Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Anyone else here afraid that the verbal reasoning will be just pot luck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Rothmans wrote: »
    Anyone else here afraid that the verbal reasoning will be just pot luck?

Did it twice and only got 4/6, 1 wrong and 1 not complete :( it's alot of info to get through. I wish there were a few different ones as doing it over and over again isn't much use when there is only a small pool of questions

Did it twice and only got 4/6, 1 wrong and 1 not complete :( it's alot of info to get through. I wish there were a few different ones as doing it over and over again isn't much use when there is only a small pool of questions

Yup, same here. I've read through them time and time again. When I do get 6/6 on the rare occasion, I have a look over the text and I find the answers they've give as correct are a bit iffy. I wish they'd give out the solutions.
    Hopefully the actual test will be a tad easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Hope I never have to read the word connectixx again

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Got only 2/6 on verbal reasoning test. I thought i was good at verbal reasoning, obviously not :(. I was good on the old style verbal reasoning they used do ...but not these ones.

Does anyone know any online course where they do the exact type of verbal reasoning questions as in the PAS example (IE Where you have to select the appriopriate tab first before assessing if the statement is true, false or cannot say)?

Please PM me if you do. Much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

With negative marking included, i got -2 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    With negative marking included, i got -2 :eek:

How do you know how they are scoring the negative marking?

want2b wrote: »
    How do you know how they are scoring the negative marking?
    I don't. But if it was one for one, i would have got -2. If it was .5 for 1, i would have got 0. Either isn't good.

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I don't. But if it was one for one, i would have got -2. If it was .5 for 1, i would have got 0. Either isn't good.

Its very hard.

Emailed cut-e today asking if the negative marking is one for one and if you get marked down for blanks.

Was told we cannot release that information.

What an absolute shambles of an aptitude test. I've never gone into an exam in my life where the examiners didn't have at least a minimal level of transparency re how we will be marked. They don't even explain the reasons for answers in the sample test. Most probably because they aren't fully confident in their own test.

An absolutely ridiculous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Emailed cut-e today asking if the negative marking is one for one and if you get marked down for blanks.

Was told we cannot release that information.

What an absolute shambles of an aptitude test. I've never gone into an exam in my life where the examiners didn't have at least a minimal level of transparency re how we will be marked. They don't even explain the reasons for answers in the sample test. Most probably because they aren't fully confident in their own test.

An absolutely ridiculous situation.

That is a joke! I wonder if its because PAS will wait to see what standard of results comes back before taking that information into account or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Zadie10 wrote: »
    That is a joke! I wonder if its because PAS will wait to see what standard of results comes back before taking that information into account or not.

maybe email PAS

it could be up to them to release such info

Scouser wrote: »
    maybe email PAS

it could be up to them to release such info

Perhaps that might work. But, I'd have assumed that they would have released that info in the booklet no?

Anyone up for giving pas a call tomorrow?

Perhaps that might work. But, I'd have assumed that they would have released that info in the booklet no?

Anyone up for giving pas a call tomorrow?

If you skip a question and leave it unanswered is it counted as incorrect??!

Devil08 wrote: »
    If you skip a question and leave it unanswered is it counted as incorrect??!

They cannot release that info apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

So if its negative points system, my 4 out of 6 isnt too bad on the practise test? I've been pulling my hair out doing and practising it cause to me its not good enough

billie1b wrote: »
    So if its negative points system, my 4 out of 6 isnt too bad on the practise test? I've been pulling my hair out doing and practising it cause to me its not good enough

4 out of 6 = 2 out of 6!!

Perhaps. They won't tell us. That's the problem.

Unfortunately nobody knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Negative, 4 out of 6 with 6 questions answered is 4 out of 6, theres people here getting minus scores.

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Negative, 4 out of 6 with 6 questions answered is 4 out of 6, theres people here getting minus scores.

The practice test doesn't negative mark! It tells u how many u got right and how many u got wrong. The minus marks are people adding it up themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

If you don't answer the question it is not negative marking!!. Negative marking is only for questions answered wrong. If you don't answer nothing lost nothing gained

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gave a go of the sample questions for abstract reasoning. First time doing such a test. Not easy, some of them were just weird!

Taken from page 5 of the stage 1 familiarisation material booklet

' Be aware that there is negative marking for incorrect answers on both these aptitude tests.'

If it was negative marking for unanswered questions it would say negative marking for incorrect and unanswered.

It would be literally impossible for anyone to get marks if this was the case.
    12 mins for 42 questions. The best I would be hoping for would be to get 25 answered correctly. Don't think many will get them all answered in that time frame, well not all correctly I would say. Better off doing it slow and steady and getting 90% of the ones you do correct.

Sully wrote: »
    Gave a go of the sample questions for abstract reasoning. First time doing such a test. Not easy, some of them were just weird!

They look like double Dutch if you don't know what to look for, but after doing a course and knowing how the spot the rule so to speak they seem simple. If you can do some prep on it you will be flying it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

thekopend wrote: »
    They look like double Dutch if you don't know what to look for, but after doing a course and knowing how the spot the rule so to speak they seem simple. If you can do some prep on it you will be flying it.

I assume there is something online for it. I'm in a full time job so difficult to find the time to prepare, but arah, one can only do his/her best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ViP3r

I've done that verbal reasoning again and again. Doesn't make sense:
    <mod snip>
    Somehow I only get 2 correct? Wtf??

Ugh this is bs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

thekopend wrote: »
    If you don't answer the question it is not negative marking!!. Negative marking is only for questions answered wrong. If you don't answer nothing lost nothing gained

Yep that is how it usually works. Negative marking is designed to stop people guessing, not to encourage it. I would be surprised if there was negative marking for non-answered questions, as that would essentially just be forcing people to guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Yep that is how it usually works. Negative marking is designed to stop people guessing, not to encourage it. I would be surprised if there was negative marking for non-answered questions, as that would essentially just be forcing people to guess.

but it hammers the people who are genuinely answering on the belief they have answered correctly

if anything, it stops thought and en-devour - surely the corner stones of good aptitude! very irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Anyone any thoughts on the assessment questionnaire and what may be involved?

If I recall correctly. It's basically they give you questions lets say 10 questions and give you 10 points and you give points to what you feel is important to you. The questions have a 1-10 scale so you have to dish the points out sparingly.

Advertisement