Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Hi Fuinnseog though I have been following this thread and out and about scouting for potential sites I have not really done anything. I want to thank you for all you have done so far.
    But i did find a guy was working on a plan (very fancy ones too, including polytunnnels & GHs!) to set up 145 allotments in the currently derelict walled garden in St. Annes but had lost funding for it. He was delighted to hear about our group and was revisiting ideas to get alternative funding. So he advised we send our formal expression of interest to the head of parks.

Well at least this does sound positive. Could these be the allotments that Diarmuid Gavin is involved in ?

There is roughly over an acre of ground just inside the War Memorial Gardens gate. It is a seperate "field" if you like. Natural boundries,beside car park etc. I think that you would fit 25/30 allotments here and it's not taking from the park in any way. Will post a photo for you to see.

By the way do I qualify to join the NDAA ??? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fuinnseog

Sundew, you have a finger in every pie, north and south, fair play to you! :D
    A pic would be really great, i'm trying to picture it...

I wonder if this is the coast developement mentioned? You know, i was half thinking if we might be ballsy (or desperate) enough to try and hit up ole Diarmuid for publicity for NDAA or pro-bono work for St. Annes etc. I was told by the council that if these allotments get the go ahead, design will be a major element as they cannot be seen to fail or no further allotments will be forthcoming. Quite a lot of pressure really...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Does anyone know roughly what size an allotment is? I keep finding references to archaic imperial measurments but I can't rember the differences a rod or an acre are from a perch or a chain. :confused:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Shall I post it on the thread or do you want me to send it as a jpeg. I'll try and get the pic up as soon as I can. Are you familiar with the War memorial gardens. there are playing fields on the way into the park then the car park on the right and the "field" on the left.

Okay so it's small but would certainly add to the pool if DCCC or the parks department would consider it!

Oldgoat, how long is a piece of string? I don't think there is a fixed size for allotments. I guess that's up to the council.

Sundew, either is fine for me. I can't place it, which entrance is it nearest?

• Advertisement

Fuinnseog wrote: »
    <Snip> this should be one of the first things on the agenda for NDAA! </Snip>
    Perhaps we should try a face to face meeting of the NDAA so that we can pool information and offer more support to eachother. Pints anyone?
    Fuinnseog, could you PM me with the contacts you have for the Council. I work for the council and I might be able to schmooze some support.

That's excellent Oldgoat, i'll pm them now.

Sundew, either is fine for me. I can't place it, which entrance is it nearest?

It's the entrance just off South Circular Rd opposite Clancy Barracks. I'll be off to work shortly so not sure if i can get it posted today but will certainly put it up tomorrow at the latest. By the way if you are in a newsagents just check out page 78/79 of "Grow your Own" and the piece about allotments by Diarmuid gavin!

Ah i see, i thought you meant it was in St. Annes, doh! A bit too far from myself but perhaps other people might be interested. I think we have to keep our options open certainly.

Will check out that magazine.icon14.gif I know he is involved in some allotments project in Donegal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Hi all - Just a quick update - I've got an e-mail back from the chairman of the SDAA. He has said he is very willing to chat with me to go through the idea of the NDAA and has given me his number. I will be speaking to him during the week and will come back to you then.

Fuinnseog - Definetely think we should all meet up after I talk to this guy to set up the NDAA and set the ball rolling!

• Advertisement

Ah i see, i thought you meant it was in St. Annes, doh! A bit too far from myself
    Meant to ask you would this potential site be too far for you.

St Anne's would still suit me but perhaps if this gets off the ground then this site would potentially be suitable for some people around this side of town or in town!

Hi all,

Just been given contact details for possible allotments in walled garden in St.Margarets/Finglas so please PM for the contact details if you interested.
    It is too far out for me but might suit some of you.

Cheers,
    Fuinnseog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Sundew wrote: »

There is roughly over an acre of ground just inside the War Memorial Gardens gate. It is a seperate "field" if you like. Natural boundries,beside car park etc. I think that you would fit 25/30 allotments here and it's not taking from the park in any way.

That would be a perfect spot for them. I'd be very interested in one here

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blanchdub

Many thanks Sundrew for the link to Grown Your Own
    unfortunately, Oldcastle, Co. Meath is too far from Dublin
    / Blanchardstown.
    I would love to convince a farmer to do the same, but one who is not so far from Dublin 15...maybe once we have a NDAA we could place an ad in the irish farmers Journal and seeing some demand for allotments might give some ideas to a farmer ?? :-)

I agree with Lao Lao, setting up NDAA is a good step.
    I am prepared to help with this.
    War Memorial Gardens gate / or St.Margarets/Finglas...both are great for me I PM you Fuinnseorg. Thanks for your brilliant contribution! :)

St.Margarets/Finglas? Isn't that one of the Fingal Co Co allotment sites? If so it's a long, long, lonnnnnnnnnng waiting list.

St.Margarets/Finglas? Isn't that one of the Fingal Co Co allotment sites? If so it's a long, long, lonnnnnnnnnng waiting list.

Ah..yeah, could well be...I already have my name on it...let's wait maybe Fuinnseog had something else in mind.

Else War memorial sounds liek best bet so far

Hi All,

I talked to a friend who is working on the Balbrigan Transition Town project ( http://www.edie.net/news/news_story.asp?id=14869 - which will will also involve allotments) and he will be refering our chat to a green party concilor for advise...we'll see.

Were you aware of a new allotment area in Luttrelstown? see @ http://roderic.wordpress.com/2008/05/
    I am sending a mail to Roderic to get more information, possibly a date on the conmpletion... Kind Regards

That would be a perfect spot for them. I'd be very interested in one here
    I really think it would be an ideal location to put a few here. I wonder could it be a runner.

EMc I presume you in the Dublin 8/10? any idea who is the most pro-active City Councillor/TD in the area?

Fuinnseog : Here are those few snaps of that small acre beside Islandbridge.
    The Park attendants actually have some sheds there for their tractors and other machinery that they use for the park. They also dump mulch here from around the park!

View looking from carpark towards park offices. Note track in for park attendants and dumped mulch and compost.
    2924359110102176936S425x425Q85.jpg

2567271880102176936S425x425Q85.jpg

2112800910102176936S425x425Q85.jpg
    2055220280102176936S425x425Q85.jpg

The only thing I have seen this piece of ground used for is as a dog run but as it's part of a much wider area there is plenty of ground and other green spaces for dogs.

OldGoat & Blanchdub, i was under the impression that the walled garden was privately owned and that the owner was interested in letting it out for allotments. I might have got the wrong end of the stick though.

Blanchdub, did you ring the contact for St. Margarets that i PM-ed you? If no luck with him, i'll pm you the details of the person who passed it onto me.

Sundew, i can't see the snaps, are the links working?

Sundew, i can't see the snaps, are the links working?

I can see them perfectly. can anybody else not see the photos posted?

I'll mail them to you so.

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »

I'd read that piece before. Still very relevant today. Nice smiley by the way.

It's time that we got together on a more formal footing. PM me with meeting suggestions, times and locations please. We'll take the time and venue that is most convienet to the majority and fill in the details for anyone who can't make it.
    Evenings and weekends good for me. Venue - Botanic Garden Cafe just to get the ball rolling.

I'd read that piece before. Still very relevant today. Nice smiley by the way.

The eager to get digging in dirt smiley :D:D:D

OldGoat - I agree we should all meet up soon but could I suggest that we wait till LaoLao has had a chat with SDAA? Then we can use that any useful info to help formulate the NDAA.

The cakes in Botanic Gardens cafe are well worth the trip! :pac: So as long as that suits everyone else that's fine with me. If it's awkward to get to for some, maybe we could meet in city centre?

I am free this weekend or Mon - Wed evenings next week anytime after 6pm.

Fuinnseog wrote: »
    <Snip> I suggest that we wait till LaoLao has had a chat with SDAA? Then we can use that any useful info to help formulate the NDAA.

That was my intention. I've PM'd Lao Lao to find out if contact has been made with SDAA yet. Knowing the speed of Dubliners it will be a couple of weeks before we eventually have a consenous of opinion on where and when. I think Harry Byrnes would be a better venue but perhaps we should save that pleasure for another time.

Grand, another suggestion for location to keep the ball rolling then would be the stables cafe in St. Annes as most people are close to that seeing as that was where we were initially thinking of allotments.

For safety's sake I was going to send an email round about the suitable times for the meeting rather than have it up on the board. Am i being over cautious? :confused: I'm very wary of open boards for stuff like that.

Hi Fuinnseog,

Botanic Gardens cafe would be easier for me...but if the majority prefer St Anne, I'll be there.

Concerning the contact for St.Margarets/Finglas I read and read again your PM...but I only see the name of the person...no tel number or email address...was this intended? should I search in the phone directory?...the name is fairly common I think you just forgot to type the tel number, am I right?

many thanks :-)

StAnnes is really convienient for me too. Lets wait till we have some other replies and then we'll email all interested parties with time and location.

• Advertisement

forgot to mention: won't be able to attend on Saturday 16th.
    Ok on Sunday 17th ( best day actually as traffic is lighter) and any day from Monday to Friday after 18:00

Advertisement