Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many unnecessary counties in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dsmythy wrote: »
    I blame the parents. I mean the English settlers who made them.

most counties borders are based on rivers and mountains and were around long before the english

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why not make it just 2 counties - Dublin and Rest. Tis the way it is to any dub anyway..

Seriously, tis all one country, if you're from blackrock or salthill, ringsend or some backroad in the middle of Westmeath - we're all Irish. Sometimes people forget that :p Does it really matter at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Dublin, it's not really a county. As I've said I feel it should be under the heading of "Doom Fortress".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I always thought Roscommon was a place of myth, has anyone met anyone from there, I mean do people actually live there?

I used to think this as well, but I was slightly disappointed when I started working with a few of them.

Leitrim HAS to be made up though. I'm clinging to that hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Collie D wrote: »
    Never seen a car with a Leitrim reg.

OMG neither have I! I can picture a car reg from every other county except it.

Is it LM or LT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

misslt wrote: »
    OMG neither have I! I can picture a car reg from every other county except it.

Is it LM or LT?

I think it's L

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It's neither, it doesn't exist I tell you. I amwaiting to be proved wrong. Any halfway attractive woman in her 20s on Boards may book us into an expensive five star hotel in Leitrim to verify

I think it's L

Then whats Limerick?
    It's neither, it doesn't exist I tell you. I amwaiting to be proved wrong. Any halfway attractive woman in her 20s on Boards may book us into an expensive five star hotel in Leitrim to verify

Nah you're right...it doesn't exist :p

Then whats Limerick?

That's way too easy...I'll bite my tongue

That's way too easy...I'll bite my tongue

No, tell me, I've never been to Limerick!

• Advertisement

No, tell me, I've never been to Limerick!

I meant it was too easy to make a joke out of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I always thought the same about Leitrim.

I'vve never met anyone from there, never seen a football or hurling team of theirs. Never seen a car with a Leitrim reg. I think Leitrim is where the government do all their secret testing a lá Area 51

they put a LM registration on their horses and tractors and such and such in leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I think it's L

L is Limerick City
    LK is Limerick County
    LM is Leitrim

I meant it was too easy to make a joke out of

Ah okay. I'm not normally this stupid, I promise :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Worst thing about dam treaty is that we didn't insist on the bowler tops having to absorb the remaing 3 ulster counties. Donegal,cavan and something called monaghan(not fully sure of its status). Anyway they're all batey,peculiar and ulster. Could we fob them off to the 'Otherside'under the guise of peace and reconcilliation. Lighten the load a little. And any county in connaught just simply becomes 'connaught'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Wicklow: South Wicklow people have wexford accents, north Wicklow people have dublin accents. No real identity of their own. No all irelands ever and really just a gateway from rosslare to Dublin.

Recommendation: split equally between wexford and dublin.

Boo. :mad: Wicklow is the best county bar none. No All Irelands, pfft, take a look at this. http://www.hoganstand.com/Wicklow/Profile.aspx They all count. :p

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    L is Limerick City
    LK is Limerick County
    LM is Leitrim
    Give over will ya. Limerik has a plate for city and county? eh...no. Try longford.

humberklog wrote: »
    Give over will ya. Limerik has a plate for city and county? eh...no. Try longford.

No, I think shes right...is Longford not LD? I know one county has two plates..

humberklog wrote: »
    Try longford.

No thanks...I'm put off by a place whose finest late night establishment is called Slashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

People from Leitrim are over joyed at the thoughts of joining up with Roscommon :D

• Advertisement

Hmmm....yeah see how that read now. Still slashers is marginally better than cadillacs. Still must correct...don't bothr with longford unless confused by car reg plates leaving rds after a shania twain/garth brooks/christy moore gig.

gucci wrote: »
    People from Leitrim are over joyed at the thoughts of joining up with Roscommon :D

That's obvioulsy a true statement because I don't believe for one second they are cheering on a team of any variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

54 posts.... jesus wept :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blueross67

Absolutely agree.
    Take me as an example. Cork man with a Dublin accent, hint of Donegal slang, living in Roscommon. How F**ked up am I

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

rb_ie wrote: »
    Changing Cork to East Kerry is a brilliant idea :D

As a Kerryman...I agree (partially). For one thing, the Kerry football team would be invincible with the onset of the Anschluss. The rest of the country would be under our jackboot of darkness for ever and ever and ever and ever!...ehem, ok, I'll calm myself.

And Kerry would have a hurling team!

Obviously, we would need a Truth and Reconciliation process to ease the Anschluss, and teachers would need to be dispatched from the wilds of South Kerry to areas in urgent need of accent neutralisation so as alter the range of Cork accents down to a standard East Kerry patois.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I know one county has two plates..

Tipperary - Tip North (TN) and Tipp South (TS)
    blueross67 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree.
    Take me as an example. Cork man with a Dublin accent, hint of Donegal slang, living in Roscommon. How F**ked up am I

Luckily you have that bit of Dub in you to keep you that little bit sane. If it wasn't for that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blueross67

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tipperary - Tip North (TN) and Tipp South (TS)

Luckily you have that bit of Dub in you

I never had any Dub inside me........ Who told you that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I think if we're having this shake-up we might as well bring back the Pale. That way the parts of other counties that have just become Dublin suburbs can be all joined up!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

blueross67 wrote: »

I never had any Dub inside me........ Who told you that

So it's just the accent? Damn wannabes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

I think it's L

Leitrim is LM! No, its not a fantasy county we do have football teams and hurling teams although hurling isnt quite as popular as football

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement