Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The HSE are actually holding back the test results so they can be revealed "exclusively" on Lunchtime with Eamon Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

After all the crap about the Health famine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Is your sarcasm detector not fired up yet today Mike?

:o

Still too bloody early for me, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Why are the HSE exclusively giving Newstalk information - Mary Harney never used to give them interviews. I wonder were there new alliances made after Brenda Power was dropped from the morning time?

• Advertisement

Blank-Facepalm.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Of ad breaks on Newstalk, did I just hear an entire ad break taken up the "publicans of Dublin" or am I just going completely mad??

You did, I heard that yesterday. Desperate times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Heard the same myself...publicans are really desperate to get us going to our local pub.
    Do you reckon Dara gets a free pint in every pub he goes into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I think a show is in trouble when Claire Byrne constantly rips the pi$$ out of a show on after her show. Poor Tom can't catch a break.

• Advertisement

I play a little game with myself, how many seconds will elapse before Dunne mentions an item of clothing? Its rarely more than 30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I play the same game with how long before the next ad break... Often I make a drinking game out of it. I'm usually locked by 9.30am!

So then Ivan Yates confimed as replacement for Ger Gilroy, talk about missing the point. Its the other wan who causes 90% of the distress.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0430/1224245682787.html
    First David McWilliams, then Eamon Dunphy and most recently Claire Byrne and Ger Gilroy have all failed to make a significant dent in the opposition. The latest audience figures show 65,000 total listeners during the course of the Newstalk breakfast show compared with 437,000 for Morning Ireland.

From mid-May, Cronin is replacing Gilroy with Ivan Yates, the former Fine Gael minister who also finds time to run a chain of betting shops. Says Cronin: The new show will be faster paced with a crisper delivery of news and a much stronger business focus, particularly in earlier segments, and it will be more authoritative/

/Our ambition is to double our listenership in the next 12 months.”

Well if they cut the crap then clearly they are going in the right direction but that also means they will have to be able to get the right calibre of interview subjects or those who are after hard news discussion will still stick with RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

I agree, Gilroy is taking the rap for what was presumably an editorial decision to become the radio equivalent of GMTV in the morning. They better cure Yates of his prediliction for constantly saying eeeehhhh!!!

Claire Byrne will now have to pretend to know what she's banging on about for longer periods of the show. They should rename it 'What I think' with Claire and Ivan or 'In my opinion'.

I'd like to find the press quotes from Claire Byrne when this all reared up a few weeks ago, she was practically packing Ger's bags for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

mike65 wrote: »
    So then Ivan Yates confimed as replacement for Ger Gilroy, talk about missing the point. Its the other wan who causes 90% of the distress.

you're right
    they're cutting the wrong person, claire byrne really brings the show down, the only reason she's being kept on is because she's the only female presenter of a main show on the weekdays. i listened on monday morning from 630-700 and the whole half hour consisted of reading out a few newspaper headlines, bantering with herself, as gilroy was off, and then a chat with the business guy sandwiched in between about 4 ad breaks.

they also need to cut tom dunne, it's 3 hours of talking about various items of clothing, his children and laughing after every sentence, i rarely get to hear it but when i do it's just terrible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

So were now for Gilroy..?

Weekend sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Bad decision. He was definitely the best out of the two. I think McWilliams was the best out of the lot of them and had a half decent show.
    Sometimes the show now is very painful to listen to, all the text crap that they are pushing every two minutes in unbearable. I used to like the papers slot with the guests just before eight o'clock but they done away with to. I don't listen nearly as much as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Weekend sport?

It is clearly his comfort zone though, you can sense how at ease he is when the football segment comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Weekend sport?

I think it would be a retrograde step for him to go back to sport. The other sports presenters might get a bit miffed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I have it! move Ger Gilroy to weekend sport and then move Gerry 'what the hell are you saying' o' suillivan to the 9-12 slot with Tom Dunne. Yes you got it the Tom and Gerry show. That would surely double the figures in a year.

You might as well hire Jim Jones and David Koresh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Congrats NT managment, you are an absolute joke. They clearly don't have a clue where they are going with the station. It was a beautiful dream having a second talk station but they have recked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Was Ger let go or did he walk?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Was Ger let go or did he walk?

I think he is staying on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

According to The Mail Ger is moving to an editorial role on the show.

Here's a quote from the new managing Director Frank Cronin about his overall vision for NewsTalk - " We want to be the people's radio station, we want to be in touch with our listeners and not to operate as an out-of-touch public service station like RTE."

"Our aim is to become more accessible to our listeners all over the country by broadcasting from locations all around Ireland; we want our listeners to be part of us"

He cited Tom Dunne's 'gentle' broadcasting style on the afternoon show as one of the highlights - " I think Tom has made huge steps with his show. There is a lot of goodwill towards him among listeners, and we really want to harness that, and to extend that goodwill to other parts of our schedule as well"

What does any of this David Brent-style management speak mean? If this is typical of their new boss, all doesn't bode well for Newstalk.

Well bearing in mind Tom Dunne is on at 9 am I can only wonder if it isn't David Brent himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

deadhead13 wrote: »
    He cited Tom Dunne's 'gentle' broadcasting style on the afternoon show as one of the highlights - " I think Tom has made huge steps with his show. There is a lot of goodwill towards him among listeners, and we really want to harness that, and to extend that goodwill to other parts of our schedule as well".

:):rolleyes::cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

We want to be in touch with our listeners, at 30c a text and if anyone would like to get in touch about getting in touch please text us now. Jesus wept. How more out of touch can you get than turning a reasonably listenable morning show (pre Claire Byrne) into the twittering (literally) mess it is now. Cant wait for eeeeehhh Ivan and Claire bantering, that'll be worth getting up early for!

deadhead13 wrote: »
    According to The Mail Ger is moving to an editorial role on the show.

Here's a quote from the new managing Director Frank Cronin about his overall vision for NewsTalk - " We want to be the people's radio station, we want to be in touch with our listeners and not to operate as an out-of-touch public service station like RTE."
    "Our aim is to become more accessible to our listeners all over the country by broadcasting from locations all around Ireland; we want our listeners to be part of us"

He cited Tom Dunne's 'gentle' broadcasting style on the afternoon show as one of the highlights - " I think Tom has made huge steps with his show. There is a lot of goodwill towards him among listeners, and we really want to harness that, and to extend that goodwill to other parts of our schedule as well"

What does any of this David Brent-style management speak mean? If this is typical of their new boss, all doesn't bode well for Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 refindsearcher

I had heard that they were going to offer Late Night Live to Gilroy but because of the media attention they're just leaving him as he is...for now...as for the rest of Newstalk...

I like Tom Dunnes show. I think Joe and Tess are great producers for that type of show...the only thing that I don't really like is when Joe presents...it's a bit uncomfortable...but with the new cut-backs, Newstalk aren't allowed bring presenters in from the outside so...that's that....

I think Eamon Keane is alright...very self involved in a Jeremy Kyle kind of way....mentions that its "his show" quite a lote which is a bit annoying....

Can't stand Moncrieff...Its just terrible...really cringey radio...can't hack it at all....

I dont even bother listening to "Hookie"....

Sports shows are great....

Saturday Edition with Brendan O Brien is a brilliant show...too bad that cut 30 mins off it for that STUPID EMERGENCY yolk...what a waste of time....don't even get me started on Orla "fake laugh" Barry....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement