Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Scouser wrote: »
    and?

if it was anything to do with a serious crime/conviction within that period, a GR would be sacked

Your not taking their family into consideration, they say your only not allowed in if your from a criminal family but I know a fella who never got in because something that his cousin in a different country did. It was a serious crime but his family are decent people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

thestar wrote: »
    Are those that are placed highest on the aptitude called 1st?

Well it's by order of merit so those highest on aptitude will get interview first, then depends how well they do in interview, might not be top in that, so they might have a bit of a wait for medical as others could have done better in interview

thekopend wrote: »
    Well it's by order of merit so those highest on aptitude will get interview first, then depends how well they do in interview, might not be top in that, so they might have a bit of a wait for medical as others could have done better in interview

Cheers, I'm probably gonna get eaten again but just having a read over the handbook here again. 32 weeks in the college is all the training is? Good news for reserves if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Cheers, I'm probably gonna get eaten again but just having a read over the handbook here again. 32 weeks in the college is all the training is? Good news for reserves if that's the case

How is it good news for reserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

want2b wrote: »

Things to talk about at interview i'm guessing!

Everyone should just worry about passing the Aptitude tests first! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Things to talk about at interview i'm guessing!

Everyone should just worry about passing the Aptitude tests first! :)

Talk about 32 weeks training if your a reserve??? I don't understand

32 weeks is a very short time frame and so Reserves will be the obvious and most practical choice for an interview board, genuinely can't believe its only 8 months, What was it before? I genuinely believe now that the reason it was shortened is because they will be taking mainly probated reserves with a good recommendation.

Talk about 32 weeks training if your a reserve??? I don't understand

I'm thinking he poorly worded his sentence and was talking about interview having an effect on the merit list (which he/she thinks is good for him, as he/she is a reserve!) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Do reserves do fitness tests ?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Do reserves do fitness tests ?

for the reserve?

no. Just medical

• Advertisement

32 weeks is a very short time frame and so Reserves will be the obvious and most practical choice for an interview board, genuinely can't believe its only 8 months, What was it before? I genuinely believe now that the reason it was shortened is because they will be taking mainly probated reserves with a good recommendation.

Why ? Everything will be taught again from scratch + they more than likely won't get enough 'probated' reserves to pass through the selection process!
    Don't start this crap about the reserve again!

Why ? Everything will be taught again from scratch + they more than likely won't get enough 'probated' reserves to pass through the selection process!
    Don't start this crap about the reserve again!

I'm not even in the reserve but I'm sorry now that I'm not. How long was the training during other intakes?

I'm not even in the reserve but I'm sorry now that I'm not. How long was the training during other intakes?

I apologise then so ! :P
    Not too sure about that, I did know at one stage but have since forgotten! I know this one is going to be 32 weeks in Templemore and a further 72 weeks of 'on the job learning' apparently! I think some people believe its only going to be 32 weeks !

for the reserve?

no. Just medical

And they don't do aptitude tests either ?
    Im not being smart but you could be the best garda reserve in the country but if you dont pass the aptitude test for the full time....where does that leave you ? Still a reserve and only that.
    Lets not go down the route of this again.. reservists v other people applying not to forget V the people who were on the panel blah blah blah.
    We all had to apply the same way and we are doing our best to compete with and help each other at the same time.

This thread years ago was full of helpful people and now all that seems to happen is nit picking and what not.

We could all very well end up down there at the same together... im a former axed panel member who passed everything in 2008/9, I could be training with a reserve for the past 5 years and we might have a person sitting in the middle of us who barely has a clue.

Sorry for the long and boring post but guys...come on :)

Im not being smart but you could be the best garda reserve in the country but if you dont pass the aptitude test for the full time....where does that leave you ? Still a reserve and only that.
    L

well i would say that that is a travesty in itself and shows the shortcomings of a computerized aptitude test

how somebody could be out there doing a great policing job in their community yet a computer would rule them out, well, its all very irish really

Still a reserve and only that? some of you would be honoured to claim to be a Reserve. They do the job you crave so much. a little bit of respect for the rank ann lewis

but i do agree, we need to be more helpful and less unhelpful

well i would say that that is a travesty in itself and shows the shortcomings of a computerized aptitude test

how somebody could be out there doing a great policing job in their community yet a computer would rule them out, well, its all very irish really

Still a reserve and only that? some of you would be honoured to claim to be a Reserve. They do the job you crave so much. a little bit of respect for the rank ann lewis

but i do agree, we need to be more helpful and less unhelpful

I am extremly respectful scouser.. work commitments and other community commitments ruled me out for the reserve however some reserves on here appear to think they will fly this process from start to finish, aptitude tests and so forth. Its not as easy as that as some will find out. I myself am not expecting great news in the next few days due to the new style of aptitude testing.

Anyway...like I said...lets not go down this route. We've been there and it wasnt great.

Stage 1 results - tomorrow perhaps ??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I am extremly respectful scouser.. work commitments and other community commitments ruled me out for the reserve however some reserves on here appear to think they will fly this process from start to finish, aptitude tests and so forth. Its not as easy as that as some will find out. I myself am not expecting great news in the next few days due to the new style of aptitude testing.

Anyway...like I said...lets not go down this route. We've been there and it wasnt great.

Stage 1 results - tomorrow perhaps ??? :)

I hear that.

But I think the majority are in the same boat, so there's no point in stressing about it until we get the news.

What will be will be.

Its not as easy as that as some will find out.

i dont think theres a soul out there who has claimed stage 1 was easy

i dont think theres a soul out there who has claimed stage 1 was easy

I was referring to the whole process from stage 1 not just stage 1 alone

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

No point talking about reserves at the moment. They may have an advantage in the interview stage but who said they will even make it through the 3 aptitude tests. No ones through yet boys !

• Advertisement

oreilly94 wrote: »
    No point talking about reserves at the moment. They may have an advantage in the interview stage but who said they will even make it through the 3 aptitude tests. No ones through yet boys !

agreed

widespread disappointment is only round the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

Hi everyone! I'm also awaiting results ***bricking it****!

Does anyone out there know how many people actually took the exams?
    Just because 20,000 people applied in the application process doesn't mean 20,000 did the 1st stage!
    So instead of me saying I have a 1 in 20,000 chance... id like to say I have a 1 in 18,000 chance!
    Makes it sound better :P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

I get a text from publicjobs to log in for new message. Are we going to be emailed our results or will it come thru on publicjobs website does anyone know? I'd presume its thru publicjobs!
    "Candidates will have results BY 12th" so tomorrow must be D-Day!!! Im trying not to get my hopes up but fingers crossed!!!

Kimiko2012 wrote: »
    I get a text from publicjobs to log in for new message. Are we going to be emailed our results or will it come thru on publicjobs website does anyone know? I'd presume its thru publicjobs!
    "Candidates will have results BY 12th" so tomorrow must be D-Day!!! Im trying not to get my hopes up but fingers crossed!!!

When did you get this text?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Probably better to check the message on PJ first then post here... :)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Probably better to check the message on PJ first then post here... :)

Was thinking the same. Didn't get one here. I think he was asking if he got a messeage perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Rothmans wrote: »
    When did you get this text?

No I was just saying they text me first the last 3 emails I got from them. I was wondering coz everyone is saying they're checking their emails but they've always text me first to check online! Sorry for the confusion! :-/ I have to check my personal emails manually I was wondering if we get it emailed to us or is it through P. jobs?

Kimiko2012 wrote: »
    No I was just saying they text me first the last 3 emails I got from them. I was wondering coz everyone is saying they're checking their emails but they've always text me first to check online! Sorry for the confusion! :-/ I have to check my personal emails manually I was wondering if we get it emailed to us or is it through P. jobs?
    You will get an email/text from PJ asking you to log on and check a new message, all correspondence is through PJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Anyway, back on topic, I'd imagine Kimiko2012 is right, we'll get a text to say we've a public jobs message first

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Anyway, back on topic, I'd imagine Kimiko2012 is right, we'll get a text to say we've a public jobs message first

Provided you have text alert option selected

Advertisement