Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many unnecessary counties in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

geminilady wrote: »
    Leitrim is LM! No, its not a fantasy county we do have football teams and hurling teams although hurling isnt quite as popular as football

And it has leprechauns and pots of gold at the end of rainbows....

You're not fooling anyone missy. There's no such thing as Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I always thought Roscommon was a place of myth, has anyone met anyone from there, I mean do people actually live there?

<
    yep, see where I live. Limerick born and bred, but Roscommon is the current home.

humberklog wrote: »
    Give over will ya. Limerik has a plate for city and county? eh...no. Try longford.

yep, 2 plates, we're special

Leitrim is LM! No, its not a fantasy county we do have football teams and hurling teams although hurling isnt quite as popular as football

.... and a nightclub called The Swingin' Donkey in Carrick on Shannon.

whoever came up with that name should be taken out and shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

This is what wikipedia says about Leitrim
    Today the county has the lowest population and the lowest population density in the Republic and is the smallest county by area in the province of Connacht. Leitrim has the second highest suicide rate by county over the past five years, and the highest in 2005. It also has the highest amount of elderly people per capita of any Irish county, with 7.6% over the age of 75.

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

gucci wrote: »
    People from Leitrim are over joyed at the thoughts of joining up with Roscommon :D

Leitrim men know not the meaning of 'joy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Also, Kildare clearly isn't a proper county. The northeast is essentially part of South Dublin, whilst the rest is mucksavageland. We should secede a la Kosovo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ferdi wrote: »
    lol.

Please tell us what's so funny?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What are you talking about? Sure didn't one of the O'Reilly's sheep die their last month. The whole of county Sligo turned out for the funeral (yes, all 15 of us).
    All her old boyfriends, then?

I was going to start on the Cork / East Kerry thing, but Jer nailed it! :D

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Was just thinking today, there are far too many non descript counties in Ireland. Something must be done:

Wicklow: South Wicklow people have wexford accents, north Wicklow people have dublin accents. No real identity of their own. No all irelands ever and really just a gateway from rosslare to Dublin.

Recommendation: split equally between wexford and dublin.

Louth: Is this place even big enough to be classified as a county? Of little use apart from facilitating road routes from Dublin to Belfast and sheltering terrorists on the run.

Recommendation: Wipe from the map, no one will even notice it's gone.

Sligo/Leitrim/Roscommon: Very boring counties

Recommendation: Probably too big a land mass to give to galway of some other decent county so amalgamate into one 'super' county and hope that something actually happens there.

Westmeath: Come on, 'West' Meath. Possibly the most made up county ever.

Recommendation: Amalgamate with Meath, pretty simple really.

Cork: I really hate the whole 'People's Republic' thing.

Recomendation: Rename 'East Kerry', that'll teach em.

I cant believe you forgot Offaly! sorry if someone already said it but im not going thru pages to find out:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

.... and a nightclub called The Swingin' Donkey in Carrick on Shannon.

whoever came up with that name should be taken out and shot.

yep, the name suits exactly the type of slack jawed, back slapping, pints of special or vodka and red bull drinking farmers who populate the place after a long hard day spreading slurry or hustling sheep.

I would also like to nominate the county of Mayo for disbanding........nothing going on there either, all its doing is sheltering the middle of ireland from the atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Prove it

Collie D wrote: »
    I amwaiting to be proved wrong. Any halfway attractive woman in her 20s on Boards may book us into an expensive five star hotel in Leitrim to verify

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Obviously, we would need a Truth and Reconciliation process to ease the Anschluss, and teachers would need to be dispatched from the wilds of South Kerry to areas in urgent need of accent neutralisation so as alter the range of Cork accents down to a standard East Kerry patois.

...and all the Kerry people living in Cork could go home after the unification....sweet for both sides...a bit of give and take....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Dublin, then upper, middle, and lower bogtown.

Job done.

Or how about Skangerville/Yuppietown and upper,middle and lower bogtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Wicklow: South Wicklow people have wexford accents, north Wicklow people have dublin accents. No real identity of their own. No all irelands ever and really just a gateway from rosslare to Dublin.

Recommendation: split equally between wexford and dublin.

Brillant! Although if we do that then all the Dubs will start moving to Wexford and end up with a similar problem

Louth: Is this place even big enough to be classified as a county? Of little use apart from facilitating road routes from Dublin to Belfast and sheltering terrorists on the run.

Recommendation: Wipe from the map, no one will even notice it's gone.

Can’t find much fault with this expect if we do wipe it from the map the sheltered terrorist might notice and therefore hold a grudge against us and nobody likes a terrorist who holds a grudge :D

Recommendation: Probably too big a land mass to give to galway of some other decent county so amalgamate into one 'super' county and hope that something actually happens there.

Can't find any fault with this idea. Maybe "CommonSliTrim???

Westmeath: Come on, 'West' Meath. Possibly the most made up county ever.

Recommendation: Amalgamate with Meath, pretty simple really.

Still laughing at this so unable to give my two cents!!! :D:):D

Cork: I really hate the whole 'People's Republic' thing.

Recomendation: Rename 'East Kerry', that'll teach em.

Now thats a step too far! I have a bit of Cork blood in me so I love the whole "People's Republic" thing.I can see where your coming from but to rename it "East Kerry"!?! If you have to do anything with it don't give it to the Kerryman.... They'll only fcuk it up!!! :mad:

6th wrote: »
    Now Kildare should get split up a bit. I mean Leixlip and Lucan are practically Tallaght so lets stick them in Dublin and unblur that annoying line, you can fight over the right of it cos they all sound like travellers the further west you go in Kildare.

I tell ya what how about we sell ya places Leixlip, Lucan and Celebridge. They're only Dublin wannabes the lot of em' anyways ;)

pd101 wrote: »
    Boo. :mad: Wicklow is the best county bar none.

Come on who really thinks this???? ;)

pd101 wrote: »
    No All Irelands, pfft, take a look at this. http://www.hoganstand.com/Wicklow/Profile.aspx They all count. :p

You know who says that.... Counties that really havn't won anything important like oh I dunno an ALL IRELAND!!! :D;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Aww come on, Roscommon isn't THAT bad, afterall IM HERE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

You know who says that.... Counties that really havn't won anything

Yeah we'll see come May 18th who hasn't won anything;)

Anyway if any county should be disbanded it should be Kildare. Full of Dubs, bogmen and Wicklow wannabes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ireland is just a suburb of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

okay I've come up with a plan: there was some resisitance from the cabinet but bertie is up for for a laugh seems as how hes on his way out in annyways

leitrim roscommon and monaghan are being coopted into a new county leicomaghan, as no one knows the difference between them anyway, cavan stays seperate for its comedic value, as does an loo

offaly, longford and westmeath are beign renamed county arseholeofnowhere so tourists cant say that they werent warned

waterford and wexford are now wexerford as I always mix them up.

there will be no further changes to munster in light of their contributions to de GAA and shooting dem durty tan bastards back in '21. However, cork and kerry will swap names every second year, this should force mass migrations between both counties, no doubt high jinks will ensue which will amuse the rest of the country no end

meath and kildare are now suburbs of dublin so no change there.

the north is now offically recognised as de nort. no need for counties there.

Mayo is given the official title of "not galway"

Wicklow is now a nature reserve where scientists can try to figure out how an area so close to civilisation can still be inhabited by parochial inbred hill billies.

Carlow has been abolished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

misslt wrote: »
    No, I think shes right...is Longford not LD? I know one county has two plates..

She be a he ... and he, me, got the info from

http://www.irelandinformationguide.com/Irish_Vehicle_Registration_Plates

:)

And Limerick is renamed New-Johannesburg so international visitors know to wear a flak jackt if they are going through the town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Was just thinking today, there are far too many non descript counties in Ireland. Something must be done:

Wicklow: South Wicklow people have wexford accents, north Wicklow people have dublin accents. No real identity of their own. No all irelands ever and really just a gateway from rosslare to Dublin

You better be watching yourself, we be as oirish as they come.
    So what if a few steep Mountains divide myself and my Dunlavian brothers, when the **** goes down, you better believe its going down in Wicklow son, we be well viscious !:cool:

Evidence:

http://www.hoganstand.com/general/identity/extras/clans/stories/wicklow.htm

Also, Its a well known fact that a huge 79% of Irish inbreds are located in Laois.
    Destroy Laois !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Do you think that they ran out of names for counties after awhile? Cavan and Navan???

clicli wrote: »
    Do you think that they ran out of names for counties after awhile? Cavan and Navan???

Where is the co. Navan?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Luckily you have that bit of Dub in you

Which bit?

My vote goes to Roscommon and Leitrim. They're just taking up room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dublin, the skanger parts.

That'll be all of it then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

get rid of Leitrim and Louth.they're the only unnecessary ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

clicli wrote: »

Lol! You mean like County Laois and County Portlaois?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Get rid of Kerry, please. I just cannot understand my uncle at all.

But before you do move the Kerry Gold factory to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

All empty counties should be used for land fill and nuclear missile test sites, and yes that includes wexford :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

What about County Derry, and County LondonDerry - 1 county masquerading as 2. Double the paperwork - obvious room for cutbacks here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement