Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

For me Davis's is my favourite. A great selection of dishes on the menu. Fast friendly service and proper meals. Not a dish where nothing meets on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have to agree with proon4 and magnumlady, Davis's is a damn fine restaurant, and definitely one of the most consistent restaurants in Sligo.

I've never eaten there and not come away satisfied.. and they have the finest creamed potatoes I've ever eaten!

Am amazed at how cheap it's gotten with the VAT reduction.. €10 - €11 on average for a main course dish with sides. Amazing value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

proon4 wrote: »
    Fine dining or whatever you want to call it. People vote with their money. There is not a resturant in Sligo or maybe Ireland that even in these hard times is as busy. Its all right having a michelin star resturant or chef but if people arent using it, that tells me its just food snobbery. This week has proved that again when "celebrity" chef Conrad Gallaghers resturants have closed down yet again , as all his previous ones have too. Davis's have been in businness giving great food and value for nearly 40 years through all kinds of reccessions and boomtimes. That to me tells me they are doing it right. look over the last few years the dozens of restaurants that have come and gone...

That's true and it's easy to see why. Good food at good prices-a restaurant to cater for the masses,but wouldn't be as high quality as the likes of Montmarte,but at least it doesn't pretend to be by over pricing customers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I worked in Davis' as a 'trainee' waitress for two years. You're worked off your feet there and the pay wasn't ideal. However, theres a reason why people keep coming back, they've got a good location but the food is nearly always consistent. I'd definitely eat here with friends. The vegetarian menu could do with a revamp though.

Now I'm going to dream of their garlic cheese potatoes.... thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Basq wrote: »
    Am amazed at how cheap it's gotten with the VAT reduction.. €10 - €11 on average for a main course dish with sides. Amazing value!

Are you sure??

http://www.yeatstavernrestaurant.com/index.php/menus/

I had a look at the A la carte menu, and the main courses are typically from 14-26 euro.

• Advertisement

That's not particularly cheap

Looks a nice menu though,must head down again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Looks a nice menu though,must head down again soon.

Ya they do a lovely seafood mornay. Must go again soon, it's generally very nice.

For good value I'd recommend the bar in Donaghy's. The steak sandwich is fantastic,and the fish pie

Geuze wrote: »
    Are you sure??

http://www.yeatstavernrestaurant.com/index.php/menus/

I had a look at the A la carte menu, and the main courses are typically from 14-26 euro.
    Think that's actually a menu from 2009.. note the filename (2009menu.pdf).

I know their Chicken Maryland (which is €15.50 on that menu is about €13.50 on their most recent menu, and that's excluding the VAT reduction).

Got 2 Chicken Marylands (chicken maryland, banana & pineapple fritters, creamed potatoes, veg and sauce) in there recently 2 - 3 weeks back and 2 soft drinks and it was around €30.

And here's their lunch menu from today.. all around a tenner for a main course:

Untitled_102.jpg

• Advertisement

That was a good meal for two Basq for 30

That was a good meal for two Basq for 30
    Bloody delish too... best meal to cure a hangover you can buy! :D

I dunno,a Sakura curry with noodles on the couch is the best for me :P

I dunno,a Sakura curry with noodles on the couch is the best for me :P

Who's gonna break it to him?

>>

<<

Ok then, Sakura has closed down :(

They said due to relocation but I haven't heard anything about them reopening.

I know that but they will be I'm friends with the delivery driver :D

I know that but they will be I'm friends with the delivery driver :D

Oh cool, any idea when and where?

He didn't but the woman running it said they will be reopening. Apparently the bank got the building,not sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

I don't know..... the venue, the strand, bellavista....

Your recomendations, thinking of bringing a few kids camping in the next week or so!

Got a takeaway from Bellavista and had no complaints!

Any futher recommendation?????

Venue is decent.It's basic bar food but can depend on it being good,the chicken burger is my favourite.
    For a finer dining experience tra ban would be the one. How old are the kids?

I've never had a bad meal anywhere in Strandhill. Shells cafe do some lovely food, Bellavista is delish and the chinese over the Strand is lovely, have yet to try Tra Ban in the Strand, must give it a go soon. The Venue is lovely also, everyone raves about the chicken wings. (I only get chicken wings as takeaway cos I like eating them like a cave woman!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Plenty of choices (I'll throw in a few of my fav dishes - not to all tastes as I like spicy but here they are):

The Venue :- (Chicken Wings !!!!) Sorry to contradict Urban but its not basic Bar Food, try the Fajitas Yum or if your there on Friday its Surf & Turf night (and a free vino). PS The Steaks are delish any day of the week.

Bella Vista : The best Pizza in the village, nay Sligo. Kids will love it (Volcano is my fave but try the Aussie Burger, you don't know whether to eat it or climb it). Great Pasta Menu too.

Jade Garden Chinese : Frankie So is the master of chinese dishes and we are lucky to have him here in the village. Every thing is tasty and if you're dining in get the Crispy Chicken Starter or the Duck Pancakes. All the Schezwans are gorgeous too.

Tra Ban : Loverly but more for a rosemantic meal for yourself and the wife/partner (get a babysitter that night). Anthony (aka Chicken) and Cedric will look after ye. Again lovely seafood.

Shells Cafe : Get over there for breakfast and order the Eggs Benedict. Jeeze I think there's drugs in them cause I always want a second helping (there's not obviously just a fab chef and great menu).

When the tide is low take a walk around Poolcurry point (turn left at the Cannon and keep walking). On Culleenamore Beach at the end theres a path at the right hand side the Golf Course towards the Clubhouse. Pop in for anytime in the afternoon, they make a mean burger there. The menu is limited but the food is great.

Next stop the Food Network for my own show

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Tra Ban is a wee treat. Very classy place with experienced chefs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

You have to go to Bella Vista!
    The food is delicious and the staff are really friendly.They do a fantastic early bird menu as well-its really ggod value.Check it out on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

You have to go to Bella Vista!
    The food is delicious and the staff are really friendly.They do a fantastic early bird menu as well-its really good value.Check it out on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!!

Some good info there!!

Cheers
    JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

jajjay wrote: »
    I don't know..... the venue, the strand, bellavista....

Your recomendations, thinking of bringing a few kids camping in the next week or so!

Got a takeaway from Bellavista and had no complaints!

Any futher recommendation?????

Bellavista's food is fantastic, but way to expensive as you will find out with a few kids in tow, If you have a car head back in to Sligo town and if it's fast-food you are after then theres the Happy Eater across from the bus station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Bellavista's food is fantastic, but way to expensive as you will find out with a few kids in tow, If you have a car head back in to Sligo town and if it's fast-food you are after then theres the Happy Eater across from the bus station.

Ummm, the OP asked about Strandhill, not Sligo town. There's a few chippers in Strandhill anyway.

In other news, OP, I would recommend anywhere in the strand. In fairness to them, they do very little wrong in there. Food has always been top class, tho not been in it since the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We had lunch in Bellavista a while back and I wasn't impressed. It was OK but that was about it. We were also stuck in a table to the side and there wasn't a whole lot of room to get in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

magnumlady wrote: »
    We had lunch in Bellavista a while back and I wasn't impressed. It was OK but that was about it. We were also stuck in a table to the side and there wasn't a whole lot of room to get in and out.

I always found that with the BellaVista too. Food was always OK, never great or anything beyond. Last time we were there they under boooked the table for us and we ended up nearly elbow to elbow cramming around tables trying to fit in.

• Advertisement

I was in the Silver Apple the other night,had one of the best meals I've had in a long time.

Had the crab parcel to start. Was done in filo pastry with leeks and butternut squash,served in a saffron cream,was delicious.

Secondly I had the chicken supreme,wrapped in bacon stuffed with black pudding and cashel blue. I don't like blue cheese but it wasn't too overpowering. Finished off with the sticky toffee pudding then,it's making me drool at the thought of it.

Advertisement