Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are Dabs.ie like recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

I can never understand for the life of me why dabs.ie do not sell tv's . Before dabs.ie existed there was only dabs.com and you could purchase all those products including the tv's . must say puts me right off dabs...

And don't get me started on argos.ie who won't show any electronics on the irish website. I think they are afraid that everyone will notice the huge discrepancies in the prices when compared with the uk site. disgraceful..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The explanation is in one of the stickies in the forum and its the WEEE directive.
    Play, Dabs & Amazon don't sell electronic goods in Ireland because of it because they have to base in Ireland to drop off your old gear.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

1st time dads.ie last time dabs.ie buyer. I placed an order on Monday 6th/oct, I paid 12.66 for post and its Friday still hasnt come. Its 3 small items.... I sent an e-mail, Auto-reply... still waiting on a real reply. Rang Parcelfore was told Monday next week. For that amount on postage expect min 3 days.

Having come on here and seen that Parcelforce hands over to GLS I was horrifed, last time I used them the state of the box and Im not joking it was ****ed around the place, thankfully it was a PC case with alot of foam protection.

Anyways I'll be off to Komp or memoryc.ie which I HIGHLY recommend either one of these places... you can.. you... know... ring up and talk, ask info and get help. what the hell is with dabs and no tel. numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

1st time dabs customer i bought a Garmin 255w off dabs over a month ago. Item arrived within 3days. Box in perfect condition. It was the cheapest by miles compared to Komplett, expansys etc and of course argos who were charging 260 euro for the same item :eek:. Delighted with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

return customer to dabs4work.ie. Placed an order for an hard drive listed as in stock and paid via paypal on Monday morning @ 11am. Received an email Wednesday @ 6PM saying the item had only shipped now.

complete waste of time to save 20€ over the komplett price who would have delivered it by now.

tried emailing and calling numerous times and just got the automated service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

I bought a 1.5 TB hard drive off dabs the other day for about 170 Euro plus postage of €12 (couldn't find one anywhere else). It arrived in reasonably quick time -- about 3 to 4 days. The only complaint I would have is that they were fairly clueless when it came to answering technical queries about their products. Otherwise I was happy enough with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Another smooth transaction.

Bought after business last Friday. Arrived half an hour ago.
    Very happy again. Now to try out the new modem. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I NEVER get a tracking number when I order from dabs.ie

I don't get it by email, and it doesn't appear in the control panel type area when I'm logged in to the dabs.ie website

At the moment I'm waiting on a printed I ordered last friday morning, part of the fun of ordering things online is watching the progress (we all know thats true)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

The biggest issue I have with Dabs is the whole "for the first few deliveries we will only deliver to your billing address" rubbish. I'm only at home late in the evening so that's not an option for me, without the hassle of trying to re-arrange pickups or something). I made an order there recently, then cancelled it almost immediately afterwards when I noticed Komplett had it for the same price and will deliver it to my work address.

The problem is that I'll never get over the "first few deliveries" as I won't buy anything from them until they fix this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Placed an order for a few bits including a hp laptop. All were in stock when the order was placed. Paid with paypal and the payment is showing as pending in my paypal account. On my dabs account it was showing awaiting awaiting psp authorisation. And now this has appeared :mad:
    One or more items on your order are unfortunately not available from stock in our warehouse at this point in time.

However, we are expecting a delivery from our suppliers to replenish our stock and where we have a date for this delivery, we will show it against the product in question on our website. This date will be the best and most up-to-date information we have, though it may be subject to change. Unfortunately, we're unable to give a more accurate date than this.

As soon as free stock is available, it will be allocated to your order and your order status will be automatically updated.

If you don't wish to wait and would like to change the out-of-stock item for another product, we recommend that you add the new product to your order before removing the old one. This helps to avoid us processing a half completed order which may cause you further inconvenience.

Many thanks for your patience.

Have emailed them twice ...... no reply and as for the live chat it is showing busy for the past two days.

If I press the cancel button on the bottom is the whole order cancelled or just the items not in stock? No point in paying almost €13 delivery for a few disks etc. Anyone know if they have a telephone number as it says they dont on the website but just on the offchance ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

The biggest issue I have with Dabs is the whole "for the first few deliveries we will only deliver to your billing address" rubbish. I'm only at home late in the evening so that's not an option for me, without the hassle of trying to re-arrange pickups or something). I made an order there recently, then cancelled it almost immediately afterwards when I noticed Komplett had it for the same price and will deliver it to my work address.

The problem is that I'll never get over the "first few deliveries" as I won't buy anything from them until they fix this issue.
    I wouldn't call it rubbish. It is a security measure.

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Ordered stuff from them at the start of the year and it went missing. After waiting a set period of time (to ensure it wasn't delayed) I was offered the choice of my money back or replavement goods - I went with the replacement goods, which arrived a couple of days later.

Sent another order in a couple of weeks ago. Was aprehensive about doing so, but figured they'd initially been on a new setup in Ireland, so would give them a 2nd chance. They arrived quickly and (as I find to be the case with Dabs), well packaged - -especially important as it was a variety of HDD's.

Previously I wouldn't have reccomended them. Now I reckon they're OK by me.

The only real gripe I have with dabs is the €12.60 postage on tiny items. It is as if they only want big orders and dont want to know you if you require a €25 battery for a camera you bought from them a year earlier. Unless of course, you are willing to pay 50% more for postage. I am not sure if the representative from dabs.ie on here has addressed this complaint before, but I know I am not alone in bringing it up.

Bought a Ipod Touch 2G 32GB last month. Used a different credit card than last time. Got email saying credit card did not match address, even though it matched exactly. Person on the online chat put me through to accounts. Sorted in a few mins. The credit card checking company dabs uses is flawed. Sorting it out service was excellent.

Even though it was a valuable item; €12.60 was an excessive delivery charge, and double the price of UK customers.

Boo

boopolo wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it rubbish. It is a security measure.

Boo

No other on-line retailer that I know of does it. They use Verified By Visa to verify that the card is being used by its owner. If anybody did steal a card to use it for an on-line purchase, they could use that delivery address to trace them. It seems an extremely excessive option. I've bought computers worth over €2,500 on-line from other retailers, using my work address as a delivery address without any problem. Dabs could've got those sales, except they make life deliberately awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If anybody did steal a card to use it for an on-line purchase, they could use that delivery address to trace them.

Thats an old way of getting away with credit card fraud ,fraudsters would order thousands of euro of stuff to a rented home for a week.

No other on-line retailer that I know of does it. They use Verified By Visa to verify that the card is being used by its owner. If anybody did steal a card to use it for an on-line purchase, they could use that delivery address to trace them. It seems an extremely excessive option. I've bought computers worth over €2,500 on-line from other retailers, using my work address as a delivery address without any problem. Dabs could've got those sales, except they make life deliberately awkward.
    Several companies do. It is the banks that make them do it (lyods for one). When you hear of credit card fraud, a lot of it is referring to items odered online and delivered to alternative addresses (usually a house full of flats). Some years ago there was €millions of dollars of goods delivered to USA prisons using stolen credit cards. See GOOGLE

Maggy I do sympatise with you. I hate having to have somebody wait in my house. If I cannot I leave a note and ask for it to be left next door.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I bought a 1.5 TB hard drive off dabs the other day...

You meant the seagate? I want to get that myself, indeed it is the only 1.5TB on the market at the moment, but there are too many bad reviews (bad firmware, freezes computer for 30 seconds at a time, needs flashing or the write cache disabled) has your worked ok?

boopolo wrote: »
    Several companies do. It is the banks that make them do it (lyods for one). When you hear of credit card fraud, a lot of it is referring to items odered online and delivered to alternative addresses (usually a house full of flats). Some years ago there was €millions of dollars of goods delivered to USA prisons using stolen credit cards. See GOOGLE

Maggy I do sympatise with you. I hate having to have somebody wait in my house. If I cannot I leave a note and ask for it to be left next door.

