Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

mobius42 wrote: »
    He's too busy using his Sky+ box to have time to use Twitter.

...the same George Hook that wore a black armband on RTE when the Heineken Cup coverage was moving to ... er...Sky

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

...the same George Hook that wore a black armband on RTE when the Heineken Cup coverage was moving to ... er...Sky

Did he do that...?what a tool if he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Claire Byrne in the mail, on how she was taken aback by some internet comments from listeners when she first joined Newstalk.

"Some comments can affect me.......some of the comments were so destructive, so personal and so nasty for the sake of it. I don't really understand why people get so personal when they don't know you and they make assumptions about your level of intelligence and the colour of your hair. I just think it's pathetic"

Since this is the only place I have seen Claire's radio career being discussed, it fairly safe to assume that the above was directed at this forum and particularly this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Directed at this forum? Somehow I doubt that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did anyone here mention the colour of her hair? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It could be us and we are obessed with the failings of Newstalk tbf, radiowaves forum is in the ha'penny place by comparison.

Claire if you are reading then take on board some of our views - less personal opinion less
    "the big I am" and more background reading for the topics you'll be covering the following day. The rest of the shows failings are the fault of production and managment.

• Advertisement

Directed at this forum? Somehow I doubt that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did anyone here mention the colour of her hair? :rolleyes:

I disagree, but not enough to trawl back through the 2006-07 threads to check if the words Claire Byrne and blonde bimbo were ever used in the same post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

mike65 wrote: »
    It could be us and we are obessed with the failings of Newstalk tbf, radiowaves forum is in the ha'penny place by comparison.

Claire if you are reading then take on board some of our views - less personal opinion less
    "the big I am" and more background reading for the topics you'll be covering the following day. The rest of the shows failings are the fault of production and managment.

Yes, got to agree. Claire should concentrate more on being a professional radio presenter than being a "personality". I don't think any presenter of a current affairs program should be giving their opinion on things either. The breakfast show would be much better if they didn't try to be the radio version of The Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Have to agree,90% of the stations failings lie with managment of the shows and station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

So is Ivan going to put his mark on the show...

The Ivan Yates Show

Newstalk's newest presenter has denied rumours that he asked station bosses to change the name of their breakfast programme to The Ivan Yates Show.

Speaking after his first week on the programme, which he co-hosts with Claire Byrne, Yates admitted that while the title was still under review, he had never asked for it to be re-branded to include his name.

"There is a flexibility for the management at Newstalk to review the programme's name," said the former agriculture minister. "But I didn't want it to be called The Ivan Yates Show at any stage. All I can say is that we looked at a number of programme titles including Sunrise, Daybreak and Agenda and the jury is still out on that so it might be renamed something other than Breakfast which is what it is called now."

Radio insiders had claimed that it was an impasse over the title of the programme which resulted in Yates only agreeing to an initial three-month summer stint.

However, the Wexford businessman denied this. "I didn't want to have a contract which would go too far and sour relationships. I didn't want to get involved in that sort of a contract and Newstalk didn't want to restrict themselves so we came to an agreement where we would do a contractless deal. I have other irons in the fire. It's somewhat experimental but that doesn't mean I am not committed and not going to give it my best shot but I'm not asserting that it will be a success."

The former politician admitted that the early-morning schedule was already taking its toll and this had prompted him to consider whether the job of an early-morning radio host was something he wanted to do long term.

"I will do it for a period and I will give it my best shot but I do not see myself doing this in five or 10 years' time," he said. "Have you heard of zombie banks? I'm a zombie broadcaster. If I go to bed at 8pm, I can't go to sleep and if I try and sleep in the afternoon, I can't get to sleep."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

I forgot about that! Thanks for jogging my memory. The word hypocrite comes to mind where George is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Firetrap wrote: »
    Yes, got to agree. Claire should concentrate more on being a professional radio presenter than being a "personality". I don't think any presenter of a current affairs program should be giving their opinion on things either. The breakfast show would be much better if they didn't try to be the radio version of The Sun

in Claires defense, she's obviously been given a brief, and you would have to imagine that she's sticking to it. In our defense, that is, the defense of those of us who care enough about radio to post in a forum dedicated to it, we had hoped for so much more from Newstalk. To use the oft-quoted example, you'd never hear John Humphries passing comment. And isn't that the standard we should hope for?

Claire, if you ever want RTR on this forum, contact me and we'll facilitate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

I've listened to The Breakfast Show on Newstalk since David McWilliams hosted it. I listened to Eamon Dunphy, I listened Ger Gilroy, I listened to Claire and Ger.
    I tuned in this morning and it was awful. I've had enough.
    It's Morning Ireland for me from now on. Well done Newstalk on driving your listeners away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Slaygal wrote: »
    I've listened to The Breakfast Show on Newstalk since David McWilliams hosted it. I listened to Eamon Dunphy, I listened Ger Gilroy, I listened to Claire and Ger.
    I tuned in this morning and it was awful. I've had enough.
    It's Morning Ireland for me from now on. Well done Newstalk on driving your listeners away.

I listened from the start as well but gave up months ago when I got tired of the Claire and Ger shtick. Haven't missed a bit of it. can't see myself going back either.

The best thing on newstalk apart from Off the ball (and Moncrieff from time to time) is Culture shock with Fionn Davenport and even that was dropped in favour of some right on immigration / asylum seeker issues led radio programme* which must really have pleased the advertisers as it is now gone. Whoever is in charge of the station should be sacked. We were crying out for a serious talk station to cover stuff that RTE isn't. What did we get? lowest common denominator radio that would make even the tabloids embarrassed.Talk about missing an open goal! If Newstalk continues like this then I won't be sorry to see it go. A pity as they brought some good programmes presenters through at the start, but there you go.

*Not saying that such programmes shouldn't get airtime, but this was another example of bad choices by management.

Just listening to the Breakfast show and the interview with Sr Marie Anne O'Connor from Cori about the Ryan report- and it was as if Claire and Ivan were interviewing her from different angles - like one was for one party and the other from another, and not from the same place. Ivan was pussy footing around, thanking her every second line for coming on and acknowledging how difficult it is for her to talk, and then Claire would come in, and ask why their phone lines were not open longer, like others. Then Ivan would come back and say thanks for coming on here.
    It was like a game of tag - you be the good guy and I will be the bad girl and ask the questions that you are afraid to ask.

Then another thing that I found odd, was, the interview started around 8:40am and Ivan said that there was loads of time for the interview, and that she can take her time...I have never heard this said before, should this not be said off-air? Is it now that Newstalk can't get the guests to fill their show? Or is it with Ivan's interviewing skills, they need more time?

Well maybe cos its an important issue (one thats going to change this county by the time its fully played out) they actually decided to give an item more than 3 mins before the next ad break/txt read out?

Mike - I agree with you, this should be given as much time for all to talk about on the airwaves. I just found the way that they dealt with it and well I find Ivan so unprofessional as an interviewer, it is frustrating to listen to. There is no flow or professionalism in this programme and it is now a farce. I love when you have 2 people interviewing and they work well together, and I know it is only one week, but they are just not gelling on air - I don't have examples, but when one of them makes a comment (supposedly funny), the other ignores and it just doesn't feel like they are working together to present an informative and entertaining current affairs show. Surely the Breakfast show is getting worst rather than better? Morning Ireland...here I come!

Well true enough, I don't think Yates is going to last beyond the 3 months he has signed up for (the early starts are killing him appartantly) and I have a feeling Claire Byrne is not the easist co-host in the world!

mike65 wrote: »
    Well true enough, I don't think Yates is going to last beyond the 3 months he has signed up for (the early starts are killing him appartantly) and I have a feeling Claire Byrne is not the easist co-host in the world!

Claires latest on twitter:

Ger's wedding pictures are doing the rounds. You're not allowed to see any of them.

Nice.

Are you an avid follower ;)

They gave out to me before Mike. They asked "why is it so quiet this morning"

I replied "Everyone is listening to Morning Ireland".

The reply:
    we were wondering about the twitter-calm... MI ain't worth the effort...

that was me telt! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Maybe Morning Ireland are busier... um... presenting a decent news programme to worry about tweeting.

Just a hunch.

Well the GerandClaire twitter page is now closed, there is the IvanandClaire page and Ivan has been trying to get used to twittering :rolleyes:

I like the fact that they twitter about topics that are going to be discussed, but yesterday, the page was all about Claire losing her Iphone at Ger's wedding!

TBH - great twitter to them on MI!

robo wrote: »
    Well the GerandClaire twitter page is now closed, there is the IvanandClaire page and Ivan has been trying to get used to twittering :rolleyes:
    !

Is that a spoof? what's with the er er stuff?

edit: yep :) it's a spoof

http://twitter.com/account/profile_image/ivanandclaire?hreflang=en

Well I thought it was Ivan taking the pi55 out of his 'Err's' but now that you mention it, it maybe a spoof!

Also I noticed now the picture is the one of Claire & Ger, with Ivan's head replacing Ger's! So yes it is possibly a spoof.

From what I heard this morning , even at this early stage, Newstalk must know they have made a mistake. Something, or more to the point someone, is going to have to give.

It reminds of the early 90's when Ian Dempsey left the 2fm breakfast show and Maxi took over. She did the collective heads of the nation in to such an extent that Ian was promptly brought back.

Anyone catch the self aggrandising promo for Keanes programme? Spare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah. I really, really can't stand that little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah. I really, really can't stand that little man.

Hey! He's a rare example of an annoying little man...

The rest of us are nice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

DMC wrote: »
    Maybe Morning Ireland are busier... um... presenting a decent news programme to worry about tweeting.

Just a hunch.

You have something there DMC.

Howssoeverananyways!!

What do the IT nerds of today and their ilk want.??

Check the aviation forum, once the IFE is good they don't give a fcuk.

The chattering classes want all this shíte so don't dismiss the Newstalk emphasis on useless dross that only the chavies are interested in.

they are aiming at a specific target market, and it's not the punters who listen to MI;)

SUN, Star Mirror merchants .. thems the people they wants;);)

Uhmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

they are aiming at a specific target market, and it's not the punters who listen to MI;)

SUN, Star Mirror merchants .. thems the people they wants;);)

Whoever they are aiming at they are not doing a good job as their figures are crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement