Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So a lot of people saying it's unnecessary over in AH. Anyone actually think it's necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DesF wrote: »
    I don't want to be able to see other people's thanks, it ruins the thread flow.
    Likewise.

Please get rid of this off my user settings asap, it's really pointless and will only be abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Any chance of two things?

A. That the thanks button isn't the further button to the right. Cause since the implementation of the quick reply, it's been my most used button, and as such, the logical place for it is on the further to the right :)
    We could more it inside a little bit :)

B. That there's an option to turn off thanks just like you can turn off sigs :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So a lot of people saying it's unnecessary over in AH. Anyone actually think it's necessary?
    There are many forums (fora) where advice is sought and given, a "thumbs up" is a quick way to show appreciation without +1 and incrementing your postcount without actually contributing anything.

It also indicates to others that the information given is appreciated!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It probably is unecessary on AH, but on a lot of other forums where people are asking and answering questions and helping each other out it's nice to be able to register thanks. It's also useful when there's more than one conflicting answer, the one with the most thanks will have worked for the most people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

There are many forums (fora) where advice is sought and given, a "thumbs up" is a quick way to show appreciation without +1 and incrementing your postcount without actually contributing anything.
    Indeed, but it's not necessary here. Perhaps on certain fora such as PI, but the overwhelming majority of fora on Boards have no use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I was wondering how everyone was clocking up all the thanks so quickly! So this is the secret thanking spot then! Nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's nice, as long as it does not start appearing after every post. It's a bit of an eyeful then.
    Also it's position should be changed slightly imo.

Thanks...

Once the novalty value goes it will become just another tool!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Once the novalty value goes it will become just another tool!

You mean like this guy?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

PHB wrote: »

A. That the thanks button isn't the further button to the right. Cause since the implementation of the quick reply, it's been my most used button, and as such, the logical place for it is on the further to the right :)

I agree with this man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

This is gonna be abused like crazy in the bar over in bgrh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Seems pointless. However, I'm going to go through the female n4rd pics and thank them for their contributions to the spank bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Will be useful for the lazy arses in Bargain Alerts as basquille mentioned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

PHB wrote: »

Something like, "This user does not accept thanks, be ungrateful."

Or something funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm not a fan of it.

Just seems unecessary IMHO.

Also could cause a popularity contest.

Should be easy to hide them (like sigs), but after a while it wont get used much at all!

Look at this thread it's use has dropped off ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I can see it being of use in the mobile forum and the consumer issues forum, where I post. also bargain alerts, work and jobs.

It has its place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I wonder will people who give advice with computers, personal issues etc . . . . . be all "where is my thanks you fuppin mofo" e.g. to some lonely suicidal person.

muhaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jackz wrote: »
    I wonder will people who give advice with computers, personal issues etc . . . . . be all "where is my thanks you fuppin mofo" e.g. to some lonely suicidal person.

muhaha.

im waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where is my thanks button gone?

Maybe there is a thanks limit per day per user or some such. There should be.

I just got thanks from Xavi6 though.

he's been thanking as much as I have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

1002_thaaannks.jpg

Thanks!

I just got thanks from Xavi6 though.

he's been thanking as much as I have been.

Got thanks?

There needs to be tshirts...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Jackz wrote: »

muhaha.

I think people wont be all that concerned, tbh. It'll be a good way to judge an advice-givers quality of post though.

Where is my thanks button gone?
    maybe one server in the cluster is not in a thanking mood!

maybe one server in the cluster is not in a thanking mood!

I moved servers like that.

I was thanking everyone.

I really hope my thanking privileges haven't been revoked. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

11 thanks in 7 posts, DesF. Very impressive!

• Advertisement

I moved servers like that.

I was thanking everyone.

I really hope my thanking privileges haven't been revoked. :(

Clear your cache/cookies.

Advertisement