
    Last time I ate in there, in fairness to them I didn't charge.

The village hotel is really over priced for what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That stinks of a business thats trying (in vain) to cover its costs and other ventures the group have entered into that have failed miserably. Owning one business doesnt make you an expert 'in business'. Over-expansion and poor market judgement, and failure through hubris to seek professional guidance.

Advertisement