Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Guys I have 2kingston ram 2GB x 4, I have installed all of them and computer only recognizes 3 slots.

My motherboard is Asrock alivenf6g.

all my memory modules are identical.

So I don't know what the issue is.

When loading it detects 6016mb of ram, speecy also detects this as well.

I have interchanged them in different slots and its the something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

put one stick in each slot one at a time to see if you have a dead slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not too sure about your AVP2 problem. I would have though it would be CD check DRM but if it was working before, it must be missing some registry files. Best thing would be to look for the disc/get a new one... or find alternative ways around the CD check but I'm not going to discuss that here.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    put one stick in each slot one at a time to see if you have a dead slot.

yea I have a deadslot, makes no sense how it happened.

Monotype wrote: »
    Not too sure about your AVP2 problem. I would have though it would be CD check DRM but if it was working before, it must be missing some registry files. Best thing would be to look for the disc/get a new one... or find alternative ways around the CD check but I'm not going to discuss that here.

yea seems I will have to get one from another source. its too much hassle trying to fix this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Hey guys.
    I have a Sony Vaio VGN-Nr38e. And the sound keeps cutting off, and to get it working I have to (not very nice) stick something that can fit into it and depress it a certain way.
    If I am lucky it works for short while. I opened the laptop to see if I can get to the sound card or whatever it is, but no luck. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Only one left in stock, quickly grab it before the deal is gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Montgomerie

Looking at the Samsung 120Gb ssd for my build. Does it come with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter by default? I know some SSD's do but it lists nothing in the description on the hardwareversand page. If not where can I get one? Can't seem to locate one on Komplett, elara or hvws.

Also, where can one pick up some wire mesh for the PC case? Just to stop dust etc from going in through a particular hole in the case..

it doesn't come with one. depending on your case, you might not need a bracket though.

www2.hardwareversand.de/Misc./52900/Mach+Xtreme+Technology+6%2C35+cm+(2%2C5)+zu+8%2C90cm+(3%2C5)+SSD+Bracket.article

• Advertisement

Hi guys, what do you think of this motherboard?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asrock-990fx-extreme3-am3--amd-990fx-ddr3-atx-7XNH.html?q=am3&src=16

With its 4+1 power phase design, would it support the phenom x6 1090t?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=990FX%20Extreme3

Supports HDT90ZFBK6DGR(BE) AKA 1090T.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,038 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

question

iv a psu which is a few years old. I wasnt sure it power the mobo etc but it does but I think it at its limits because I tried to connect the front usb slots to the mobo but the pc wont even power up with the connection but will turn on without the connection

Am I right in think that is probably the psu causing that?

Headshot wrote: »
    question

iv a psu which is a few years old. I wasnt sure it power the mobo etc but it does but I think it at its limits because I tried to connect the front usb slots to the mobo but the pc wont even power up with the connection but will turn on without the connection

Am I right in think that is probably the psu causing that?

Sounds like a grounding issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,038 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

N64 wrote: »
    Sounds like a grounding issue?
    Could be it too

tbh I wasnt sure I was putting the connectors in right since its an old psu and the motherboard didnt have any instructions for vcc, port-, port+ and ground

yea im not worried about the speeds at all, its just the newegg reviews are horrible. OCZ typical reliability problems.
    well that went well.... :o

(OCZ Petrol 128gb SSD)

friends been having problems. unable to boot, and missing BSD. tried to fix it wasnt doing anything, so running a HD tune error check now, and im about 20% in and ive picked up 1 damaged sector already.

since these things have got so cheap, im hoping ill be able to refund and replace with an M4, but i doubt it be that easy. :(

can you even RMA due to a bad sector?

EDIT:

3 so far. had to stop it for a while to game cause HD tune eats resources.

That's a bit unfortunate. I notice that the supply of them have been cut back probably because they found they couldn't compete... although maybe the petrol is partially to thank for the price wars.

I'd say run a few more tests. HD tune is kind of geared more towards HDDs, so I'd run a few other programs to see what they say too.
    http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
    http://ssd-life.com/

Doesn't windows checkdisk mark off bad sectors so that they aren't used? I'm not sure that you could RMA on those grounds as you'll often find a few bad sectors on any kind of disc. It's a different story if they keep cropping up.

If the SSD isn't doing its job properly and you've done everything right, then you should RMA it. They mightn't give you your money back but maybe they might give replacements... even something from a higher line if they aren't producing them any more. Get firmware updates and everything as that will be the first thing they suggest. I would say that you'd have to push hard to get RMA authorisation due to the number of returns they likely have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120615PD210.html
    28nm graphics cards, the times we live in.

Hi guys, I am going to install my current CPU into a different motherboard later today. I bought this kit off dabs but unfortunately it does not include a cleaning cloth. Would the cloth you get included with specsavers do the job? Heres a link to the only picture I could find online of it.

Also just read this article:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/sandia_national_lab_starts_licensing_out_super_quiet_hyper-efficient_cpu_cooler

heres hoping we see something like this in our builds soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Hi guys, I am going to install my current CPU into a different motherboard later today. I bought this kit off dabs but unfortunately it does not include a cleaning cloth. Would the cloth you get included with specsavers do the job? Heres a link to the only picture I could find online of it.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/sandia_national_lab_starts_licensing_out_super_quiet_hyper-efficient_cpu_cooler

That should be fine, in general any low lint cloth will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

7970 Ghz edition reviews up.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/

It's on most other review sites as well. Doesn't look great, despite it being arguably the fastest single-GPU solution at the moment. Temps, noise and acoustics have taken a real hit.

Edit: Temps and noise are actually largely down to the poor stock cooler, but the point on power consumption still stands.

interesting cooler, but its hardly what I'd call silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Analysis on the current SSD price decrease with Intel dragging their feet of course.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23149

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

They're dropping in price like undergarments of a lady of the night. Think I paid 174 for a 120GB M4 a few months ago, always the way though.:)

I paid €165 for my 128gb Samsung 830... about 2 weeks before the prices hit the floor.

and you used the wrong smiley. its this one you're looking for:

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I haven't bought one yet, it's going to be less than a ton though.

Suppose I'd better use a smiley too...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I paid €165 for my 128gb Samsung 830... about 2 weeks before the prices hit the floor.

and you used the wrong smiley. its this one you're looking for:

:mad:

Nope, correct smiley. Always the way with the value with PC hardware, if I didn't smiler about it, I'd cry

UGGHHH. I absolutely hate the crappy stock fan that comes with the phenom x6 :mad::mad::mad: Just spent the last 45 min trying to get the clips on both sides. God forbid I will ever have to reinstall it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

UGGHHH. I absolutely hate the crappy stock fan that comes with the phenom x6 :mad::mad::mad: Just spent the last 45 min trying to get the clips on both sides. God forbid I will ever have to reinstall it :mad:

Is it the same one that comes on the x4? It's a total bitch.

• Advertisement

That's a fantastic fan that comes with the X6. Very quiet. Mind you, mine is only cooling an X3.
    AMD's fans are all a little different. I have a Sempron, X3, X4 and X6 fan... I think I took a photo of them...

209872.jpg

The sempron is a fairly sorry sized fan. I'm not a huge fan of their fans but I still think they do a better job than Intel with them. The first time I installed an AMD model fan, it took a lot of effort and I wasn't sure it was right. Afterwards, it wasn't so bad. I think you need to install more to be truly angry at a heatsink. :pac:
    Pardon all the puns!

Advertisement