Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ladymuck Thesecond

I just did my Verbal Reasoning and Discover Rules Section - I didn't feel that went well at all. I was caught for time on both, wasn't even close to finishing. At the end there i was just clicking on random answers as I didn't have a clue!
    i tried to log in to do my Questionnaire but it keeps telling me "Error Your session may have timed out or no valid HTML link to access this system has been provided.Please use the link provided to access the system. If you are having trouble accessing the system, please contact support. Please also make sure that cookies are enabled on your browser"
    Did anyone else have this problem? I just contacted support there. Its a pain though, I just wanted to get them done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

dalyja1892 wrote: »
    in the verbal test are the tabs and questions the same as the practice test?

The same layout you mean. They wouldn't have the same questions that everybody has practiced on already. Although hey that sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

Just did it there, thought I did ok can't really tell, went the leaving questions blank I wasn't happy with instead of taking a guess route.
    Not really sure what else I could of done if I had a couple extra days so happy enough.
    Don't know what tips I could give for people going next week, check out youtube nd concentrate more on practising the verbal than the abstract it was more difficult doubt they'll use the questions/piece etc as us nyway for next weeks batch

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

Hi all,

So the Questionnaire exercise includes the Questionnaire, Scenarios and Equality/Feedback Form and that's it?

I didn't get any notice at the end to say it was finished or submitted. Want to check if there is anything further I need to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Minevah wrote: »
    Hi all,

So the Questionnaire exercise includes the Questionnaire, Scenarios and Equality/Feedback Form and that's it?

I didn't get any notice at the end to say it was finished or submitted. Want to check if there is anything further I need to do!

Should just say thanks for submitting at end

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Did the assessment yesterday and the aptitude tests today. Got all the verbal reasoning questions answered confidently enough. The discover rules I feel ok about but there were 2 I didn't answer and I ran out of time with a question to go.

Thank the heavens I'm all done. Think I'll treat meself to my third cup of tea now.

Best of luck to those who have yet to do it. I'll say one thing - don't do too many of the aptitude tests found online - I did a few and they were of no benefit - especially the top two or three results on Google. Dashed my confidence more than anything but obviously, it's each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

lads iv a bit of a problem! i came home last night from the pub after a feed of pints and did the tests... i think iv f***ed it up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭billie1b

thekopend wrote: »
    lads iv a bit of a problem! i came home last night from the pub after a feed of pints and did the tests... i think iv f***ed it up!!!

Seriously?

billie1b wrote: »
    Seriously?

Ha I'm only rising. Just finished there. Was tough enough. The time was tight. Got about 16 of the abstract done and about 33 of the verbal, I was taking it handy trying to make sure they were right and not answering the ones I didn't know. Well time will tell. Would be nice to get as far as the next stage anyway. I recon there is a cut off for each test for the next stage as opposed to just picking a certain number from the top down?

Ha I'm only rising. Just finished there. Was tough enough. The time was tight. Got about 16 of the abstract done and about 33 of the verbal, I was taking it handy trying to make sure they were right and not answering the ones I didn't know. Well time will tell. Would be nice to get as far as the next stage anyway. I recon there is a cut off for each test for the next stage as opposed to just picking a certain number from the top down?

I was gonna say if you did that you'd probably ace it that way :-D
    Receiving mine tomorrow, getting anxious, just wanna get it done and over with

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    I was gonna say if you did that you'd probably ace it that way :-D
    Receiving mine tomorrow, getting anxious, just wanna get it done and over with

Ya I feel like a block was taken off my chest. The only problem now is the waiting and the doubting and the what ifs and if onlys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ya I feel like a block was taken off my chest. The only problem now is the waiting and the doubting and the what ifs and if onlys.

Ya, the doubting is a big thing for me. Only got 29 done, and based on the practice test, I'd be lucky to get 20 of them right. And with negative marking, it's a right pain.

Yeah I know, it'll be the poxiest part, i'm starting a strict training programme tomorrow and considering a self defense programme, something to do even if I dont make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I did the questionnaire yesterday and was happy enough with it, although some of the questions were quite ambiguous. The questionnaire did freeze on me twice, but I managed to get back into it once I'd recovered from the panic! Having as much time as you like was helpful.

I did the aptitude tests this morning. The verbal was quite tough, especially with the negative marking in the back of your mind. I got 30 out of 42 answered, but there were many I wasn't 100% sure on. I found the abstract test very easy, many of them were laughable. There were only four I wasn't sure on so I left them blank. Fairly confident on the other 16 being correct, just hoping it's enough to bring up my average as the verbal reasoning let me down.

I did the questionnaire yesterday and was happy enough with it, although some of the questions were quite ambiguous. The questionnaire did freeze on me twice, but I managed to get back into it once I'd recovered from the panic! Having as much time as you like was helpful.

I did the aptitude tests this morning. The verbal was quite tough, especially with the negative marking in the back of your mind. I got 30 out of 42 answered, but there were many I wasn't 100% sure on. I found the abstract test very easy, many of them were laughable. There were only four I wasn't sure on so I left them blank. Fairly confident on the other 16 being correct, just hoping it's enough to bring up my average as the verbal reasoning let me down.

Ya. I'm hoping that it'll be a cumulative pass rate as opposed to each individual exam having a different pass rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Is the layout of the verbal assessment the same as the practice ones. The tabs and the questions??

My English is excellent but I just found the layout very confusing to say the least and the tabes moving up and down also??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just done the Questionnaire. Found it quite similar to the civil service one that was up on PublicJobs back in September. Some of the scenario Qs were a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

All done and dusted now! All answered with seconds to spare! It was pretty similar to the PSNI IST which i have done (and passed) but slightly easier !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 1989lk

Anyone know how many scenarios are in the questionnaire

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

redout wrote: »
    Just done the Questionnaire. Found it quite similar to the civil service one that was up on PublicJobs back in September. Some of the scenario Qs were a bitch.

I JUST did them too. And ya wasn't easy with the layout but sure we did what we did. I always find the skills questions so ambiguous, as in in one situation I would do this but If it was this situation I would pick this. Anyway, what is done is done, no point worrying about it now. Now soon time for the other parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Finished the aptitude test.

I got through the discovery rules easily enough. The first half are simple, but they get more difficult and there was two that I answered based on a gut feeling, as opposed to knowing WHY it was the odd one out.

I thought the Verbal Reasoning was much easier than the practice run. The language was less convoluted and 12 minutes is more than enough time to get familiar with text. I finished with 4 minutes to spare, so I went over the answers and looked more closely at the text. Ended up changing two answers.

Sometimes it can be hard to draw the line between a 'true/false' and a 'cannot say'.

Is there any indication when the results come out? I know it's to stop cheating but it's really annoying that they don't give a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Wonder what the pass mark will be and will they tell us what the pass mark is at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AmiBear

Just in the middle of doing discover rules n it cuts out saying it's blocked anyone else experience this?

Wonder what the pass mark will be and will they tell us what the pass mark is at all.

I don't think there is a pass mark. I presume they'll just take the top few thousand applications and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I don't think there is a pass mark. I presume they'll just take the top few thousand applications and go from there.
    Nah there'll have to be a passmark for everything and they'll take everyone above that pass mark. Theyll probably have to decide that after the results tho

Nah there'll have to be a passmark for everything and they'll take everyone above that pass mark. Theyll probably have to decide that after the results tho

Sure if the passmark is decided after the exam, then they'll look at the results and choose a mark which gives them a couple of thousand candidates, so it's much of a muchness.

I'd say they know how many people they're going to take from the aptitude tests and budgeted accordingly for subsequent medicals and physicals.

If a passmark was set, and was achieved by more people than expected, the recruitment process would be more drawn out, with greater resources needed to process these candidates.

Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

What is the link for the aptitude test? I cant get into it.

Sure if the passmark is decided after the exam, then they'll look at the results and choose a mark which gives them a couple of thousand candidates, so it's much of a muchness.

I'd say they know how many people they're going to take from the aptitude tests and budgeted accordingly for subsequent medicals and physicals.

If a passmark was set, and was achieved by more people than expected, the recruitment process would be more drawn out, with greater resources needed to process these candidates.

Just my opinion though.

You're right I reckon.

How many do ye think will be invited to the next stage?

I reckon it'll probably be around 12,000. This 12,000 will then be cut to 6,000 at stage 2. This 6,000 will probably then be cut to about 3,000 at stage 3 for the panel.

This is only guesswork based purely on the panel size for the 1989 recruitment drive.

What is the link for the aptitude test? I cant get into it.

You get sent an email by publicjobs that includes the the link and the timeslot you can access it.
    Rothmans wrote: »
    You're right I reckon.

How many do ye think will be invited to the next stage?

I reckon it'll probably be around 12,000. This 12,000 will then be cut to 6,000 at stage 2. This 6,000 will probably then be cut to about 3,000 at stage 3 for the panel.

This is only guesswork based purely on the panel size for the 1989 recruitment drive.

How does the panel work? Stage 4 is the interview, so I presume if you get called back after that you'll soon be on your way to Templemore. Is the panel for people who don't get to Stage 4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Just finished all mine. Questionnaire was grand though some of the questions would have you thinking hard, as someone above said, they can be quite ambiguous!

Got all except one answered in the abstract, even had a few seconds to go back to it but I couldn't figure it out so thought better to leave it blank. Got all the verbal done with about 50 secs to spare so I went back to one or two that I had doubts about

Overall I'm very happy with how it went, will just have to wait and see now. All the best to everyone yet to do it

Advertisement