Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lornstar

Thanks a million for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KeiCia

Hi,

my name is on a very, very long list for an allotment. Has anyone managed to find any private allotments on the north side of Dublin? I don't have the patience to wait another year for a public one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fatchops

Hi fuinnseog pm'd you yesterday and would be really interested in an allotment plot and helping out, my location is D9

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KeiCia

Hi Fatchops,

i havent received a pm from Fuinnseog. Will check again later today.

Keicia

kecia,
    I got a reply, I will pm to later on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fuinnseog

Only private allotments on the north side of Dublin I know of are so far are in West Dublin.

There was plans to start an allotment in Harristown in North County Dublin but I haven't heard any more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mmac

Lao Lao wrote: »
    Had posted this in the gardening thread but got no answers, anybody here know of the below?

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there are any allotments still going in Dublin, preferably the north side of Dublin?

Cheers
    yes contact 0872365076 slane area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 queenie1

try www.irishallotments.net it has a list of allotments, contacts etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Press Release - O’Gorman welcomes confirmation on opening of Tyrrelstown allotments – renews call for more allotments to be provided in Dublin 15

13/04/09
    http://roderic.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/press-release-o%e2%80%99gorman-welcomes-confirmation-on-opening-of-tyrrelstown-allotments-%e2%80%93-renews-call-for-more-allotments-to-be-provided-in-dublin-15/

ogorman-tyrrelstown-allotments-small.jpg

• Advertisement

FINGAL COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING

WEDNESDAY 15TH APRIL 2009

ITEM NO. 12 - Tyrrlestown allotments

Question: Councillor J. Corr
    “To ask the Manager when the new allotments at Tyrrelstown will be open, how many of these are reserved for current allotment holders vacating other sites in Dublin 15, what is the current waiting list for allotments in the Dublin 15 area and how many allotments could be provided in the second phase at Tyrrelstown?”

Reply:
    The construction works have been completed with the exception of the electricity supply. We have engaged the ESB to carry out these works and we anticipate completion within the next two months.

All those who vacated allotments in Cappogue will be accommodated in the new development and approximately 100 allotments will be allocated to those on the waiting list.

There are no plans to construct a second phase at this location due to current budgetary constraints.

http://roderic.wordpress.com/category/allotments/
    COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING

MONDAY, 8th December, 2008

ITEM NO. 9

ALLOTMENT WAITING LIST

Question: Councillor D. Healy

“To ask the Manager what is the current size of the waiting list for allotments in the Dublin 15 area and whether, in light of the large number of applicants, he will consider developing the second phase of the new allotments at Tyrrelstown/Powerstown?”

Reply:

There are currently 365 persons on the waiting list for allotments in the Dublin 15 area. Phase One of the new allotment scheme at Powerstown will provide for approximately 250 allotments.

Following the allocation of allotments in Phase 1, the waiting list will be further examined and consideration, if necessary, can be then be given to the provision of a second phase.

get ireland growing new website
    http://www.getgrowing.ie/

Here is a Birds eye view of the field the allotments are in before it was developed in Microsoft live maps.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=sx297sgfzyry&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=42334058&encType=1

and an over head photo in Microsoft live maps

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=53.415742~-6.401004&style=h&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Photos of the allotments taken by me on Saturday 2 may 2009

78998.jpg
    This is assume is the size of one plot
    78999.jpg
    Irrigation control valve
    79000.jpg
    The site is not flat as can be seen form the photo
    79001.jpg
    Security fence seems good
    79002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Word on the street is that there's to be 80 in Crumlin and 40 in Ballyfermot. tbc

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Hi there luckyshay, do you actually own the plots or did you sign a contract to rent for 11months and 1 week? Im asking because my contract states the plot may be only used by myself and my family. I dont think they are meant to be rented on to other people.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

tampopo wrote: »
    Word on the street is that there's to be 80 in Crumlin and 40 in Ballyfermot. tbc
    Interesting. Any further word or rumor on this?

Also wondering if anyone knows what is planned for the empty lot in Summerhill/Buckingham St. after they tore down the old flats. It's security fenced off and looks like a suitable area for a dozen plots. I'm sure there would be plenty of local interest in some greenspace.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Hi all! I am really interested in finding an allotment near the city centre, I'm in Dublin 1. Is it too late to join your group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just wondering if anybody has actually decided to do some gorilla allotment gardening or seen any ?
    I have noticed in a certain part of Dublin where some locals have planted some allotments in a free green space in a mature housing estate. I was going to ask if they would mind if I planted some stuff too but not sure if they would object to an"outsider" planting some veg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Sundew wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has actually decided to do some gorilla allotment gardening or seen any ?
    I have noticed in a certain part of Dublin where some locals have planted some allotments in a free green space in a mature housing estate. I was going to ask if they would mind if I planted some stuff too but not sure if they would object to an"outsider" planting some veg!

I'm involved in a slightly guerilla style allotment thing on Bridgefoot street, D8. Is that anywhere near you?

• Advertisement

That sounds really interesting, what's involved

Piece of unused land, I built a few raised beds for veg, more people have gotten involved and we have over 30 raised beds now, each is approx 1.8m by 4m

I'm involved in a slightly guerilla style allotment thing on Bridgefoot street, D8. Is that anywhere near you?

I've seen the ones in Bridgefoot St. I'm only 15 mins on the bus from there!
    The ones I've seen are in Inchicore and they have done a nice job.

Sundew wrote: »
    I've seen the ones in Bridgefoot St. I'm only 15 mins on the bus from there!
    The ones I've seen are in Inchicore and they have done a nice job.

I didn't know about the Inchicore gardens. I must take a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fuinnseog

Hi all,

Anyone interested in garden share projects on the north side?

Fuinnseog wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone interested in garden share projects on the north side?

Hya Fuinnseog. I might be. PM or post me details?
    Article in the times a while back talking about allotments. There was a few words from the South Dublin allotment association. They listed the numbers of allotments supplied by SDCC, D&RCC & Fingal CC but for some reason they couldn't list any numbers fron DCC. :rolleyes:
    The annoying part of the article was that they never passed comment on the lack of plots from DCC. :mad: Journalists these days, pffffft!

I'm just after listening to a nice piece on the Bridgefoot Community Gardens on "Morning Ireland" today the 10th of june.
    You should be able to listen to a podcast of it, later on today on this link :)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

OldGoat wrote: »
    Interesting. Any further word or rumor on this?

Also wondering if anyone knows what is planned for the empty lot in Summerhill/Buckingham St. after they tore down the old flats. It's security fenced off and looks like a suitable area for a dozen plots. I'm sure there would be plenty of local interest in some greenspace.

I'm pretty sure they've nothing planned but reams of overpriced apartments.

Degsy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they've nothing planned but reams of overpriced apartments.
    Probably right but if that is the plan then it could be a year or two (or more) before they get round to starting. It could be another 'Bridgefoot' project like the one Arse...Biscuits seems to have created.
    (Kudos on that by the way Arse...Biscuits)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

For anybody northside there's a huge derelict area where smurfits printers used to be in glasnevin.Its mostly concretye but i've noticed a lot of trees and things popping up lately.

Advertisement