Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many unnecessary counties in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking today, there are far too many non descript counties in Ireland. Something must be done:

Wicklow: South Wicklow people have wexford accents, north Wicklow people have dublin accents. No real identity of their own. No all irelands ever and really just a gateway from rosslare to Dublin.

Recommendation: split equally between wexford and dublin.

Louth: Is this place even big enough to be classified as a county? Of little use apart from facilitating road routes from Dublin to Belfast and sheltering terrorists on the run.

Recommendation: Wipe from the map, no one will even notice it's gone.

Sligo/Leitrim/Roscommon: Very boring counties

Recommendation: Probably too big a land mass to give to galway of some other decent county so amalgamate into one 'super' county and hope that something actually happens there.

Westmeath: Come on, 'West' Meath. Possibly the most made up county ever.

Recommendation: Amalgamate with Meath, pretty simple really.

Cork: I really hate the whole 'People's Republic' thing.

Recomendation: Rename 'East Kerry', that'll teach em.

Are there too many crappy counties? 115 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    54% 63 votes
    I blame Michael Collins for signing that damned treaty
    27% 32 votes
    what?
    17% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Fanny **** wrote: »

I was just about to make a constructive comment until I read this.

Get outta here ya troll!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Wicklow is the garden county. All=Irelands aren't the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If we are amalgamating counties does that mean we have room for a few more? May I suggest that Fingal be made an actual county and let them f*ck off out of Dublin. This could go for South Dublin and Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown - pure snobbery. Although we get to choose the cream of their football and hurling teams first - not that there are many in Fingal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bootsy11

Recommendation: Probably too big a land mass to give to galway of some other decent county so amalgamate into one 'super' county and hope that something actually happens there.

Sleitcommon??

sounds good to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I lolled at this :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Changing Cork to East Kerry is a brilliant idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Was just thinking today, there are far too many non descript counties in Ireland. Something must be done.
    Oi, leave Wicklow alone :mad:

Actually, what about the (awful) Wicklow Town accent. We should set the town adrift to the sea. Leave the rest of the county alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Regarding the above poll I blame DeValera for that damned treaty.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Regarding the above poll I blame DeValera for that damned treaty.

Away with you, Free State Bastard!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What are you talking about? Sure didn't one of the O'Reilly's sheep die their last month. The whole of county Sligo turned out for the funeral (yes, all 15 of us).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sligo isnt THAT bed. we need to sort out laois tho. maybe turn it into our own "Mini-Oz" and just feck all our cons into the county. Maybe build a big wall around it first obviously. With a Moat.

Than ya've Longford. Its a bit of a non-entity too. Although, I'm all for sticking something in Longford lie ka sports stadium that'll make it have a point for existence!

Or maybe we should just amalgamate the whole midlands into a sorta "Massif Central" type thingy. Either way, im interested to hear the inevitable novel ideas the boggers come up with for dublin.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carlow - why?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Infact counties have already been done away with in many cases. They were originally a British thing but the GAA has popularised them and bred manys a hatred between counties. For administrative purposes we already have splits. North and South Tipp, Fingal, Dunlaoirghe, Galway and Cork city councils etc.

Most of the counties in the North have even less impact on the lives with the administrative councils further away from the actual counties. Not even elections are done on them.

Ps. if you're going to get rid of any county it has to be Carlow. It's only still there cos everyone forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

The_B_Man wrote: »

Than ya've Longford. Its a bit of a non-entity too. Although, I'm all for sticking something in Longford lie ka sports stadium that'll make it have a point for existence!
    I assume you mean a sports stadium in longford........why would you do that? You would need to bus/ship in people to play the sports!! Their soccer team is mostly people from dublin (although thats changed a bit this year now that the money is running out!)
    Longford should be commmended for having one of the worst main streets in the country...........absolutely nothing happening there at all!!

kevmy wrote: »
    Ps. if you're going to get rid of any county it has to be Carlow. It's only still there cos everyone forgot about it.

Ah it's not that bad. Helps you know that you're on the right way to Kilkenny from Dublin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thank you Collie!:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

eh, carlow is deadly!! best RAG Week in the country bar none! It also helps us lower IQ'd ppl get degrees n such!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

eh, carlow is deadly!!

So is ebola, swimming with great white sharks and bungee jumping with no chord :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

mike65 wrote: »
    Carlow - why?

Mike.

Ah lad, Carlows quare savage!:D! Apparently we'r the fastest growing county in ireland:rolleyes:

topnutz wrote: »
    Apparently we'r the fastest growing county in ireland:rolleyes:

Fat bastards

• Advertisement

...tho i hate when carlow people say "quare" and/or "savage". If we decide to keep carlow, we'll need to do some work on it, ie local slang and the accent....

Collie D wrote: »
    Fat bastards

SShhh, we'r just big boned:p

...tho i hate when carlow people say "quare" and/or "savage". If we decide to keep carlow, we'll need to do some work on it, ie local slang and the accent....

QFT! I actively try not to use Carlow slang, except in a tongue in cheek manner on Boards of course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I blame the parents. I mean the English settlers who made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Honestly, this is really wierd

I always think this about Wicklow people. They're either out and out Dub or Wexheads. And going though Wicklow it does seem like one big Bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Was just thinking today, there are far too many non descript counties in Ireland. Something must be done:

Wicklow: South Wicklow people have wexford accents, north Wicklow people have dublin accents. No real identity of their own. No all irelands ever and really just a gateway from rosslare to Dublin.

Recommendation: split equally between wexford and dublin.

Louth: Is this place even big enough to be classified as a county? Of little use apart from facilitating road routes from Dublin to Belfast and sheltering terrorists on the run.

Recommendation: Wipe from the map, no one will even notice it's gone.

Recommendation: Amalgamate with Meath, pretty simple really.

This is possible my favourite OP of all time!

A few points though:

I like Wicklow, its beautiful.

Roscommon is the UFO capital of Ireland.

Sligo .... eh .... Áine Chambers?

Carlow is the San Francisco of Ireland.

Now Kildare should get split up a bit. I mean Leixlip and Lucan are practically Tallaght so lets stick them in Dublin and unblur that annoying line, you can fight over the right of it cos they all sound like travellers the further west you go in Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I always thought Roscommon was a place of myth, has anyone met anyone from there, I mean do people actually live there?

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I always thought Roscommon was a place of myth, has anyone met anyone from there, I mean do people actually live there?

I always thought the same about Leitrim.

I'vve never met anyone from there, never seen a football or hurling team of theirs. Never seen a car with a Leitrim reg. I think Leitrim is where the government do all their secret testing a lá Area 51

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

sligo isnt THAT bed. we need to sort out laois tho. maybe turn it into our own "Mini-Oz" and just feck all our cons into the county. Maybe build a big wall around it first obviously. With a Moat.
    Hee hee I'm a Laois person and I have to say that I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think Carlow and Roscommon should be done away with. We don't really need them. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement