Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

OldGoat wrote: »
    I was lucky in the draw. I received email notification today.

I should be overjoyed but instead I feel a bit ill at ease at the thoughts of everyone who pushed for this project to happen that haven't managed to get a slice of the pie.

However, for those of us that have succeeded I foresee some back breaking digging ahead. :D

Congrats OldGoat. Just saw your good news. Can I buy some new spuds off you in 2011 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

I was lucky in the draw. I received email notification today.

I should be overjoyed but instead I feel a bit ill at ease at the thoughts of everyone who pushed for this project to happen that haven't managed to get a slice of the pie.

However, for those of us that have succeeded I foresee some back breaking digging ahead. :D

Congrats on the allotment John. Just heard from Fuinnseog and she got one too, nothing for me sadly :( - Back to the drawing board by the looks of it. If ye need a hand with anything, digging etc, just let me know, I accept payment in spuds, carrots, tomatoes etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've offered to share mine with a friend who also didn't get offered one. Hopefully the demand will spur the council on to get more up and running quickly. We'll keep the pressure on them.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agibbons

Sundew wrote: »
    According to yesterday's RTE news the draw for 90 allotments in St Anne's Pk will take place this week. :)

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1075282

Hi, I was lucky enough to get one and have received notification from Dublin City Council. There was a draw last monday(21st June) in Dublin City Council on Bunratty Road, Coolock. There were 90 plots and 559 applications. Its an 11 month pilot program. There is also a storage and lockup facility being provided. I guess there may be more available next year if its a success.

Tony.

I finally broke ground on a new allotment. (Saint Anns Park - Dublin City Council).
    There is so much clay I could cast my own flower pots. It's going to take a huge amount of compost and perhaps a few tons of sand to give me a good soil. I'm double digging it and it's very heavy going. As I'm situated at the bottom of a small slope drainage is a problem. I'm getting the run off from plots up the slope. I'm going to have to put in a few drainage trenches.
    Happy as a pig in the proverbial at the moment. Give me a few weeks for my rose-tinted glasses to clear and I'll be moaning/groaning about a lot more.

• Advertisement

I finally broke ground on a new allotment. (Saint Anns Park - Dublin City Council).
    There is so much clay I could cast my own flower pots. It's going to take a huge amount of compost and perhaps a few tons of sand to give me a good soil. I'm double digging it and it's very heavy going. As I'm situated at the bottom of a small slope drainage is a problem. I'm getting the run off from plots up the slope. I'm going to have to put in a few drainage trenches.
    Happy as a pig in the proverbial at the moment. Give me a few weeks for my rose-tinted glasses to clear and I'll be moaning/groaning about a lot more.

I'm so jealous :P

I'm so jealous :P
    Feel free to come over and dig it for me if that helps. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

why not hire one of these
    6.jpg

Actually, there are a couple of reasons. A rotovator is great for chruning up soft soil, mixing in a top dressing and so on. But the ground really needs to be loosened up first for it to work so it's kind of redundant.
    Secondly the rotorvator will only cut into 6-8 inches and I need to dig to about 18-20 to improve drainage.

But thanks anyway Thaed. Care to join Sundew in my chaingang of wimminz working the land? I'll supply fresh water. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

got a share of an allotment in Clogher road.

went to visit Bridgefoot street community garden.

I like the chickens...gave them a bit of cut grass from my own garden for them to peck at after seeing one of them strain her neck out the chicken wire to try and reach a bit of the green stuff around the coop....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ofingers

Fuinnseog wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone interested in garden share projects on the north side?

Hi Fuinnseog,
    If its not too late in the day, I'd be very interested! I'm in Fairview.
    Hows it work exactly?
    Ofingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Hey all,

Im hoping to establish a private allotment site in Dublin for spring 2011. Do you think there is much demand for such a scheme? We are in the process of sourcing land at the moment so the location is unsure. However we are first looking on the southside inside the boundaries of the M50 . If unsuccessful we will scout for sites on the north side.

Also what would people expect to pay for example a 50sqm and 100sqm plot? I'd like you to take into account that this is a private scheme and as such could not compete with council prices. It is also going to be inside the M50 as we want to be convienent for the gardner and ensure they don't have to drive more than 15 minutes to get to the site. Finally bear in mind that land inside the M50 is infinitely more expensive than land outside it simply because much of it is zoned for industrial use or is considered development land.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated. We hope to open in Feb/March 2011 providing we get the land sourced by the end of October and have completed the planning process by January.

Got a call to say an allotment has finally come up after 3 years on the waiting list :eek:
    I had completely forgot all about it and was shocked to get the news.
    I'm going to see it tommorow.
    Anybody else get one recently?

A plot next to mine was allocated to a family a couple of weeks ago. It had not been taken up after the first round of offers. - Thats in the Saint Annes Allotments, DCC run.
    Wheres your plot Sundew?

A plot next to mine was allocated to a family a couple of weeks ago. It had not been taken up after the first round of offers. - Thats in the Saint Annes Allotments, DCC run.
    Wheres your plot Sundew?
    It's up in Bohernabreena (Friarstown). I've been up there before and it's a pretty windy site...I should say it was the father-in-law who put his name down on our behalf ;) he wasn't interested at the time in growing veg but now wants to get involved too!

More people to dig the ground for you. Hand him a spade. :)

More people to dig the ground for you. Hand him a spade. :)
    You bet your bottom dollar I will :D042.gif

John, Are there many allotments in St Anne's that have not been taken up after the first round of offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Same question as Lao Lao,

Suprised to see a page back someone mentioned there were still some availible?
    We applied when the were announced afaik

If not does anyone else know of any others in north dublin?

As you'll see from some previous posts I was going to set up a private allotment site in North Co. Dublin. However due to a lack of interest (on here and other places) I didn't go ahead.

However I did note a farmer in Coldwinters (just outside the M50, first turnoff from the N2 after M50 junction near Finglas) had a sign up 'allotments for rent'. I'm not sure if he ever got it off the ground as that was last summer but you might take a drive down there and ask in the garden center in Coldwinters- I'd imagine they'd know who he is and where to contact him.

• Advertisement

blaze1 wrote: »
    Same question as Lao Lao,
    I'd given LaoLao a reply in PM. There appear to be some plots there unworked but the contracts are for a year so they are probably still allocated to someone. I'll ask the committee if they know if any plots are likely to become available. They will go to people on the waiting list and I know that the list is large with some people like LaoLao who have be waiting for years for the Council to provide plots.
    If and when I get feedback from the allotment committee I'll re-post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I'd given LaoLao a reply in PM. There appear to be some plots there unworked but the contracts are for a year so they are probably still allocated to someone. I'll ask the committee if they know if any plots are likely to become available. They will go to people on the waiting list and I know that the list is large with some people like LaoLao who have be waiting for years for the Council to provide plots.

Thanks goat, any feedback appriciated, We would really love to get our hands on an allotment pleaseeeeee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do you guys have surplus food you would be willing to sell?

Lao Lao how long have you been on the waiting list?

Didn't get a PM from you but I did talk to Noel McEvoy from DCC during the week and he advised me that all the allotments in Saint Anne's were full allocated and all offers were taken up.

He mentioned that they were looking to add more allotment spaces in other areas on the North side of Dublin and that they had a few locations under consideration, however it would not be as simple as St Anne's as the locations they were thinking of were green belt areas at present and there would have to be buy in from local residents to change this to allotments and from a visual point of view, there could be some strong opposition.

It's a work in progress for them but I can't see anything happening on it this side of Christmas and it could even be well into 2012 before we see anything as funding will most likely be an issue also.
    Lao Lao how long have you been on the waiting list?

Good question! I've been chasing DCC about allotments for about 5 years now but anytime I contacted them, there never was 'A List' and there was never any talk of allotments.

Borne out of frustration, I started this thread back in 2008 and along with a few people on here, OldGoat, Fuinnseog (to name just a few) we formed the DAA (Dublin Allotments Association) to try pressure DCC into providing allotments. it was only at this time after a lot of contact with DCC that 'A List' appeared as demand and interest really grew, so I'm on the list about 3 years now. I don't want to go into too much detail online but I'm not happy about the offical time that I'm on the waiting list.

I've been told that the current list is approx 400+ people and I am number 75 so I need a lot of people to either give up or pop their clogs :eek: before I get one!

Lao - my apologies. I must have miss-clicked or done something equally noobish when I tried to PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

It might be a bit far for most people but Beechpark in Clonsilla have plots for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nevyn wrote: »
    why not hire one of these
    6.jpg

You could simply marry one. More long term, but slightly cheaper.

It might be a bit far for most people but Beechpark in Clonsilla have plots for sale.

For sale? How much are they going for ? And who will own the freehold?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Seems to be a good few being prepared on Tolka Valley road,where the new apartments are.

Advertisement