Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

A Macroom bypass would be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Presume it would simply be a 2+2 bypass of Macroom and Ballyvourney with Ballincollig to Macroom HQDC to be done at a later stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yup, thats the plan. Macroom to Ballyvourney (incl. bypasses of both) as 2+2 with the linking bit from Macroom to Ballincollig bypass eventually. Thats suspended at the moment, but really there are far more pressing projects. Its good road all the way.

Yup, thats the plan. Macroom to Ballyvourney (incl. bypasses of both) as 2+2 with the linking bit from Macroom to Ballincollig bypass eventually. Thats suspended at the moment, but really there are far more pressing projects. Its good road all the way.

Except for the terrible twisty bit after crossing the bridge after going past Lissarda. And this bit doesn't seem to be in this scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

aisling86 wrote: »
    Taoiseach in Ballyvourney tonight....fingers x for good news.
    Anyone know exact route around Macroom?

Does anyone know if the bypass was mentioned to Enda while he was there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Except for the terrible twisty bit after crossing the bridge after going past Lissarda. And this bit doesn't seem to be in this scheme.
    I fear you are right.

Its to start at a Coolcour townland which is just at Macroom (coolcower on google maps)

Im not sure of the reasoning of it either, but possibly the Macroom-Ovens bit is enough off line that you'd be building a few km of road (inc bridge across Lee) to the middle of a field south of Lisarda and needing an km of road and land purchase to link it in to the existing road at Lissarda. So an expensive undertaking just to save a mile of bad road, and with the extra km of link road wouldnt be any quicker either

Probably years off in the future, but is there an eventual plan to retrofit the Ballyvourney to Killarney section to 2+2 ?

We'll get to the stage within a few years where Cork to Ballyvourney will be at worst, 2+2 and then the road will be S2 from then on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Probably years off in the future, but is there an eventual plan to retrofit the Ballyvourney to Killarney section to 2+2 ?
    There used be but it's been removed from the NRA's site.

What's a 2+2 and a S2 for the uninformed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm guessing a 2x2 is 4 lanes. 1 normal lane and an overtaking lane on each side?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    What's a 2+2 and a S2 for the uninformed?

S2 is 1 lane each way plus hard shoulder with no central barrier. 2+2 is two lanes each way with barriers separated by a (usually wire) barrier with no hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Really? I am 36 and that would be 3rd major scheme in my lifetime to date on that route. That road is good save the last 1-2 miles into Ballyvourney.

Really? I am 36 and that would be 3rd major scheme in my lifetime to date on that route. That road is good save the last 1-2 miles into Ballyvourney.

It's not, the whole section from Ballyvourney to Lissarda is certainly not fit for the current traffic levels on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    It's not, the whole section from Ballyvourney to Lissarda is certainly not fit for the current traffic levels on it.

I was referring to the Killarney - Ballyvourney side. Yeah, of course Ballyvourney to Lissarda is a roller coaster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's due to extensive upgrades that retrofitting can be considered. It protects the investment so is well worth it

I was referring to the Killarney - Ballyvourney side. Yeah, of course Ballyvourney to Lissarda is a roller coaster.

Sorry, I misread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If Ballyvourney - Ballincollig is being upgraded in time it makes sense to upgrade Ballyvourney - Killarney. Long way down the line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed, Killarney to County bounds is as good as is needed. I don't see much merit in providing funding to upgrade to 2+2 that stretch. The stretch at eitherside of Ballyvourney is far more in need of upgrade.

Saw his tweet on the same thing, super news for the long suffering drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Fantastic news, between this and Adare Kerry will be a LOT more accessible from both Cork and the Mid-West. In fairness the N22 will be a pretty decent road after this, the only bit that needs doing after this will be Macroom-Ballincollig, which will hopefully be a proper motorway style dual carriageway. But this is certainly very welcome and at last it's no longer just the road to Dublin that is of a decent standard from Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Producer Ben

Will the Macroom bypass be single or dual carriageway?

Will the Macroom bypass be single or dual carriageway?

Macroom section is HQDC while west of Macroom will be 2+2.

Ballincollig to Macroom to be upgraded to HQDC eventually (presume predestination to motorway. Kilarney to Ballyvourney to be eventually upgraded to 2+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Macroom section is HQDC while west of Macroom will be 2+2.

Do you know what route's been selected? Where's the works to start? Coolcower, then north of the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kingdomkerry

Start and completion date anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Great news at long, long last! Route map PDF in post #168 on page 12 for anyone looking. It is Type 2 dual carriageway over the whole length from west of Ballyvourney to east of Macroom based on the Bord Pleanala approval. I think the last estimate was 2 years worth of construction. At the most optimistic, if the Gov't released the money to finalise the remaining CPO / land purchase in Budget 2016, you could conceivably tender in (late?) 2016, award contract in 2017, start in 2018 and be done in 2019/2020? Still too optimistic me thinks, I think the projects up NW on the N4 and N5 will start first near Enda's home patch. The Councils in Sligo and Mayo have used limited funding to drive on with advance works like fencing, ESB service relocation and archaeology on their equivalent schemes. Cork Co Co has a fair bit to do to catch up. There is also a possibility the Macroom Bypass section could be commenced first with that opening prior to completion of Ballyvourney section.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone know the junctions planned around Macroom? Surely one for the R582?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

See attached PDF, it is junctions for all as it is a 2+2 and not a high quality dual carriageway as per Ballincollig (no big on/off ramps for the most part). Unless they decide during detailed design to remove some junctions, although not sure they can do that now post planning.

Advertisement