Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Mine is even worse now, I am late but did another pregnancy test and it was negative...I so wanted to be a mummy for my birthday on Sunday...

I'd say it's late because you are (understandably) anxious. That and only being back to your cycle is bound to affect when you get your period. You'll get there, but there seems to be no rushing these sprogs!

I know when I got het up last cycle about everything I found that reading what people were saying on the BabyandBump forum (a lot more active than here) helped. There were fecking loads of ladies who were having crazy long cycles after coming off the pill. It really put my mind at ease, even though I was another week or so waiting for my Red Letter Day, if you will.

I'm actually really enjoying the TTC "process" at the moment. It's like being 20 again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I enjoy the fun but the thing is that I was never on the pill, we used natural methods :( My mum got pregnant with me immediatly, it puts extra pressure on me. Good luck with the baby making :D

Well I was more referring to your loss. I know you weren't on the pill.

As for your Mum conceiving instantly (and if I recall you too last time), that shouldn't put any pressure on you. Every pregnancy and conception is different.

I was thinking though about your ovulation hives, could these be a sign that you have already ovulated (like the temp increase)?

Sorry, yes, I know, and I still miss our baby...you just try and forget sometimes...still no sign of it though, have done more tests and still negative, would be overjoyed if we were...the waiting is a killer...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Great thread!!!

I'm in my mid 30s and have been ttc #1 for 12 months now.
    I was diagnosed with ploycystic ovaries last summer but my hormone levels all seem fine so far (waiting on one more) and my cycle is regular.
    Have put on a lot of weight this year (about a stone) so trying to lose that.
    I swear by fertilityfriend - am addicted to entering all my data every day :)
    I take Evening Primrose oil and Pregnacare plus vitamins.
    Taking Green tea - supposed to be good for CM. A banana a day (doctors orders) and generally trying to eat a lot of fruit and veg.
    Might be starting clomphene next cycle.
    My doctor is great - very supportive.

My advice to anyone who is on this journey:
    - Don't test until you know you're late. It is very demotivating
    - A lot of my friends (some with PCOS) swear by the fertility monitor. I tried myself and it gave a great insight into when I'm ovulating.
    - Go to see your doctor if you have any concerns. Don't wait and get a good doctor who will be sympathetic.
    - It can take 12 to 18 months to get pregnant so don't freak out if it is taking longer than you expected.
    - Take a good multivitamin
    - Get 30 mins exercise a day - go for walks good for your mental health too!
    - If you have weight to lose lose it! A good BMI is important.
    - If you smoke quit! If you drink cut down.
    - Go on forums and talk about it - it's good to know that you aren't on your own.

Best of luck to all of you and stay positive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 1day

We've been ttc since October '06 and yes, it's heart breaking at times. We're going through fertility treatment which brings a rollercoaster of emotions with it. It is difficult and incredibly frustrating considering there is no medical reason why we haven't been successful. At least if there was a reason, it could be fixed!!
    Chat sites like these are very helpful. When you log onto these sites you realise just how many people are in the same situation.
    There was a very nice article in the Irish Times written from a man's point of view which makes a change. You might like to read it. We were amazed at how close it was to our story. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... 55889.html

Best of luck to you all in the same situation. Lets pray it will happen for us soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Hi! I'm planning to start ttc in a few months and was wondering if i should do a smear test first.

I'm 23 and never had one before. Would that be useful? I know you can't have one when pregnant and for a while after.

Yeah, go for the smear now, you'll also need to have you immunity to certain diseases checked (as far as I remember, chicken pox and the like) and get a vaccination if necessary. It's always a good idea to get your doctor's advice before you start TTC as well.

I'm into cycle 3 now, hopefully this one will be shorter than the last epic 60 day stint!

Yeah, go for the smear now, you'll also need to have you immunity to certain diseases checked (as far as I remember, chicken pox and the like) and get a vaccination if necessary. It's always a good idea to get your doctor's advice before you start TTC as well.

I'm into cycle 3 now, hopefully this one will be shorter than the last epic 60 day stint!

Thanks! Any idea if results take long?
    Not sure if I need the immunity check, got MMR shot last year (joys of ucd :D)

Another little problem I have is that I don't have a doctor. I used to always go to the college health centre, but won't be welcome there anymore since I'm graduating next week :)

How do I pick a good one? I don't really know how to start.:confused:

best of luck to you, hope everything works out.

You could attend any of the well women centres. They're very nice. You might feel more comfortable getting your first smear from a female doctor. Unless you've heard great reports about a particular doctor, I think registering with your local doctor is best. If you're not happy with them, you could always change.

As for the smear question ... yes, you should get a smear done before your start ttc.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

1day wrote: »
    You could attend any of the well women centres. They're very nice. You might feel more comfortable getting your first smear from a female doctor. Unless you've heard great reports about a particular doctor, I think registering with your local doctor is best. If you're not happy with them, you could always change.

As for the smear question ... yes, you should get a smear done before your start ttc.

Best of luck.

Hi! Thanks, I think I'll go the Well Woman route. I've been there before and they are very nice, I don't know why I didn't think of the straight away.

The reason I was asking, I suppose, is that I wasn't sure if the smear test can be done before I'm 25

Wow, smear test in Well woman is e140. is that normal? :eek:

That does seem a bit pricey. Have you called your local GP since that last post?

1day wrote: »
    That does seem a bit pricey. Have you called your local GP since that last post?

Yep. got one done today for 55 euro in a local medical centre. Nurse does it so it's cheaper.

Was not as bad as i pictured it would be :-)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

smear tests are free with registered doctors.

the wellwoman clinic is not registered

smear tests are free with registered doctors.

the wellwoman clinic is not registered

not free for under 25s though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rebroche

Hi girls
    I'm new to this site and I have to say this is a great thread.
    It's nice to know your not alone in your disappointments very month...

I am 33 years old. Myself and my husband have been making love without protection for about 10 months... I have to admit that we were just try the natural way without ovulation kits or anything like that. I usually have my peroid between day 25 to 27. so were were mainly doing the baby dance around day 12 to 15 "not sure if that was the right timing or not".
    I know it sometimes takes over 6 months on your 1st baby so I wasn't to worried but the last few months it started to get to me.

I didn't want to over think it because I would only start stressing over it. Also my husband suffers from depression and is on med's I'm not sure if they effect us getting pregnant or not... I try not to get to upset about it in front of him I know he's fine and I should tell him how I fell but I'm a bit over protective of his feeling. He is doing really well on his med's and we both really want a baby.

Got my peroid 2day and i was really down So I rang my dr and made an appointment for next week to ask his advice on Why we're not getting pregnant. I have to say I've been reading this thread and I'm thinking about going down town to buy a ovulation kit...

If anyone has any advice/tips for me or what I should buy please let me know.

So I'm sending out best wishes to everyone who is trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Glittergirl

Hi Rebroche
    I know how you feel! Whenever that witch of AF comes, it's such a downer. You also have to think about your husbands feelings as well, which believe it or not, may be causing you a little bit of stress that you don't think you have?

Anyway, I would highly recommend getting about 6/7 ovulation sticks. It's amazing how every month I was different on each day! I'd be day 12 or 13 one month and then 15 or 17 the next. However, my cycles were kindof every 31 - 36 days, so not your usual 28 days.

We were trying for over 2 years naturally and I decided to go and see a fertility doctor. We found out that my DH's sperm were a bit on the low side, so we got him multi vitamins and vitamin c. Hey, it's worth a try just getting some for your husband anyway and get him to start taking these. Also a male's sperm takes 3 months to make a new "batch"!!! So after 3 months of him taking these pills, he should have great sperm. Anyway, I am now 5 months pregnant and I honestly can say that the vitamins worked and also the fact that we did the business when we didn't even realize that I was ovulating! It's amazing how the brain can work, eh!!!

Now, your husbands sperm might be absolutely fantastic, I don't know, but sur these vitamins won't hurt, eh?

Also, I had a test done which cleaned out my fallopian tubes and it was great because the Dr. found that they were slightly blocked and maybe that was the problem. It was called a HSG test.

We were also told that prior to day 12/13 (or whatever day you think you will ovulate), to have sex (or to get your DH to do the "job" himself??), 4 days prior to this ... then during this four days, do not have any sex at all as the Dr said that it takes about 4 days for nice fresh fiesty sperm to be made. Does this make sense?

Anyway, the best of luck with everything.

I would highly suggest that if you don't get pregnant in about 3-4 months, I would go and see a fertility expert? I'm just letting you know as it really does take a long time to find out if there is anything wrong etc. etc.

Best of luck!!!!

Glit x

Hi Glittergirl
    Congratulations on the baby. I wish you a very happy healthy pregnancy.

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I have just bought an Ovulation kit.
    I'm going to talk to the dr this week about my husbands meds in case they could be something to do with it...

I think I'll start him on vitamins anyway they can't hurt...
    Which one's did ye get?

Thanks for the tip about not having sex 4 day prior the day 12 "or whichever day" it makes sence when you think about it.

I really do appreciate all of your advice especially as you have proven that it works...

Best of Luck with your pregnancy.
    Becks X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi Rebouche, we've also been trying for about 10 months and no joy. Cramping at the moment and eating strawberries and nuts to help ease them.
    Thinking I might go to doctor on Wednesday and see will he start the process, my cousin who works in a chemist says I should ask him to prescribe Clomid for 3 months, does anyone know if he is likely to provide this before sperm tests or HSG?
    My cycle is between 24 and 29 days so we're having a go every second night between day 8 and day 22.

• Advertisement

Hi Barbiegirl

I know how you feel as we're trying for 10 months as well. I'm not to sure about clomid but if you find out please let me know as I might ask my dr about it.
    Have you tried ovulation prediction kits?
    This will be our 1st month trying it. My cycle is between 25 to 27 days so I'm hoping OPK will let me know when I'm ovulating so we don't miss the window to conceive.
    I'm going to starting testing on day 10 which is next monday. The following weekend my husband will be away so I'm hoping we don't miss the window or it will be another month.

Keep me posted on how your getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 triing

digital ov kits are best but pricey- up north they are 20 sterling (22 Euro)- 35-36 Euro here

Hi
    I'm not sure, we started trying this month on day 7 earlier than normal, and to be honest mucus stuff looked right, and on day 12 I had a little bit of dark discharge. Could this be implantation bleeding.
    I'm actually scared to hope. Not saying anything to hubbie until period due. But as it is only now day 15 that's a long wait.
    Thanks guys and fingers crossed.

Barbiegirl not preggers. Defo going for Clomid this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 neillcm

Hey everybody,

As you can see I'm completely new to boards...stumbled across this thread by accident but I'm so glad to see it!It's nice to talk to people in the same situation.I know for me anyway trying to concieve is something I'd rather not get into with my nearest & dearest. Especially when things arent going to plan .......:(

I'm just gone 24 and my boyf and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 5mths now. For the first 2 months we were just 'seeing what happened' but keeping my dates in mind. I've a fairly bang on 28 day cycle so I thought this should have done the trick. After that got us nowhere I started taking ovulation tests...of course assuming this was a sure bet. Considering neither of us wanted to have to resort to 'taking the fun out of it' this was a fairly big step for us - one which we resorted to 'cos patience is certainly not one of my virtues!

After two months of that and what I can describe as nothing less than heartbreak( I was so sure these tests were a dead cert) we decided to go back to option 1. Mainly to try and stop me obsessing over it.To be honest I was really starting to get a bit down over it..... That was last week...only 9 more days to go til I know so here's hoping hey?;)

If nothing this month we were thinking of resorting to fertility tests.....I don't know how much longer I can keep up the wait but is this too soon???It'd be great to hear your opinions. Sorry for the long post :)

Great...now I am 2 days "late" though I did a pregnancy test 2 days before my due date and my due date...it could be just a later period though as I am certain that I am not pregnant. My sense of smell is raised and I did get bad nausea, but I know that is just my imagination...

An update on me - I first started this journey in November and got pregnant immediatly but lost our baby at 9.5 weeks, then in April I had a chemical pregnancy (around the time of hearing that someone who had swore that they were not pregnant actually was)...so was emotionally messed up for a bit...I still get upset when I see a certain celebrity who is the same stage I would have been on TV and seeing pregnant women in general gets me upset at the moment - does anyone else who has lost a baby felt that way? We plan on being away for the date our baby would have been due...miscarriages are harder than I ever imagined. Sorry for the rant - waiting to see if we are pregnant is killing me this month - I dont think I am but I have to keep my blood sugars lower than normal just in case (am a type 1 diabetic). Will let you know when I get my period.

neillcm - welcome to this thread, sorry that I wrote an opus rant! We are still trying for a baby - we tried focussing on my fertile period (though we also did it before and after with less pressure, this time we just did it every day (poor tired husband). Do not know what way we will try next time, just hoping that my period this month holds out until tomorrow as I want more sexy time with my husband! In terms of fertilityt testing I imagine that they would want you to try for longer before doing such tests but you would need to ask your doctor.

Opps, I'm pregnant again...lets hope this is not another chemical pregnancy - of course the timing is terrible...sigining off here for now and going to the other side...

Congrats Cathy Moran. Best of luck, fingers crossed and prayers being sent for your little family :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

neillcm wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

As you can see I'm completely new to boards...stumbled across this thread by accident but I'm so glad to see it!It's nice to talk to people in the same situation.I know for me anyway trying to concieve is something I'd rather not get into with my nearest & dearest. Especially when things arent going to plan .......:(

If nothing this month we were thinking of resorting to fertility tests.....I don't know how much longer I can keep up the wait but is this too soon???It'd be great to hear your opinions. Sorry for the long post :)

I was just watching something on tv a girl not much older than you was having problem's concieving she went to her gp after 6 months and was told not to panic, 6 months later still nothing. She changed her gp who sent her for tests. What i'm getting at is, i don't see any harm going to your gp now and asking for advice. Also it's recommended you have sex 3 time's a week for best results :) Best of luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Congratulations Cathy!!Best of luck with the next few months...I must try you're 'everyday' strategy as it looks like it works!!!!!!

Lalalulu - thanks for the advice. I think I might go until the 6mth mark and then maybe visit my GP...that gives me one more month of trying. We have been trying every second day up until day 14, the three times a week approach. I think we may start carrying on past day 14 for a bit and cover all angles ha ha ha!!!

The problem is I'm not sure if we're doing it right at all...We try every second day for the week before day 14 and tend to stop there...could my problem be that I'm just stopping short of the right time. I've read so many conflicting articles -some saying everyday, others every second day and then those saying that once it's after day 14 times up???

Does anybody have any tips??Like I said in my first post I'd like to try and keep some fun to the baby making process. I don't want to have to resort to thermometers and that just yet!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement