Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

markc1184 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Fifty50 yet?

Yeah, great food and service, so very happy with my first visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Not a restaurant but I've been to the Weavers twice over Xmas and you can't beat it, food is fab and amazing portions sizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

I don’t know what’s happened to all the old faves?

Ate in the bull for Sunday lunch recently- tiny portion on a massive plate, lukewarm too.

I can’t believe anybody is giving ESB a good reviews. Gave it yet another try a couple of weeks ago and it was as bad as ever. Barely a sinner in the place yet the service was so slow - we only ordered wings, chips etc, nothing complicated yet still waited an age for it to come.

I’ve obly heard good reviews about Fifty50, must try soon.

Aisha’s and West29 still top for me for food and service - can’t fault the Weavers either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭PGE1970

DDad2009 wrote: »
    I can’t believe anybody is giving ESB a good reviews. Gave it yet another try a couple of weeks ago and it was as bad as ever. Barely a sinner in the place yet the service was so slow - we only ordered wings, chips etc, nothing complicated yet still waited an age for it to come.

In Sally McKenna's Top 100 Restaurants in the Sunday Times last week, there was only one entry for Co Louth. Guess which restaurant? The ESB!!

I understand that she has had it in every year too. I used to read her guidebooks but not any more. It is a ridiculous inclusion.

My experience of the ESB mirrors yours - cold, disinterested staff and average food. That said, I have given up on it now and haven't been for a while.

Aisha's and The Valley Inn are my personal favourites at the moment. 2 courses in the Valley Inn for €19 is hard to beat and nicer food than their rival up the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Aisha's and The Valley Inn are my personal favourites at the moment. 2 courses in the Valley Inn for €19 is hard to beat and nicer food than their rival up the road!!

Can't beat the Valley imo - lovely food & the staff are very nice too. Nothing is ever too much trouble!

• Advertisement

Can't beat Burke's for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Heading to the ESB on Friday and if the food isn't better than the Valley Inn or even worse the Black Bull ill eat my hat, they're in different leagues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

my top 10 (mostly drogs )

1,Aisha
    2,inside out(slane)
    3,Valley inn
    4,Antica toscana
    5,Zachinnis (navan)
    6,cinnamon house (ashbourne)
    7,Kealys airport
    8,ESB
    9,Tankerstown
    10,Punjab (dundalk)

Always looking to try somewhere new !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

In Sally McKenna's Top 100 Restaurants in the Sunday Times last week, there was only one entry for Co Louth. Guess which restaurant? The ESB!!

I understand that she has had it in every year too. I used to read her guidebooks but not any more. It is a ridiculous inclusion.

My experience of the ESB mirrors yours - cold, disinterested staff and average food. That said, I have given up on it now and haven't been for a while.

Does anyone know how that guide works? Do restaurants have to pay to be included? I'm always a bit miffed when no Meath restaurant makes it into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Completely agree.
    It seems that whenever food critics venture out of Dublin and up to Drogheda, they only seem to visit Scholars or ESB.
    In fairness, both were very good when they first came on the scene, but neither have lived up to their lofty reputations since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Eastern Seaboard still my go to restuarant for a nice meal out. I read a lot of reviews on here and on facebook and I think people must be eating in a different restuarant to me. Always find the staff good and friendly, not in your face too often. Food I never find is overly slow, they pace it quite well IMO. Great vegetarian options which is another rarity.

As for people saying they would go to the Valley Inn over the ESB?? I live about 2 miles from the Valley Inn and it is not great at all and we avoid it. The type of food you could cook better yourself at home.

Must try Aisha and Fifty50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Another Aisha's fan here. Not the nicest spot inside but the food is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Can't beat the Valley imo - lovely food & the staff are very nice too. Nothing is ever too much trouble!

Another +1 for the Valley Inn. Our new go to place on Sundays. Haven't had a bad experience any time I've visited. Himself says the steak is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Fantastic steak in The valley alright.

Latest feeds

Simonas - some pasta special, very nice, very solid cafe must go there more often

Esb - steak sambo and muscles for herself, steak wasnt as good as last time but still lovely, she loved it. Service was good, I find the owner is very nice and staff friendly, definitely don't get the boards hate for it

Thatch - the burger is still going strong here, better than the cross burger imo :eek: always busy here at lunchtime they've done a great job

Kings - Pork Belly Tacos special, best of the lot by far, mouth watering just thinking about it

Salthouse - Eggs Benedict, decent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I stumbled upon Il Forno on West Street a few weeks back by accident. Got stuck in town one morning, and walked by while looking for somewhere to get breakfast. It's beisde the Grey Goose (and I reckon owned by the same people), accross the road from the hotel, where the charity shop used to be.

Ordered their breakfast and was really impressed. Went back yesterday at lunch, got the carbonara, and was equally as impressed.

Both times, got a great feed for the money involved, and the staff were relatively friendly.

With Annie's closing, it looks like it will become my go to on West Street.

Also gonna do another shout out to Lemonade up at Tesco, which has the nicest breakfast role at savage value, super friendly staff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I see the Eastern Seaboard is closed for renovations.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I see the Eastern Seaboard is closed for renovations.

Yep, tried to book it for today. Went to fifty50 instead. Its okay, starter was nice, burger was a bit bland but I am fussy, chips were undercooked imo. Early bird has 3 courses for 19e. I'd put it in that category of thatch, black bull etc on first impression

Had the burger in Il Forno, decent, similar to the thatch I would say. Chips were well cooked, its a sad state when that's a bonus but you'd be amazed how many chippers/restaurants under cook their chips

Went to the Valley Inn. It's like an old school pub grub joint. They don't even do a burger! The chips weren't cooked very well. The cod was nice but I only ordered it cause I couldn't find anything else I wanted. Safe to say the ESB has nothing to worry about and I wont be eating my hat

went to the gandon in slane castle last weekend.

Beautiful place ,reception,restaurant etc but food just average and too expensive.

i had seafood pasta €29 and mrs had pork chop ,€29 - 1 pork chop !

just allright ,Tankerstown or upside down or coyningham arms in the area way ahead of it for food.

ivory tower - had the valley inn burger many times !

meant inside out !!! oops

• Advertisement

I may have missed it so, unless the weekday menu is different to weekends/evenings.

Going to try Upside Down next, heard good things

blingrhino wrote: »
    went to the gandon in slane castle last weekend.

Beautiful place ,reception,restaurant etc but food just average and too expensive.

i had seafood pasta €29 and mrs had pork chop ,€29 - 1 pork chop !

just allright ,Tankerstown or upside down or coyningham arms in the area way ahead of it for food.

ivory tower - had the valley inn burger many times !

meant inside out !!! oops

What was the service like? We had a really bad time in their bar on both NYE and NYD 2017/18 and haven't gone back since ......

it was very inexperienced,The young staff were polite and friendly but had no real knowledge of food or wine which is surprising as there are some serious prices for wine. it doesnt require a top notch sommelier but definely needs a serious front of house person if you get my drift.

"hand cut chips " at €5.50 a portion really sticks in my head as they were clearly frozen and desperate.

The thatch closed their kitchen during the week

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The thatch closed their kitchen during the week

Any mention why? Always seemed pretty busy for lunches

The kitchen restaurant beside Simona's has closed "until further notice"

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Oh that's a pity....the food was lovely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

IvoryTower wrote: »

Apparently the chef has been taken ill, so hopefully it isn't permanent. I love their food - the basked alaska is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

bpmurray wrote: »
    Apparently the chef has been taken ill, so hopefully it isn't permanent. I love their food - the basked alaska is insane.
    I love their food as well...apart from baked Alaska :) .....way to sweet for me.
    Hopefully chef makes a speedy recovery, I saw it on their facebook page

So Katies Cottage going along with the Thatch. Sad to see, thought it was going well. Was often packed on lunchbreaks. That's the second place in a row that has closed after I gave it the title of best burger in the area, i'm saying nothing next time!

Went to Il forno yesterday, the missus said it was the nicest pizza she's had in town. If I was to complain, the orange juice was warm from a carton of kulana. I know not many places do fresh oj but even if it was cold it would have helped! Props to places like the bare food cafe that give you freshly squeezed oj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Anyone try the new revamped Seaboard yet?
    Wonder have they changed the menu?

CPL 593H

Advertisement