Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many unnecessary counties in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And it has leprechauns and pots of gold at the end of rainbows....

You're not fooling anyone missy. There's no such thing as Leitrim.

the hilarious thing is i was having this exact same argument yesterday with a girl from Leitrim.

according to her yes Leitrtim does actually have Leprechauns and Fairies and the likes.however they do not appear for us "city" folk.they have to believe that you have some good old style country blood in you before they will let you anywhere near them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

biko wrote: »
    I lolled at this :D

as did I :p

and the Cork bit :cool:

I think it's a brilliant set of ideas overall!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Saint_Mel wrote: »

Aah sorry. It was your name, I've yet to meet a male that can be classed as a saint. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

Get rid of wickla, notin but tree hugin gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

6th wrote: »
    Now Kildare should get split up a bit. I mean Leixlip and Lucan are practically Tallaght so lets stick them in Dublin and unblur that annoying line, you can fight over the right of it cos they all sound like travellers the further west you go in Kildare.

How come people are so clueless when it comes to the geography of their own country?

Lucan is in Dublin. Lucan is not near Tallaght.

FACT: We need more counties, not less.

FACT: There are only 2 counties in Ireland: Dublin and not-Dublin.

Anyone who comes from Dublin knows this.

Anyone who comes from not-Dublin knows this.

Check it out the next time there is a big GAA match on involving Dublin.

"Who're ya up fer?"

"Ah, not Dublin, anyway."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

Fanny **** wrote: »

Cork: I really hate the whole 'People's Republic' thing.

Recomendation: Rename 'East Kerry', that'll teach em.

You were making a good point before you brought Cork into it!

Cork is probably the most unique county in Ireland and I think your forgetting that it's the biggest too!

but i do agree we could lose sligo etc.....

Also rename Dublin to Skangerland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

eoghan h wrote: »

Also rename Dublin to Skangerland

Nah, split Dublin into 2 counties, Skangerland and not Skangerland and be done with it...its not all bad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Leitrim

In 2003, the first sets of traffic lights in Leitrim were installed at a pedestrian crossing in Carrick-on-Shannon.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i vote to get rid of the counties in the republic that flew the union jack over their public buildings before 1922 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bazuki

Ah sure a fair number of towns in Kildare have the 01 area code and have a Dublin accent, let's kick 'em all out.

And Naas. Can we move it to the Aaron Islands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Slow coach wrote: »
    FACT: We need more counties, not less.

FACT: There are only 2 counties in Ireland: Dublin and not-Dublin.

Anyone who comes from Dublin knows this.

Anyone who comes from not-Dublin knows this."

Anyone who uses the word "Fact" at the start or end of their sentence hasn't the first clue what they're talking about

Anyone who isn't an idiot knows this
    Bazuki wrote: »
    Ah sure a fair number of towns in Kildare have the 01 area code and have a Dublin accent, let's kick 'em all out.

And Naas. Can we move it to the Aaron Islands?

Sorry but where exactly is the "Aaron Islands???

Yeah you can turn your light bulb off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bazuki

Sorry but where exactly is the "Aaron Islands???
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

kev_s88 wrote: »
    according to her yes Leitrim does actually have Leprechauns and Fairies and the likes.however they do not appear for us "city" folk.they have to believe that you have some good old style country blood in you before they will let you anywhere near them

I'm going out with a ginger from Leitrim, and he speaks of this mythical fatherland where unicorns and leprechauns roam wild and free, where the people are so friendly they have little use for blood-boiling traffic lights and such.

On the subject of getting rid of a few counties, I put forward Carlow as its just another breeding ground for Dubs, and as we all know theres enough of them as it is. Also whats the point in Co. Monaghan? And to finish, I wholeheartedly support the proposal to amalgamate Kerry with Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

never been in monaghan or leitrim or sligo or roscommon, don't really plan to either. lol and i live in laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

No you missed my point Bazuki the Aran Islands weren't named after Aaron Lennon.

In other words you had it misspelled

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Anyone who uses the word "Fact" at the start or end of their sentence hasn't the first clue what they're talking about

Anyone who isn't an idiot knows this

FACT: This is AH.

FACT: Take anything in AH labelled FACT with a pinch of salt.

Anyone who isn't an idiot knows this. FACT

This last fact is brought to you by the Dept of Propaganda (Children's Div)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Bambi wrote: »
    offaly, longford and westmeath are beign renamed county arseholeofnowhere so tourists cant say that they werent warned
    In fairness, that's what most people who come from there call them anyway ... :D
    clicli wrote: »
    Do you think that they ran out of names for counties after awhile? Cavan and Navan???
    Co. Navan?! :eek:

Reminds me of story told by a friend of mine who worked one summer in the Tourist office in Dublin, and overheard the following one day from the next counter position:

American tourist: "Hi, I wanted to visit Clonmacnoise, but I was just looking at the map there, and I can't actually find it. What county is it in?"

Tourist office staffer (Dub!) : "Clonmacnoise? (pause) Oh, yes ... that would be Co. Athlone."
    Slow coach wrote: »
    Check it out the next time there is a big GAA match on involving Dublin.

"Who're ya up fer?"

"Ah, not Dublin, anyway."
    Lol ... you're not wrong! :D
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    i vote to get rid of the counties in the republic that flew the union jack over their public buildings before 1922 :p
    Ah, right. So all of them, then. :rolleyes:
    Nightwish wrote: »
    I'm going out with a ginger from Leitrim ...
    Ooooh ... doubly unlucky! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There should be three. Dublin, Bogland and Galway.

There should be three. Dublin, Bogland and Galway.

ewww galway mehh thats all stone walls and sheep god laois is actually better than that:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

aliqueenb wrote: »
    ewww galway mehh thats all stone walls and sheep god laois is actually better than that:p

Laois is only slightly better than downtown Baghdad, retract that statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

offaly, longford and westmeath are beign renamed county arseholeofnowhere so tourists cant say that they werent warned
    In fairness, that's what most people who come from there call them anyway ... :D
    Check the location
    <--
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Have any counties survived the mass cull.?:D

Collie D wrote: »
    Laois is only slightly better than downtown Baghdad, retract that statement

ok lol i admit it, laois is quite crappy but atleast i live near to kilkenny which is slightly better and atleast portlaoise to dublin train route is a really good one!...came home from dublin after my work experience there in like 56 minutes, then 30 in car to get home, not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

6th wrote: »
    Now Kildare should get split up a bit. I mean Leixlip and Lucan are practically Tallaght so lets stick them in Dublin and unblur that annoying line, you can fight over the right of it cos they all sound like travellers the further west you go in Kildare.
    Stick Tallaght up your arse.
    You're not getting Leixlip.
    Banned.
    Also, Kildare clearly isn't a proper county. The northeast is essentially part of South Dublin, whilst the rest is mucksavageland. We should secede a la Kosovo
    Not a chance.
    Banned.

I tell ya what how about we sell ya places Leixlip, Lucan and Celebridge. They're only Dublin wannabes the lot of em' anyways ;)
    You can have Celbridge.
    Banned.

meath and kildare are now suburbs of dublin so no change there.
    Banned.

Bazuki wrote: »
    Banned.

Any other Dubs want to take on Leixlip?
    Bring it on, bitches.

If you think O'Connell street is bad at the weekends, you've obviously never set foot in Leixlip at the weekend.
    We eat our young.

Galway city and Cork city should be merged into one, so that they no longer suffer from small man syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Great thread. I agree with everything except the Wicklow comment. Wicklow is a lovely county.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

galwayrush wrote: »
    Have any counties survived the mass cull.?:D

I see Clare has gone unnoticed so far. personally I could live without it. Although it would make the journey from Limerick to Galway a bit more difficult

Would anyone miss it, if it was set adrift into the Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm trying to find a flaw in your argument but can't. Cut her adrift. Is it just me or is the Burren the most over-rated tourist attraction in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ya, lots of rock and stone. you've seen one rock, you've seen them all. why hasn't it worn away with all the acid rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes. About 31 too many. We could lose Longford - Maybe have a lake their, or something. Or one of the border counties - make the smuggling a little bit easier.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see Clare has gone unnoticed so far. personally I could live without it. Although it would make the journey from Limerick to Galway a bit more difficult

Would anyone miss it, if it was set adrift into the Atlantic?

i'd leave clare alone for now, decent hurlers, nice boozers, good trad music. Laois has also snuck by unnoticed so far but only because there's f***k all worth noticing about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement