Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Council Rents're being reviewed locally; residents've about a fortnight from now til end of month to get forms returned.

Local Matriarch in her community and the town thinks it's a disgrace......

Spoke to a social housing applicant over last few weeks; he's 15 years in Ireland & 7-8 on list & that's himself, wife, daughter + dog.

Offered a house in JSP directly from Carlow Co. Co.; declined it w/out even seeing which one it was or where it was or what it was like inside; then got an AHB offer of a 3 bed & is lukewarm at the offer on basis no backgarden for dog to do its business & that the house is better off being designed as 2 reasonably sized bedrooms & not 3 smaller ones.........

Rent is.......€300.....for a Three Bedroom House.....on open market it'd be minimum €800-€1,200!

I rent privately; I pay just shy of €600 for 1 Bed; someone offer's me a 3 Bed for €300 they won't have the hand left on them!!!!!

Said Matriarch goes and says this "Yes Carlow Council carrying out rent review watch us suffer watch families go into poverty over their rents been raised to ridiculous amt"? A ridiculous amount? Try paying normal rents & you'll know what a ridiculous amount is!

Bang of entitlement off some folks's unreal!!

"Yet Carlow Council penalize families raising rent and very limited repairs to what is their property."; think residents should be doing their own repairs albeit using council contractors from an agreed list to cover council rather than having residents use cowboys; said residents are unlikely to have to pay for own repairs in any case!!

Bramleys have signs up on both street walls indicating their relocation; no date listed yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Bramleys have signs up on both street walls indicating their relocation; no date listed yet though.

Any idea where to?

Any idea where to?

Tullow St.; old Halifax/Finegans building > https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112520132&postcount=4647

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

RTE nationwide doing a week of programmes on the three sisters rivers. Lots of time given to Kilkenny town/city on the Nore. Completely skipped over Carlow Town on the Barrow. No mention of it.

What a joke.

At least we're safe from coronavirus - if someone from Donnybrook can't find Carlow Town then a virus from China has no hope.

• Advertisement

Victorias Bridal on Castle Hill (can never fathom why the hilly piece is Castle St. and the flat bit is Castle Hill.....) is closing soon.....

Tullow St. Barbers (Olivias Place to some) is shut down; I already recommended an alternative by PM to a fellow contributor on here & the response subsequently to visit was positive.

New "Mosque" going in where RCCG Christian Church building was upstairs from Chartbusters was (one of a number of units Carlow Shopping Centre just can't fill and for quite some time now); due to be ready for Ramadan in April (Thursday the 23rd til Saturday the 23rd of May); the unit was Little Tots Montessori/Creche before that again.

For de wimin into it Gellicious has relocated after about 1.75 years (Summer 2018 I think) to be beside their other premises on aforementioned Castle Hill; think it was most recently a Fly & Fit Tailoring/Seamstress Service.

Finally for book lovers like myself the annual Carlow Lions Club Booksale is running from Mon.-Sat. from Monday the 9th of March & at 10am-6pm in 138 Tullow St.; previously it's been in the unit beside Dealz/Paul Whites Pharmacy.

No. 138 Tullow St.'s where there was a Phoenix Vape Shop most recently and was Swans Electrical before that again.

Normally they run til at least Easter; with Pan Celtic in town beginning on the Tuesday I imagine they might stay going for that week and maybe a little bit more so could be 5-6 weeks; it's a huge voluntary & logistical undertaking in terms of tables, boxes and boxes of books, CDs & DVDs; most tables have 3 rows of books on each of them and it's a case of pick up the book you want cos even if in doubt you'll struggle to go back and find which table it was on and where abouts in middle or at to or end of which row etc.

IMC Cinema in Fairgreen has 8 Screens; currently 50% (4) of them've NO HEATING; signs're there advising customers but they'll still charge full whack (I was in Screen 6 and paid €10) and won't throw in a box of popcorn, a bottle of pop or a packet of sweets to soften the blow.

Reckon there was 30, maybe 40 in with me so that's €300-€400 before incidentals; like they either shut those screens down or as I say, throw in a sweetener.

Film I went to see wasn't available in Omniplex unfortunately; Dark Waters which I 100% recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

IMC Cinema in Fairgreen has 8 Screens; currently 50% (4) of them've NO HEATING; signs're there advising customers but they'll still charge full whack.

Is the heating broke in them or they deliberately are leaving them off?

denis160 wrote: »
    Is the heating broke in them or they deliberately are leaving them off?

Signs on door & inside say "Due to adverse weather the heating isn't working in...."; not sure what caused 'em all to go off or when & no staff member I spoke to tonight seemed to know when it'll be fixed.

Kept the jacket on when there tonight that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I went to see the Joker there maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago, could be even more and the heating was broke in those screens then so doesnt look like much has been done to rectify the problem then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,469 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The heating issue has been an issue in the IMC for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Real Life wrote: »
    I went to see the Joker there maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago, could be even more and the heating was broke in those screens then so doesnt look like much has been done to rectify the problem then.

It’s a few months since I was there and there was at least one screen with that notice up. Won’t be going back there until that is resolved, crazy they are charging full price and think it’s ok to have no heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nickyc1

I want to change an insert stove for a new one, chimney flu is already in and everything so should be a straight swap. Unfortunately l haven’t a breeze about these things. Would anyone have any idea of the cost of getting that installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nickyc1 wrote: »
    I want to change an insert stove for a new one, chimney flu is already in and everything so should be a straight swap. Unfortunately l haven’t a breeze about these things. Would anyone have any idea of the cost of getting that installed[/quote

If it's just a straight swap less than a few hundred. O&O construction is good at installs and a decent chap

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nickyc1

iano.p wrote: »
    Nickyc1 wrote: »
    I want to change an insert stove for a new one, chimney flu is already in and everything so should be a straight swap. Unfortunately l haven’t a breeze about these things. Would anyone have any idea of the cost of getting that installed[/quote

If it's just a straight swap less than a few hundred. O&O construction is good at installs and a decent chap

Yeah it’s a straight swap I’d hardly think more than €200 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,469 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see McCauley's are selling unsealed individual surgical mask for €4 a piece.

Price gouging at its very worst from a company that should be there to help the people in this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

https://jjkavanagh.ie/jj-kavanagh-sons-covid-19-service-update/

JJ Kavanaghs are suspending nearly all services including Carlow to Dublin/Waterford and Carlow to Kilkenny from Monday the 16th.

S**t suddenly got real; Milanos is shutting from now/earlier til the forseeable!

Wangs, D&Gs & Yummy Noodles're **probably** going to do the same when I popped into all three.

Scraggs & Tullys'd already made decision to stay closed today & going forward prior to this evenings announcement; Wetherspoons ws still trading away at the time; Foundry didn't open Friday; hard run a nightclub when you can only have 100 in it in fairness & when that includes staff it reduces income even more.

This is the new normal for the coming weeks it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

S**t suddenly got real; Milanos is shutting from now/earlier til the forseeable!

Wangs, D&Gs & Yummy Noodles're **probably** going to do the same when I popped into all three.

Scraggs & Tullys'd already made decision to stay closed today & going forward prior to this evenings announcement; Wetherspoons ws still trading away at the time; Foundry didn't open Friday; hard run a nightclub when you can only have 100 in it in fairness & when that includes staff it reduces income even more.

This is the new normal for the coming weeks it would seem.

And yet, all the barbers seem to be open where there has to be human to human contact. All a bit bizarre. Saw the Gardai doing a round of supermarket car parks yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I work in town and a lot of hairdressers and barbers and cafes still open. Tullow Gate was open until 12 but now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lads

Remember Christy Walshe, DJ on CKR FM?

What was the name of the piece of music he had on his show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

Money needs to be washed just like hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Nalz wrote: »
    Lads

Remember Christy Walshe, DJ on CKR FM?

What was the name of the piece of music he had on his show?

I think it was Popcorn?

Nope, but the melody was quite similar to that. Slower and flowing, kinda synth brass.

The only other place I used to hear that music was in supermacs when they had one of those teddy bear grabbing slot machine thingys.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Nalz wrote: »
    Nope, but the melody was quite similar to that. Slower and flowing, kinda synth brass.

The only other place I used to hear that music was in supermacs when they had one of those teddy bear grabbing slot machine thingys.

That’s an actual brilliant description. It was deffo in supermacs too !!!

I can hear it in my head !!!

Here it is ... i rang a fella that knew him (it takes about 25 seconds in before you’ll recognise it)

https://youtu.be/MBhRwp9LVyc

doughef wrote: »
    That’s an actual brilliant description. It was deffo in supermacs too !!!

I can hear it in my head !!!

Here it is ... i rang a fella that knew him (it takes about 25 seconds in before you’ll recognise it)

https://youtu.be/MBhRwp9LVyc

hero!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Speaking of CKR FM reminds of working nights in Braun, they had the music on a loop, same thing every night. Still, I learned the words to Stairway to Heaven as I worked!

Maison (Fashion Outlet/Clothes Shop) opposite Supermacs on the corner of Castle St. (it's a fecking hill!!) is swapping with Sherry-Fitz McDermott on Barrack St.; the latter're seeking a bigger premises with their Barrack St. premises already painted in the Maison green livery instead of the SFMcD navy blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

Are all the barbers closed now for the foreseeable?

Advertisement