Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Congratulations, you're the first person I've heard of on this forum of carrying out something like that.

Maybe you don't have ownership of the files? Right-click on the old files, click properties. Then on the security tab, give yourself full control (make sure it's the username on the new install) or take ownership of the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Monotype wrote: »
    Congratulations, you're the first person I've heard of on this forum of carrying out something like that.

Maybe you don't have ownership of the files? Right-click on the old files, click properties. Then on the security tab, give yourself full control (make sure it's the username on the new install) or take ownership of the files.

thanks there's always the 1st one.

I have tried taking ownership of the files and I cant delete them at all.

It also seem that there's a replica of program files from the 32bit format which I cant delete as well, its just a mess.

On the C drive, you should have two programs files folders: Program Files and Program Files (x86). This is normal. The 32-bit programs go into the x86 folder. If there's stuff that you can't delete on the old partition, you can always format that partition again if you're completely finished with it and have no other files on it.

On the C drive, you should have two programs files folders: Program Files and Program Files (x86). This is normal. The 32-bit programs go into the x86 folder. If there's stuff that you can't delete on the old partition, you can always format that partition again if you're completely finished with it and have no other files on it.

I tried doing both steps and none worked.

The 32bit won't delete and windows wouldn't let me put it I the 64bit folders as its not compatible.

Also it seems I can't install some files as it says I don't have full control of the oc I don't know how that's possible.

Because of these I installed windows again, do right now I've windows 7 on 2 hard drives the local one C: is the corrupt one,
    I tried formatting it and it doesn't.

This gone from the frying pan to fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,038 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iv a CD rom that has only IDE connector, my motherboard doesnt have one

Am I better off getting a new Rom or IDE to SATA converter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I tried doing both steps and none worked.

The 32bit won't delete and windows wouldn't let me put it I the 64bit folders as its not compatible.

Also it seems I can't install some files as it says I don't have full control of the oc I don't know how that's possible.

Because of these I installed windows again, do right now I've windows 7 on 2 hard drives the local one C: is the corrupt one,
    I tried formatting it and it doesn't.

This gone from the frying pan to fire.

You need both Program Files and Program Files (x86). Some programs that simply don't support 64-bit get put in the x86 folder.
    don't be deleting either of them.

You need both Program Files and Program Files (x86). Some programs that simply don't support 64-bit get put in the x86 folder.
    don't be deleting either of them.

thanks for that.
    How do I solve the issue of having two os on difffernt drives ?

Right-click on Computer (in the start menu) and click on manage. Go down to the disk management to see where each partition is on your disk.

Next, can you outline clearly how many hard drives you have and how many partitions you have? State exactly which drive letter belongs to which and what is on those partitions.

My local disk is a C:, nothing is there as I managed to delete it, and my other partition is D:.

• Advertisement

How is there nothing there? Haven't you installed your new windows to the C drive - or do you mean that you have no files other than windows?

What's on D? Your old files? Where does this two copies of windows on different drives fit in? You have to give more details.

How is there nothing there? Haven't you installed your new windows to the C drive - or do you mean that you have no files other than windows?

What's on D? Your old files? Where does this two copies of windows on different drives fit in? You have to give more details.

On my C: drive I was able to format it so there's nothing in there.

On my D: drive that's we're my OS is based.

Now I would like to join those partitions which for some reason I can't join them.

Normally one if the drives should say extend volume but it's only showing shrink volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

You can't join two physical drives together without some cable - RAID is it?

Having your OS installed on the D drive isn't a great idea. :( A lot of programs get confused with it. I did it myself once by accident.

Is the C drive physically before or after the D drive? If it's after, you can usually extend across it. If it's before, then you might not be able to. You have to completely delete the empty partition first though.

Having your OS installed on the D drive isn't a great idea. :( A lot of programs get confused with it. I did it myself once by accident.

Is the C drive physically before or after the D drive? If it's after, you can usually extend across it. If it's before, then you might not be able to. You have to completely delete the empty partition first though.

Bollocks it's physically before the D drive ? What can I do to fix it ?

Well... you could move it to the other partition with cloning software.
    I've cloned between drives but I'm not sure I ever cloned to the same drive... you could have a look to see if the software supports it.

Acronis is easy enough to use:
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Alternatively, you can reinstall. I think this might be the only way to get it back to the "C" drive.

Well... you could move it to the other partition with cloning software.
    I've cloned between drives but I'm not sure I ever cloned to the same drive... you could have a look to see if the software supports it.

Acronis is easy enough to use:
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Alternatively, you can reinstall. I think this might be the only way to get it back to the "C" drive.
    Yea I've clone between hard drives but not the same. If I were to clone it would I be able to delete the D drive.

Assuming you had a successful clone, you would boot from the first half of the drive. Then you would delete the second part and you could merge it with the first.

Just thinking about it now... I wonder how the windows boot manager will handle it. If it's nice, it will give you two options to boot from and when in windows on the first partition, you could just delete the second. Otherwise you might have to find some other way of deleting it (like a linux live disc) and repair the boot sector.

Actually, it appears that you can extend backwards with some softwares. This guy used acronis. I don't know if the free WD version supports that.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/765530-why-cant-i-extend-volume/

It's a bit of a messy situation though because the fastest part of the drive is at the start and even if you defragment, the system files won't move. Also the files would be very spread around and you wouldn't be able to resize again easily.

Hi,

I managed to extend it by using EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition

But my local disk is now a D drive instead of a C drive but I dont mind.

Time to fix other issues.

Thanks for the help, I have not finished so you're not off the mark yet.. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Can't you just rename C: to like J: and D: to C: ?

EDIT: Missed last post, nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You can't rename the boot drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowmonkey

Brian wrote: »
    Lime iMac G3 babyyyy

apple_m4984_imac_g3_333_fruit_colors.jpg

I think it's still in my attic along with the G4 / Van Gogh. Back when Apple was a company for geeks :/

Would you sell the Lime G3?

hi guys a noobish question, I have a game installed on my old hard drive, I lost the Cd but still have the files on my old hard drive can I copy the files and re-install them on my new hard drive ?

Maybe. Some games write extra stuff to the registry and so moving around the game can break it. It really depends on the game though.

Maybe. Some games write extra stuff to the registry and so moving around the game can break it. It really depends on the game though.

this game is avp2, its about 12 -15yrs old.

Best thing to do it is try it and find out.

Best thing to do it is try it and find out.

I already did not with registry, I don't even know what that is. I clicked the icon, but it says theres no CD in drive, so tried flashing it woth daemon tools which isn't responding to it.

Then it's doing a CD check. Was it working before without the CD?

• Advertisement

Then it's doing a CD check. Was it working before without the CD?

yea it was working without the CD.

Advertisement