Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

computeruniverse.net looks pretty good and direct shipping is cheap too. Plus they take credit cards, or pay with Amazon/Paypal.

I ordered a Corsair K40 from them [albeit while a bit drunk] and order a german layout. Realized just after they shipped. They were pretty helpful and understanding. Unfortunately, I was supposed to refuse the delivery at source to return it to them, but some idiot security guard at my company accepted it.
    Nice to deal with even after my own f**k up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

How much do they charge for direct shipping? Just wondering if they're worth it vs Amazon for singular products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Gumbi wrote: »
    How much do they charge for direct shipping? Just wondering if they're worth it vs Amazon for singular products.

It would appear to depend very much on both the weight and value of the item you are buying. For example, a €731 GPU with a package weight of 1.8Kg will cost €12.59 to ship by DHL (not sure if that is by DHL courier or by DHL Deutsche post) plus a €9 surcharge for using paypal or €12.77 for using a credit card. They look like a decent retailer, another one for the bookmarks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

levitronix wrote: »
    about 75 euro below retail, maybe more haven't got pricing yet, dollar is really strong, will need 3 buyers to order like last time, its takes four days from order and money upfront not needed

Would there be a full warranty?. I'm not a 100% yet but I'm considering upgrading soon. Let me know when you have a price.

EDIT:- Forgot OC'ing voids warranty anyway!

superg wrote: »
    Would there be a full warranty?. I'm not a 100% yet but I'm considering upgrading soon. Let me know when you have a price.

EDIT:- Forgot OC'ing voids warranty anyway!

I don't think it does for K chips, and in any case, they won't know if you damaged your chip via overclocking (very hard to do btw).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Gumbi wrote:
    I don't think it does for K chips, and in any case, they won't know if you damaged your chip via overclocking (very hard to do btw).

I thought that myself but found a reply to the question regarding K cpus from someone at Intel saying any change in frequency voids the warranty. Which is all a bit silly really when they are advertising them as great over clockers!

superg wrote: »
    I thought that myself but found a reply to the question regarding K cpus from someone at Intel saying any change in frequency voids the warranty. Which is all a bit silly really when they are advertising them as great over clockers!

They can't know you overclocked them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

levitronix wrote: »
    thinking of getting a few i7 6700k , a few boardsies got some stuff off me in January, just wondering if theres interest again

Can vouch for Levi there.

I bought an i5 around January I think, and have been loving my move to intel. Was also helpful in advising me about the various models(K, S etc.)

The price was extremely good value also and the transaction was hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Shougeki wrote: »
    I ordered a Corsair K40 from them [albeit while a bit drunk] and order a german layout. Realized just after they shipped. They were pretty helpful and understanding. Unfortunately, I was supposed to refuse the delivery at source to return it to them, but some idiot security guard at my company accepted it.
    Nice to deal with even after my own f**k up.

I accidentally bought a Spanish keyboard from the US a few weeks ago if you wanna swap.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I've spent about a €1000 on ComputerUniverse and would definitely recommend them. They have a dedicated call centre which I've used, so they're very easy to get through to for any queries or to resolve issues. Their prices are fairly decent also. And if you're ordering a high value order, it's worth changing you country settings to UK and getting it delivered to Parcel Motel in Northern Ireland as you can get another few quid off with the UKs lower VAT % :) Saved me about €40 when buying my 290s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

TheDoc wrote: »
    Can vouch for Levi there.

I bought an i5 around January I think, and have been loving my move to intel. Was also helpful in advising me about the various models(K, S etc.)

The price was extremely good value also and the transaction was hassle free.

Ditto. Absolutely no fuss with my 4790K. Happy out. :)

I love my 4790k. First time I won the silicon lottery was with that chip (though I did have the luck of having the choice of 3 chips lol) :)

Surely you didn't get to bin them though? I got a decidedly ****e 4790. :P

Serephucus wrote: »
    Surely you didn't get to bin them though? I got a decidedly ****e 4790. :P

I had 3 chips on hand, and tested them all. 2 normal (probably capping out at 4.5 and 4.6ghz at 1.3v~ which would be a typical max on air give or take 0.02v), and the third hits 4.9ghz at 1.31v :) HT on of course.

I sold the other 2. My brother got me and himself one via Intel, so we had 3 between us overall and kept 1. I think I could possibly hit 5ghz on air if I tweaked long enough with it, but it would be a stretch, as 1.31v at 4.9ghz gets into mid 80s when being benched.

You lucky git. :P

Maybe I should do what some people on OCN do and buy a bunch of different chips from a few different places, bench them all, then return all but the best...

I gotta say, I was pleased with it. :P One advantage is it basically made any upgrade for a few gens obsolete, as assuming a typical 4.6ghz overclock, my current chip would be superior for at least the next year or two (although I am reading reports of Skylake being cooler due to VRMs being moved back onto mobo and them typically heating higher overclocks than haswell so we shall see...).

