Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Oh, in that case it's closed on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Seems to be true.
    They had a well regarded and successful restaurant there and they f..ked it up by not listening to their customers and thinking they could charge 42 quid for a steak.
    I'm sorry for the employees whose jobs are at risk but I've no sympathy for the owners.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/court-appoints-first-woman-examiner-to-restaurant-business-1.3972285

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

youd rarely see a cafe anywhere as busy, and without a doubt the best buns I've ever had! They were also booked out any weekend we ate there recently so I'm surprised things were that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    youd rarely see a cafe anywhere as busy, and without a doubt the best buns I've ever had! They were also booked out any weekend we ate there recently so I'm surprised things were that bad.

2 busy nights a week doesn't sustain a bar and restaurant of that size

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There was a point a few years back that if my wife turned to me and said, let's go out for an off the cuff treat, ESB would be it. After being disappointed on a number of occasions, if she said the same thing now, it would not even be mentioned as a consideration. A shame really, as they had such a winning formula at one stage.

• Advertisement

they were probably in trouble before the menu change to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

From https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/court-appoints-first-woman-examiner-to-restaurant-business-1.3972285
    She worked on the examinership of Katie Daly’s Bar and Restaurant in Gorey, Co Wexford, where 50 jobs were saved. Ms O’Keeffe was shortlisted for Accountant of the Year 2018 at the Irish Early Career Awards.

I hope ESB + Ms O'Keeffe can do something together to turn things around and save the business and the jobs. They were genuinely great for the first few years, and if they can somehow go back to that kinda food and service, they could save the business, jobs and Drogheda another great place to eat out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had the breakfast roll in cafe lemonade at the weekend , well impressed

Yes! Adore their roll, and it’s great value too. Recommend it to anyone who listens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Popped into Bia Café on sunday , both of us had the carbonara, delicious ! Will be back to try some more food from their extensive menu, decently priced also.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

If I weren't trying to lose some of this weight, I'd be at Bia's more. Great sized portions for a really good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I quite like the spicy sausage and salami with spaghetti when I go to Bia.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

positron wrote: »
    From https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/court-appoints-first-woman-examiner-to-restaurant-business-1.3972285
    She worked on the examinership of Katie Daly’s Bar and Restaurant in Gorey, Co Wexford, where 50 jobs were saved. Ms O’Keeffe was shortlisted for Accountant of the Year 2018 at the Irish Early Career Awards.

I hope ESB + Ms O'Keeffe can do something together to turn things around and save the business and the jobs. They were genuinely great for the first few years, and if they can somehow go back to that kinda food and service, they could save the business, jobs and Drogheda another great place to eat out.
    We've been going to the ESB for years and never once had a bad experience. The food has always been exciting and delicious. They tried doing something against the grain and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked out for them. We've always said that we're lucky to have them on our doorstep, they've championed local producers for years and no doubt have kept people in jobs as a result. There are any god's amount of places around Drogheda where you can get a run of the mill menu (and pay over the odds for it), but you were always guaranteed something different and interesting at the ESB.
    Have spoken briefly to Jeni a few times and always found her to be passionate about her work. I hope for everyone concerned (including myself) that they find their way through this.

Helmet wrote: »
    We've been going to the ESB for years and never once had a bad experience. The food has always been exciting and delicious. They tried doing something against the grain and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked out for them. We've always said that we're lucky to have them on our doorstep, they've championed local producers for years and no doubt have kept people in jobs as a result. There are any god's amount of places around Drogheda where you can get a run of the mill menu (and pay over the odds for it), but you were always guaranteed something different and interesting at the ESB.
    Have spoken briefly to Jeni a few times and always found her to be passionate about her work. I hope for everyone concerned (including myself) that they find their way through this.

Well said, could have wrote that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Regarding ESB -

Why take the favourites off the menu. Change is not always good just for changes sake.

Why undertake such a comprehensive refurbishment, that closed the restaurant for weeks and ran over time and probably cost a fortune. Not needed if funds were running tight. It had a warehouse feel, all that was really needed was a bit of reupholstery on the window seats and maybe a lick of paint.

I presume prices increased again when the vat rate and minimum wage increased at the start of the year. It was telling that we hadn't been since maybe a year before that, when they increased prices, and limited the side dishes to 1 per main course rather than 2.

They get lots of good press and seem to be well regarded with critics. Is it that a lot of local customers either just don't get the hype, or is there also a bit of typical Irish begrudgery that they had "notions"?

As I said, we haven't been there in well over a year. Himself loved their ribs, but they took them off the menu. They have ribs in the Lime Kiln so that's his go to for his ribs fix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

A few years back, ESB was my go-to for any special occasion. I'd always take my family when they visited from the UK and they loved it; it was always a treat and well worth the money.

However, in my mind it all started to go wrong after the front of house manager left (I don't know his name) as the service went downhill after that.

I still used to go but it did lose its sparkle and other places impressed me more.
    It's been a slow decline but the nail in the coffin, for me, was when they drastically changed the menus, got rid of all the favourites and upped their prices.

The last time I went it was just a mediocre (yet expensive) experience and I've never returned as there are so many lovely restaurants around now that it's not even on my radar. If someone suggested it for a night out I'd say No.

Such a shame as it really was fabulous and I miss the way it used to be.
    I hope they can recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I use to go there a bit a good few years back and while I always liked it .. I never loved it. Somethings were just not worth the price and I always felt the place had no real soul to it.

I've been twice in the last year and both times I felt I was totally let down - bland average food at big prices and a feeling that you were in the way of the staff … as in the job would be easier without any customers.

On the other hand - I've had occasion to go to Scholars a couple of times since January and I am growing quite fond of the place. It is a little bit on the stuffy side - but sometimes a traditional restaurant is more comforting. The little bar is quite comfy for a drink afterwards .. and walking distance to the town.

They were doing a bit of work on where Annies was in town when I passed the other day. Anyone know whats going in there?

After several tries I can confirm the thatch burger is as good as before if not better.

Also for those who are often too lazy to cook but would like decent food , casanova delivery, great for the likes of carbonara etc and good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

They were doing a bit of work on where Annies was in town when I passed the other day. Anyone know whats going in there?

Just clearing it out I think, walked past and the lads clearing it were complaining of the smell. Tables were still set so I'd say kitchen was full of food past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Tables were still set so I'd say kitchen was full of food past few months.

Oh Jesus, can you imagine? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Oh Jesus, can you imagine? :(

I'd rather not :pac:

Yeah Burger opened yesterday. I'll give it a try once the opening hype dies down a little. For those that have tried it in Navan, is it a sit in only or do they do take away?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

markc1184 wrote: »
    Yeah Burger opened yesterday. I'll give it a try once the opening hype dies down a little. For those that have tried it in Navan, is it a sit in only or do they do take away?

Yes, Navan has both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Another thumbs up for Bia

Went to yeah burger , burger and garlic butter chips were very tasty.They made a mess with our order unfortunately, none of the burgers were exactly what we asked for, will be back to try again when it settles down

I'm seeing a pattern here with IvoryTower and burgers. An intervention is needed I think :p

I'm seeing a pattern here with IvoryTower and burgers. An intervention is needed I think :p

Its the first thing I try no matter where I go! Usually disappointed, I have high hipster burger standards

I also hate cooking which is why i spend so much time in this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Went to yeah burger , burger and garlic butter chips were very tasty.They made a mess with our order unfortunately, none of the burgers were exactly what we asked for, will be back to try again when it settles down

Big fan of the Navan branch and found that Maynooth was nowhere near the same standard. So be interested to see how this would stacks up.

Anything I've heard from people who've gone has been same as your experience - very unorganised and getting orders wrong. Suppose that's always the risk with newly open restaurants. Will try it soon.

Went to Fifty50 today. 3 course for €18.95 is a decent deal I thought. We had wings, garlic bread and vol au vent for starters. A classic burger, Bolognese and a tiger prawn tagliatelle for mains. Wispa cheesecakes (very tasty) and a brownie for dessert. Came to €72 including a glass of wine and a couple of minerals. All 3 of us enjoyed what we got.

Be interesting to see how the menu will change when the Fifty50 name changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

markc1184 wrote: »
    Went to Fifty50 today. 3 course for €18.95 is a decent deal I thought. We had wings, garlic bread and vol au vent for starters. A classic burger, Bolognese and a tiger prawn tagliatelle for mains. Wispa cheesecakes (very tasty) and a brownie for dessert. Came to €72 including a glass of wine and a couple of minerals. All 3 of us enjoyed what we got.

Be interesting to see how the menu will change when the Fifty50 name changes.

Was over in Collon last night with Mrs Mac in Number 3, food tasty but not overly exciting and not great value for money. We had two starters two main courses one dessert and a bottle of wine €110.00
    The 12oz sirloin steak was on the small side Ive seen bigger 8oz steaks. Considering they buy a strip sirloin for approx €120 and they definitely will get 30 of these so called 12oz steaks from a side of sirloin so at €29.95 that is some profit.

Advertisement