Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

So is today the last day for the stage one aptitude test? Or are there more commencing after this batch?

There was Stage 1 taking place Tuesday to Friday this week too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Hi folks, I have my tests submitted and all from last night, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this information I heard was accurate, a friend said that this current campaign will provide Gardai for the next couple of years? this could be just guff, and rumours, but just thought I would ask on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hi folks, I have my tests submitted and all from last night, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this information I heard was accurate, a friend said that this current campaign will provide Gardai for the next couple of years? this could be just guff, and rumours, but just thought I would ask on here.

Yeah, pretty sure that that was mentioned above and a quote from the minister was also posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty sure that that was mentioned above and a quote from the minister was also posted

Ok that's pretty cool if that is to happen, the 300 jobs against the masses doesn't seem as impossible if they are to take on more for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Ok that's pretty cool if that is to happen, the 300 jobs against the masses doesn't seem as impossible if they are to take on more for the next few years.

Exactly, don't worry if you do not get it this year, you could get it next year or the year after :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Yeah if you read on Kildarestreet.ie minister shatter says that the people who have applied will be considered for 2014, 2015 & 2016. So obviously if he sticks to his word there are plenty more jobs than 300 or so for this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WARRIOR08

Just took the test there. Went a bit crazy in the abstract reasoning let the timer push me a bit to hard I think. The Verbal reaosning went fairly well now got about 33-35 done but not sure how many are correct. But otherwise I feel positive.
    Are you ment to get a comformation email or anything of that sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

WARRIOR08 wrote: »
    Just took the test there. Went a bit crazy in the abstract reasoning let the timer push me a bit to hard I think. The Verbal reaosning went fairly well now got about 33-35 done but not sure how many are correct. But otherwise I feel positive.
    Are you ment to get a comformation email or anything of that sort?

I didn't get one. I'm not sure if we do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I didn't get one. I'm not sure if we do

Neither did i but after the test it said thank you your results are being successfully stored or something to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

What are people's thoughts on the following?

When will next campaign be after this one? 2017/18?

Do you see the reserves gradually becoming bigger and equipped with better training/powers? Similar to uk police system,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Are the results out ...

mycro89 wrote: »
    Are the results out ...

End of February

Canyon86 wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on the following?

When will next campaign be after this one? 2017/18?

Do you see the reserves gradually becoming bigger and equipped with better training/powers? Similar to uk police system,

What's the difference between the Irish and uk systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

What's the difference between the Irish and uk systems?

The uk psco officers have more responsibility than the reserves do here,

They are involved in a number of areas in different units,

And finally it is seen as -way in- to the real police :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Canyon86 wrote: »
    The uk psco officers have more responsibility than the reserves do here,

They are involved in a number of areas in different units,

And finally it is seen as -way in- to the real police :)

If joining the reserves became a quicker process and say they limited your time to say 2 years then it'd be a step in the right direction.

Expecting a person to work in the reserves for free for years and years is unfair. I also think having them in different units would be a mistake. Just give them the basic powers and leave it at that..

Can anyone give an opinion on canyon's original question? when will the next external recruitment take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

carzony wrote: »
    If joining the reserves became a quicker process and say they limited your time to say 2 years then it'd be a step in the right direction.

Expecting a person to work in the reserves for free for years and years is unfair. I also think having them in different units would be a mistake. Just give them the basic powers and leave it at that..

Can anyone give an opinion on canyon's original question? when will the next external recruitment take place?

Well if this campaign is being used up to 2016 then maybe same as this year, campaign kicking off end of 2016 early 2017 to have recruits for 2017 and so on. It makes the numbers situation better for successfull applicants but it also makes the possibility of not getting through the tests this time gut wrenching, another 3/4 year wait :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

thekopend wrote: »
    Well if this campaign is being used up to 2016 then maybe same as this year, campaign kicking off end of 2016 early 2017 to have recruits for 2017 and so on. It makes the numbers situation better for successfull applicants but it also makes the possibility of not getting through the tests this time gut wrenching, another 3/4 year wait :/

Then another massive number of people to compete against. Although surely the economy will be in a more secure state and they'll definetely need to start recruiting huge numbers by then if not sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

carzony wrote: »
    Then another massive number of people to compete against. Although surely the economy will be in a more secure state and they'll definetely need to start recruiting huge numbers by then if not sooner.

well they cant/wont go below 13,000 so they will be constantly topping up from here on out, replacing those who retire

Scouser wrote: »
    well they cant/wont go below 13,000 so they will be constantly topping up from here on out, replacing those who retire

They need to recruit more then 300 a year though. It's really not enough.

I know there was a moratorium but recruitment should of started at least 3 years ago.

The government shouldn't of let it get to this position.

Especially when the defence forces started recruiting in 2012. They recruited 600 for the navy and the army that year, and people off the panel were called up and started last autumn. Also they're recruiting again this spring. The Gardai have to wait until 2014, and there's no definite numbers of how many they'll take on. Now they say that there going to use the competition for the next three years. Why did they not say that at the start when they were advertising?

On a plus side it's great to see regular recruitment beginning again, I just hope I'm one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

They need to recruit more then 300 a year though. It's really not enough.

On a plus side it's great to see regular recruitment beginning again, I just hope I'm one of them.

amen to both of the above! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I just did mine there. I got to the end of the discovery with three unanswered and about a minute to go, stabbed a guess at one of those three and left the other two blank. Would be fairly confident I did well in the ones I answered.
    For the verbal, I got them all done with a minute and 30 seconds to spare and had a quick flick through some of the answers. Not as confident on these, everything seemed logical enough but on occasion the language is a bit vague in the questions for the "cannot say" option to be clear.
    I fairly flew through the questionnaire, anyone else pick up on the poor grammar in some of the scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rusty Fox

Just finished. 15 of the 20 abstract completed and 29 of the 42 verbal completed. My aim was for quality rather than quantity but when the counter hits 59 secs there is a big temptation to start clicking. Happy enough with what I answered but only time will tell. Best of luck to anyone with the tests still to do.
    I'm of to have a coffee and a slice of toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

Hi Everyone,

I just joined boards.ie as I was interested in this thread.
    I've just completed my stage 1 assessments 15 mins ago. I'm still a bit stressed! I completed 17 out of 20 on the discovering rules test, and completed all of the verbal reasoning test. Not sure how accurate I was in either though.
    When I was preparing, I found the discovering rules type questions easier than the verbal, but it was definitely the other way around today in the actual test.
    I really would love to see the correct answers as I'm dying of curiosity here, but having dealt with cut-e before I know they never give those out, even to the people doing the hiring. My friend is a recruiter and calls them the 'cute hoors'!

Does anyone know what stage 2 comprises?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I'm not sure if this has been asked already but does anyone know what the weighting of the questionnaire and tests are. I can't imagine that you get marks for the questionnaire as there doesn't seem to be right or wrong answers. It's really more of a personality test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been asked already but does anyone know what the weighting of the questionnaire and tests are. I can't imagine that you get marks for the questionnaire as there doesn't seem to be right or wrong answers. It's really more of a personality test.

The questionairre, based on your answers, will tell how compatible you as a person are of being a member of AGS. Believe me, a lot of people will be deemed unsuitable by their answers on it and will not be asked back for stage 2

Devil08 wrote: »
    The questionairre, based on your answers, will tell how compatible you as a person are of being a member of AGS. Believe me, a lot of people will be deemed unsuitable by their answers on it and will not be asked back for stage 2

Yep, I agree. Everyone thinks the questionnaire is easy, but a couple of wrong answers there and you may be deemed unsuitable and your verbal and abstract may not even matter!

I answered honestly to all the questions, even when some times it might have been wiser to tell a white lie. I just think that if you give all safe answers then they're going to know you're not being 100% truthful. It's impossible to know what the right approach is. None of us know what's required. The process has changed so much even since the last recruitment drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

It's impossible to know how they mark the questionnaire. Maybe like Kersplat! and Devil08 have said that you're either suitable or not depending on your answers. I kind of thought there were no right or wrong answers cos some of the questions involved******* . It's kind of interesting at the moment with the whistle blower scandal, cos in some cases , ***************. I think most of us know now that you keep quiet no matter what!
    Hey archer, just mind specifics, I just had to delete a post because I wasn't sure if I could now give stuff away or if I was saying too much. Anyway, what is interesting with the scenarios is that people got different ones.

Unless, my computer was malfunctioning could someone tell me if you could skip the scenarios, that would be my worst nightmare, double clicking and not having them done. I don't think I got any one that involved what you said. Also I know mine weren't the same as someone elses so we must have had different ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

It's impossible to know how they mark the questionnaire. Maybe like Kersplat! and Devil08 have said that you're either suitable or not depending on your answers. I kind of thought there were no right or wrong answers cos some of the questions involved how you'd respond to certain situations. Some of the time, the options you were given all seemed reasonable or you might actually just do one thing first, then another thing if that didn't work and so on. In some cases, all of the solutions might work, and might all be needed as the situation escalated.

A lot of the situations might seem acceptable to a lot of people. Some of them aren't. There is usually one option which is the most suitable however. Gardai need to think on their feet and do what they feel is right at the time. So that exercise is to see how good your judgement is and how appropriate your decision making is.
    It's quite effective as you can only be honest. Lying won't do you any good on it

• Advertisement

I already changed it, but thanks for quoting it in full!

Advertisement