Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM & Jervis Centre haunted?

Options
  • 27-02-2008 11:41am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Today are moving offices from somewhere around Jervis centre to Diggs lane but ray darcy had one of the today fm night staff on this morning with her tales of weird goings on in their office at night.

She (bernie, not sure of her full name or position there) said that she sometimes hears on a monday night at about 10pm a light singing noise from one of the empty news studios in their premises. She said she was going to try record it tonight.

She also went on to say that she has sometimes seen a white figure moving down the stairs.

It prompted some calls and texts from M&S workers in jervis (which is connected to the today fm building) who have similar stories.

Seemingly there used to be a hospital there.

Anyone work there or have any tales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

ooh that gave me a bit of a shiver! freaky.
    I always wonder how i'd react in a situation like that.
    Although i know when im at home and i think i hear something (My imagination is terrible) i just Freeze. I cant move for a couple of minutes. I always think i'd stay calm but i'd say i'd be freaked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

The Jervis Steet Hospital used to be there, it was one of the main places victims were brought to during the Dublin bombings on Parnell and Talbot St in the 70's. Had been open for years before that so I imagine many people passed at that address.

I thought the Today Fm building was a new build in the Georgian Style when they put up the centre, I know Marks and Spencers is definitely all brand new but didn't know the hospital had ever extended that far.

Interesting stuff though. I've seen a few things in my life (not in Jervis btw) and although they never meant any harm, it's always been a very unnerving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They just mentioned it now (and this thread) and played a clip of a load of white noise and claimed that there was a voice talking over it. Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

What a load of outrageous nonsense. They put a microphone in the room said that there was a whisper on it. Talk about deluded. Any actual proof for this "haunting", .......though not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

And they quoted nicelives too!

There have been a few sightings by different people?

So, death12........ does that mean they are all deluded?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I thought that recording was just noise as well, I didnt hear any variation or anything resembling a voice. I thought giving it so much focus made them look foolish.

Nice to hear boards.ie getting a mention, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah for Boards.ie Paranormal Forum!

They did a Halloween show last year (or 2006) where they talked about happenings in the building and its been mentioned a few other times.

Anyway if they are reading this then they should really get a few of us in to check it out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

great to hear boards.ie on the radio over breakfast,

then again....maybe i should get a life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

They just read out my email I sent them!

I worked in M&S for a few years & every few weeks there would be an incident these ranged from sounds to apparitions to one poltergeist like encounter that happened when I was in the building... on the floor below where it happened!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What a load of outrageous nonsense. They put a microphone in the room said that there was a whisper on it. Talk about deluded. Any actual proof for this "haunting", .......though not.
    If we only ever discussed things that were scientifically proved this forum would be pretty dead, in fact it would be pointless, we would discuss them in the physics or biology forums instead. Please read the forum charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I did hear the recording they made on the radio this morning but missed what happened or was said after, had to bring the little man into school. Great to hear they mentioned here though.... on the second play of the recording you could hear a different sound, what it was or could be is anyones guess at this stage, it would be nice or interesting to see futher investigation on the matter. Maybe they could bring a group in for advice on how to go about it.....

dellas1979 wrote: »
    And they quoted nicelives too!

That's Gas, should have been a bit more controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

I used to work in Champion Sports in Jervis when I was in college, a good few years ago now. Normally there'd be a couple of us in the stock room way upstairs. I can't remember the area that well but it was like a car park just outside the stock room - for deliveries etc - and a service lift we used just across from the stockroom entrance where we'd take those huge wheely bins full of cardboard down to the basement.

Anyway, I'm coming to my very short point now! ;) One evening, myself and another lad were in the service lift and, just the two of us and the bin, and I heard a voice, clear as anything say something, unwelcoming, can't remember exactly what it was but along the lines of 'leave'. I know that sounds lame but...! I didn't say anything when I'd heard it, just felt very uneasy. When we got out of the lift I said to my colleague, ''did you hear something in the lift before''..and he looked at me and said yeah, and told me exactly what I'd heard!

It was kinda scary getting the lift after that!! Especially on your own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

faceman wrote: »
    Today are moving offices from somewhere around Jervis centre to Diggs lane but ray darcy had one of the today fm night staff on this morning with her tales of weird goings on in their office at night.

She (bernie, not sure of her full name or position there) said that she sometimes hears on a monday night at about 10pm a light singing noise from one of the empty news studios in their premises. She said she was going to try record it tonight.

She also went on to say that she has sometimes seen a white figure moving down the stairs.

It prompted some calls and texts from M&S workers in jervis (which is connected to the today fm building) who have similar stories.

Seemingly there used to be a hospital there.

Anyone work there or have any tales?

i worked in Jervis street hospital back in the 80s but cant recall any spooky goings on or tales of sorts that i can remember .

As i am still alive i cant have gone back to haunt the place either .

latchyco wrote: »
    i worked in Jervis street hospital back in the 80s but cant recall any spooky goings on or tales of sorts that i can remember .

As i am still alive i cant have gone back to haunt the place either .

It's actually a Billy Bragg song :D

Predhead wrote: »
    It's actually a Billy Bragg song :D

which , topic/ my post ? i was being serious (honest ) :)

My error there sorry!

I meant the song - 'A New England' - It was originally by Billy Bragg. Thought you'd like to know incase you didn't! :o

My error there sorry!

I meant the song - 'A New England' - It was originally by Billy Bragg. Thought you'd like to know incase you didn't! :o

Oh my sig right :rolleyes: .

It seems to only pop up in some posts and not others , Didn't realise it was a billy brag tune ,have to check it out .I really like Kirstys version.

Thought for a minute billy brag was haunting the old jerve lol ...

Haha yeah her's is good alright.

Should check out Billy Bragg, got some great stuff.

Haha yeah her's is good alright.

Should check out Billy Bragg, got some great stuff.

Yeah i will do ,he's being around for quite a bit now and familier with some of his stuff .

I am off out for a bit now but will return soon to see if any spooks (or things that go bump in the night ) are found .................:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

nicelives wrote: »
    I thought the Today Fm building was a new build in the Georgian Style when they put up the centre, I know Marks and Spencers is definitely all brand new but didn't know the hospital had ever extended that far.

It looks old enough. It's on you left as you walk down Abbey Street towards O'Connell street. It's just a little after the Luas Station.

I've heard about the hauntings in the Marks and Spenser's before too. I thought it was funny that one of the speakers at that World Ghost Convention in Cork last year said that you only get hauntings in old buildings and even gave Marks and Spenser's as an example of a modern place that you wouldn't find a ghost.

It looks old enough. It's on you left as you walk down Abbey Street towards O'Connell street. It's just a little after the Luas Station.
    Will have to have another look at it, I know it is Georgian style but thought it was built at the same time as the Jervis centre, you can access it from within the centre or from the outside. Maybe the frontage is the original as opposed to replica and the building itself is modern which is sometimes required by planners to maintain the street scape.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is it not on the right hand side?

Its the left as you walk towards O'Connell Street down Abbey Street, monkeyfudge wins the prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

ok dunno whether that's scary or just weird!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

ooOoo, I´m getting chills down my spine just by reading this thread. I´ll have to check it out now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wonder who is taking up the lease from today fm now?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

Hi there everyone, this is my first time posting on boards.
    I just wanted to explain what happened in the building on Abbey St. that Today FM was originally located in.....I'm the journalist who witnessed some strange happenings of a paranormal kind there - so here goes.
    It all began over 10 years ago when the station was known as Radio Ireland. They moved into the building which was formerly a nurses residence, and was attached to Jervis St. Hospital. Several staff swear they saw "something" in the studios and on the stairs. Some were on shift work, others were working normal hours, so it can't be put down to tiredness. For my part I heard what seemed to be a woman's voice humming a lullaby late at night in the corner of the newsroom. I ignored it for a long time, thinking a radio was left on. But when I finally went over the corner to switch it off, I found it hadn't been on, and the humming stopped. Yet when I walked away, it started again. Oddly enough this wasn't frightening. I sent an email around the last week we were there explaining what happened and that I also saw a grey figure descending the stairs. It seems I was not alone - one guy saw the figure passing through the studio walls ( remember the studio walls would not have been there in the original building). Someone else heard a cough behind them when they were alone in a studio, and another person saw a chair move by itself. At least eight people in total witnessed something inexplicable there. Again, no one felt any real fear, possibly because it was a benign entity, but after hearing all those stories I was glad my nights with the newsroom ghost were over!
    Incidentally the M&S staff in the adjacent building seem to have had much more manifestations than we did. One report was of the sound of children singing nursery rhymes ..... what they didn't know is, the newsroom is on that same floor. Strange.

Thanks for dropping in with that info, nice to hear some stuff from someone who actually witnessed it.

Any chance you know what the building will be used for now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

I believe Arnotts - who have bought out the former Debenhams store in Jervis - are considering moving offices in there. But don't quote me on it!

Advertisement