Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭robbe

Sage advice from Nora this morning - if everyone got off their arse like her and learned Mandarin then we'd be sorted! As unfathomable as it seems they've managed to make the breakfast show worse. Maybe if Chris went on holidays next week they could replace him with Bobby Kerr - the dream morning team!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

robbe wrote: »
    Sage advice from Nora this morning - if everyone got off their arse like her and learned Mandarin then we'd be sorted!

Haha, that was the exact moment I switched over. Honestly don't think I'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I feel like I missed something almost epochal in scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

mike65 wrote: »
    I feel like I missed something almost epochal in scale.

it's kinda like radio rodeo. how long can you hang on before you're forced to switch. if only that fr stone's father could ring in and tell them how terrible it is.
    it's only terrible. terrible terrible terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh it was bad man.

i hadnt a clue who they had on at first when i turned it on. my first thought was "whos the posh bird ?" as at first i thought it was that other perenial newstalk numptie andrea pappin.

but no they actually found someone worse than her, which is some fecking feat.

its actually staggering to think this was the same show hosted by dunphy a few short years ago.

never seen a station shift so far away from my tastes so quickly. no wonder the lads that could legged it to RTE.

dennis is coming on strong big time now.

should make the coverage of his upcoming court case VERY interesting !

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's honestly unlistenable now. I'd listen to Hector over the breakfast show now.

Hector!

Ah now! Let's not go crazy altogether! :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

It's honestly unlistenable now. I'd listen to Hector over the breakfast show now.

Hector!

Let yourself go. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The only part of the newstalk breakfast that I listen to is part of the 9-10 slot, which is on when John Murray is on Radio 1. But two things:

1. Who is this Nora Casey person? She's feckin' dire. And they have this appalling chat between the two of them after nine where they give us their thoughts on the stories of the day. I'M NOT INTERESTED!

Yer man Chris is so-so, and with a better co-pilot (or Captain?) he can be tolerable. With a worse one, he's dreadful.

2. This morning they had some lad on who's six (:eek:) year old daughter was at Bruce Springsteen with him - she was called up on stage. They had some crappy youTube clip on (couldn't hear fúck all) followed by an interview with yer man, and then, Chris asks to speak to the daughter - Click! rush to the radio to tune in local radio (Galway Bay FM) where they had an interview with Tom Parlon :mad: I don't think my radio knows how lucky it was to escape being fúcked out the window today ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

serfboard wrote: »
    Who is this Nora Casey person?

She's one of the dragons. Newstalk's CEO's stated vision for the station is "to deliver a private sector, pro-business viewpoint that respects dynamic people”. In other words, people like good ol' Denis. It's never a bad idea career-wise to reflect your boss's self-image back at him. The problem is the people they choose to represent these "dynamic people" i.e., Booby Kerr and Norah Casey. The result - crap radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Nothing wrong with a radio station pursuing a private sector, pro-business, and economically liberal agenda. It's the listener that will decide whether they will listen to it or not. Better to be open about this, than the type of subtle agenda being perused out in Montrose, all the while supposedly being a beacon of impartiality and public-service broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Sergeant wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a radio station pursuing a private sector, pro-business, and economically liberal agenda. It's the listener that will decide whether they will listen to it or not. Better to be open about this, than the type of subtle agenda being perused out in Montrose, all the while supposedly being a beacon of impartiality and public-service broadcasting.

nothing wrong with it at all. but when you've got two people in a studio who shouldn't be let near one, then even the least minded business person can tell you it's going to be a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

nothing wrong with it at all. but when you've got two people in a studio who shouldn't be let near one, then even the least minded business person can tell you it's going to be a disaster

Oh I'd fully agree. Doesn't matter what agenda the station is trying to push, if the calibre of presenter at times isn't far ahead of what you'd hear on college radio. I've tried to listen to the Breakfast Show on a number of occasions since Yates left, but always find myself going back to Morning Ireland. It's still the template.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This guy on Moncrief doing the parenting slot is really rather irritating... whatever happened to the other guy that used to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭GSF

Any coverage on the Supreme Courts decision on the case relating to the awarding of the mobile phone licence on Newstalk last night or this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

GSF wrote: »
    Any coverage on the Supreme Courts decision on the case relating to the awarding of the mobile phone licence on Newstalk last night or this morning?

The newsreader yesterday evening was reporting that Denis O'Brien welcomed the decision. Struck me as odd at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

EchoO wrote: »
    She's one of the dragons. Newstalk's CEO's stated vision for the station is "to deliver a private sector, pro-business viewpoint that respects dynamic people”. In other words, people like good ol' Denis. It's never a bad idea career-wise to reflect your boss's self-image back at him. The problem is the people they choose to represent these "dynamic people" i.e., Booby Kerr and Norah Casey. The result - crap radio.

Was Casey ever on during Ivan's tenure? With the not so subtle sexist vibes he gives off, I don't he'd take too kindly to a loudmouth career women. :D

Ahahahahahahahaha!!

Moncrief you absolute legend.

Listen back if you missed it, just before the 3:00 news. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ahahahahahahahaha!!

Moncrief you absolute legend.

Listen back if you missed it, just before the 3:00 news. :D

Enlighten us and tell us what was just said or done

neris wrote: »
    Enlighten us and tell us what was just said or done

I didn't want to spoil it since a lot of it has to do with the way Sean read it out, but he read a text:

"To all the Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, etc sniggering at the Jehovas Witnesses, your religions are also complete bollox."

Then he just cut to the news. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Breakfast with The Matron again next week:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Did Nora suggest we dig up her grandmother and shift her?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭robbe

Not sure about that but when she reads out the competition for the honey cocktail sausages with worcestershire sauce it sends shivers down my spine....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Jasus there is some "fitness guru" on with Chris and god help him but Chris seems to know more than him about eating well and exercise. Poor Chris had to carry him through the interview and lead him through some subjects There seems to be an increasing number of these random "experts" popping up on newstalk selling their book, products or services. I presume it's an advertising thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

God Nora is sh1t. Bring back Mr. Coleman

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What is it with George Hook?? With the breaking news that Peter Darragh Quinn and Seán Quinn Jnr have been sentenced to 3 months prison over contempt, Hook is chatting to Bobby Kerr about coffee. You couldn't make it up. rolleyes.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I like Hooky but he can be a pain in the arsé at times.

What could have been an interesting slot about philosophers on this mornings show was ruined by him talking about himself and his failed business all the way through it.

I don't know why they bothered to ask a guest to join him. He hardly got a word in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Lapin wrote: »
    I like Hooky but he can be a pain in the arsé at times.

What could have been an interesting slot about philosophers on this mornings show was ruined by him talking about himself and his failed business all the way through it.

I don't know why they bothered to ask a guest to join him. He hardly got a word in.

He seems to be repeating himself ad nauseum these days. I've lost count of the number of times he's told us that story of the lovely Ingrid being made to cut the grass at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He's a pain in the arse about 95% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He wears his personal failings as a badge of honour nowadays.
    While there's no shame in talking about failed business ventures or mental breakdowns, it gets a bit tedious when they're brought up at every opportunity.
    I lost the last shreds of respect for him over the Sunday Tribune incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I used to hate dave mcentyre doing the commentry shouting and roaring anytime someone got within 20 yards of goal, but i think he shouts less now and improved im starting to like him doing it now.

please keep ken early away from commentry though he is awful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement