Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM & Jervis Centre haunted?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Can you tell us some of what your friends dad has experienced while working there?

Sure, i will ask him and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It would be interesting to see the plans of the old hospital, and figure out what was in that area. I wonder is there any way of getting a hold of something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

runway16 wrote: »
    Pretty amazed to see this thread!

I have never liked the Jervis centre, and anytime I am in there, i've always wanted to get out as quickly as possible. It's just one of those places where I get a bad feeling, especially on the first floor. The area at the top of the first escalator, where you meet the walkway from the Luas stop on abbey street always gives me the creeps....

I would agree with you. I thought the same thing about the place for years but not once (surprisingly enough) did I ever associate it with something paranormal. I always just thought it was because of the way the place was built and designed. I also wasn't aware it had been a hospital or had a wing featuring an asylum. Didn't have a clue until recently.

Anyway, I've always had a very 'heavy', constricted feeling inside the place, from the whole first floor (as you said yourself) over to the jacks area down the corridor. Same thing inside in Boots and Waterstones as well. Basically, as soon as you get up to the first level of the centre after going on the escalator, it hits you, albeit in a subtle, gradual way.

The longer I have to spend time inside in that place, the more jaded I am by the time I go outside again. It's a different story with the likes of Stephen's Green and other centres I've been to though.

Someone mentioned the nearby Marks&Spencer on this thread as well and I've found that place has a similar atmosphere, although it's 'darker'.

Make of it what you will, but those are just my own thoughts on the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

I would agree with you. I thought the same thing about the place for years but not once (surprisingly enough) did I ever associate it with something paranormal. I always just thought it was because of the way the place was built and designed. I also wasn't aware it had been a hospital or had a wing featuring an asylum. Didn't have a clue until recently.

Anyway, I've always had a very 'heavy', constricted feeling inside the place, from the whole first floor (as you said yourself) over to the jacks area down the corridor. Same thing inside in Boots and Waterstones as well. Basically, as soon as you get up to the first level of the centre after going on the escalator, it hits you, albeit in a subtle, gradual way.

The longer I have to spend time inside in that place, the more jaded I am by the time I go outside again. It's a different story with the likes of Stephen's Green and other centres I've been to though.

Someone mentioned the nearby Marks&Spencer on this thread as well and I've found that place has a similar atmosphere, although it's 'darker'.

This just about exactly sums up my feelings on the place as well - I'd add that the upper floor of Waterstones also has a strangely unwelcoming feel, usually I can spend hours browsing bookshops but in there I just feel heavy and uncomfortable and want to get out into fresh air asap.

As an architect I'm well aware of the psychological effects of poorly designed buildings which the Jervis Centre is a prime example of - almost zero natural light and the convoluted circulation being it's worst failings. However I'm also a believer that places can have certain energies imbued by past uses that can either be counteracted or amplified by the current use. That particular area of the centre I always find to be filled with stress, people moving in all directions and getting in each others way due to the badly designed escalators. Maybe its possible that this current negative energy somehow amplifies any that is already within the structure.

All a bit mumbo - jumbo I know but I can think of many different buildings, often built on the site of or into the shell of buildings like hospitals or churches that have similar feels. The best example I can think of is an art gallery and cinema in Dundee where I used to be a student. I worked there as an usher and caretaker and the number of strange noises, fleeting visions in darkened cinemas, inexplicable events like projectors turning on by themselves or equipment breaking was ridiculous. The lift had a nasty habit of freefalling between floors no matter how many times it would be repaired or serviced. There was a warren of escape corridors that had to be checked every evening before closing, an experience that used to reduce people to quivering wrecks, including myself on occasion - just a sense of rising panic the further from "safety" you got.

The weirdest and most unnerving thing was people, including myself, hearing loud wheezing, breathing noises in the basement corridors that rationally we thought must be coming from the air conditioning system but which couldnt be explained. It turned out that the cinemas were built up against the ruins of an old cholera hospital, indeed the architect had actually left fragments of the walls visible in the basement plant room.

Sounds to me like the Jervis Centre and surrounding buildings might have similar echoes from the sites past uses bouncing around the place...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

citycentre wrote: »
    As an architect I'm well aware of the psychological effects of poorly designed buildings which the Jervis Centre is a prime example of - almost zero natural light and the convoluted circulation being it's worst failings.

Noise can be a factor too. The sound from large busy crowds can be as loud as jackhammers.

Sub sonics - that's sound below the human hearing range, can be felt - they can be unpleasant because you feel them in your gut.

I can think of a few places where I've been - that if a large truck was passing on the road nearby, the house might vibrate - just enough to be uncomfortable.

What's supposed to be a freaky experience is some sky scrapers, will occasionally release tension in a hum. It will be the resonant frequency of the building, unless there are enough irregularities in the structure to stop a single large resonant frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

That's exactly how I feel about the place too! I never put it down to anything paranormal - just always explained it away with lack of natural light, design etc etc. But as soon as I get out the front door back on to Henry street, I always breath a huge sigh of relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Rasmus wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see the plans of the old hospital, and figure out what was in that area. I wonder is there any way of getting a hold of something like that?

You could try the Irish architectural archives on Stephens green. I got all the construction notes and drawings for charleville castle there

Riamfada wrote: »
    You could try the Irish architectural archives on Stephens green. I got all the construction notes and drawings for charleville castle there

What a great idea, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Rasmus wrote: »
    What a great idea, thank you!

Check this out! - http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715441,734445,7,9
    I zoomed in to the location for your convenience.

You can view a new map of your area/home and superimpose them with the ordnance survey maps of 1837-1842 and 1888-1913.

Looks like there was a infirmary on the site or beside where the Jervis center is.

2011-12-07151943.jpg

Did a bit of paranormal investigating/christmas shopping in Jervis.All the fruit looks likes its balanced on the edge. You can also see the security camera to the top left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

CMpunked wrote: »
    It may be coincidental, but i notice that at 2.54 on the pineapple vid, there is some sort of, what appears to be, a reflection of a light possibly from outside on the white square in the bottom left hand corner of the video.
    What makes it odd is how the pineapple appears to fall about 5 seconds afterwards. This flash reflection doesnt seem to happen again on either videos.

Could be a car or something passing outside, there's some windows just around the juice bar.

I actually know one of the girls who works in that Zumo and she assures me the fruit was\is balanced pretty well, with the oranges and pineapples held in place with a surrounding banana fortification.

Im putting this down to a possible structural deficiency of the bananas, shoddy banana fort building skills or perhaps a mixture of both. Either that or a cunningly hidden security guard-I would wager, much like Oscar the Grouch, surreptitiously hiding in the bin awaiting his opportunity to pounce and retreat once his task is completed.

Now perhaps some may think that a ghost has somehow interacted with the molecular magnetic field of the bananas, causing the atoms within to vibrate in opposition to the the molecular magnetic fields of the oranges and pineapples sitting atop, in turn generating enough repulsive force between the two to hurl said fruits through the air towards the unsuspecting cleaner but I am not amongst them :D

I believe there are two other cameras covering what I believe to be the scene of Oscar's crime, perhaps the release of their footage could help clear matters up :)

Check this out! - http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715441,734445,7,9
    I zoomed in to the location for your convenience.

You can view a new map of your area/home and superimpose them with the ordnance survey maps of 1837-1842 and 1888-1913.

Looks like there was a infirmary on the site or beside where the Jervis center is.

Thank you. I couldn't get anything from the link but checked out the site, what fun! What's really interesting about this location is the church, hospital and graveyard triangle. Standard I guess for the time, but absorbing none the less. The current Xmas market in Wolfe Tone Square stands on a disused graveyard so to be speak. I never knew this, but a quick googling brings up loads of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I used to work in Zumos and all displays are done first thing in the morning, so they would have went all day without falling, even with vibrations from people walking around, but yet they fall when no one is there.... very strange.

Latchy wrote: »
    i worked in Jervis street hospital back in the 80s but cant recall any spooky goings on or tales of sorts that i can remember .

As i am still alive i cant have gone back to haunt the place either .

I know you said this two years ago, but do you recall what department of the hospital was situated where the Zumo stand is now? Or Marks and Spencer?

Riamfada wrote: »
    2011-12-07151943.jpg

Did a bit of paranormal investigating/christmas shopping in Jervis.All the fruit looks likes its balanced on the edge. You can also see the security camera to the top left.

Look at the large orb at the bottom of the picture .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ihavent seen it mentioned and it was quite a whole ago so I can remember if I heard it on the radio or read it, but there was a man on his way down the long corridor to the toilets in jerks. He said he saw what was clearly the ghost of a woman walking past him but she stopped and actually looked at him and continued walking then and dissolved into thin air.

YouTube has some clips with people talking about ghostly e periences in jervis if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 danom8

It's funny but I have also always gotten an uneasy feeling in Jervis. I never put it down to being paranormal (I guess it would never have crossed my mind because it has a very clean open layout).

The worst for me is walking to the toilets. That corridor is so long and I always feel lightheaded as I approach the men's. It's a good trek down.

I worked on Henry Street and would usually spend my break browsing Jervis but every time I'm there I want to leave as soon as possible. I always feel like I'm being rushed out of the place. I imagined it was because it's a fairly busy shopping centre but I never felt this way in the Ilac or Stephen's Green.

There are a few key areas that I don't like in Jervis.

The corridor to the toilets.
    Tesco in the basement (the escalator down and back up always makes me lightheaded)

The circular corridor at the top to the car-park and the corridor between Topman Boots and M&S.

Definitely a strange location and I'm glad I finally know why. I'd also like to point out that I'm not jumping on the "oooh I've had that feeling before" bandwagon.

It was actually a sigh of relief for me to read about the history of the centre and other people's experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

danom8 wrote: »
    The worst for me is walking to the toilets. That corridor is so long and I always feel lightheaded as I approach the men's. It's a good trek down.

Same. I was saying that before. It isn't like an ordinary walk down your average corridor, i.e. one in an airport, for instance, which can be twice as long.
    danom8 wrote: »
    There are a few key areas that I don't like in Jervis.

[...] and the corridor between Topman, Boots and M&S.

I don't like that place either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mad how people are affect differently by their environment, isn't it? I love the corridor to the toilets there because I like to make believe that it's the future, and the corridor is on a space ship, or a base on an alien world, and there are no windows because the environment is too hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MeadhbhL3

This is fascinating guys! Gonna have to find out more about the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I used to work in Boots in the Jervis a few years ago. Just reading this thread I remember feeling unnerved one evening going up to the stock room. There was definitely nobody else up there that night but I seen a figure standing behind one of the cages that you put stock on. I also just had this horrible feeling I wasn't alone. I'd be a sceptic btw but there was definitely something weird going on that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ellen27

never like d place or d walk way towards the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kruka

The videos are no longer available on youtube. Are they available anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

It is haunted, Where Tesco is now, that's where the Hospital Morgue was, it has lots of cold spots now, and things end up in your trolly you didn't put in there at all.

harperlee wrote: »
    it has lots of cold spots now

Are you sure thats not the frozen good isle? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

harperlee wrote: »
    It is haunted, Where Tesco is now, that's where the Hospital Morgue was, it has lots of cold spots now, and things end up in your trolly you didn't put in there at all.

I'm not trying to be rude,but would it be near the fridge/freezers section that it's 'cold' and as for the putting things in your trolly, sounds like someone/some child put things in there, and then realised it wasn't their trolly and wandered off,because it looks twice as bad to remove the item!! :D

@Citycentre "However I'm also a believer that places can have certain energies imbued by past uses that can either be counteracted or amplified by the current use."
    Upon mentioning this I thought of something, do you think it's possible for flooring from a (now shut down) mental hospital for it's energies to 'teleport' (sorry i cant think of a better word!) to the area in which it is now used?

I'm asking simply because my family house has that of the wooden flooring from a mental hospital in mayo. It's really funny when someone is standing at the front door and as they're walking on it, to tell them this, i've never seen people run as quick in my life, haha - aw, it's a good one, every.single.time!!
    However it would be interesting if its previous negative energies were to influence the lack of air circulation in the house. Would explain somethings, either that or the way in which my parents designed the house and where it how it was built, would be it.
    Even if the above is possible, it wouldn't bother me, i don't think mentally ill spirits could be bad spirits. Plus the only things that cannot be explained have not really been bad things. I've also heard that the site next to this house, used to be a burial site in the 20s, when they dig that site up, i want to see the evidence!!

On topic now; I've never had an eerie feeling whilst in Jervis. The only time i've ever felt a 'i need air' was from too much shopping, whilst dehydrated and hungover. Interesting though..,now i'm intrigued and want to be there at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shikei

Hmm I used to spend a lot of time in Jervis as a teenager as my mum works nearby, never felt uncomfortable there I must say- probably cuz i was so excited about shopping! I really associate it with doing Christmas shopping especially :) Not mad about the corridor to the bathroom either but I think thats just because its long and white... There are some places that just have an unwelcoming atmosphere that I wouldn't necessarily put down to anything paranormal, like the stairwell in Stephen's Green shopping centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I can tell you as haunted as you may think the shopping centre is and its nowhere near as eerie as the feeling you get in the old catacombs underneath the place. Don't forget that it was all sorts of things before it was a shopping centre.

I used to work in Golden Discs there and we had to take the back lift down to the basement and go through the catacombs to get the skips for the rubbish. Its was creepy and you could feel what it was like to work there and what went on there before it was a shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aquarius lady

Hi
    I read with interest your accounts of Jervis Centre. I worked as a nurse there for many years and of course many people lived and died there and hence I have no doubt that the energy of these people lingers on.... However, I do know that on night duty it was well known that a ghostly night nurse walked the corridors of the childrens ward.:(:cool:

• Advertisement

• Weird happenings, at night. I've seen this script before.

Advertisement