Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funerals

Options
  • 29-04-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

The last time I attended a funeral I was actually disturbed by some of the things the priest said in his sermon. Apparently though, everything he said was quite standard in funeral services and that would be what you'd hear at any funeral.

Got me thinking that in this country it would be hard to avoid religious customs in these circumstances. If you want to be buried, graveyards are normally part of a church. So you'd have to have the standard funeral. Even with cremation, there's normally a priest performing a religious service (as far as I know).

I don't care what they do with me when I go, in fact I hope they don''t waste money on an expensive tombstone and coffin, but I really don't want to have some priest talking about how god has called me back to heaven.

What are people's feelings on this? How much would you let the feelings of your family influence this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

FYI couple of other threads here and here.

Also, I don't actually think most cemeteries are part of a church anymore. At least not in Dublin anyway.

If I live long enough so my passing won't be a complete shock, I'd specify a non-religious service. Otherwise whatever my family want. In reality though, they can just throw me in a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What are people's feelings on this? How much would you let the feelings of your family influence this?
    I'm not sure what the tie is between churches and graveyards, if any. I imagine that once you buy a plot, you can bury whomever you want in it.

I've never had to deal with a death, but I imagine that most families are content to go with the wishes of the deceased, whatever they are. In cases where someone dies young or suddenly, I can see issues arising out of deeply religious parents.

In fact a mate of mine is of the type that he'd probably prefer that we drive him around in a sports car á la Weekend at Bernies, with a big banner saying, "Jesus is a c*nt and now I'm gonna go and kick him square in the nuts", then go to the pub and get absolutely f*cked. His mother would try have a religious ceremony and I would be obliged by my dead mate to disturb it and call her a complete bitch in front of the congregation and steal his body, purely because that's what my dead mate would want.

seamus wrote: »
    I would be obliged by my dead mate to disturb it and call her a complete bitch in front of the congregation and steal his body, purely because that's what my dead mate would want.
    Now that's one way of livening up a ceremony. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I plan on being stuffed and mounted in the living room. It will be a stipulation of receving any inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

seamus wrote: »
    drive him around in a sports car á la Weekend at Bernies, with a big banner saying, "Jesus is a c*nt and now I'm gonna go and kick him square in the nuts", then go to the pub and get absolutely f*cked.

Now I know what kind of ceremony I want ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

And placed in the lobby of a hotel to frighten children.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I wouldnt mind a religious ceremony if it made my relatives feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Xhristy I've already told my closest family & friends what to do with me if something should happen.

1) Donate any organs they can
    2) Give my body to science
    3) Have a small party celebrating my life, with absolutley no religious component whatsoever.

1. If I am in use my organs hooked up to a machine territory I want to be used to test drugs on. Organ donation could save say ten lives but using my still breathing corpse to test a new aids drug or somesuch could save a lot more.

2.Spend the 5K a dublin plot costs to buy a bit of bog to put me in. This is the old libertarian thing that keeping the environment private will make sure it is looked after. If before putting me in the bog someone wants to wrap me in tinfoil and surround me with statues of Jimmy Saville just to confuse future generations of archeologists I do not mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I have a date with Zillah, if the wind is blowing in the right direction:D

• Advertisement

big-lebowski-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sangre wrote: »
    I plan on being stuffed and mounted in the living room. It will be a stipulation of receving any inheritance.

Thats a great idea. I might do that too, only pose me simultaneously fighting a lion and a bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

How much would you let the feelings of your family influence this?

They can do whatever they want. I'd view my funeral as an outlet for their grief, I really wouldn't care what was done so long as they drew some comfort from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I like the whole notion of playing some of your fav pieces of music at the end of the church service as they do here in the uk .Never seen that at any catholic or protastant funeral in ireland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aguaclara

i'd be inclined to agree with xhristy - med students need all the cadavers they can get. and as for family wishes - screw them, it's my funeral. though i'm pretty sure that if i died tomorrow my send-off would end up being your typical irish catholic affair (despite my repeated stipulations that it be anything but) due to myriad social and familial pressures. where i'm from (the sticks) there's still a roaring trade in pre-signed mass cards, the 21st century equivalent of indulgences. strange, strange world :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Having buried my Mum last year, I was more upset at the way the Glasnevin Cemetery Crematorium operated like a conveyor belt with our entire party being pushed from the local church by the undertakers so that we didn't miss our 'slot'.

As I walked out of the Crematorium after the short service, I lit a cigarette, chatted with family and friends, and over their shoulders noticed four hearses lined up in what I could best describe as a holding-pattern.

When you deal with the daily horror of caring for a terminally ill parent for a year and have been working out the logistics of the HSE, home-care, home-nursing, hospice and eventual funeral arrangements, what ever gobbledy-gook the local priest wants to incant at the eventual service is basically irrelevant.

I think you have to sign yourself up now if you want to donate your body for medical research.
    And you can't just bury yourself in bog, it has to be in a cemetry afaik.
    A few years back some family wanted to bury their daughter in the back garden and they weren't let.

I want a seriously pimped graveside.
    I don't care about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

This is something which I've often thought about. I mean, I'd assume that a huge proportion of Irish people are irreligious or agnostic, yet I'm not sure whats offered to them in the form of some non-religious ceremony :S ?

Moonbaby

And you can't just bury yourself in bog, it has to be in a cemetry afaik.

I don't want to bury myself. I want to be incapable of doing anything at the point i am being buried. Yes you do have to be buried in a cemetery but I know of no reason you cannot buy a bog and then have that zoned as a cemetery. Then give everyone gps coordinates

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moonbaby wrote: »
    A few years back some family wanted to bury their daughter in the back garden and they weren't let.
    I imagine it's for the same reason that you can't bury animals in your garden - you never know what kind of odd diseases might make their way into the local water by chance. All it would take is one C.diff. patient to be buried beside a river, and a whole town is boned.

• Advertisement

300px-Grauballemanden_stor.jpg
    seamus

I imagine it's for the same reason that you can't bury animals in your garden - you never know what kind of odd diseases might make their way into the local water by chance. All it would take is one C.diff. patient to be buried beside a river, and a whole town is boned.

You are right there must be all sorts of hygiene rules about dealing with bodies. So bog body cemeteries may not be a runner after all.

^^ Wow - they buried that guy in his BDSM gear! ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

Why should I care what type of funeral I get? I'll be dead. It's like asking what you want for your 10th birthday when youre already 22.

I've often wondered about this - about the delicate nature of dealing with the dead, respecting the dead, dressing them up in nice clothes, like dolls; reciting prayers and poems and songs to them. It's all very bizarre, they're as dead as banana skins.

We seem to have some sort of morbid pre-occupation with the dead. Take the family that died in the house fire-suicide in the past few week. Pictures of their lives still haunt newspapers and television screens.
    As a public, we don't so much talk about what this means in terms of mental health and what we can learn, we mostly just publicly mourn them and feel bad for them, because they are dead. That's foolish, it means nothing to them because they don't exist anymore.

We in our pre-occupation and sensitivities about the dead, must realise we are acting this way for the sake of people that do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Tigrrrr wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this - about the delicate nature of dealing with the dead, respecting the dead, dressing them up in nice clothes, like dolls; reciting prayers and poems and songs to them. It's all very bizarre, they're as dead as banana skins.

As Pratchett put it;
    A more reverential form of garbage disposal

*He was hear last week. I swear on the bible *ahem*

We in our pre-occupation and sensitivities about the dead, must realise we are acting this way for the sake of people that do not exist.

I disagree. I don't "respect the dead" for the dead person's sake, I do it for the sake of their living relatives out of respect for them and their loss. I'd have similar respect for whatever ceremony they wanted to have (within reason).

nesf wrote: »
    I disagree. I don't "respect the dead" for the dead person's sake, I do it for the sake of their living relatives out of respect for them and their loss. I'd have similar respect for whatever ceremony they wanted to have (within reason).

Yes that's perfectly acceptable I suppose. What i really mean is respecting the dead, like for example when kids are admonished for walking on churchyard graves. Even now as an adult, I'd feel bad about doing that, for no logical reason whatsoever!

Obviously, at a memorial or funeral it would be wrong to badmouth the dead for the family's sakes, or be overly liberal with honesty, I think that's quite different and is just a common sense way of being sensitive with people who feel a sense of loss. But as for the dead, **** them, they're dead!

Yes that's perfectly acceptable I suppose. What i really mean is respecting the dead, like for example when kids are admonished for walking on churchyard graves. Even now as an adult, I'd feel bad about doing that, for no logical reason whatsoever!

Sure, but the whole walking on graves thing is a social idea. Think of it this way, you (not necessarily you, but others in general) may not like the idea of people not respecting the grave of your late mother/father/brother/child/whatever. The logic of admonishing kids of not respecting graves comes from a broader social idea of what constitutes respect for the dead (which is really respect for those that loved them and miss them if you prefer to think of it that way) and while it might not seem logical to you personally, if you think of it in a broader social context it does make a lot more sense.

nesf wrote: »
    The logic of admonishing kids of not respecting graves comes from a broader social idea of what constitutes respect for the dead (which is really respect for those that loved them and miss them if you prefer to think of it that way) and while it might not seem logical to you personally, if you think of it in a broader social context it does make a lot more sense.

But the broader social context is already entwined with respect for the dead, not just their survivors. Respect for the dead is set out in the Bible, it's an aspect particularly of the Christian and Jewish faiths. I don't think I buy into the idea that we don't walk on graves just because of respect for survivors. Every November parishes all around the country, indeed around the globe, gather to bless and make holy grave yards which hold what is seen by many (myself included) as simply human junk.

It's odd, I think I can have a good understanding of religious faith, and respect those who have such faith. I just don't get attachment to dead bodies.

But the broader social context is already entwined with respect for the dead, not just their survivors.

True, I don't think you can disentangle them, however; my point would be that even if to you it's just a dead body and not worthy of respect in and of itself, there is a good argument to be made for respecting the dead (in some fashion) out of respect for other people's wishes be they rooted in religious belief or whatever.

The key here I think is being reasonable about it. Graveyards are a good example, they are set aside pieces of land where people who want to may come to remember their dead. Now some people, including some religious people don't use them outside of funerals and there is no pressure on them to do so. The line that's usually drawn is that one should show a modicum of respect to graveyards when you are in one but beyond that, no adult is forced to attend them or anything silly like that. It's a good example (in my opinion) of the place of religion in a mostly secular society. Whether you believe or not isn't really what matters, it's that we as a society can respect each other's beliefs within reasonable bounds.

Now if someone wanted to force a Christian burial on everyone who dies, then we'd have a bit of a problem on our hands.

• Advertisement

Well that's quite true. Respecting some people's respect for the dead is no less valid than respecting their right to their faith, and there's no reason to show disrespect in either case.

It's just more of a personal thing, personally I don't understand why people respect the dead but I respect that they do.

Tomayto/ Tomahto

Advertisement