Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Sigh, Tara in for Sean again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Chris's contrived over enunciation of TH's is out of control, every time he says health it sounds like "HELLLLFFFFFF"... then he forgets to force it from time to time and it just sounds ridiculous.

It seems to be spreading throughout the station too, there was some dizzy cow newsreader the other day sticking a TH into places it didn't belong, she kept referring to 'the Thaoiseach' throughout the whole day. Is uncle Denis sticking them all on groupon deal elecution lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Chris's contrived over enunciation of TH's is out of control, every time he says health it sounds like "HELLLLFFFFFF"... then he forgets to force it from time to time and it just sounds ridiculous.

It seems to be spreading throughout the station too, there was some dizzy cow newsreader the other day sticking a TH into places it didn't belong, she kept referring to 'the Thaoiseach' throughout the whole day. Is uncle Denis sticking them all on groupon deal elecution lessons?

Whisper, whisper........ That is the correct pronunciation for Taoiseach!

brooke 2 wrote: »

no it isn't...not much else to add

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Like almost all Irish words, pronunciation differs from one Irish-speaking region to another. In none of them will you find that the pronunciation of "Taoiseach" begins with anything like a "th" sound. There are a few examples here: http://www.forvo.com/word/taoiseach/#ga You will note that even in Scots, the sound is still very much a hard "t".

• Advertisement

Like almost all Irish words, pronunciation differs from one Irish-speaking region to another. In none of them will you find that the pronunciation of "Taoiseach" begins with anything like a "th" sound. There are a few examples here: http://www.forvo.com/word/taoiseach/#ga You will note that even in Scots, the sound is still very much a hard "t".

To my ears that Scots pronunciation has a 'th' sound.

'Tá tú' - 'taw too' or 'thaw thoo'?

Was taught to use the latterr; have heard the former - it always sounded strange to my
    ears.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's not much point arguing about what your ears are hearing.

The "th", voiced dental fricative (/ð/) or voiceless dental fricative (/θ/) are almost unknown in the Irish language. What you may be hearing (again, I cannot argue about what your ears are hearing) is that with the pronunciation of "Taoiseach", some dialects pronounce the first vowel cluster as "a-o-ee", or at least, that's as close a description I can give it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was taught "taw thoo".

I always get highly amused when people get a bee in their bonnet about th's. To me, as long as I understand what they mean, I could give a tos whether they put a th at the thstart thof thevery thword.

To my ears that Scots pronunciation has a 'th' sound.

Was taught to use the latterr; have heard the former - it always sounded strange to my
    ears.

for the example you gave it's neither but it's somewhere in between the two, its just an easy way to teach but neither are accurate.

for Taoiseach the first syllable is closer to Tuí (Irish for hay)

I couldn't give a rashers about th's much either except when it is on national airwaves and coming from a pretentious and a totally inept so called journalist who is a Dubliner unwilling to use speech that is totally natural and understandable to us all without the over the the top and unnecessary enunciation.

FFFFFFFFFANKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Ronnie Delaney gives me a pain in my H*le, so full of himself it's unbelievable, so bitter about the "lack of recognition" he's received form the Irish Meeja for the last 57 years...

Not attractive traits, and would actively discourage me from donating to whatever charity he is representing this week...(He didn't sound too sure which one it was himself either, was more interested in talking about the "hard done by Ronnie Delaney"..

"Did ya bring it with ya Ronnie"?

"What, my Ego?...Yes, I always carry it with me""

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Robert2012 wrote: »
    Ronnie Delaney gives me a pain in my H*le, so full of himself it's unbelievable, so bitter about the "lack of recognition" he's received form the Irish Meeja for the last 57 years...

Not attractive traits, and would actively discourage me from donating to whatever charity he is representing this week...(He didn't sound too sure which one it was himself either, was more interested in talking about the "hard done by Ronnie Delaney"..

"Did ya bring it with ya Ronnie"?

"What, my Ego?...Yes, I always carry it with me""

Actually said, "I had no problem with fame, because I wasn't an egotist"!!!!!!

Sad he was such a bo**ix: he inspired nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyones Newstalk stream been down all morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Yeah same with today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

lol these loud West African Women don't seem to understand that they don't have an automatic entitlement to Houses and services.

This vox pop has backfired on Healy, there'll be little sympathy from the listeners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

lol these loud West African Women don't seem to understand that they don't have an automatic entitlement to Houses and services.

This vox pop has backfired on Healy, there'll be little sympathy from the listeners.

Maybe if Denis O Brien news and media paid back some off the hundreds of millions of bank debt they had written off, there might be more money for asylum seekers.

Isn't it great to have friends in Government!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I hardly ever listen to the first half hour of the Right Hook because I'm in work.

On the odd occasion i do hear it, i find it tremendously amusing that it's just half an hour of George telling us all what's what, unopposed.

Like a debate, but with only one person in it.

The Right Hook never pretended to be a neutral show, everyone should know at this stage Hooks ideologies drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Oh, I know. Sure he needs no excuse to tell us it's news, comment and OPINION.

I'm just saying i think it's quite funny to dedicate half an hour of your own show to effectively have a bit of a ramble on the topics of the day.

I say this as a fan of George, if not necessarliy all of his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I thought I heard the last of the 'comes with a health warning' line but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sean's taken issue with a few texters over the past few days pulling him up on his liberalism, and that if you say anything vaguely anti-feminist (or as anyone else would see it, pro-equality) he has a little hissy fit on it, telling people to go do their own research on what they're saying. it's getting annoying that he won't take a little bit of criticism without feeling the need to put down the texter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

nothing new in that.

he was at the same when i stopped listening about 5 years back. he hides it better than most broadcasters, but he's deeply entrenched in his own world view and is completely intolerant of those that challenge it.

prevailing attitudes like that are why our media are so woeful at coping on to whats going on in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Do Newstalk always put NPR stuff in Talking History's old slot on a Sunday? Learned a lot from fake accent yanks about aliens and the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Right Hook never pretended to be a neutral show, everyone should know at this stage Hooks ideologies drive it.

That infuriating right wing Yank he has on it grinds my gears...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Michael Graham? Puerile. Dipstick on a pig. A total waste of air.

He was exceptionally annoying today during the 'debate' on climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

I wonder what has happened to the technology slot on TRH? Last week they said that they got holidays mixed up, this week we're told that the slot will be used to cover the budget, something must have happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Do Newstalk always put NPR stuff in Talking History's old slot on a Sunday? Learned a lot from fake accent yanks about aliens and the universe.

Is that the TED Talks program? I listened to the first one, but got pissed off at the sound of the presenters voice and the irritatingly loud and distracting music stings interrupting the documentary.

For all we like to diss RTE, they manage to do documentaries without all the bells and whistles (literally) and just let the story they're telling stand for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

McDave wrote: »
    Michael Graham? Puerile. Dipstick on a pig. A total waste of air.

Sometimes I find myself agreeing with a (very) small portion of what Cal Thomas comes out with, but Graham is a complete tw*t purely stuck in there for controversy.

Diarmuid Gavin on PK today.........gggrrrrrrrrr!! :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

I8A4RE wrote: »
    I wonder what has happened to the technology slot on TRH? Last week they said that they got holidays mixed up, this week we're told that the slot will be used to cover the budget, something must have happened...

The bit where they talk about the multiple phones they own for 20 minutes? I could live without it. They could easily have it as a once-a-month thing. In fairness to the guys presenting it, it's a difficult segment with Hook and his constant interruptions and the way he makes a virtue of being hopelessly out of touch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement