Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

You get sent an email by publicjobs that includes the the link and the timeslot you can access it.

How does the panel work? Stage 4 is the interview, so I presume if you get called back after that you'll soon be on your way to Templemore. Is the panel for people who don't get to Stage 4?

The panel is the pool of applicants that they use for the interviews. Its usually 1 in 4 interviews is successful. Based on this,if they intend on recruiting 800 recruits over the next 3 years, they will need a panel of at least 3000.

Let me emphasise this is guesswork based on past campaigns. God knows what they will do this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Just finished there. Not entirely happy with them but sure look, it's done, no point in dwelling on it. Finished both which I wasn't expecting.
    The verbal reasoning was the same as another recent emergency services aptitude test- if I ever have to read about that particular piece of text again I'll scream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Got all except one answered in the abstract, even had a few seconds to go back to it but I couldn't figure it out so thought better to leave it blank. Got all the verbal done with about 50 secs to spare so I went back to one or two that I had doubts about

There's no negative marking in the abstract. The tutorial at the start encourages you to answer all questions.
    Rothmans wrote: »
    The panel is the pool of applicants that they use for the interviews. Its usually 1 in 4 interviews is successful. Based on this,if they intend on recruiting 800 recruits over the next 3 years, they will need a panel of at least 3000.
    So will a select amount of those who get to Stage 4 get their interview now, then either pass or fail, then the next group gets interviewed at the next intake and either passes or fails?
    Or will all 3000 be interviewed now, with the top few selected to go on now, and the rest form the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

over the line with the tests

got everything answered much to my surprise!

think i did well, would be hoping for advancement to stage 2

but we shall see!

big weight of the shoulders i must say

I never want to do anything like it again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Scouser wrote: »
    I never want to do anything like it again

I wonder what the Stage 2 online tests will consist of? More of the same, or more of a focus on job simulation questions?

Time will tell I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭abcdef1

When will people know if the passed and will be moving on to the next stage does anyone know ? And what is the next stage ? Fitness or...?? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adrian2

abcdef1 wrote: »
    When will people know if the passed and will be moving on to the next stage does anyone know ? And what is the next stage ? Fitness or...?? Thanks :)

As far as I'm aware by the end of Feb all will be notified of their progress onto stage 2 (more online tests) or of their failure at stage 1. It's all on the familiarisation booklet you got when applying initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Well, I just did mine there and can't say that it went well. It didn't go horribly wrong either but I'd be worried about the verbal. I didn't get them all done but I hadn't really planned on doing them all anyway. Rushing is the problem.

Edit: longhalloween, there is negative marking in the abstract. It said there was negative marking in both tests in the booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi all,

I did them this morning,

Happy with the verbal I think,

Abstract I found tricky,eventhough I did rakes of practice, gutted :(

Good luck all,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Did mine last night. didnt get both finished but hopeful of doing well in both. Thought the verbal was by far the most difficult of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Andrea345 wrote: »
    Edit: longhalloween, there is negative marking in the abstract. It said there was negative marking in both tests in the booklet.

That's weird. In the introduction to the test it says 'if you're unsure what the right answer is, choose an answer that seems right to you. Avoid guessing' There's no mention of negative marking in the rules.

I thought that implied that you should answer all questions.

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I did them this morning,

Happy with the verbal I think,

Abstract I found tricky,eventhough I did rakes of practice, gutted :(

Good luck all,

Me too but with the time pressure it just happens. sometimes you can't see what is in front of your face when in another environment you would. As long as you get right what you have done there is hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Andrea345 wrote: »
    Me too but with the time pressure it just happens. sometimes you can't see what is in front of your face when in another environment you would. As long as you get right what you have done there is hope yet.

Practice abstract does not allow you to finish until you select an answer unless you run the clock down which is odd because the practice verbal does allow you to finish if you choose to skip a question. The handbook definitely states negative marking for both aptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Hi all, did the tests last night and to be honest i dont think i did too well... THe questionnaire was easy enough - however some of the questions were hard to say and they asked the same questions in different styles to trick you out... (the best answers are not always the right answers - thats the key to the questionnaire). For the verbal i found it ok (got to 36 out of 42 - but i took my time - guessed a few tho)... But for the abstract i think i made a mess - got 16 out of 20 done - but guessed 6 (dont even think i would have got 10 right).... pure gutted!! Does anyone know for the abstract how many out of 20 you'd need to get right to pass? i was thinking 12+~?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Mark37 wrote: »
    Hi all, did the tests last night and to be honest i dont think i did too well... THe questionnaire was easy enough - however some of the questions were hard to say and they asked the same questions in different styles to trick you out... (the best answers are not always the right answers - thats the key to the questionnaire). For the verbal i found it ok (got to 36 out of 42 - but i took my time - guessed a few tho)... But for the abstract i think i made a mess - got 16 out of 20 done - but guessed 6 (dont even think i would have got 10 right).... pure gutted!! Does anyone know for the abstract how many out of 20 you'd need to get right to pass? i was thinking 12+~?

There's no point worrying. There's no way of knowing how well we did.

I'd say that there going to put the people that got at least 50% in the test through to the next stage. So 10 in the abstract, and 21 in the verbal. That's just my opinion.

When I did the test for 2008 I passed. A few weeks later I was sent a breakdown of my results. Out of 40 abstract question you needed 19 to pass. I got 19 and I didn't finish. It might be something similar.

I wouldn't worry about the guessing part. You just went with your instinct.

Good luck anyway. I hope you progress further

That's weird. In the introduction to the test it says 'if you're unsure what the right answer is, choose an answer that seems right to you. Avoid guessing' There's no mention of negative marking in the rules.

I thought that implied that you should answer all questions.

I know what you're saying, in one part it suggested guessing but when you took the next line with it, what it really meant was try to answer not just pick one. But yes there is negative marking. I think that line was thrown in there to confuse.

You would think because it's online, the results would be quicker, that they would have some automatic system calculating the results and placing people in order of merit. I think I did average but with so many applying , average may not be good enough, anyway it's over I'm chilling out and relaxing.

Mark37 wrote: »

theres no pre set pass mark

its all based on the overall average of all candidates scores combined and they then pick a percentile above that avergae who will advance

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Jesus the nerves are getting the better of me now. I have until Thursday to complete them.
    I want them out of the way but I feel I need to keep practising as well.
    The killer part is the waiting to see how I actually got on.

Jesus the nerves are getting the better of me now. I have until Thursday to complete them.
    I want them out of the way but I feel I need to keep practising as well.
    The killer part is the waiting to see how I actually got on.

iv just got over my apprehension tbh!

just keep the head in the practice material and your brain will tell you when your ready

get stuck in and do your best

I just finished. Did not complete either test. Just hope I done well with the ones I answered. Goodluck to everyone.

• Advertisement

Scouser wrote: »
    iv just got over my apprehension tbh!

just keep the head in the practice material and your brain will tell you when your ready

get stuck in and do your best

I was doing alright last night with the practice stuff but this morning I was doing absolutely horrible for some reason so just decided to knock it on the head and get on with the actual test. Glad its over.

redout wrote: »
    I was doing alright last night with the practice stuff but this morning I was doing absolutely horrible for some reason so just decided to knock it on the head and get on with the actual test. Glad its over.

i reached a plateau myself and decided im not going to improve anymore so accepted the time was at hand

so went in and got it done.

happy i did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Did tests this morning. Verbal is difficult, only got 25 answered! The timing more than anything is the hard part.
    Abstract is fine, couple of difficult ones but I answered them all
    Good luck to all doing them today!

If I don't get called for stage 2 after this exam, I'm not applying ever again. I wouldn't be able for it.
    It's like the X factor, dreams crushed, knock out stages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭killer91

Did the test this morning.

In the verbal I just about completed it all. Its hard to distinguish between the False and Cant Tell at times.

The abstract reasoning I thought was Ok and had some time to spare.

I previously did the PSNI IST which I passed and I felt that the IST was much more difficult especially with the time constraints in the IST.

Does anybody know when we find out if we go through to the next stage.

Does anybody know when we find out if we go through to the next stage.[/quote]

February, not sure on the date though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Devil08 wrote: »
    Did tests this morning. Verbal is difficult, only got 25 answered! The timing more than anything is the hard part.
    Abstract is fine, couple of difficult ones but I answered them all
    Good luck to all doing them today!

Answered 25 out of the 42?

If its like the civil service jobs that were up on PublicJobs then you can be waiting 2 or 3 weeks to get the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Answered 25 out of the 42?

Yea the time flew by! Don't know how some people answered them all! I'm confident the ones I answered I got right though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Devil08 wrote: »
    Yea the time flew by! Don't know how some people answered them all! I'm confident the ones I answered I got right though

I answered them all and had time to go back and check one I was iffy about. Now that's not to say I got them all right but I'm happy with the time I spent on each one and happy with the answers I gave. Good luck :)

Advertisement