Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freemasons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

So is Enda Kenny a Freemason? :D
    Also thanks for the replies to my questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Torakx wrote: »
    So is Enda Kenny a Freemason? :D
    Also thanks for the replies to my questions.

probably not who knows

but what Im trying to decide is the information reliable like robroy saying x is not a freemason because hes not in any lodge he frequents/or is a member of
    Is there a possibility someone could be a freemason outside of his local lodge

Would/could a freemason keep his membership secret from other freemasons except those he choose to reveal it to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

A money making group.
    enno99 wrote: »
    would this require any form of dispensation from your local lodge

Would what require a dispensation?

A money making group.
    Would/could a freemason keep his membership secret from other freemasons except those he choose to reveal it to
    Well, if a Mason only ever was a member of one Lodge, then only the members of his Lodge know he's a Freemason, and the Masons who visit his Lodge, and the members of the Provincial/Grand Lodge who approve each of his degrees. And anyone additionally involved if there was a special process involved in his joining, as I previously posted. The members of all the Lodges in his province would have reason to think he's a Freemason, as his name would have been read out in every Lodge when he was in the process of joining. The people who meet him walking in and out of his Masonic Hall would also have some reason to believe he might be a Mason. He doesn't have to tell anyone he's a Mason, though.

Absolam wrote: »
    I don't have a copy of the rules to hand, so I can't say if there's a specified time period, but personally I would want someone to have been resident for at least a year before considering them. So potentially, a second year student maybe, bearing in mind the minimum age requirement is 21, with a lower age limit for the sons of members (not something I've ever dealt with so I don't know the age limit for that).

What you said here

would this require the dispensation you talked of earlier ?

• Advertisement

A money making group.
    Specifying a time period, or having a lower age limit for a Masons son?

Joining is not the same as being. A candidate has to join a Lodge where he resides, which is called his 'Mother Lodge'. A Master Mason can affiliate to other Lodges as well if he chooses, but his Mother Lodge remains. If someone, like Enda Kenny, lives in one place but has substantial work commitmements in another location, they might be allowed to join a Lodge in that location, by dispensation from the residential jurisdiction. So if Enda Kenny joined a Lodge, it would have to be either the one in Mayo, or approved by the one in Mayo. Either way, as a member of the Mayo Lodge, RobRoy would know about it.

Does this apply to my question about the university in Dublin and residing in Dublin

Jesus wept how do you manage to memorize ancient rituals
    and cant cant keep track of a conversation with about half a dozen posts in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

On the topic of apendant bodies.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/18tj7s/reddit_user_lejefferson_uses_mad_detective_skills/

Does this count do you think between skull and bones and the friars?
    Or what do the Freemasons here think on this CT.
    Its taken from the thread recently started about a Hotel room in ZAZA hotel in Texas.

A money making group.
    Does this apply to my question about the university in Dublin and residing in Dublin

Yes, which is why I referred to a second year student in my reply.

• Advertisement

A money making group.
    Jesus wept how do you manage to memorize ancient rituals
    and cant cant keep track of a conversation with about half a dozen posts in it

Try making your question specific rather than generally referring to a post with more than one point in it.

A money making group.
    Torakx wrote: »
    On the topic of apendant bodies.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/18tj7s/reddit_user_lejefferson_uses_mad_detective_skills/

Does this count do you think between skull and bones and the friars?
    Or what do the Freemasons here think on this CT.
    Its taken from the thread recently started about a Hotel room in ZAZA hotel in Texas.

Gosh that's a hard link to read! The Skull & Bones and Friars are both American College Fraternities, so nothing to do with the Freemasons. I'm afraid I don't know anything about Fraternity organisational structures!

I don't have a copy of the rules to hand, so I can't say if there's a specified time period, but personally I would want someone to have been resident for at least a year before considering them. So potentially, a second year student maybe, bearing in mind the minimum age requirement is 21, with a lower age limit for the sons of members (not something I've ever dealt with so I don't know the age limit for that).

would this require any form of dispensation from your local lodge ?

lets look at this more closely
    The red highlighted parts you clearly cant answer
    the blue part is irrelevant

what part did you think I was referring to

A money making group.
    So you've highlighted a part in black, which you think is relevant (to your question?), and a part in blue, which you think is not. Rather than me second guessing what you think is or isn't relevant in order to formulate a reply to a vague question, you could just ask a specific question. Easier all round.

It appears your question is "If someone was resident in an area for at least a year and thereby satisfied your personal requirement for consideration, would a dispensation be required from the Lodge in the area where they had previously been resident?"

If that is your question, then the answer is partially in the section you marked as I clearly can't answer; "I don't have a copy of the rules to hand, so I can't say if there's a specified time period". If there is a specified time period that is less than a year, then a dispensation is not required but may be sought as a courtesy. If there is a specified time period of a year or more, then a dispensation would be required. If there is no specified time period then it is for the judgement of the scrutineers if the candidate has been resident for a sufficient period of time to satisfy them that a dispensation is not required, even if they still choose to ask for one out of courtesy.

Me
    Ok kinda grasping what you are saying there

So if I lived in cork for most of my life then moved to dublin after a few years I wanted to join the freemasons I would need a reference from the lodge in cork (part 1)

would this also be the case if I had moved to England or elsewhere (part2)

you
    No if you were resident in Dublin permission from Cork would not be needed, as long as the scrutineers were satisfied that you were resident for sufficiently long, and ]intended to stay They might still seek permission though, as a matter of courtesy. England operates under the Grand Lodge of England, which is separate to the Grand Lodge of Ireland; they would still satisfy themselves that you were resident for sufficiently long, and intended to stay, but would not so much seek permission from your home jurisdiction,as courteously extend notification of their intent to initiate you, understanding that certain replies from your home jurisdiction might coincide with them changing their mind about your initiation

the bold part is the answer to part 1
    the red is the answer to part 2 and dealt with by the fact its not mentioned again in the next post

Me re part 1 again
    So what is the sufficient length of time you would need to be a resident
    could you join while in university in Dublin stating that when you leave you will be taking up residence in Dublin

you

me
    would this require any form of dispensation from your local lodge

seems straight forward to me

A money making group.
    And yet after five posts of trying you still haven't managed to ask your question in a direct fashion.... five posts to ask a question doesn't seem at all straightforward.

And yet after five posts of trying you still haven't managed to ask your question in a direct fashion.... five posts to ask a question doesn't seem at all straightforward.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

OK. The pertaining to Enda Kenny is that no, Kenny nor any of his family are Freemasons. I am in the lodge in Mayo which would be his local (mother) lodge and he is not a member, nor is he an affiliated to any lodge in Dublin. Besides that I know Enda Kenny very well considering that we are both from the same area. The same as Michael Ring., in this part of Mayo, everyone knows each other.

The rules regarding joining is that it should be at one's local/most nearest lodge. This is to facilitate the understanding that the candidate is in good standing with his neighbours.

In regards to the Skull and Crossbones - we already covered this before. The Fraternity and Sorority organisations in the US are only based at Universities and Colleges, and none are Masonic at all. I was in Phi Kappa Delta in California and only stayed in for a year - it was an academic Fraternity but really it did nothing academically. Most require substantial financial contributions, have parties and form up at certain parts of the stadium for home-coming games. The only part that people link Fraternities to Freemasonry is the initiation - and even that is tenuous to link together.Fraternities involve heavy drinking and hazing (which has been made illegal in many States). This Hazing is very similar to the Hazing of army recruits in the US, and is considered torture and bullying. Freemasonry does nothing of the sort in initiations, and one would never imagine a bunch of old blokes running around town drunk and going into a sauna in track suits and doing push ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

The puppet masters.
    if we all joined and went on the square[masons]there would be no one left out there to screw,and that would be the end of the freemasons.

A money making group.
    I suspect you'd still find someone to believe is screwing you, you'd just have to change the name :D

• Advertisement

Masons don't use screws...that would be carpentry. And, besides, fellas who are unworthy, untrustworthy, and dishonest won't get in - so that leaves plenty of undesirables on the outside to screw you Getz - and with adequate room for paranoia to get you to blame other people who have nothing to do with screwing you in the first place.

Life is always easier when one can blame others for one's mistakes and misfortune, especially when they have nothing to do with such mistakes and misfortune.

The puppet masters.
    two of you,is that what you call a masonic gangbang ?

A money making group.
    Excellent post, really sets out your commitment to informed discussion :D

The puppet masters.
    Excellent post, really sets out your commitment to informed discussion :D
    if you wish for facts,seanad 28th nov 1956 .pref stan ford quote,one of the things that is doing most damage to our nation at the moment is the existance of these conflicting secret societies.and i hope the minister and other ministers will do all in their power to prevent their gaining any control of the economy or politics of the country.dial dr noel brown 16th july 1969 quote,in regard to the whole business off appointments to universities,i do not think there is much to choose between the two of them-the knights of clombanus[univerity college] and the freemasons [trinity college] the two of them going together sharing out the different jobs.

A money making group.
    Sorry, nope. Too late to bluff. You already put all your cards on the table. Tough luck.

Getz - the only secret societies that are a threat to the nation, the economy and politics are the likes of the IRA (real, supposed, continuity etc.,) gangs, Unionist terrorists etc., and then you have the likes of the Golden Circle - however you would rather prefer to attack those people who have absolutely nothing to do with whatever paranoid situation you are in - you might as well as attack the Irish Country Women's Association. However, Freemasonry has absolutely nothing to do with financial problems of this country or any other country. But, if you comfort in that you would rather blame someone else for whatever predicament you are in then that is entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

A group to make contacts.
    robroy1234 wrote: »
    Getz - the only secret societies that are a threat to the nation, the economy and politics are the likes of the IRA (real, supposed, continuity etc.,) gangs, Unionist terrorists etc., and then you have the likes of the Golden Circle - however you would rather prefer to attack those people who have absolutely nothing to do with whatever paranoid situation you are in - you might as well as attack the Irish Country Women's Association. However, Freemasonry has absolutely nothing to do with financial problems of this country or any other country. But, if you comfort in that you would rather blame someone else for whatever predicament you are in then that is entirely up to you.

:rolleyes:

You'd honestly have to look at these posts and see that these two freemasons are trying to cover up everything they see that threatens them, and these two freemasons genuinely believe everyone on here is naive and can't see reality for themselves.

There is so much dysfunctional behaviour coming forward on this thread that it has led me to the point of taking more of the sidelines now. This thread has become utterly ridiculous.

Well Aquarius - irony is when you talk about things being utterly ridiculous - you can spend countless amount of time, effort and energy blaming and pointing the finger of blame on all sorts of other people, the Jews, the Brits, the Freemasons, the ICA, or whomever you wish to attack., but you are still culpable for your financial, and social status. So it is not our fault that you are a loner - you choose to be paranoid, you choose to be miserable.. I am perfectly happy to enjoy my membership of Freemasonry and don't give a flying fig whether you disagree with it or not.

Go and have a pint and enjoy life.....if not have some Poitín...

• Advertisement

I think it's really creepy how some people can see the Square and Compasses as a sexual image... It's got to take a lot of really wanting to see it that way. Says more about the weirdness of the person who sees sexuality in a couple of pieces of metal than anything else, in my opinion....

here from a brother mason ( sorry about the size )

SC_Widow.JPG

WP_11.JPG

WP_12.JPG

Advertisement