Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I already changed it, but thanks for quoting it in full!

I'll already changed that myself before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Cool, it's easy to trip up and forget! If I had that questionnaire to do over a 100 times I don't think it would be any better, same for the aptitude tests. I think some people are better suited to these personality assessments and tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Cool, it's easy to trip up and forget! If I had that questionnaire to do over a 100 times I don't think it would be any better, same for the aptitude tests. I think some people are better suited to these personality assessments and tests.

Oh I know, it's hard to determine sometimes what is too much. I did the same just before you and then thought better about it. Wasn't trying to be smart or anything just thought maybe you didn't know about it. And you are right, those test are designed that way. You either have it naturally or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭james998964

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Answered 25 out of the 42?

I answered 25 as well. Completely forgot about timer of doom :/ I reckon im ruined??!!

Got 18/20 for other yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I answered 25 as well. Completely forgot about timer of doom :/ I reckon im ruined??!!

Got 18/20 for other yoke.

Who knows, depends how many you got right and how many everyone else got right I'd expect, good luck anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

is the last testing batch this weekend?

or are there some next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Scouser wrote: »
    is the last testing batch this weekend?

or are there some next week?

Last one was yeatserday far as I know

thekopend wrote: »
    Last one was yeatserday far as I know

so stage 1 is over?

dun dun dun!

so stage 1 is over?

dun dun dun!

Yeah, God knows when we will get that email, I'll be half afraid to open it haha

I think we'll all be in the same boat. The tests were very tricky. I don't know why the results are going to take so long to be processed. You'd imagine it would be pretty much instantaneous when it was done electronically, but it's going to be a long wait til the end of February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

I think we'll all be in the same boat. The tests were very tricky. I don't know why the results are going to take so long to be processed. You'd imagine it would be pretty much instantaneous when it was done electronically, but it's going to be a long wait til the end of February

It would be nice to know how many will be getting through to stage 2. Not sure if I will be anyways, not very happy with my tests.

All it said in the information we got was that people would be called forward in batches as required. That's as clear as mud! I don't think anyone is happy with their tests. I know I'm not. There's nothing we can do about it now though. It's tough but with so many applying, it's an employers market and the Gárdaí can be very very selective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Lads your going to drive yourselves crazy worrying.

Nobody knows what's going to happen. If ye do pass this your going to be worrying about the next test, and the next one, and the interview etc.

Once you try your best that's all you can do.

I know I'll be devastated if I don't progress, but so will thousands of others.

If your good enough, and lucky enough, one day you will make it.

I know some people don't have the luxury of time, and the tests are a bit like Russian roulette

I completely agree! There are 25,000 people in this recruitment drive. If we don't get through this time it won't mean that we're failures. In fact I'm sure that lots of us well be above average but we won't get any where because of the numbers involved. No one is going to be a loser or a failure. It's important that every one knows that!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Wouldn't you think that the result should be pretty instant seeing as it was an online test ?

mycro89 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think that the result should be pretty instant seeing as it was an online test ?

I said that too. I can't understand why it's going to take til the end of February. Without being too critical it's a long time for us to wait, and it's nerve wrecking for most of us cos we care so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Based on the old system what was the return like with the results?

I completely agree! There are 25,000 people in this recruitment drive. If we don't get through this time it won't mean that we're failures. In fact I'm sure that lots of us well be above average but we won't get any where because of the numbers involved. No one is going to be a loser or a failure. It's important that every one knows that!

great point!

sure the last batch in back in 2007/08 had something like 1000 people go for 500 jobs or something

great point!

sure the last batch in back in 2007/08 had something like 1000 people go for 500 jobs or something

Well it was around 10 or 12 thousand but it was way less than now!

Well it was around 10 or 12 thousand but it was way less than now!

not for the last crowd as far as im aware.....

• Advertisement

not for the last crowd as far as im aware.....

I was reading back trough the garda recruitment archived thread and it was mentioned somewhere about how much applied not Sure if it was the last one but it was no earlier than 2007 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I was reading back trough the garda recruitment archived thread and it was mentioned somewhere about how much applied not Sure if it was the last one but it was no earlier than 2007 I'd say

I was reading some info through the net, again its the net so not sure how valid it is, but there was from 2004-2006 around 2000 gardai recruited, which is a massive amount, again don't know if this is true as I was only reading it on the net, and I take it all with a pinch of salt, lol, but maybe some on here would know. I'm afraid folks we're all a victim of the times as they say.

Exactly. There are such high numbers applying this time. Only the cream of the crop will get accepted.....

Here's a thought that should help everyone. The kinds of people that will be do well are the people that do well at aptitude tests. It's like everything else in life. Politicians are really good at winning elections but hopeless at running the country. So, let's not kid ourselves, the aptitude tests aren't a fair reflection of how good a person is. Some people have posted on here and they seem ultra confident while others have been pretty realistic and have genuinely said that they haven't done great with the tests!

I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't do great on the tests. I found them pretty tricky. I'm also going to tell the truth and say that I've got a BA and a Masters. I'm no dummy but again I have to reiterate that the tests were very tricky for a number of reasons. No one should feel low or depressed if results are bad.!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Exactly. There are such high numbers applying this time. Only the cream of the crop will get accepted.....

Here's a thought that should help everyone. The kinds of people that will be do well are the people that do well at aptitude tests. It's like everything else in life. Politicians are really good at winning elections but hopeless at running the country. So, let's not kid ourselves, the aptitude tests aren't a fair reflection of how good a person is. Some people have posted on here and they seem ultra confident while others have been pretty realistic and have genuinely said that they haven't done great with the tests!

I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't do great on the tests. I found them pretty tricky. I'm also going to tell the truth and say that I've got a BA and a Masters. I'm no dummy but again I have to reiterate that the tests were very tricky for a number of reasons. No one should feel low or depressed if results are bad.!

Good point archer. Aptitude tests are not fair on people that haven't done a test in years but would make great Guards.

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Shifty13 wrote: »
    Good point archer. Aptitude tests are not fair on people that haven't done a test in years but would make great Guards.

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Not really fish have a memory span of only 3/4 seconds it's not just goldfish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

great point!

Ya. That's not true. It was somewhere between 11k and 12k...
    After the results of this aptitude test, it won't be far off the same kind of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Shifty13 wrote: »

Aptitude tests are an extremely fair way of doing it imo.
    It ensures everyone has the same chance of passing and does no favors for people with "pull" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Just say you were to have 'pull'. At what stage should this pull be mentioned, if at all? I'm speaking theoretically.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

lukesmom wrote: »
    Just say you were to have 'pull'. At what stage should this pull be mentioned, if at all? I'm speaking theoretically.

Doesnt help any more to have "pull" in any of these stage as they are controlled by public appointments. Gardai only take over at physical/medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

mfergus wrote: »
    Ya. That's not true. It was somewhere between 11k and 12k...
    After the results of this aptitude test, it won't be far off the same kind of competition.
    Just over 1400 people applied in May 2008, the last recruitment campaign to take place. Over half of them went forward to interview.

That will not be the case this time around!

Advertisement