Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hi all, although im a bloke i would like to offer some advice that may be of use. It may be contrary to some of the comments here already but hopefully some of it may be of use to some people.

Despite what we are told in schools, it is as many of you know, a very difficult thing to do when couples are actually planning it. although there are books and books on the topic, when trying it really comes down to doing a few things.

Age plays a big part in fertility. Depending on what age you are will depend on how long a couple will need to be trying before a doctor will provide "next step" assistance

Re diet, health etc. Having a healthy lifestyle does help but its not the be all and end all. Its ok to have a drink while trying as long it is within moderation. Binges can affect a man big time and will reduce his potency for 2-3 days following a session.

The trying bit. It is recommended to try every 2-3 days throughout the woman's cycle. (a guy needs some time for supplies to replenish to a good level) Even when not ovulating couples should be trying. to be honest, all an ovulation kit is really good for is to tell you that you do ovulate. Its not reliable for telling you the exact moment you should try as to guarantee conception. Bare in mind that it can also takes a varying number of days from making love to the point of conception. Using the kits as an indicator as when to try for a baby, can end up you not trying at other times of the month.

Stress plays a massive part on the whole event. Many couples after months of trying start to see trying as a chore and it can become a stress and worry, therefore impacting couples ability to conceive. The act of trying for a baby should be fun!

Best of luck to all of you who are still trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chitterchatter

Im wondering has anybody here gone down the route of fertility testing??

We'd been TTC for 24 cycles now (19 months) and starting to lose hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Glittergirl

Hi all
    Myself and my husband have been trying for 2 years now. Last Sept 2007, we went to a fertility expert and we took femera and a hcg trigger and low and behold ... we got preggers!! Howerver, in Jan 2008, I had a miscarriage which was very traumatic! The Dr told me to wait for 2 months before trying again. Anyway, we tried again with a cycle of femara and it did not work. Tried a second time with femara and I am due my period any day. Have to say ... I don't think I am pregnant as I don't feel any symptoms at all (i.e. had very heavy breasts when I pregnant in Dec/Jan) so looks like it's not going to happen again. I really didn't think I'd have to go down the route of IVF. Not sure what to do now!!!!?? Any suggestions out there???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Have you tried detoxing and you both trying an organic diet for a few months ?
    I know it was something that was a hlep for a family memember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

A friend of mine tried accupuncture, She thinks it worked for her..

Best of luck.. and enjoy trying.:D

• Advertisement

Hi there Quality .. yes I've heard acupuncture is good. Maybe I"ll try that on my next cycle.

Actually my doctor arranged for me to go and have a hystero-salpingography (HSG) this morning - to declog your fallopian tubes (if necess). Anyway, did that (which is absolutely excruciating pain - but only for about 5 mins) and the doctor said that I did have some mucous blockage and it's all clear now! Maybe it was from the D&C I had in Jan?

Anyway, fingers crossed for next month as maybe my fallopian tubes are fee and ready for some action!!!

See ya.

Hi Chitterchatter
    I would suggest you get thee hence quickly to a fertility Dr. We did and we found out that my hormone levels were low. She put me on femara and hey presto, the first cycle, I got pregnant! Now ... howerver ... I did miscarry after 10 weeks, but that is not the point.

There maybe some small thing wrong and they are experts afterall.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hi there Quality .. yes I've heard acupuncture is good. Maybe I"ll try that on my next cycle.

Actually my doctor arranged for me to go and have a hystero-salpingography (HSG) this morning - to declog your fallopian tubes (if necess). Anyway, did that (which is absolutely excruciating pain - but only for about 5 mins) and the doctor said that I did have some mucous blockage and it's all clear now! Maybe it was from the D&C I had in Jan?

Anyway, fingers crossed for next month as maybe my fallopian tubes are fee and ready for some action!!!

See ya.

Ahh Glittergal, Everything seems to be all set to go for you now!!
    Try and focus on the positive.
    And enjoy all the action you can get;);)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

glittergirl, just wondering what hormones were low? what did they check?, by the way good luck on your journey, what a fab positive attitude you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

I was using first response, and they never worked for me. Only when i went to the doctor and told her that they never indicated that I was ovulating, she said try another brand (like obvious u would think i would think of that). Anyway, i went to ebay and bought a pack of about 20 there and they were only like 7 euro - a big difference from the chemist. Low and behold they work fine so going to try them for a few months. If anyone wants the sellers name they can PM me, i would recommend them.

Also, for those TTC, how many times are u doing the biz when u are ovulating? I know it only takes one go, but should i be at it like a rabbit :)

• Advertisement

Hi beaushalloe. They checked my FHS levels and they were slightly below the normal level. The femara they gave me seemingly balances this out and increases the hormones.

Good Luck!

Hi Mel123. Our doctor told us to "do the business" for 6-8 days straight from the day that your ovulate!! Can be a bit knackering!! Also, seemingly better if you do it in the mornings as the sperm is at it's best quality etc.

Good Luck!

Hi Quality. Bad news I'm afraid. Got results of husbands sperm test and his levels are very low (6million - the normal is 20million)

He is taking vit c, multivitamins etc. but it's quite a blow and we are trying to pick ourselves up from this news. Waiting to hear back from the doctor but we will probably have to go for IUI or IVF now.

Really didn't think we would have to do IVF. I've heard it can be quite traumatic, both physically and emotionally!

So there you go. Fingers crossed, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dreamers

I'm a bit late into this conversation but glad to see it none-the-less!

I too am about to embark on the ttc journey and am absolutely terrified. A number of years ago I lost an ovary and tube due to a cyst. Then I got pg last year after almost a year of ttc. I was so excited and after the first 12 weeks past thought I was on the home run. I had a beautiful little boy at almost full term but he died shortly after he was born due to a genetic condition. It was so so devastating, and is something I dont think we will ever get over.

I've since been through almost 9 months of waiting for genetic counselling and have only recently got the go-ahead to try again. We've been told we have up to a 15% chance of losing another child in the same way.

But I have to try again. I still want to have a living child so badly. Its such a long hard road to get there though. And the fear of losing another child is so great.

Hi Dreamers

Wow, you have had it hard, eh? Sorry to hear. Well chin up girl cause there is always hope. My cousin was in the exact same position as you and she and her husband had a genetic situation as well. The first child unfortunately died about 2 weeks after it was born, which they were devistated about. Howerver, there is always a silver lining. They also had a certain percentage chance of losing another child, howerver, they now have had two beautiful healthy children and are extremely happy.

So, the best of luck to you dreamers and keep on hoping. That's what I'm doing anyway!

See ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dreamers

Thanks glittergirl

That is such a lovely story. Gives me hope which I definitely need! Its so sad hearing about so many people who find it difficult to become parents...whatever the prob is. I get so envious (and angry too I must admit!) of those who seem to pop out kids with no hassle at all. But when I hear stories like that of people who've been through the mill too, I think wow they really deserve happiness.

Oh well I guess we just all have to hope we will get such happiness too someday.

Thank again

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Hi,
    I'm Aisling and I'm infertile :)
    i've got mild PCOS and rare ovulation and have been TTC for 2.5 years. I've had 2 chemical pregnancies. It's been a rough journey but we're still on the path and hoping.
    I'm doing acupuncture at the moment and waiting a while before going down the Glucophage/Clomid treatment. I tried it in February and it affected me pretty badly but it's worth it if the alternative treatments don't work first.
    Good luck to everyone.

p.s. I'm also an artist and doing portrait-style paintings about Infertility like the one below. If anyone else would like to sit for a painting for me I'd love to hear from you. I have only really done the distraught emotion side of it so far but it'll also have hopeful/aspirational pieces. I'm not making any money for it, just trying to use this experience and my abilities to maybe have an exhibition to promote awareness of Infertility.[IMG][/img]232323232%7Ffp53383%3Evq%3D3277%3E%3A33%3E992%3EWSNRCG%3D32379259959%3A8vq0mrj

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

232323232%7Ffp53383%3Evq%3D3277%3E%3A33%3E992%3EWSNRCG%3D32377%3B7%3B7%3B%3C2%3Cvq0mrj

Hi all

As I mentioned in my last thread ... we got bad news about my husband's sperm count as it was only 6 million (after washing). Anyway, he's been very good for the past month, cut out a lot of alcohol, taking vitamins etc. and low and behold .. he did a test yeaterday and the sperm count has tripled to 18 million. Hurrayyyy.

Anyway, had my first IUI yesterday and it went great. Very painless altogether. We are doing a second one today so fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mind Hunter 85

Thats Great news Glittergirl:D
    i myself have seen the affects vitamins and lifestyle changes can make a dramatic difference in Dh's sperm counts. If husbands been good for a month now you can probably expect his counts to improve even more over the next months if he keeps the good work up obviously.
    I noticed your doing back to back iui as in two in one cycle ,can i ask how far apart there being timed after the hcg injection ?
    I'm curious i've done three iui's but no doubles in one month so i'm wondering how there timed.
    Good luck to you really hope this is your lucky cycle .

• Advertisement

Hi there Asta
    Had the 2nd IUI about 30 mins ago!! Believe it not ... my husbands sperm went up again to 20million (which is suppose to be the average ... according to my extensive searches on this flammin' internet!!)

Anyway, yes this clinic does two IUI's. I got my hcg injection on Sat 23rd Aug at 1200hrs. Did my 1st IUI exactly 25 hours later, on Sun at 1200hrs and the 2nd one today, at 1100hrs (which is 48 hours after hcg trigger).

A few websites say that with hcg trigger, you should get your 1st IUI done between 24 and 48 hours. If you are doing a 2nd one, should be 12 hours apart (howerver, unless your Dr is prepared to do it in the middle of the night ... don't see how this is feasible??).

Anyway, myself and hubbie have to do the business tonight and for the next five days as well.

So Asta ... best of luck with you too. Fingers Crossed girl!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Newlifebegin

I think this thread is a great way to chat about trying to get pregnant :)

Well for the past 5 yrs myself & my husband having been trying. Dont think it will ever happen at this rate & whats more annoying is that some old friends of mine all had children & al unplanned & some not even wanted... :(

It gets me down sometimes. Tried almost everything at this point. We aren't rich or anything so going private is out of the question. We've had all the fertility testing done at the hospital & they said it'll happen when the time is right.!! Now the way I see it is fair enough saying that but aren't they always the one's who look at it in the scienctific way? (we've been told we are both FERTILE)

Now over the past year our S*X life has pretty much disappeared so not gona concieve easier now...

Open to any tips anyone has at all.....

We just both want a beautiful baby to raise & to complete us both... It's all we are missing now....

Just to be curious if anyone knows how much would it cost to go private for the IVF etc??

:o:o

Hello to NewLifeBegins

I know exactly how you feel!! It's heartbreaking every month to see AF coming!!!

Also, to get total costs and stuff about IVF, no offence to www.boards.ie because this is a great site, howerver this "Trying to Conceive" blog is very quiet and I would highly recommend you to try this site as it's a really busy site and when you log on .... you will find all the questions and stuff that you are looking for.

http://irishinfertilitysupportforums.ie

Good luck girl! Chin up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Newlifebegin

Hello to NewLifeBegins

I know exactly how you feel!! It's heartbreaking every month to see AF coming!!!

Also, to get total costs and stuff about IVF, no offence to www.boards.ie because this is a great site, howerver this "Trying to Conceive" blog is very quiet and I would highly recommend you to try this site as it's a really busy site and when you log on .... you will find all the questions and stuff that you are looking for.

http://irishinfertilitysupportforums.ie

Good luck girl! Chin up!!

Tanks so much... it is kinda quiet on this site for the infertility

Will add that link to the stickie.
    Well ladies it is up to you to make of this space what you will.
    A seperate forum was asked for but it is up to yourselves to take part and grow the community here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

A question for anyone on fertility drugs. Ive started going to make sure everything is in working order. So got my first appaointment, and they took bloods and smear test, and back in three months later. If them tests are fine they said they will check fallopian tubes. Im presuming they will tell me to come back for the results and the next step 3 months later. Also they gave me a referral letter for Mr Mel to get checked. Can i ask for fertility drugs next time i go back, or will they tell me to wait for all these tests first? If your on fertility drugs did u have to get all these tests done? Im getting a little impatient with the whole thing, and starting to lose hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tdavfc

Mel,

Most clinics won't and shouldn't give you fertility drugs before carrying out all tests. There is no point doing 3 months on clomid (a fertility drug) if both your tubes are blocked or if your husband as a very low seman result. It's a long road and ttc is all about waiting, waiting and more waiting. You will feel better about ttc when all the tests are carried out too.

Best of luck.

Mrs tdavfc

Hi everyone

I am actually Irish and live abroad and have to say .... the Irish fertility system is unbelibably slow!!!!

I had all my tests done and my husbands sperm test done and we got the results in 3 days! What the heck is this 3 months wait thingie??? For crying out loud?? Do they know that our biological clocks are ticking here???

Which fertility clinics take the longest to get the results back in Ireland?? Perhaps if you ask them to pay a bit more money, they might make a "rush" the test results or something?

Glit

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tdavfc

G'girl,

I couldn't agree more. Things are very slow with some of the fertility clinics in more ways than one. In a lot of the cases it's the backlog of patients and in other cases tests have to be carried out on certain days of your cycle. One clinic make you attend a group meeting to make sure you fully understand what's going on. This meeting is held with about 100 couples and it's explains IVF and what you should and shouldn't be doing. It's held every 2 months and you can't start an IVF cycle until you've attended. I think something like this is uncalled for. A Dr/nurse should explain what's going to happen on a one to one and couples try to keep IVF private not run the risk of running into someone at a group meeting.

• Advertisement

A lot of the tests are send to labs outside of the country :( which is why there is such a delay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement