Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiators is back!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I was a big fan of the 90's version but this was crap. What annoyed me most was all the falling into water. Whats the bloody point of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Actually only watching it on sky 1 now, so havent read the thread, but did anyone else notice one of the new female glads at the start, when they're all being introduced...she totally copied Jets pose. She flicked her hair like Jet used to. Cheek!

Of course now its back, everyones going to claim they were huge fans, but i really worshiped this show. I don't think it will be as good but hopefully it won't ruin its legacy.

Already ive decided i hate panther and battleaxe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ice is the only good looking one, she's no jet though.

Why were there no new events?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The bridge with the flying sacks (?) a total rip off of Takeshi's Castle. :confused:

Though it was a bit cruel when they asked the Scottish girl if she was doing this for her Dad (a former contestant), meanwhile the RAF woman had earlier been in tears cause her father was dead... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Tbh my bro and i really enjoyed it. We weren't comparing it at every point like everyone else here seems to be doing as it was never going to live up to what we remember.

My only gripe is that that travelator at the end looks very slow, i remember contestants used to stand there panting for like 3mins before trying. They all seemed to get up no problem.

I shall be tuning in next week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I watched the american one last night, if u think this arena was small.... the only reason the eliminator was like that was because it's copied from the american one. The glads are tiny though. I'll reserve judgement because i thought it was better than the american one, but that's cause hulk hogan kept saying gladiatormania and they gave the contenders and glads way too much talking time.

I dont like all the stupid poses in the english one. Every time a glad gets shown they do the pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    My only gripe is that that travelator at the end looks very slow, i remember contestants used to stand there panting for like 3mins before trying. They all seemed to get up no problem.
    I noticed that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not a disaster, but think it suffers because of the nostalgic feelings folk have for the earlier series.

New gladiators in particular seem annoying - Oblivion was clearly just trying (or told) to be 'a new Wolf' and it just seemed forced.

But the basic structure is still there, and at least the format hasn't been changed too much - old puzzles remain, with some decent new ones. New Eliminator looks like a bastard though.

Maybe it will find a new audience, but I think for me it'll just be an occasional nostalgic reminder of childhood Saturday nights. At least they didn't completely **** it up like they could have - although the music is ****e (Britney Spears? Really?).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think it'll grow on people. Although I was always a big fan of Saracen, Rhino, Trojan, Hunter, Warrior, Cobra, Jet, Lightning and Wolf, so the Gladiators have a lot to live up to. I do like the addition of the water instead of just the crash mat. It adds another element to the game. The music is probably the only thing that really bugged me. Britney instead of Queen? WTF? And the original theme song kicked ass - should've kept that. Still worth sitting down to watch during dinner on a Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

some serious cameltoe going on when they were introducing the new gladiators. that oblivion lad is clearly tryin to be the new bad one i.e. wolf. he doesnt have a hope, way too prettyboy for it.i didnt like the jump through cubes at the end.i like the swim at the start though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

But the men, they're not nearly as big as the old ones, Rhino, that fcuker was huge.

Met him and Jet a few years ago at a show in London, 4 of us were swinging out of one of his arms and it didn't budge. His arms were huge....

God dam lack of drool smilie.... yahoo_drool.png

But Jet was a beaut in person..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I watched this yesterday and thought it was rubbish. I kept comparing it to the 90s version in my head. Ah well, It might take a few episodes to sink in. Oh yeah they better have that upside down scale electric race event!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I watched it and enjoyed it. Bit drunk though so I will watch next week when sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

What the hell was with the cotton roll thing in the new eliminator by the way? just seemed pointless?

if you manage to hold onto it it will take you all the way to the end. No idea if anyone will ever manage it though. Big advantage if you manage to hold onto it for any length of time.
    although the music is ****e (Britney Spears? Really?).
    actually yeah that annoyed me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Typically people were not going to enjoy this as the hype was massive. That said, i really enjoyed it. The new Eliminator looks a killer. That overhead bike must be murder. Didn't understand why the contestants didn't dive into the water though. The way they bombed slows you down.

The only bad point, and a point which I cannot see improving is Ian Wright. He is a truly awful presenter. And Kirsty needs to wear less clothes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ian Wright is ridiculous hopefully he'll say something stupid and get booted off Sky soon! ;)

It wasn't too bad but then I wasn't looking to nitpick the show but the one thing I noticed is the Gladiators from the 90's in the majority had a background in rugby and this told in Duel and Hit and Run, the new guys have no technique and rightly got destroyed.

There's no point to the roller, that was used in Takeshi's castle before but it was elevated. The only thing I can say about it is you're supposed to roll off and let the momentum take you through the cargo net maybe? The lads did this but the women fell off and had to scurry through the net then.

Tempest is a bit of alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

all i can say is i'll be glad when sky stfu about gladiators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

glad there isn't too much talking and sob stories like the aemreican one, well i missed hte start, what happend to the girl in the eliminator she totally lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Speaking of the female Eliminator, did anyone else think that John Anderson blew his whistle the second time just a little bit too fast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

I feel that this should be a thread of its own.

I know there may be some arsenal fans who have a special place in their heart for him but even they have to admit that he's woeful on TV! I can't see how he keeps getting jobs. He's especially awful on BBC's soccer coverage. Absolutely nothing intelligent to say. I get the sneaking the suspicion that he's supposed to be comic relief and if he is then the jokes on those who pay their TV license.

Ian Wright = a poor man's John Fashanu?

No. He's not even that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,967 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I feel that this should be a thread of its own.

I know there may be some arsenal fans who have a special place in their heart for him but even they have to admit that he's woeful on TV! I can't see how he keeps getting jobs. He's especially awful on BBC's soccer coverage. Absolutely nothing intelligent to say. I get the sneaking the suspicion that he's supposed to be comic relief and if he is then the jokes on those who pay their TV license.

Ian Wright = a poor man's John Fashanu?

No. He's not even that good.

Ian must have some class agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

I don't like how Ian Wright is presenting alongside Kirty Gallagher, he just doesn't have that spark like she does. Get him off now! Other than that, I love the series so far and will continue to watch it. If it goes well, are they going to bring it back AGAIN!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I know there may be some arsenal fans who have a special place in their heart for him but even they have to admit that he's woeful on TV!

Arsenal supporter here and I find him awful on tv. Always have.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I watched the original the other day and the new one is better in pretty much every department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Saw a bit of this today. Has to be said the women on it are a lot more attractive than their promo pix would let you believe.

Even Battleaxe doesn't quite live up to her name.

I really enjoyed it again tonight i must say.
    How your man made up that lead i'll never know (well him falling off the bike helped i'm sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 worried shooter

It is chavtastic television. On the chav channel, sky 1. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I actually enjoyed it too.... I agree with pigman, the girls look better in action than they do in their promo pics. Still can't believe how much makeup some of them are wearing though.

I don't think the foam blocks at the end of the eliminator are a great idea though... I think the rope/paper screen from the old one is more dramatic. The end of the the women's eliminator proved this - it was a case of whoever 'touched' the foam blocks first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought it was alright and enjoyable enough but where it was founding wanting compared to the original series was with the small crowd. The original series had that real big arena feel to it with the big crowds that used to attend.

Advertisement