Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiators is back!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is chavtastic television. On the chav channel, sky 1. ;)
    Personally I think it is terrible television. Over hyped at that.

I watched this yesterday and it was great . I was in shock , but the final mens round was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Both Eliminators last night were fantastic and exciting. Surely the guy who won the mens was about the worst contestant ever? Fair play to him though. Did what looked impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, the other quarter finalists are praying they get him.... almost as good as a Bye to the semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I watched this yesterday and it was great . I was in shock , but the final mens round was great.

I was in absolute shock when that guy one it. He was a brutal contestant.

For some reason I don't really care for any of the gladiators. They seem, I dunno, fake or something. Like their trying to be the old gladiators - no personalities of their own.

• Advertisement

Give them time I'd say to develop a personality. They do look a tad wooden alright now alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I have to agree with bond. I think its terrible. I'm not comparing it in any way to the 90s version of the show which is a classic. I suppose my one and only gripe about the show is the gladiators themselves. They all act super hard as nails "look at us were soooo tough"

The show itself isn't actually half bad its a pretty good reboot but i don't like a single gladiator in the show not one of them has any bit of personality (at least oblivion tries to be a badass) If the gladiators dropped the stupid trying to look the "well 'ard" approach and took themselves a little less serious id say it would be a great show.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    Personally I think it is terrible television. Over hyped at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

not at all convinced with the new show.

the new games are poor, the gladiators are a bit sh!te (one or two of the lady ones are kinda cute though) and don't get me started on ian fcuking wright..

that being said, both eliminators the other night were quality, although what's the point of the cotton wheel? they just fall off it straight away!

also, the commentator isn't a patch on the old guy.. i mean, he doesn't even say "over to john anderson" at the start of the game!

it's not a patch on the original, im sure everyone will agree on that, but then again the original does have the benefit of nostalgia

it's early days, but i don't think it's going to improve.

Unless the they surprise us all and bring out Wolf later on down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Tonight's episode was great. That poor bloke at the end...it was actually emotional!Last week's eliminator was great too... I won't listen to the begrudgers,IMO Gladiators is better than ever..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

zuchum wrote: »
    Tonight's episode was great. That poor bloke at the end...it was actually emotional!Last week's eliminator was great too... I won't listen to the begrudgers,IMO Gladiators is better than ever..

Yes It was really fun to watch! Gladiators is so fun =]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

a comment about the us gladiators, they were having a hulk special and loui F was there, but a guy went and spent the whole day doing duel and nothing else... so the only shoot one game per day, rather the a contender going through a whole day of trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought that the whole show was pretty emotional, with the guys anyway. The gladiators were hugging the contestants and saying how great everyone was.

The girls were still bitchy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I just can't get into this show. Maybe it's Ian Wright, maybe it's the fact there are no attractive women, maybe it's cos I liked the old shows too much.

I watched the nineties version on FTN earlier though and it's way more entertaining than the current one in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭glenn3ie

Was the travellator even turned on tonight?

It'll be the last time I'm watching it. Extremely disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Definitely a bad show tonight, but I've been enjoying it overall.

Women weren't great tonight, pathetic on the pyramid. There's been some fit birds competing though, makes up for the lackluster glads.

Shame your man went out, between this week and last they lost two great quarter finalists.

The gladiators were a bit better this week, they showed some compassion. Oblivion is still a numskull.

Eliminator blocks suck, should be the rope into paper. Dunno about that cotton wheel either, pointless. Also, your one was faster by skipping the monkey bars tonight than she was if she had done them, that's not right. Also the travelator should be turned up to 11.

What was the illegal entry into the pool though, I missed that?

Think that's all I got for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the roller is lame, a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Women weren't great tonight, pathetic on the pyramid. There's been some fit birds competing though, makes up for the lackluster glads.

Also, your one was faster by skipping the monkey bars tonight than she was if she had done them, that's not right
    Yep, The black woman got away with falling off the bars in the eliminator, it would have took here way longer than 10 seconds to cross that so the penalty was actually a bonus, her arms were so weak she couldn't even swing on hang tough she just hung in the same spot and fell by herself :D Why do some people even bother applying for these shows if they're not even close to being capable for it. I've seen stronger people queuing for their pension ffs. Shame about the bloke's knee at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

im full of hope for this, its starting to get better, but theres some stuff needs to change...

1) duel, the stands are too close together, its not as bruising as it used to be, because they're too close to swing properly.
    2) the lighting throughout the show is poor, and the camera work isnt much better, makes it very hard to follow the games.
    3) the rules need to be explained better. for example, theres apparently a no diving rule at the start of the eliminator, but we havent been told this, and the time penalties are unclear. The games, especially hang tough (which i think has changed in shape), and the eliminator need a graphic at the start showing the layout etc.
    4) Pyramid should have more steps, and not as high as they are. on the old game they were the equivilant of four "house"steps.
    5)Spartan and atlas are good good guys, oblivion is a good bad guy, the others need to get on with the work and stop trying to develop bad guy personalities.
    6) the girl gladiators need a serious training session at some of the games, they've been quite poor.
    7) the travelator...why is it so slow? its harmless now.
    8) the cotton wheel, pointless.
    9) a bigger crowd would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the white one, emma i think, was on another sky programme before, that martial art reality show thing..

On tonight's show a guy was disqualified and got none of the points he'd already earned in that game. I'm pretty sure a girl was disqualified last week but got to keep the points she'd earned. Anyone know if this happened, and if so, why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Saw one of the new episodes for the first time tonight. Wasn't a great one. Pity about Gavins (iirc) knee. Perfer the old ones. Stil brought back a few memories though..always wanted to take part in gladiators so I could do the eliminator at the end and run up the travelator!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

janeybabe wrote: »
    On tonight's show a guy was disqualified and got none of the points he'd already earned in that game. I'm pretty sure a girl was disqualified last week but got to keep the points she'd earned. Anyone know if this happened, and if so, why?

Yeh I was wondering that aswell. It was last weeks episode wasn't it? She kept stopping during Hit and Run.

orla wrote: »
    Yeh I was wondering that aswell. It was last weeks episode wasn't it? She kept stopping during Hit and Run.

Yeah. A lot of them seem to stop during hit and run. If I was there I'd leg it across and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I think Tempest would be my pick from the girls. She's Fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Biggest load of ****e on tv at the moment: the Gladiators are too strong and the contestants are too weak. Pyramid is an impossible game: if the roles were reversed, the gladiators wouldn't make it to the top either. Stupidity was typified for me during the one man eliminator race when the commentator was still going on as if the outcome was in doubt. I watched it once out of childhood nostalgia but won't be tuning in again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Pigman II wrote: »
    Saw a bit of this today. Has to be said the women on it are a lot more attractive than their promo pix would let you believe.

Even Battleaxe doesn't quite live up to her name.

Have to admit, I like the cut of that Battleaxes jib. Curves and Pigtails, yes please! That Inferno too.

Well, Season One finished last night. I must say the two Eliminators were brilliant. Most exciting I have seen in a long long time.

All in all, I enjoyed the series. The Gladiators developed personalities as it went on. Its easy to see that Oblivion is also a pro wrestler by how he conducts himself.

The major downfall of it though is Ian Wright. An absolutely awful host. I hope he is not involved in the new series'.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the male gladiators were brilliant

tornado was my favourite

really good first series but there were some bad points

Ian wright has to go

get rid of hit and run (****ing useless)

get better women gladiators

keep panter,battle axe and tempest

more of the gauntlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am glad that it is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

battle axe

Must admist I wouldn't mind a rough old roll in the hay with that one. I'd say she'd give a good account for herself.

Advertisement