Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

In practice, it will work fine. Maybe sometimes, someone might have to wait a minute to pull out. That happens on lots of roads, and the world goes on. The goal was never free-flow all the way from start to destination.

I fully expect some form of junction improvement here eventually, after the whole new N22 has opened, but it would be madness to embark on it while the other road is also under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

When I learned to drive it was drilled into me not to trust indicators!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Same here, unless they're slowing down bigtime I wouldn't trust them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

These last few posts are a replay of a similar discussion we had a few months back :)

I think that right turn at that T junction would be a disaster. I fully agree with the “never trust an indicator” point.

I also disagree that the amount of traffic originating in Macroom and heading west (or vice versa) would be minuscule. My in-laws live west of Macroom. It is the commercial, social, and educational centre for that whole region east of the County Bounds. There is a constant stream of locals going in and out of town for something or other. There are also very strong commercial and social ties between Macroom and Killarney. To assume that the vast majority of the traffic is inter-urban is a mistake to my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I agree with the above. To be honest I can't believe anyone would think opening the bypass just to Millstreet junction could possibly be a runner, would be a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cork81

Is there any update as to when or if the section around Macroom will open. Was driving out that way yesterday and could the entrance at Coolcower looks 99% ready to go.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Haven't seen any pictures, but I see chatter on the Macroom Notice Board that some form of work had apparently started at Carrigaphooca? Looks like there will indeed be some form of a tie in there. I also see both the 2nd and 9th of December being floated as potential dates for the opening, but again this could just be speculation.

Need Dronehawk out there, now!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

It will have to be either of those two Fridays as both are the only two before December 15th when the current Taoiseach, and as Tommy Tiernan would say "more importantly" the Taoiseach "from Cork" gets to cut the ribbon before he steps down. Either way great news for the South West and for both commuters and recreational visitors in both directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

Looks like the temporary round about will open 9th December.

Works already in progress when I passed this morning

Good news. Get it open for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

A temporary roundabout? Where is that to be located exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

Ok but the new road and current road are at completely different levels there. How will they feed traffic from the bypass back on to the other roads at that location?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

they are obviously close enough to be able to build what they need.

So, we get to pay more for the road and delay its completion just so that Micheál Martin gets to open something before he hands over to FG. Disappointed they decided to do this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

On the plus side we get 4 months of Macroom being freed up, especially leading upto Christmas. I’d doubt it’ll delay the completion by too much after all bypassing Macroom is above and beyond the number one priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Don't drive the road then until it's 100% completed as a one man/car protest 🙄

No, you’re missing my point. I have no objection to an early opening - I object to the way it has been done here. This kind of dicking around delays the project and increases the cost. If a temporary opening was desired, the project should have been procured with a temporary opening: it was not, mainly because any temporary opening would not have been possible until very close to the total project completion.

This is nothing more than a politician meddling in a complex project to make it look like they’re doing something. So yeah, this section will now open a whole six months earlier, but all this interference has now delayed the western half of the project.

Enjoy your road, but know that you’re being had.

@marno21 from what I hear, the whole project has been thrown into chaos by this move, with the guys on the ground having the schedules changed from day to day.

But yes, both the faces you see on those videos rely on Macroom for the bulk of their votes, so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Its on the front page of the Echo this morning: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41001320.html

It was dark when I drove past here this morning so I couldnt get a look at the progress

I don't disagree with the point around planning to be fair. I don't think anyone believed that we would have to wait until completion of the project to have Macroom bypassed.

Even if a temporary roundabout was not considered on the original plan, it's been the elephant in the room for a number of months as to how it was going to be solutioned temporarily.

Its a costly temporary solution, but personally cannot wait for it to be in place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TBH, from the moment in 2020 it became clear that the eastern section was going to be done well ahead of the rest of the project it became clear that an outcome like this was going to happen. Even more so in 2022 when the tarmac was down on the eastern part with bridges still under construction in the middle part.

Opening to Millstreet Road would probably have been a palatable solution but it causes too much local disruption in that area. All politics is local after all and there would have been too many disaffected people in that area.

IMO, the current outcome is just the result of bad planning and lack of foresight from everyone involved except the contractor who are the losers here. But at the end of the day, the most important part of the project is opening in 4 weeks and the key objective of the scheme has been achieved. It'll be quite nice for those abroad returning to the area from abroad for Christmas to see it open too, it might entice some of them home safe in the knowledge that we can get some stuff done in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Delayed the project????? The project has been delayed for fcuking 20 years, Macroom is a sh1thole and i'm delighted to never have to drive through it again

You enjoy your high-horse

I note with interest also that de paper this morning has an article on the front page about the scheme, which says the whole project will be complete by the middle of next year. Fantastic as the last time I heard a date for the whole project it was Q4.

Having the whole project done by next summer will be enormously helpful to the area especially given that’s the busiest time of the year.

Then the battle will move on to getting Macroom-Ovens done.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Reading the latest comments on this thread proves there will always be someone out there who will moan. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

I don' think the contractor is the loser here, and I think that is what Kris is saying.

The contractor could pluck a number out of the sky for this, a massively inflated number 50 times what the actual cost of the work is and because the politicians are so desperate to cut a ribbon they are willing to sign a blank cheque to get it done.

So the real loser is the tax payer as this wasn't worked into the plan day 1. Its a planning and scheduling error that was badly missed in the tendering and design stage of the project so the finger should be firmly pointed at the consultant that provided that service.

Don't get me wrong it is brilliant that the road is opening but i would seriously doubt that the contractor is losing anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Thank you. That is my problem with this. Ultimately, we’re paying more for the thing to take longer to be completed just so some politician can cut a ribbon.

The difference is six lousy months, and a partial opening could have been done two months ago at Millstreet Road at no additional cost. If there’s any “moaning” it’s the people in and around Macroom who got the idea that that would mean extra traffic on their journeys for a few months, in spite of it relieving the people who’d had thirty years of it further east. So, instead, we get a delay and an inflated cost. That extra money isn’t magic: it means some other road project gets pushed out..

I’m happy the road is finally partially open. But this is still a stunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

>So the real loser is the tax payer as this wasn't worked into the plan day

agh, in fairness theres going to be 5billion of extra corporation tax raked in this year, money which no irish tax payer has paid or has anything in the slightest to do with and rather is tax on sales of google or facebook ads and iPhones and apple macs in France/ Spain/ Netherlands/ Germany/ Italy etc.

With all this cash Ireland should be building the cork luas, metros and other one off projects to leave it in a good place when the magic money tree isnt so generous.

So, if this temporary roundabout costs 100 grand, theres still €4,999,900,000 of the 2022 continental cash windfall (not irish peoples tax cash) left to spend on other stuff.

for reference : https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0908/1321284-corporation-tax-report/

Advertisement