Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

whats the story with hardwareversand? i want to get a new monitor and they are a few hundred cheaper than anywhere else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

whats the story with hardwareversand? i want to get a new monitor and they are a few hundred cheaper than anywhere else ?

They're scumbags, but as long as you don't mind giving money to scumbags and you pay via PayPal then go for it.

M'kay then :confused:

whats happened them i havent been on here in a few months but they used to be well thought of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

M'kay then :confused:

whats happened them i havent been on here in a few months but they used to be well thought of here.

Well, they went into administration recently. For the week or two beforehand they were only allowing bank transfers. Nobody knew why, but HWVS made out like everything was fine and everything would be back to normal soon, to just use bank transfers in the meantime.

They announce their problems, everybody who paid via bank lost their money, got no produce as their cash is being used to pay HWVS debts to PayPal and CC companies.

Customers left high and dry, stolen from to the tune of thousands, maybe tens of thousands in Ireland alone. Extrapolate across Europe.

The boardsie/HWVS love-in was long overdue to be finished, HWVS are a gnat in the German tech scene & most under the age of 25 haven't even heard of them. Mindfactory, Alternate and ComputerUniverse are the staples for Germans.

If it's an extremely good deal on the monitor then make sure to pay via PP and enjoy the savings.

grindle wrote: »
    Well, they went into administration recently. For the week or two beforehand they were only allowing bank transfers. Nobody knew why, but HWVS made out like everything was fine and everything would be back to normal soon, to just use bank transfers in the meantime.

They announce their problems, everybody who paid via bank lost their money, got no produce as their cash is being used to pay HWVS debts to PayPal and CC companies.

Customers left high and dry, stolen from to the tune of thousands, maybe tens of thousands in Ireland alone. Extrapolate across Europe.

The boardsie/HWVS love-in was long overdue to be finished, HWVS are a gnat in the German tech scene & most under the age of 25 haven't even heard of them. Mindfactory, Alternate and ComputerUniverse are the staples for Germans.

If it's an extremely good deal on the monitor then make sure to pay via PP and enjoy the savings.
    jaysus thats nuts . fair enough might avoid them . are thos other companies you mentioned ok to deal with ? i just had a look there and computer universe and mind factory are the same price as harwareversand and about 250 less thatn scan / overclockers (prob down to bad exchange rate )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

jaysus thats nuts . fair enough might avoid them . are thos other companies you mentioned ok to deal with ? i just had a look there and computer universe and mind factory are the same price as harwareversand and about 250 less thatn scan / overclockers (prob down to bad exchange rate )

Mindfactory are sound afaik, used them myself a few times. Bunch here have used computer universe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Alternate

I haven't heard of them, and their website confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If it's an extremely good deal on the monitor then make sure to pay via PP credit card which is the only method with legal protection and enjoy the savings.

If you're at all worried then Credit Card is the only method which has a legally binding system of cross-border dispute resolution backed up by national law.

While PayPal may be good, there are no guarantees. There ARE guarantees with a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Has anyone experience using computeruniverse.net? Looking at ordering a new graphics card and monitor off them but have found very mixed reviews online - some good, some pretty bad. They're the only online retailer that will ship to where I live (not EU) and don't charge VAT on the order. But after the HVS saga I'm wary of getting caught out particularly as they seem to be slow to ship orders out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes I ordered a MSI 980ti from them last August, it shipped the next day after ordering and it was sent via DHL Paket Post. It took about 4 working days to get here and was delivered by An Post. No problems with my order anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Just a PSA for any of the hoarders out there.

Ordered a couple of drives from MindFactory. Arrived in a cardboard box and about 1" of bubblewrap around. Both drive were dead.

Could have got knocked in shipping, or it could have been the not-so-great packaging. Just keeping people aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Lads the search button on boards isn't great. Can anyone advise me on what it's like to deal with elara ? My son is trying hard to get rid of his money, I'm trying to reign him in a bit. He is getting a 1080 gaming card from America. He wants to buy an i7 processor and motherboard and all the extras here. Please help lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

emo72 wrote: »
    Lads the search button on boards isn't great. Can anyone advise me on what it's like to deal with elara ? My son is trying hard to get rid of his money, I'm trying to reign him in a bit. He is getting a 1080 gaming card from America. He wants to buy an i7 processor and motherboard and all the extras here. Please help lads.

He'll certainly get rid of his money with them they expensive. Why buy the 1080 in the US, you'll get stung for customs and have no comeback with any issues.

He says the card is being sourced from Europe! Naturally I'll be checking that out. Where are you guys recommending buying from these days? Case, i7 mobo, ram, PS, fans, we have drives and peripherals.

Cases/PSU - Amazon
    Everything else the German retailers mainly mindfactory.

Cases/PSU - Amazon
    Everything else the German retailers mainly mindfactory.

Well thanks, I'm on it. Mindfactory take credit card payment, or only bank transfer? I'm not a fan of bank transfer.

Creditcard, paypal etc.

Does he need an i7 or is he interested in cock-swinging?

Does he need an i7 or is he interested in cock-swinging?

Of course. Bigtime.

Ah no seriously though, if he's gaming there's no point pissing money into an i7

• Advertisement

Ah no seriously though, if he's gaming there's no point pissing money into an i7

No harm mate. He's obviously got the money to waste. He will use it for other stuff too. Maybe even solitaire.

If you get him to post a thread here we can help (assuming he doesn't know your Boards name and spot this first :P) Would probably help him a) spend less money, or b) get much better kit for the same money.

Sennheiser

Had a pair of earphones die on me.

Completed an online form (website wasn't the easiest to navigate)
    Downloaded and printed postage label
    Packaged earphones
    - This consisted of winding them up, and putting them in a box with some newspaper as padding, nothing else.
    Posted package
    Got an email two days later saying they'd received my earphones, and new ones were on the way.
    Got a delivery from UPS two days later, containing a brand new pair, complete with box and accessories.

Rating: A-
    (Some points taken off for not-super-duper-friendly website.

How old were they?

Around a year, not sure tbh. Two year warranty though. To be fair, they were in absolute bits. I was pretty sure they'd refuse it based on excessive wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What cans were they?

So, dilemma:

Build that should work, but may have some issues, would REALLY like Argos style no questions asked returns.

Amazon: Price for mobo jumped +20% right before I hit buy. Current price is way above historical average but no idea when they will return it to normal(or if low stock means auto-premium). Amazing CS though.

Mindfactory: No longer stocking it

Computer Universe: Normal price, how's CS?
    Caseking: +€10 but also how's CS?

EDIT:
    Ever hear of https://eucomtech.eu ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Never heard of eucomtech.eu but I noticed that they have a Trust Pilot logo at the top of the home page, but it wasn't an actual link to TP. So I go there manually, and find they have a grand total of one review on there! Not much help.

Never had to use Computer Universe CS before, but the few orders I placed with them in the past went pretty smoothly. CaseKing are the current owners of OcUK, so I imagine they have a similar CS operation to them.

ED E wrote: »
    What cans were they?

Nothing special, just a pair of in-ear Momentums. Excellent sound, but ergonomically a bit of a mess. Probably wouldn't buy them again.
    ED E wrote: »
    So, dilemma:

Build that should work, but may have some issues, would REALLY like Argos style no questions asked returns.

I'd love that sometimes... I'll go ahead an assume this is a dual socket 2011(-3, maybe?) board. I've been looking around for places that stock them as well, for... a side project. I'm sure you've figured this out, but it's a right pain in the sack to source parts like that. MindFactory is the best I've seen so far of the places I'm familiar with.

I assume you've checked Geizhals and gone through whoever has stock of it there?

• Advertisement

Yep, CU and Caseking were via Geizhals.

I've a CamelCamelCamel alert set up, staring down my inbox hoping to psychically change the amazon price back :pac:

Advertisement