To give you an idea, AFAIK (because I was playing with it the first few days I got it, and that was months ago) I think this thing needed something like 1.25 for 4.3.

That said, I'm running the thing at stock (it's that bad, I just wasn't arsed with it) undervolted, and the fan on my NH-D15 very rarely spins. I've got a totally silent PC outside of gaming. Even then I can barely hear it over in-game audio.

To give you an idea, AFAIK (because I was playing with it the first few days I got it, and that was months ago) I think this thing needed something like 1.25 for 4.3.

That said, I'm running the thing at stock (it's that bad, I just wasn't arsed with it) undervolted, and the fan on my NH-D15 very rarely spins. I've got a totally silent PC outside of gaming. Even then I can barely hear it over in-game audio.

Stock 4790k is nothing to sniff at. And sweet coolwr too!

I like the overclock for one or two games specifically, I'd run it way undervolted otherwise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Cheer up, under heavy load the Skylake-based i7 typically runs at a stock voltage of 1.3-1.4V for stock 4GHz :eek:

That said, Skylake undervolts well and is very new, suggesting platform stability issues that may be resolved once newer BIOSes are made available... On that note: have you tried OCing that old 4790K more recently with a newer BIOS? ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    Cheer up, under heavy load the Skylake-based i7 typically runs at a stock voltage of 1.3-1.4V for stock 4GHz :eek:

That said, Skylake undervolts well and is very new, suggesting platform stability issues that may be resolved once newer BIOSes are made available... On that note: have you tried OCing that old 4790K more recently with a newer BIOS? ;)

I am using a Z87x-D3H with the latest BIOS, so yes I guess :)

There was a problem with the 4790ks in that, due to high stock speed (4ghz which turboed to 4.4ghz from a base of 4.0ghz) it gave it REALLY high stock volts of 1.35v~. Basically it was like the auto overclock mode which always applies way too much voltage.

In fact I'm at 4.9ghz at less than the stock voltage technically ^^ at 1.31v.

I imagine this caused a lot of problem for less tech savvy consumers, I know it's not a problem just my motherboard had.

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »

I haven't actually. Might look into that. Hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

was pricing around for a pc case and got komplett coming up the cheapest by a tenner, just lettin people know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

was pricing around for a pc case and got komplett coming up the cheapest by a tenner, just lettin people know that!

What case was cheaper out if interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Lu Tze wrote: »
    What case was cheaper out if interest?

Cooler Master SIL-352M-KKN1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Going to order an R9 380 this evening - possibly from Hardwareversand, though I've not put it into any price comparison site.

What is the current go-to way of getting the best price/discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Avoid Hardwareversand. They recently went bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

KonFusion wrote: »
    Going to order an R9 380 this evening - possibly from Hardwareversand, though I've not put it into any price comparison site.

What is the current go-to way of getting the best price/discount?

Geizhals.eu is in English, quotes in Euro, and does all the big German/UK/Austrian/Polish sites. You can also make a "wish list", and it'll tell you the cheapest overall site or combination of 2 or 3 sites. Interface isn't great but it's well worth a look.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Thanks folks!

Dodged a bullet there on Hardwareversand - thanks Monotype.

Just had my first ever problem with Amazon (that isn't to do with the item itself).

Ordered a Moto X Play when it was on sale on Black Friday. Shipped fine, but never actually showed up, and is at the moment six days past the expected delivery date.

Called support. English speaking (after dealing with Dell a while ago, I can't stress how much of a plus this is). He looked into it and it turns out the package probably got shipped to the wrong sorting centre.

He placed a new order (sadly only standard delivery was available), and refunded me £20 pounds - though I did have to ask about that.

Overall very smooth. Hold times were pretty good, and there was no faffing about with "I'm waiting for the system to pull up your details" like there usually is for a half hour with Dell. A-, as some of the in-call hold times were a bit longer than I'd like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Just had my first ever problem with Amazon (that isn't to do with the item itself).

Ordered a Moto X Play when it was on sale on Black Friday. Shipped fine, but never actually showed up, and is at the moment six days past the expected delivery date.

Called support. English speaking (after dealing with Dell a while ago, I can't stress how much of a plus this is). He looked into it and it turns out the package probably got shipped to the wrong sorting centre.

He placed a new order (sadly only standard delivery was available), and refunded me £20 pounds - though I did have to ask about that.

Overall very smooth. Hold times were pretty good, and there was no faffing about with "I'm waiting for the system to pull up your details" like there usually is for a half hour with Dell. A-, as some of the in-call hold times were a bit longer than I'd like.

Have always found them superb to deal with. Few euro more on some items but one call or webchat with satisfactory tesults pays gor that excess

Advertisement