Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you did today?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Alrite, ive gotten over my un motivated time and ive done some study, yesterday and today.
    Instead of everyone saying what they havent done, lets talk about what we have done, so ehhh we feel good about ourselves.:)

Today I Did:
    History- Cumann na nGaedheal (90 mins)
    Maths OL- Sequences and Series (50 mins)
    French- Obesity (30 mins)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

today...i tried to study business...but gave up...and drew this on a flash card:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Endocrine System, Nervous System, Excretion and Muscoskeletal System for Bio & Stats for Maths.

Gonna hit the books in awhile now. Somehow manage to work wayyyy better at night. Any one else exceeding their RDA of Caffeine? The amount I've been having is repulsive! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Maths OH, question 1-4 in paper 1
    Geography: slope delelopment, and just general crap
    English: Philip Larkin

Going up soon again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shwaa

i too work better at night!...i hate it though because then i'm always tired:(:eek:...ah well..

today i'm meant to be studying for irish summer test tomorrow...came to the computer to get notes on stair na gaeilge and i'm still here!...so good work on my behalf:(...but i shall cram it in later!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I didn't do much today. :(

English: Literary Genre.
    History, Sinn Fein 1918 (every night I do this) :P
    Timeline for Northern Ireland and Coleraine
    Maths: Some Qs on paper 1.
    Irish: Ruraiocht (like 5 lines and I got bored XD)

This will be nice to keep track of my study. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I dont know if I did enough - let ye be the judge

Adreienne Rich (english) - 45mins
    Mussolini etc (history*) - 20 mins
    Othello - 45 mins
    Hitler*, inc Church State, and the home front in Germany in Britian - 25mins
    Maths (just did every question I though would be hard do in the 94 HL paper 2 exam) - 25 mins
    Applied Maths (a handful of questions, should really be doing more now) - 20mins

Doesnt look too bad when its written down!

*what I do for history is write out all the Key words I dont know. Luckily for me I listened in class for 3 years, so now its just about adding as much additional information. That is why i did so much in so little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

An hour of HE, then rewarded myself with a break, that was at 13.30 and im still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

turgon wrote: »
    I dont know if I did enough - let ye be the judge

Adreienne Rich (english) - 45mins
    Mussolini etc (history*) - 20 mins
    Othello - 45 mins
    Hitler*, inc Church State, and the home front in Germany in Britian - 25mins
    Maths (just did every question I though would be hard do in the 94 HL paper 2 exam) - 25 mins
    Applied Maths (a handful of questions, should really be doing more now) - 20mins

Doesnt look too bad when its written down!

Ye!!! it doesnt look bad atall, i just tested myself on CnaG so im happy.
    This is handy, if people can update it everyday, you can look back and what you did and also check out what other people did to either a) guilt-trip you or b) remind you to study something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Finished off an essay on the Eucharistic Congress for History
    Did the Maths algebra test I set myself yesterday
    Notes on two Irish poems (Bimse Buan & Jack)
    Matrices & Complex numbers revision, but got interrupted for dinner, and then came two episodes of Scrubs and here I am.
    Looking to get a History essay done (Nuremburg Rallies or Show Trials) soon.

I like this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Did my leaving in 2002 and finished my 3rd year college exams yesterday so all I can say to ye is best of luck and put in the work for the LC, college is well worth it!

• Advertisement

Can someone rate this essay, please? (50 mins, went over by 9 minutes >_<)

What was the impact of WW2 on the Home Front in G.B. in 1939-1945?

World War 2 was the first major war in which the ciilians on the "Home Front" had an important role to play, which impacted the outcome of the war. The war changed civilian's lives, especially in Great Britain who had to adopt to living in a country during a war.
    The people of GB played just as much an influential role as the soldiers fighting in the war. The country geared itself entirely towards the war effort. Industries involved in the manufacturing of arms booed eg those involved in the manufacturing of aeroplanes. In 1938 2,800 aeroplanes were produced but by 1945 this had nearly risen by 13 times that. Before the war the civilians of Britain had been deeply affected by the Great Depression due to the Wall Street Crash in 1929 but because of the boom in the rearment industry, unemployment practically disappeared. The people of GB were fighting a war in which they were defending their country and way of life. This lead to a communal spirit and a willingness to work. In fact, many worked long hours and during holidays.
    Britain was an island therefore many of its resources came from imports from abroad from its colonies overseas. However German U-boats concentrated many of their attacks on British shipping lanes causing the people of Britain to become more reliant and self-sufficient. A huge concentration wa put on agriculture and the Women's Land Army was set up. This was an organisation in which young women in Britain would go in organised groups into farms to replace the men who were fighting in the war. Like much of the rest of the countries, the women felt they were playing a part in the war effort. It was a huge success and from the years 1939-1945 the production of wheat, barley and oats rose from 3.3million tonnes to 4million. The Women's Land Army wasn't the only organisation that women could join to help in the war effort. Over 7 million women worked in the factories and many joined the WRNS (Navy) and WAAF (Airforce).
    Like most of the countries in the war, Britain underwent food shortages which led to rationing. Unlike the other countries like Germany who could use the imports taken from their conquered lands (Poland, Denmark, France), the British had to rely on what was available in their own country. In 1940, the ration book and coupons came into being. With these an average adult received small amounts of butter, jam, bacon and cooking oil or fat, which were meant to last for one week. Fruit and vegetables were subject to availability. There was no rationing of alcohol or tobacco because they too were a subject to availability and also the British Government felt that these items would be a treat to those left on the Home Front. Food from the Black Market was available to those who could afford it.
    Due to the fact that the people of Britain felt they were defending their democracy and way of life, the Government did not face much resistance from the public. Altough one infamous British Nazi supporter was Lord Haw-Haw who would broadcast anti-allied propaganda on the radio. After the war, he was brought back to England and executed as a traitor.
    World War 2 was the first war in which civilians on the Home Front were used as targets to weaken the enemy. During the Battle of Britain and the Blitz the number of British civilians deaths mounted. Even though they were anti-aircraft guns and despite the best efforts of the RAF over 22,000 civilians died during the war. The cities of Manchester, Liverpool, Coventry and Glasgow were heavily bombed because they were the industrial centres of Britain, and of course so was London. Over two thirds of population of London stayed in the city during the Blitz. Many people hid in underground cellars and underground train stations.
    To counter acts this bombardment on their towns and cities, young children, pregnant women and disabled people were transported to the countryside where people would volunteer to accomodate them. Other measures included covering the british beaches in barbed wire, taking down signposts, blacking out windows and preventing church bells from ringing unless it was signalling an air raid. All these measures were done to hinder any advancement and attack of Germany. A Local Defence Force or Home Guard was set up. Local men between the ages of 17 and 65 were trained (usually with very little weapons) in case of an invasion from Germany.
    War propaganda had a big effect on the lives of civilians in Britain. To prevent low morale, Luftwaffe losses would be exaggerated, pictures of the horrible effects of the air raids wouldn't be printed. Radio played a huge role and the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill inspired many with his speeches on the radio with his booming voice, "Let us brace ourselves and so bear ourselves so that if the British commonwealth is to last a 1000 years men will still say this was their finest hour". Other propaganda exercises included encouraging people to donate aluminium pans for the manufacture of aeroplanes. This was an expensive method of manufacturing so it wasn't used, but it made the British civilians feel part of the war effort.

[conc]World War 2 had a huge impact on British civilians lives during the war. Even their fashion changed: men's trousers had no turn-ups and womens skirts and dresses were made shorter to save fabric. The war impacted on their lives because for the first time the civilians on the Home Front suffered casualties just like their soldiers, and just like their soldiers, they felt a sense of comradary . Their effors in combination with those of the British soldiers helped in deciding the outcome of the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Spent about 3 hours studing the proofs for maths. Got five of them done.
    Then I spent about an hour reading over a couple of my history essays. Tired now... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Good, loads of information. However as regards structure, what I would of done is introduce the term "Total War" in say paragraph one, spend a bit of time explaining it (especially compare to past wars ex WWI), then use your information to illustrate how this worked in practice.

You have put a lot of work into it, are you studying this are in detail of is this how detailed you do each topic??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm doing study in school so everything's broken into 40 minute chunks...

English: read Othello
    Physics: wrote out definitions for electricity.. mainly just learned definition for the ampere and then dossed
    Applied Maths: 2005 paper.. did about 2 questions
    French: listening from 1986 or something (well this was a class thing)
    Music: wrote out some Irish essay topics from previous years.. influence of Irish music on the folk music of North America, dances, eh...
    Maths: 2005 paper, did about 2 questions
    French: wrote out verbs, put them in sentences, etc.
    Art History: read 6 extremely boring pages about Stucco, went over Georgian Architecture a bit
    Irish: wrote out some Stair topics.. eh, Gaeilge agus na Meáin Chumarsáide (love this one, so easy), tionchar na Laidine agus Béarla ar an nGaeilge, na Dánta Grá, Ruraíocht, Fiannaíocht, difríochtaí idir na canúintí
    English: Read more othello

If I was at home I'd probably get nothing done, I've gotten re-addicted to Team Fortress 2. Bleedin' new medic achievements and maps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Nice essay, I may have to steal that! :pac:

turgon wrote: »
    Good, loads of information. However as regards structure, what I would of done is introduce the term "Total War" in say paragraph one, spend a bit of time explaining it (especially compare to past wars ex WWI), then use your information to illustrate how this worked in practice.

You have put a lot of work into it, are you studying this are in detail of is this how detailed you do each topic??

Thanks so much.

No, I'm only doing specific areas. Here's what I am doing:

Topic 3 Ireland:
    Sinn Fein 1918 (It better come up!)
    WoI/Treaty
    Might do 1920-1949

Topic 5 Ireland:
    Coleraine

Topic 3 Europe:
    Pop Culture
    Show Trials
    Hitler
    Home Fronts.

Huge gambles!

It's not that bad writing them, it's just hard to stay in the time limit with legible handwriting!

ATM, I'm taking a break, watching episodes on youtube. Need to get back into study at around 9/9:30pm.

English Paper 1: Reading short stories to get styles of writing, descriptive language ideas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I had my maths and physics summer tests :)

Physics i passed (no work whatsoever :( only started in january
    Maths went exceptionally well

now im avoiding french because i CANT study french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

What was the impact of WW2 on the Home Front in G.B. in 1939-1945?

World War 2 was the first major war in which the ciilians on the "Home Front" had an important role to play, which impacted the outcome of the war. The war changed civilian's lives, especially in Great Britain who had to adopt to living in a country during a war......

I reckon you only have about 45 or so in content, would you get more written? What you have is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

woo just finished for another day.... tis now 10.15...

have t admit tho the last few hours was kinda wasted.... dunno if this happens anyone else but you like sittin ther looking at the page and the words and yet absolutely nothing is makin sense nor goin in for that matter.....:(:(

but i done irish essays, all of plants in biology, gealt and maidhc dainin in ireland and the dublin region in geography...

i like this thread... its like a feel good thread....:):)

Ye its good, thats why i made it, so i can see something to keep me optmisitic not pessimistic!!
    Keep it up!

2moro i plan to
    1.go over lots of Othello material and learn quotes
    2.French listening tapes(07 and 06)
    3.Geog-desert biome
    4.Eco-Demand,supply,costs,elasticity
    5.Maths P1-Q6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Holly Golightly

I did:

Maths: The better halves of two Paper Ones in Maths... in big danger of failing this one
    History: WWI in Ireland, Rising, Sinn Fein, War of Independence, Treaty, Civil War
    Irish: An Cearrbhach and Fiche Bliain... know Fiche Bliain off by heart basically so took me no time
    Art: Romanesque... how boring
    Bio: Endocrine System

Really need to step it up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bohs1890

i didnt do anything today...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

done an hour on global inter - geography

Thats me for the day!!

Just did lots of stuff on othello and ood bit of maths paper 1, lots more to do later.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Just joined, im really stuck i cant concentrate on anything , anyone else that way?
    Today i just did some maths and about to do more,
    Yesterday i did English (Othello) and maths.
    Any tips for business i got 37% in the mock and dont know what to concentrate on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Dan do Mhelissa and a spot of equilibrium for my sins :pac:

Thinking a bit of Mahon, Photosynthesis and L'environnement, next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nato!

Q1 and Q2, paper 1 (ordinary level) maths

doing Q3 now

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

While we're on the subject, off the top of my head, what I'd do for impact of WWII on a named country is:

-explain term home front, elaborate on community spirit, posters, etc
    -Churchill's impact, speeches, morale, etc
    -Blitz, which leads onto...
    -evacutions, explain, pos, negs,
    -rationing, agriculture, BBC food demos etc
    -women's role, employment
    -Dad's army, auxillary fire service, etc

If it said "more than one country" I might stick in a bit about refugees and the occupation of France in my conclusion.

Would that be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

extra classes today:
    Maths: Probability and Combinations (sorted that out as a backup question)
    Physics: The Electron, Thermionic and Photoelectric Emission, Xrays etc...

later...
    Irish: Study pass poetry (just dropped to pass... so easy)
    French: Study a load of vocab, look over essays i did. maybe do an essay
    Applied Maths: Pick a question at random from the past papers and do it.
    Maths and Physics: skim over everything again really quick.

I better get cracking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

So far today, I've done

--Maths 2005 Paper - Paper 1
    --Desertification/Deforestation/Global Warming
    --MNC/Common Ag. Policy/Common Fish. Policy/ERDF
    --Faoiseamh A Gheobhadsa, Buimse Buan Ar Buairt Gach Lo,agus an Bhean Og

Quite happy, taking a little break now and getting stuck back in soon enough!

Advertisement