Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hoboo wrote: »
    That stinks of a business thats trying (in vain) to cover its costs and other ventures the group have entered into that have failed miserably. Owning one business doesnt make you an expert 'in business'. Over-expansion and poor market judgement, and failure through hubris to seek professional guidance.

Glad you edited your original post, as it probably would have been edited for you. But it seems that you have a bit of an issue with them? Have to say, I would rather be judged as somebody who generated a good bit of local employment than horded or squandered their wealth. Not every business succeeds, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Burger in Duende is yum. You're welcome for this detailed review as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Hoboo wrote: »
    That stinks of a business thats trying (in vain) to cover its costs...
    Stinks of a business that really hasn't a clue to begin with.

Petty actions like that will ultimately cost them far more in customer good will than just €1.

Yeah burger coming to drogheda, anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Yeah burger coming to drogheda, anyone tried it?

Personally I love the one in Navan. Very pricey but it is really nice. The one in Maynooth isn't quite as nice, in my opinion. So interesting to see how the Drogheda one is.

Any idea where it's going to be?

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Haven't heard any half decent reports from the village, until i do I'll not be going.

I see the cafe in smithstown is gone, a shame it had some nice stuff especially the specials . But the two important things imo a nice fry and a good burger weren't up to scratch.

It's a real pity they didn't get the fry-up right. The old Smithstown diner and their fry ("the Smithstown Special") was an amazing fry. Used to pop in regularly to get it.

The 'new' Smithstown Diner fry was very average at best. I had it twice, in the off-chance the first time was just bad luck, but I never returned after the second attempt. Which is a pity, as it was competing with a much more established Glenside just next door, and getting a good fry on the go would have been the saving grace of that place, I reckon. Especially if they did a smaller, discount fry for €4-5, so they could advertise it on a roadside sign next to the Glenside to encourage some traffic in the door and build a customer base.

Mind you, i get annoyed at the people of Duleek for having The Old Post on their main street and letting it die. I travelled into Duleek a fair few times just for the fry out of The Old Post. Was the best fry I've had in a long, long time, in any cafe/restaurant. Was saddened, but not surprised, to see it closed (As it was always practically empty). :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Glad you edited your original post, as it probably would have been edited for you. But it seems that you have a bit of an issue with them? Have to say, I would rather be judged as somebody who generated a good bit of local employment than horded or squandered their wealth. Not every business succeeds, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

I know the lads very well, and the family. Zero issue at all, just a wee bit of humility and less ego would have them in a far better position than trying to offload one business as a going concern and another charging for jugs of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Are they the guys who 'own' the Black Bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Personally I love the one in Navan. Very pricey but it is really nice. The one in Maynooth isn't quite as nice, in my opinion. So interesting to see how the Drogheda one is.

Any idea where it's going to be?

Back of the town centre where the news agents and Lallys used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

markc1184 wrote: »
    Back of the town centre where the news agents and Lallys used to be.

Great location!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The 'new' Smithstown Diner fry was very average at best. I had it twice, in the off-chance the first time was just bad luck, but I never returned after the second attempt. Which is a pity, as it was competing with a much more established Glenside just next door, and getting a good fry on the go would have been the saving grace of that place, I reckon. Especially if they did a smaller, discount fry for €4-5, so they could advertise it on a roadside sign next to the Glenside to encourage some traffic in the door and build a customer base.

I went twice, and both times left feeling the same way; it was ok food, but waaaaaay to expensive for what it was. If it was cheaper, I'd have probably visited more. If it had been nicer, I'd have visited more. But you can't do average food at above average prices.

Shame too. Location feels like it should do well with the amount of passing trade.

Its one of those "If I won the lottery" fantasies I have that I'd love to take a diner like that and make it a proper "American style" dinner, with pancakes and waffles and breakfasts and stuff, like an iHop or Dennys. So am always sad to see businesses go under when they try something like that...

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Pizzabaker.ie replaced the thatch restaurant, opens tomorrow (Wed 29th May)

Update on this one, I was passing last night and noticed a couple of new signs out front saying Thatch Kitchen now open.

Tried 50/50 last night. Managed to get a table without booking but wouldn't recommend that, very busy for a Tuesday! Food was nice but not spectacular (could have been hotter), reminded me of Monasterboice but far cheaper, earlier bird was 16 I think, very good value. Will return.

Update on this one, I was passing last night and noticed a couple of new signs out front saying Thatch Kitchen now open.

Had the burger today, was nice. Didn't have that bbq taste the previous one had but enjoyed it. The menu looked good, looking forward to trying a few things

They've gutted the place btw , it looks more like an American diner now, the old pub look is completely gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Another fantastic lunch in D'Vine yesterday.
    Three of us went and we had 3 tapas, prawn linguine, rib-eye & chips, one portion of ice-cream, one glass of wine & one cappuccino.

The tapas were all delicious (prawn & chorizo, asian chicken wings, tempura prawns)
    The linguine was fresh and tasty and the rib-eye with homemade fries is crazy value for 12 euro, cooked perfectly (medium rare) with a lovely flame charred flavour.

We went in around 1.30 and the place was empty which surprised me.
    Total cost was 53 euro for a really enjoyable meal which filled us all for the rest of the day!

Not a Drogheda restaurant, but there's an Italian place in Skerries called Divino which also does amazing food, well worth trying if you're up there.

I noticed yesterday there's an Asian takeaway called Tenda where Mullens chipper used to be at the top of Mary st.
    Has anyone tried it yet?

CPL 593H

Had no idea D'Vine did lunch, probably why it's quiet !

Must check it out.

furiousox wrote: »
    I noticed yesterday there's an Asian takeaway called Tenda where Mullens chipper used to be at the top of Mary st.
    Has anyone tried it yet?

I tried it over the weekend. I thought it was nice, very similar in taste to Hai Phong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Tried it last Thursday, was very tasty.
    Needed a quick fix so ordered the 9” mega (spice) box which comes with a can of your choice.
    A lot of eating in it for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Brought herself and the kids to Relish for breakfast Sunday morning. One of the few places open for brekkie on a Sunday morning in Drogheda. At €12.70 for a Full Irish I was expecting more. It was nice, no complaints about the food or service, but €9.50 nice, not €12.70 nice. No tomato, no mushrooms, no beans, no orange juice. Inc a couple of soft drinks for the kids breakfast worked out at €63 (ex tip). It'll be back to the Black Bull next time.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Brought herself and the kids to Relish for breakfast Sunday morning. One of the few places open for brekkie on a Sunday morning in Drogheda. At €12.70 for a Full Irish I was expecting more. It was nice, no complaints about the food or service, but €9.50 nice, not €12.70 nice. No tomato, no mushrooms, no beans, no orange juice. Inc a couple of soft drinks for the kids breakfast worked out at €63 (ex tip). It'll be back to the Black Bull next time.

Try the Boyne Valley Hotel for Sunday breakfast (or, indeed, any other meal) I stayed there recently and the food was good - not brilliant but very satisfactory. Sunday breakfast v good

Service very good, btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Try the Boyne Valley Hotel for Sunday breakfast (or, indeed, any other meal) I stayed there recently and the food was good - not brilliant but very satisfactory. Sunday breakfast v good

Service very good, btw

Stayed there too and it is a really good breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Service very good, btw

They used to do an unbelievable club sandwich, haven't been in a few years. We ordered two, the first one arrived and we thought it was between us.

Finally got around to trying the breakfast in Kings after seeing the recommendations on here. Fantastic breakfast and well worth the money.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Finally got around to trying the breakfast in Kings after seeing the recommendations on here. Fantastic breakfast and well worth the money.

they also do fresh orange juice now :cool:

il forna also on the fresh juice bandwagon, i wonder are they reading the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thumbs up for five good things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Has something happened to The Eastern Seaboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Has something happened to The Eastern Seaboard?

Please tell me it was something serious and irreversible.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

It's closed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had the breakfast roll in cafe lemonade at the weekend , well impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It's closed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.

I heard something about an examiner being appointed.

Advertisement