Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I had heard that they were going to offer Late Night Live to Gilroy but because of the media attention they're just leaving him as he is...for now...as for the rest of Newstalk...

I like Tom Dunnes show. I think Joe and Tess are great producers for that type of show...the only thing that I don't really like is when Joe presents...it's a bit uncomfortable...but with the new cut-backs, Newstalk aren't allowed bring presenters in from the outside so...that's that....

I think Eamon Keane is alright...very self involved in a Jeremy Kyle kind of way....mentions that its "his show" quite a lote which is a bit annoying....

Can't stand Moncrieff...Its just terrible...really cringey radio...can't hack it at all....

I dont even bother listening to "Hookie"....

Sports shows are great....

Saturday Edition with Brendan O Brien is a brilliant show...too bad that cut 30 mins off it for that STUPID EMERGENCY yolk...what a waste of time....don't even get me started on Orla "fake laugh" Barry....

You think Moncrieff is terrible and O'Brien good?!

And Eamon Keane is alright?!

Jesus..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Claire Byrne is supposed to be Newstalk's Miriam O'Callaghan I think. She doesn't have the personality for a morning radio programme and was more suited to tv3 news bulletins. Newstalk should really try to capitalise on the upcoming elections - with Ivan isn't there a bit of bias?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Poacher turned gamekeeper or in this case gamekeeper turned poacher could be very useful for Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Hey anyone listening to George Hook and Eamon Keane discussing the unveiling of
    George Lee
    for Fine Gaels new candidate to take the Dublin South seat left vacant after the death of Seamus Brennan? It was quiet funny - Geroge was all in favour of the new face on Fine Gael's table. But what I could get from Keane is that he was not of the same mindset and was looking for Hook to be against this move.
    Also, did I hear right - Hook first said that he didn't get approached by parties and then said that he was aproached by FineGael...I am a little confused!

Keane sounds like a FFer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I heard that discussion, cringeworthy

Hooky going on about how Shay Brennan and other people were "unqualified" to run in an election...

This just after he said he wouldnt run in Europe because it was too much of a risk, and if he lost he'd be "unemployed"

My **se.

And the Hooky-monster's qualifications are.....?

Of course Keane kept banging on about how he was bringing it to us first and how he's been given the news by top level FG sources.

I would break my radio but i cant afford a new one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Who presented the Tom Dunne show today?

Dunne annoys me, he's lightweight.

The new guy was an improvement.

Does anyone remember the name of the book he was discussing?

It sounded good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

It sounded good.

Don't know - I have stopped listening to News talk for this show. I might tune into the repeat later on.

I hope it's worth it :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jimmy the Weed

I'm sure it won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Davstrom

It sounded good.
    It was presented by Joe Donnelly he produces the show.
    Don't know the book though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Was listening yesterday (I think) to Tom Dunne's show and he was interviewing a biographer of Pink Floyd, twas funny and very interesting.

He really should have stuck with music, maybe increasing the amount of interviews and talking more on Pet Sounds, twud have been far better radio than his show now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I was kicking myself I missed most of that. No podcast.... I agree with you - he's better as a music presenter. He did better standing in for Ray D'Arcy because there was more music to play and he had a load of people to bounce off and banter with.

Tom Dunne wasn't on air yesterday he's off. Huge Floyd fan so yep a pitty I missed it but then as I can't stand Dunnes NT show I was always destined to miss this.

Meanwhile, Newstalks morning programme seems to be running out of news. Ger clocked off at 8.54 having filled two mins with texts after the needless markets update so its fair to say the show ended at no later than 8.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I heard that myself this morning...I was almost at work and thought I was running later than I was...I got in by 9am. Is it because he doesn't have Claire to chat to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

mike65 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Newstalks morning programme seems to be running out of news. Ger clocked off at 8.54 having filled two mins with texts after the needless markets update so its fair to say the show ended at no later than 8.50.

Heard that as well, laughable, and the business update? All of 20 seconds? I got the impression they had to do it because of a sponsorship thing

Gillroy fillin' like crazy, by my watch they finished up and went to an ad at 8.54, after an 8.50 ad break

I'm tuning it out of the car radio

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Was listening yesterday (I think) to Tom Dunne's show and he was interviewing a biographer of Pink Floyd, twas funny and very interesting.

Damn. I would have really liked to hear that. Wonder which biographer it was?

Barry Miles? Cant be Nicholas Schaffner as he's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

mike65 wrote: »
    Barry Miles? Cant be Nicholas Schaffner as he's dead.

Is he? Didn't know that. Could be Mark Blake who wrote Pigs Might Fly, or even the guy who wrote The Rough Guide To PF, or even Nick Mason.

It was Mark Blake who wrote that Pigs Might Fly book last year. I'm gutted I missed the vast majority of the interview. Why the hell can't they podcast it? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Tom Dunne is back again:(

He's just been blathering on about Bouncing Bombs and some film and some dog for ages. Tom should realize that the least interesting thing you can talk about on the media...is the media...all broadcasters should understand that btw.

In describing the dog, he succeeded in using the N-word twice. Now I appreciate that WAS the name of the dog but there is a convention in media these days that if the word HAS to be used you just say "N-word".

I'm not really a politically correct person at all, I just like making sure that people feel comfortable. I think that was unnecessary.

Additionally, has anyone noticed an obsession with WW2 on NewsTalk lately?

I feel uncomfortable about it when the British do it, it's somewhat understandable as it was their "finest hour", all the same it grates on me a bit when they do it.

Can't we all move on?

I'm gonna listen to podcasts during the Dunne slot from now on.

He's just not in touch.

• Advertisement

Didn't hear his (for obvious reasons) but I presume he was talking about the new version of Dambusters by Peter Jackson where the business about the dogs name is pressing in this PC age. Thats a topic for discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

giftgrub wrote: »
    Heard that as well, laughable, and the business update? All of 20 seconds? I got the impression they had to do it because of a sponsorship thing

Gillroy fillin' like crazy, by my watch they finished up and went to an ad at 8.54, after an 8.50 ad break

I'm tuning it out of the car radio

Deleted it from my mp3 player presets a year ago. I haven't missed it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

What's the story with everyones mate Eamon Keane he's off again today, is he sick or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

He's probably doing some dangerous undercover journalism which will be a breaking news story on his show next week.

Something risky and exciting anyway.

Munster played at the weekend, didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Dunno if its been mentioned before but the "The Emergency" sketch on the breakfast show might actually be funny of the impressions sounded anything like the intended people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Fionn Davenport has just announced that Culture Shock is being moved to a thursday night slot 10 - 12. Maybe there are other live programmes plan for the rest of the weeknights.......no more Eamon Keane repeats, hopefully.

Thats good news, means I'll actually start to listen to it. :>)

Well it makes sense. Whatever about putting Tom Dunne's show on at that time, airing a current affairs program with news that's up to 10 hours old (and often out of date) is nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The NT website has the 10-12 slot filled with Talking History/Sunday with Norris/ Down to Business. Guess they're all repeats, but still a step in the right direction if you ask me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement