Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I have to say that Dave's commentary tonight was great! Felt like I was there at the game as oppose to being at home with a hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can't abide the fella. I especially detest the times when he joins Hook on Friday's. I just find him to be a smug opinionated loudmouth who's way out of his depth.

That just the way I perceive him, I'm sure in reality he's a pleasant chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

just to let people know who may not have heard, Tom jones, van morrison and Bobby womack are playing in marlay park on the 25th of august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The parachute man is painfully boring

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

risteard7 wrote: »
    just to let people know who may not have heard, Tom jones, van morrison and Bobby womack are playing in marlay park on the 25th of august

Really? Someone should have said. And tell me, any word on a madonna gig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Very tabloid stuff this morning. Chris was interviewing Roisin Shortall and, doing his best Jeremy Paxman impression, pressed her on her relationship with James Reilly. Did she have confidence in the minister?

So she, as any politician would do, repeated that they would have to work through the issues.

The headline at 8.30? "Roisin Shortall says on Newstalk Breakfast that she has no confidence in Minister James Reilly."

Jesus wept. I heard the interview and thought she had dodged the questions sufficiently enough, but sure don't let that get in the way of a good headline...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seemed fair enough.Failing to answer is as good as a no I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

kneemos wrote: »
    Seemed fair enough.Failing to answer is as good as a no I suppose.

But its not a no, people can perceive it in whatever way they choose. Yeah, it was typical politician bullsh*t speak, but newstalk decided to interpret it as a big "no, i don't have confidence in him" and treat it as fact in order to create a more sensationalist headline.

I'd say Shortall was hopping mad when she heard the headline. Not that Im too upset over that or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

telekon wrote: »
    Very tabloid stuff this morning. Chris was interviewing Roisin Shortall and, doing his best Jeremy Paxman impression, pressed her on her relationship with James Reilly. Did she have confidence in the minister?

yeah i thought it was very tabloidy, it seems to be politically incorrect to put across the argument that the nanny state should mind their own business about our drinking habits and keep their nose out of our private lives. Chris focused on some percieved personality clash, rather than making the point that people on the poverty line may have to pay more for food if the govt. ban the practise of using alcohol as a loss leader. I didn't hear him ask why she wasn't focusing on stamping out anti-social public drinking, instead of people who drink at home. Chris needs to apply some criticial analysis to his interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Fionn <I'm sexy and I know it> Davenport filling in for Moncrieff today. Would somebody please give him a one-way ticket to Timbucktu and be done with it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Fionn <I'm sexy and I know it> Davenport filling in for Moncrieff today. Would somebody please give him a one-way ticket to Timbucktu and be done with it? :rolleyes:

My radio always smells of "smug" when he's on....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

George is an embarrasment in his debate with Michael Graham. What's his problem with crinimals being jailed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I enjoy listening to the weekly slot with Michael Graham

You can get it on podcast too

It's something different on Irish radio and Graham always has something to talk about

Not saying I agree with all his views, just I like listening to his slot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

mikemac1 wrote: »

It's something different on Irish radio and Graham always has something to talk about

Problem with Graham is that a really articulate pro-republican voice is needed on the Irish airwaves, but he does not fit the bill for me. Trying too hard to be Limbaugh whenever I listen.

The disproportionate amount of pro-democrat voices on Irish radio is a bit scandalous, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Is Jim Glennon ever on the show on Fridays anymore?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

mikemac1 wrote: »

+1 on this.

I mean I rarely, if ever, agree with him 100%, but I enjoy listening to his opinions on stuff. He gives a different perspective I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Goose81 wrote: »
    Is Jim Glennon ever on the show on Fridays anymore?

Nah, not for ages. George has been doing by himself for the past couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Problem with Graham is that a really articulate pro-republican voice is needed on the Irish airwaves, but he does not fit the bill for me. Trying too hard to be Limbaugh whenever I listen.

The disproportionate amount of pro-democrat voices on Irish radio is a bit scandalous, tbh.

I dunno, the main problem I'd have is the fundamental lack of difference between republicans and democrats in the first place really. Not much more than the difference between FF and FG etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

ferretone wrote: »
    I dunno, the main problem I'd have is the fundamental lack of difference between republicans and democrats in the first place really. Not much more than the difference between FF and FG etc

You are very correct.
    The GOP & Dems are very much the same.

So people like Graham tend to push to the edges in order to get their voices heard.

I do enjoy his slot though, it is quite unique on Irish radio.

George's knowledge of history is quite patchy but they are a good foil for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Always found Grahams spot entertaining, while would not agree with most of his views - its good to hear a view from USA that is not mainly a democrat one.

Does Hook guest on Grahams show weekly as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Looks like I'm in the minority - I can't stand the guy and can't change station fast enough when he comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

VOMIT inducing shyte on hook right now.

i havent heard arse licking like this in an age, and all for "the SO intelligent" ...

...micheal macdowel.

the list texts read out has to be heard to be belived.

how is this man not still in politics queries one, george doesnt seem to know the answer isnt that politics here isnt to his liking.

its cause he got kicke out on his ARSE by the electorate !

**** im actually angry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did anybody hear that... "Sorry Jonathan, I think you're on to the wrong David".. :D

Healy is an excellent broadcaster, where have they been hiding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I can't listen to the Breakfast Show with Norah Casey on it.
    She sounds like a lecturing schoolteacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Heroditas wrote: »
    I can't listen to the Breakfast Show with Norah Casey on it.
    She sounds like a lecturing schoolteacher.

The breakfast show is getting on my nerves now. They use the exact same lines and jokes right through the show. How many times today that Casey comment on the Madonna concert and how it reminded her of her son playing cowboys and indians in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Does Norah have a mouthfull of bonbons while on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Does Norah have a mouthfull of bonbons while on air?

She's considerably richer than yow!

153941d1261666497-thought-counts-christmas-time-0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Floppybits wrote: »
    The breakfast show is getting on my nerves now. They use the exact same lines and jokes right through the show. How many times today that Casey comment on the Madonna concert and how it reminded her of her son playing cowboys and indians in the back garden.

Does she think it's back in the 60's? Kids haven't played cowboys and Indians for half a century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

George Hook now completely slating Barack Obama and saying "good riddance, bring on Romney!"

Every other week Hook is singing the praises of Obama and the Democrats. What a joke of a broadcaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement