Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

One last thing about sperm health. It's best that the sperm is "refreshed" at regular, but not too regular, intervals. Ideally he should ejaculate every few days, so for example, if you haven't had sex in the week before your fertile period he should still "clear the pipes" a couple of days in advance. But on the other hand if he ejaculates every day the sperm may not be be at it's strongest either. Sex/masturbation every second day is best for sperm health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

So you are on Clomid with the trigger? I am going on a thing called gonadotrophin injections. Taken day 2-6 I think he said, and intensive monitoring on days 3, 5 , 7, 9. Well actually, intensive monitoring until the egg/s get to 19mm, then ovulation will be triggered.
    He showed me a pen type needle (similar to diabetics). There is a dosage dial at the top, you turn it to desired dosage. The just stick it in your belly. What's all this mixing lark? Wow is right Lucyfur, I thought it was more straightforward than that.
    Unfortunately Neyite I am not normal like you, I simply cannot wait 3 weeks to test (I'm already at 2.5 weeks as my luteal phase can be 16/17 days). I will be that saddo that tests out the trigger and anxiously awaits lines to reappear. :o There's no point in denying it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I was in Next today and wandered into the newborn section...looking at clothes doesn't really bother me but today...oh hell...I want this so much...

I know I'm extremely lucky to have my son but today everything seems to be taunting me.

Bleugh.

Yeh I still can't look at newborn clothes, it kills me. (((Hugsies)))
    How are you keeping otherwise? :)

Ah I'm great ta DFT, healed perfectly, I thought the scar was going to be all jaggedy because the drains pulled it at one end and made it all lumpy at the other, but it's not:) Not that I'd give a monkeys if it was lol
    So physically I'm grand, mentally I'm great too...just the odd moment of sadness. I'm ok about the due dates...I'd love to be pregnant again by the first one in November but if I'm not I'll be grand.

How are you chick?

• Advertisement

Detectiv I'm so sorry the appointment today didn't go as planned :( Will they try you on the trigger shots for long before considering IVF? I really hope the new course of treatment will work for you - and soon!
    As an aside, that's mad the doctor telling you you were a good patient. Sounds like he was only short of patting you on the head & giving you a lolly ;)

Lol I know, he's a bit peculiar is my doc.
    Did I tell you he showed me a photo of a healthy uterus and ovaries yesterday. Then he pulled out my surgery photo's from the op and said "and this is YOUR uterus". It was like something out of the movie Aliens, it was so gross, and I'm not grossed out easily. The ovaries and uterus weren't discernible AT ALL. The tubes and womb were fused together by scar tissue. It was fascinating to see al the scar tissue and adhesions etc. (for about a minute). Of course he explained all the 'disease' is gone now. He also showed me a cool pic of the HSG test and the dye that had travelled up the tubes and into the uterine cavity, that was pretty neat.
    I think he showed me all of this because he knows I'm so inquisitive, I reckon I do his head in with all my questions. He probably wouldn't show this sort of stuff to most of his patients!

ah I'm grant thanks. Had a wobble yesterday (I blubbed to my boss when I got into work) about not having an eggie this month, so sick of my body not cooperating. Then I was a bit more positive today and have decided I will ovulate and will try ttc-ing anyway.
    I rang my mam last night and she was so comforting. Mams are great.

Glad your scars are healing nicely, Mine are tiny, but a bit lumpy to the touch and quite red. I must start using the bio oil. I have a bottle of it just forget to use it

oh, re due date, I am going to let go a chinese lantern at night time. It will be November 7th so around Hallowe'en time :)

Ah hun I'm not surprised you had a wobble, you've gone through a lot in the last few months xx

Bio oil is good stuff but I hate the feel and smell of it on my skin so I just put a bit in the bath and use palmers cocoa oil directly on my skin:)

Chinese lantern is a beautiful idea:)

ya I heard Vitamin E lotion is good too, might get some of that

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

So you are on Clomid with the trigger? I am going on a thing called gonadotrophin injections. Taken day 2-6 I think he said, and intensive monitoring on days 3, 5 , 7, 9. Well actually, intensive monitoring until the egg/s get to 19mm, then ovulation will be triggered.
    He showed me a pen type needle (similar to diabetics). There is a dosage dial at the top, you turn it to desired dosage. The just stick it in your belly. What's all this mixing lark? Wow is right Lucyfur, I thought it was more straightforward than that.
    Unfortunately Neyite I am not normal like you, I simply cannot wait 3 weeks to test (I'm already at 2.5 weeks as my luteal phase can be 16/17 days). I will be that saddo that tests out the trigger and anxiously awaits lines to reappear. :o There's no point in denying it! :p

That sounds like the Ovitrelle - Pregnyl and Ovitrelle have the same ingredient -gonatrophin, but the Ovitrelle comes in a pen type thing like insulin for diabetics - sounds like yours, though I think its the clomid that you take days 2-6 but I could be wrong. Our nurse told us that if we went to IVF that is what we would be put on, and advised us to register with our regular pharmacist for the drug payments scheme thing in case so I got the forms - you should too, then they will ensure stocks of it for you.

I knew writing about the extra time added to the TWW would be something that you would have difficulty with - I've seen your posts where you test early, but as long as you know the gonadtrophin could cause a positive thats enough.
    Ladies I have been part of this thread/forum for the past year ttc so I wanted to share my news with you first (well after telling dh :D) - I got my BFP!!!

I'm going anon because some of my family/friends are on this forum & I don't want anyone else knowing so early.

I tested yesterday lunchtime on a cheapie and got the faintest of lines. So rushed to the chemist to get a clearblue idiot proof 'pregnant/not pregnant' digital test & to my utter disbelief it came up pregnant :O

I will say I must thank from the bottom of my boots Iguana for recommending MACA to me, as for a whole year of not a sausage happening - I got my bfp after one month on this supplement.

It didn't regulate my cycle, my ovulation wasn't until CD18. However come ovulation day & there was an abundance of CM & my libido was through the roof (unusual for me!) so I firmly believe it did the trick.

Sorry as this is TMI, but after 2 miscarriages I am nervous & find myself on constant knicker watch for spotting. Hopefully if all goes well and if this pregnancy is meant to be, then the nerves will die down as the weeks go on.

I hope you don't mind if I still lurk on here for a while. Part of it is because I'm still in disbelief after 1+ year of TTC that I finally have my BFP. But also because I've gotten to know a lot of y'all so well on this thread that I'd miss catching up with you all x

I truly hope mine wont be the only BFP here this month & that you will all get your bfp's very VERY soon.

Babydust to you all x x x

HOW THE F**K DID I MISS THIS!!!!!!!:D:D:D
    (probably the anon posting delayed it a bit)

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

Big Congrats, super-seekrit poster!!!!! Really curious now!

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. Feel free to hang around here as long as you like. I know when I get my BFP that I will do the same - I've made friends here, and wont wanna leave for the pregnancy forum unless everyone else can too. I like Lucyfurs suggestion that we all meet up when we 'graduate' from this forum with out babies.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

5 penguins bars & a tub of cookie dough

:eek: *gasps* I think I know your seekrit identity! :eek:

*does happy dance for penguin*

*puts maca on shopping list*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Neyite wrote: »
    HOW THE F**K DID I MISS THIS!!!!!!!:D:D:D
    (probably the anon posting delayed it a bit)

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

Big Congrats, super-seekrit poster!!!!! Really curious now!

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. Feel free to hang around here as long as you like. I know when I get my BFP that I will do the same - I've made friends here, and wont wanna leave for the pregnancy forum unless everyone else can too. I like Lucyfurs suggestion that we all meet up when we 'graduate' from this forum with out babies.

So brilliant to come back to good news! Can't wait to find out who for sure!

Am so glad the 3 months are over and am raring to get busy once this period is over. Thanks everyone or your good wishes. I have been fine and dandy and busy busy busy. Made time to get a smear test -yuk! And am slightly worried that it will throw up some unknown problem afterall the drama with the mc and molar pregnancy. I just don't wany any more delay - I will be 42 in November. Paranoid moi!

Grawns wrote: »
    So brilliant to come back to good news! Can't wait to find out who for sure!

Am so glad the 3 months are over and am raring to get busy once this period is over. Thanks everyone or your good wishes. I have been fine and dandy and busy busy busy. Made time to get a smear test -yuk! And am slightly worried that it will throw up some unknown problem afterall the drama with the mc and molar pregnancy. I just don't wany any more delay - I will be 42 in November. Paranoid moi!

hahahaa my smear came back ''inconclusive''. Nurse rang me, I told her the situation, told her she can sing for my cells if I manage to get pregnant this month NO ONE is going poking up there. She laughed and wished me all the best. If I don't get pregnant, I'll go back for the repeat this month.

PENGUIN BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHHOOOOOOOOOOOP WWHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOP Ya can't be doing this seekrit stuffs!!! PM US!!!!!!! Delighted for ya chick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

5 penguins bars & a tub of cookie dough lol.

thats is brilliant news :)

were can u get that maca vitamin? was looking at holland and barrett couldn't see it. be so curious to try it, this whole ttc is draining at times.

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!
    CONGRATS A MILLION BILLION TIMES OVER :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

p.s. I won't tell ;)

I think in all cases you get false positives when triggering because of the use of HCG to trigger. Once I'm aware of that I'm fine about it, I'll actually enjoy testing out the trigger, think I was a scientist in a past life! On Fertility Friend there's a forum dedicated to IUI/Artificial Stimulation and they all test out their triggers and post progression pics, I find it fascinating. It's really cool when you see the trigger fading out, tests going neg, and then for those that get pg they start to darken up again.
    I'm really thinking of taking MACA now. 'Anon' (lol) poster tell us more. what dose did you take etc?

Oh ladies, by the way, I started getting ovulation twinges today. Cycle may not be bust after all, just my crazy lazy ovary taking her sweet feckin' time as usual :p

Ladies I have been part of this thread/forum for the past year ttc so I wanted to share my news with you first (well after telling dh :D) - I got my BFP!!!

I'm going anon because some of my family/friends are on this forum & I don't want anyone else knowing so early.

I tested yesterday lunchtime on a cheapie and got the faintest of lines. So rushed to the chemist to get a clearblue idiot proof 'pregnant/not pregnant' digital test & to my utter disbelief it came up pregnant :O

I will say I must thank from the bottom of my boots Iguana for recommending MACA to me, as for a whole year of not a sausage happening - I got my bfp after one month on this supplement.

It didn't regulate my cycle, my ovulation wasn't until CD18. However come ovulation day & there was an abundance of CM & my libido was through the roof (unusual for me!) so I firmly believe it did the trick.

Sorry as this is TMI, but after 2 miscarriages I am nervous & find myself on constant knicker watch for spotting. Hopefully if all goes well and if this pregnancy is meant to be, then the nerves will die down as the weeks go on.

I hope you don't mind if I still lurk on here for a while. Part of it is because I'm still in disbelief after 1+ year of TTC that I finally have my BFP. But also because I've gotten to know a lot of y'all so well on this thread that I'd miss catching up with you all x

I truly hope mine wont be the only BFP here this month & that you will all get your bfp's very VERY soon.

Babydust to you all x x x

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE TOOOOOOO

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A bazillion congratulations and a bazillion more bags of sticky baby dust to you:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Detective - I dont think we can take maca with clomid :(

As soon as I saw "Penguin Bars" post I went and got some from the local health food store. Went in to the pharmacist next door to check with her and she didnt know, told me to talk to the doc first, but I'm also on Parlodel so thats a third hormone med I'm taking so I better not chance it.

Though it does increast male libido, sperm quality and volume, so someone in the house might take it.

Neyite wrote: »
    Detective - I dont think we can take maca with clomid :(

ah pants! we can't win can we??? no fair :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Lucyfur wrote: »
    hahahaa my smear came back ''inconclusive''. Nurse rang me, I told her the situation, told her she can sing for my cells if I manage to get pregnant this month NO ONE is going poking up there. She laughed and wished me all the best. If I don't get pregnant, I'll go back for the repeat this month

Pmsl, I bet that's the first time she's heard that :D:D Fingers & toes crossed for you this month so you don't have to repeat the smear.
    Wow fair play to you for starting the course & jacking in work! I hope you really enjoy the course :)

Detectiv - this might be completely different to your situation, but when I went for the ultrasound in January the consultant told me I had no dominant follicles that month/that I wasn't going to ovulate; he also said the lining of my uterus was very thin.
    I attended a gynae a week or 2 later & she contradicted him by pointing out

1. I was 3 days into my period so was probably too early to see dominant follicles considering I normally ovulate cd17 on.
    2. Of course my uterus lining would be thin, I was in the middle of my period & shedding lining!
    I found it very interesting the way two professionals in the same field had such opposing views.
    Fingers crossed the twinges are ovulation and not all is lost yet :)

Grawns, that's brill that your3 months are up, here's hoping you'll get your bfp very soon. 42 is the new 32, you're only a young one :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Congrats Penguin bars!!!:D:D;)

Did you both take the maca and do you intend to keep on taking it for the next while? I've decided that I'll probably keep taking it if I get pregnant as it supports progesterone production.

Neyite, maca isn't a hormone it's a foodstuff (similar to a turnip) who's nutrients support the hormone system. That said I'd err on the side of caution and not take it with prescribed hormones unless I'd had a doctor tell me it was ok. But it's definitely a good idea to get your other half to take it.

I know Cap that's what I was thinking. My cycles are so long (even on Clomid I don't ov til day 20/21 or so), so on day 10 I would be surprised if a dominant follicle would be present on a scan, my body operates a week or two behind the norm :rolleyes: I know he's an expert, and I'm sure there was genuinely nothing for him to see, but I'd expect that on Day 10 for me. I know my body better - fact.
    I am having such obvious ovulation twinges that I was going to book a scan next week (right around the time I should ovulate) to check it out, but then I thought why bother. The outcome will be the same, 'cept I'll be down €100, and with potentially 6 inject cycles ahead of me at +€400 apiece I can't be throwing money around.
    I'm going to allow OH to continue thinking the cycle is bust. It will take the pressure off him this month, and I will ensure we will still do the deed regularly, commencing tomorrow.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks a mill for all the replies :)
    If you're not sure I've a related but still anonymous post on my facebook (sad case that I am!)

This time last pregnancy I had told me parents, my sibling etc then it ended in a miss so I'm terrified to jinx things just in case.
    I'm going to my GP Monday to see if he can get a referral for me to get an early scan at 8 weeks (the hospital did tell me to come back at 8 weeks on the next pregnancy after the loss). So please God if I get to the 8 week stage & all is looking well on the scan I'll reveal myself :)

About the MACA, this is the one I got.......

http://www.saraschoice.com/?page_id=17

I did a lot of reading on it before I got it, apparently its known as 'natures clomid', so I think that may possibly be why those taking clomid can not take it.
    Though might be no harm checking with your gynae just in case?

Ok so here's my cycle;

AF July 12th, started taking MACA CD 11 3 capsules per day.
    I wasn't testing with opk's for ovulation this month, but did have really thick egg white mucus CD 19.
    Infuriatingly at the time, we couldn't get to do the deed til CD20, but had already covered that base by doing so CD 15+17; CD 20 twice.
    I'm utterly convinced CD20 was the day of conception as my libido was extremely high (terrified the poor other half jumping him when he came home in the afternoon :D)
    Sorry for the tmi, but had such a massive O that the spermies didn't come back out for a few days, so definitely gave them plenty of time to do their thing!

Applesock, Holland & Barret don't sell MACA alone, they sell 'horny goat weed' supplement which is a mix of goat weed + maca;
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=618&prodid=274&cid=205&sid=0

The info on the Sara's choice website is very interesting about the origins of maca.

I did another test this morning (5am, eek!) just to be sure to be sure & still pregnant! It's weird, I doesn't feel like I'm pregnant yet, I don't think it'll all feel official til I speak to my gp monday or maybe til I get the scan.

In the mean time, I'm still taking 1 Maca supplement a day. I'm scared not to take them in case they're the reason I'm pregnant & that stopping them might lead to problems.
    Yet I'm also worried about taking supplements when I'm pregnant just in case.
    I'll speak to my doc Monday & see what he says.

I had to have cookie dough to celebrate today, no penguins bars though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello,
    I have been reading a lot of the threads on this forum for the past few months with great interest and have learned a lot! Basically myself and my wife have been trying to conceive for the past few months, so far without success. We are both still in our 20's just about so am not too worried. But I am not sure how to approach the issue of pregnancy tests. I would love to get positive news but don't want to force the issue either.
    So basically, any thoughts as to how to approach the pregnancy test from a male perspective without causing unnecessary stress for my wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I think you're dead right, I wouldn't give up on the cycle altogether.

Interestingly the Consultant I seen for the ultrasound was a man & the Gynae was a woman. Not sure if its relevant, but I do believe no one knows their body better than themselves. Especially when it comes to your cycle, hope that doesn't sound terribly sexist :o

Here's some interesting info I came across about Maca for those that wish to learn some more...
    MACA ROOT: Ancient Incan Herb Rediscovered by Modern Science
    by Shayne Foley

In the Central Andean mountains of Peru, at 12,000-plus feet, Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is found growing where little else will. With this in mind, it somehow seems appropriate that this plant has long been recognized as a facilitator of reproduction in domestic animals and humans, promoting both sexual vitality and fertility. It is said to also improve general vitality, which is probably why some mistakenly call it ‘Peruvian Ginseng’ (although it is not related to true Ginseng).

In addition to being used as a highly nutritive vegetable crop (higher growth rates have been observed amongst mice fed diets supplemented with cooked Maca), the ethnomedical history of Maca use includes infertility, menopause, rheumatism, respiratory ailments and anemia.

Pharmacologists have provided knowledge of Maca’s high iron content as a logical explanation for its use in treating anemia. However, the constituents responsible for the sexually related benefits of Maca remain a mystery. Unique compounds, including those known as ‘macamides’ have been identified, but no single constituent or group of constituents has been shown to be the therapeutically active fraction of this biochemically rich plant.

One interesting phytochemical discovery is that Maca contains catechins, powerful antioxidant constituents that are also found in Green Tea (Camellia sinensis). Other Maca compounds have also been shown to have both antioxidant and anticancer activity. Specifically, Maca extract has been shown to degrade free radicals, prevent peroxynitrite induced-cell death, and protect cells against hydrogen peroxide by maintaining the intracellular production of ATP (the primary molecule that supplies energy to cells). With the knowledge that free radicals can damage human sperm cells, Maca’s antioxidant capacity may eventually prove to be an important factor in understanding the sexually related actions of the plant.

Human studies have yielded promising results and clearly support the use of Maca for enhancing sexual function and desire. Semen volume, total sperm count, and sperm motility have been shown to significantly increase with Maca use. Maca research on women has shown that graafian follicles (which release the female ovum at ovulation) were seen to increase in size when Maca was taken for two weeks.

In other human trials using Maca, no changes have been shown in hormone levels of healthy participants; luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin, 17 hydroxy-progesterone, estradiol, and testosterone levels appear not to be influenced by taking Maca.

One study which assessed Maca’s ability to increase sexual desire showed self-reported improvement in healthy men after taking Maca for 8-12 weeks. Furthermore, antidepressant, antianxiety, and stress reduction benefits were also seen.

Animal trials have also shone light on Maca’s use as an aphrodisiac. One study demonstrated a significant increase in copulation duration in rats, while another showed improvement in a variety of parameters, including an increase in the number, frequency, and efficacy of sexual intercourse. The same rat study saw a decrease in the time to first sexual encounter and the recovery time between ejaculation and the next sexual encounter.
    While research on Maca is only just beginning; it does appear to support Maca’s traditional use for improving sexual appetite and performance, fertility, and general well being.

Summary of Maca’s Actions:

• Antioxidant
    • Nutritive tonic
    • Enhances overall physical energy, stamina and endurance
    • Sexual tonic for men and women
    • Enhances sexual appetite
    • Enhances erectile function
    • Supports healthy menopause
    • Increases quantity of semen and motility of sperm
    • Stimulates graafian follicles which release female ovum
    • Iron tonic for anemia
    • Tonic for recovering alcoholics
    (Taken from[URL=]http://www.herbaled.org/Education/Articles/maca.html[/URL])

I did a quick google out of curiosity, I don't think its recommended to take Clomid + Maca simultaneously as it may over stimulate the ovaries leading to too many follicles being ripened.
    However on quite a few of the other TTC forums it lead me to, women seem to alternate, one month clomid: one month Maca.
    May be some food for thought?

HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Congrats Penguin Bars :) I'm so happy for you! Best of luck with your pregnancy :) although I Can't figure out your secret identity!

DFT I really hope IUI works hun! Do you have a time frame in mind before trying IVF? My fingers & toes are crossed!

Welcome back Grawns :) wishing you a speedy BFP!

Welcome all Newbies too :)

How's all of you lovely ladies? Hope you're having a great weekend!

thanks Tigeress! It's not IUI, that comes next, if the Stimulation + 'Timed Intercourse' doesn't work. You usually skip to IUI if there are male factor issues, e.g. poor sperm quality. We have no issues on that front so everything is artificially assisted on my side (follicle growing and ovulation), but we do the deed au naturel, no artificial insemination required. Hope it's a success, wouldn't be too happy to move on to IUI, but I suppose it would be the next logical step!
    How are you keeping hon?

thank for the info Cap.;)

Yuck at rats having sex. Just eew....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Sorry DFT I'm lost with it! When do you start?
    I'm good thanks, little bit of blood today so trying not to panic as this can happen.. Got a heartbeat check on Thurs and was shocked at how fast and loud it was :) only a week & a half till our scan and hopefully find the sex out hehe :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement