Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what will your funeral be?

Options
  • 20-12-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

hi,

Im just curious , what type of ceremony will atheists request or expect when they pass away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

At the moment, what ever my parents decide on. I'm not gonna complain.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well, I'll be dead so I won't care. If my friends and family want to remember me they can do so as they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Once the doctors have extracted the bits they can use, I'd like to be planted vertically, in a cardboard box with no chemicals in me. Then someone can plant a pear tree on my head, wait a few years, and enjoy the fruits of my... whatever. :o

Maybe I've been watching too much Six Feet Under - I'm in the middle of the last season on DVD - but I want as little to do with the "funeral business" as possible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

stereoroid wrote: »
    Once the doctors have extracted the bits they can use, ...Then someone can plant a pear tree on my head

Nothing of use in there then?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

If I was to die in the morning I would be happy enough to have a proper Catholic burial, not for my own sake but because I reckon it would make it a bit easier on my parents and family, but if I make it to a ripe old age I would probably prefer it without the religious elements. At the end of the day though I won't particularly care one way or the other cos I won't be knowing what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    At the moment, what ever my parents decide on. I'm not gonna complain.
    you don't plan on out living your parents?

I'm going to have a blood orgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm giving my body to medical science ("Ah, so that was what was wrong with him") .. and after that my surviving family and friends (I do plan to out live my parents), can do what ever the heck they want. A blood orgy sounds fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Wicknight wrote: »
    I'm giving my body to medical science ("Ah, so that was what was wrong with him") .. and after that my surviving family and friends (I do plan to out live my parents), can do what ever the heck they want. A blood orgy sounds fun.

Would your family bury you in a religious ceremony though?

If I died tomorrow I would be given a catholic funeral. On the one hand you could say it doesn't matter, I'm gone anyway and none the wiser. But I'm still not thrilled at the idea of the priests standing there talking about Aidan the good catholic and how my soul is off to heaven with the angels and all of this nonsense.

It doesn't matter per se, but it's not something I'd be overly happy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

http://jewelry.about.com/cs/syntheticdiamonds/a/lifegem_diamond.htm
    Maybe get turned into a diamond!

Or get cremated and have the ashes scattered at sea.
    Have a golden coin created (not so sure about this) with my face on one side and a spider on the other.
    Mainly because I hate sand and spiders. So I'll reconcile my hatred in death :)

Blood orgy sounds like a good idea too :p

I don't really know what I'd like to have happen when I'm dead. I'll see when I get there...

All the best.
    AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sangre wrote: »
    you don't plan on out living your parents?
    That's why I said at the moment ;)

In the future I'd have to discuss it with what ever partner or family I have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Would your family bury you in a religious ceremony though?

Not sure. Don't really care.

I (luckly) don't come from a family that pretends that I'm a good little Catholic boy, so I don't think there will be any pretending that I was a something I wasn't, but if it makes them feel better to have a religious ceremony thats up to them.

I see a funeral more for the people left behind than for the person who died (at least in my case)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I'm going to be stuffed with a frown on my face and be placed in the dining room so that I can look down dissapprovingly at my children.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'll tell you what it won't be, and thats my problem! All I want is good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I'd like to be buried at sea! Just dumped off a boat, maybe a few words said about my life.

I don't want to be put in a coffin/casket, but I think there are laws. Why can't I just be dumped in the ocean or in a hole in the ground so my body can decompose naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I plan to convert to most of the major religions just before my demise. So I will need to have a few funeral services.

Does anyone know where I can get vultures to eat my corpse for that Indian religion. It might pay to hedge your bets on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

My Grandfather died recently, he was an Atheist (or maybe Agnostic, it was hard to tell). We had a simple non-religious service in Glasneven before he was cremated and shipped back to his native Norway. We did have a priest say a few word but he was a friend of the family and it was for my Gran who is religious (In that polite English protestant way).

It was lovely actually, his children told a few stories about his life (The one about his time as a member of the XU resistance group during the war was particularly cool :) ), there was music he loved and just general remembering.

That’s the way I want to go, minus the stories of escaping the Gestapo on skis across the Norwegian wilderness of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

hi,

Im just curious , what type of ceremony will atheists request or expect when they pass away?

Ha! ! ! Speak for youselves HUMANS! I plan to life FOREVER!!

Kang....., Release the Safety on the Death Ray MUhahhahah:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ riiiight ^^

Further discussion on this thread (FYI). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As long as thay play a few dacent songs at the service.I would like the piano section at the end of layla to be put on a loop (just for the few extra minutes) :).

I attended a firemans funeral a few years ago and upon his death , requested that the Byrds ' turn turn turn ' be played and twas very touching .

Words-adapted from the bible, book of ecclesiastes
    Music-pete seeger

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
    There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
    And a time for every purpose, under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
    A time to plant, a time to reap
    A time to kill, a time to heal
    A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up,a time to break down
    A time to dance, a time to mourn
    A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

A time of love, a time of hate
    A time of war, a time of peace
    A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose
    A time to rend, a time to sew
    A time to love, a time to hate
    A time for peace, I swear its not too late

Jezz..just thought , imagine if nobody turned up at yer funeral ? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

5uspect wrote: »
    Nothing of use in there then?:p
    Oh, that will be after I've donated my brain to science... science fiction, I mean. :cool:

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Not sure. Don't really care.

I (luckly) don't come from a family that pretends that I'm a good little Catholic boy, so I don't think there will be any pretending that I was a something I wasn't, but if it makes them feel better to have a religious ceremony thats up to them.

I see a funeral more for the people left behind than for the person who died (at least in my case)

My family also know my views, and don't pretend that I'm a good little catholic boy either. Themselves, well my parents wouldn't be overly religious. My mother goes to mass but isn't exactly a holy mary type and I know she wouldn't necessarily believe in all of it. My dad doesn't go to mass and appears to be a bit indifferent towards religion really.

Yet they would bury me in a catholic ceremony out of habit and tradition I think as much as anything else. Like that's what you're supposed to do, without really giving it much thought. This I just find a little puzzling, this attitude of being sorta vaguely religious or calling yourself catholic and following the traditions of it without really going along with what it actually means in the stricter sense. I think there's alot of that around, and it's something the pope (muppet that he is, though he's right in this case) has been giving out about.

While I agree with you in a sense that the funeral is more for those left behind, it should take into account the views/beliefs/wishes of the person who's gone also. Should I live to be a ripe old age, hopefully by then there will be more options for secular-type funerals, and it will be more commonplace than it is now. I expect that it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Has that lad Mordeth posted here yet? Can't wait to read his little reply to this where he goes so out of his way to make up some wity comment that outlines his non-belief in the afterlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Wouldn't really want a funeral, but i suppose i'm dead so i can't really control it. However people decide to deal with it is fine my me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Has that lad Mordeth posted here yet? Can't wait to read his little reply to this where he goes so out of his way to make up some wity comment that outlines his non-belief in the afterlife.
    Maybe he'll post one just for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Why ? cos your belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master , so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree makes so much more sense ?

*stolen quote , but suits so well

He'll hardly come up with anything quite as witty and/or insightful as your excellent contribution.

bushy... wrote: »
    Why ? cos your belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master , so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree makes so much more sense ?

*stolen quote , but suits so well

Your attempt to be funny, and at the same time condescending reminds me of the time Chevy Chase met Joseph Stalin....

*flashback*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Funny ? Its all true ...
    Jewish ? check
    zombie ? check
    talking snake ? check
    magical tree ? yip
    his own father ? yip
    live forever if etc etc ? yip thats there too

Which bit isn't true ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

esteban.. I want to be crucified, and after 3 days a team of engineers could put a robot suit under my skin and make me walk around like a gentille zombie. 2000 years from now, it'll be your god Vs me. and I'm going to win.

• Advertisement

Lol.....fair play.

Advertisement