Boo

But surely if they use an account that is marked Verified-By-Visa (or whatever the Mastercard equivalent is), they have enough plausibility to assume that the person ordering is the person who requested it? Especially if VBV has some way of indicating that it isn't the "first time it's used" or anything (so they didn't have to activate the card).

The fact of the matter is - Komplett have equivalent prices on most goods that I was looking at, and don't have draconian delivery practices. Therefore they get the business, and Dabs can do without. I know this means that it means I can never do business with Dabs, as I'll never be in their "inner circle", but I guess it's something I will have to live with (there are plenty of other retailers).

And it isn't just the bank that is making them do this -- given that they support PayPal as one of their payment providers, and I have bought items from eBay in the past using my work address without any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But surely if they use an account that is marked Verified-By-Visa (or whatever the Mastercard equivalent is), they have enough plausibility to assume that the person ordering is the person who requested it?
    It's just another password though, and a lot of people write down their passwords and PINs and keep them with their cards. VBV doesn't verify that the address your delivering to is associated with the cardholder either, so even though it is extra security for the shop, it's not complete security.

The fact of the matter is - Komplett have equivalent prices on most goods that I was looking at, and don't have draconian delivery practices. Therefore they get the business, and Dabs can do without.

Dabs have made the decision that fraud will cost them more money than the loss of potential customers. Lots of other online retailers do this too.
    And it isn't just the bank that is making them do this -- given that they support PayPal as one of their payment providers, and I have bought items from eBay in the past using my work address without any trouble.

It's never the banks that make companies do this, but it may well be the banks policies. Without PIN or signature verification of an order (which all online orders are lacking) the retailer takes a great risk in accepting the payment, as it could well be reversed on them if it turns out the cardholder didn't authorise it. Some companies add in the extra security of delivery to the cardholder address only, to protect themselves against this. It's a sensible precaution, if not annoying for the customers. However, customers are protected against fraud, whereas businesses are not.

jor el wrote: »
    It's just another password though, and a lot of people write down their passwords and PINs and keep them with their cards. VBV doesn't verify that the address your delivering to is associated with the cardholder either, so even though it is extra security for the shop, it's not complete security.

No - but then neither are PIN or signatures.
    Dabs have made the decision that fraud will cost them more money than the loss of potential customers. Lots of other online retailers do this too.

What other retailers? Looking at various major shops -- Dell don't, Apple don't, Komplett don't, eBay don't, Pixmania don't, Amazon don't, CD-WOW don't, Play.com don't. I can't think of any other retailer that does it. And it's not just low-cost items -- you can buy a Mac Pro from Apple using your work address as a delivery address, no questions asked...
    It's never the banks that make companies do this, but it may well be the banks policies. Without PIN or signature verification of an order (which all online orders are lacking) the retailer takes a great risk in accepting the payment, as it could well be reversed on them if it turns out the cardholder didn't authorise it. Some companies add in the extra security of delivery to the cardholder address only, to protect themselves against this. It's a sensible precaution, if not annoying for the customers. However, customers are protected against fraud, whereas businesses are not.

In that case, Dabs should change their web-page to suit -- it currently says (emphasis mine).
    dabs.ie wrote:
    For security reasons, we can only send an order to the address where your credit or debit card is registered for your first few orders. This is to prevent fraud and is in your interest.

It isn't in my interest, it is in Dabs' interest. Also, how do you purchase something from Dabs say with 3V vouchers or something? They don't have a billing address as such (as far as I'm aware?)

• Advertisement

In fairness ,no one is telling anybody they should buy from DABS.
    It's completely up to the customer ,nothing to argue about really:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ilo

Personal experience with Dabs, first time order was a pain cause they would only deliver to my billing address, second order is turning out to be a nightmare cause i am trying to pay with a card that does not have my name with it. I can understand they are trying to be secure but there is such a thing as over doing it and they are way past that. I will probably shop with them again, the reason being the only time i do is because there is a 100 euro price difference, however when products are the same price or the price difference is small i avoid them like the plague.

My advice, if you can get it somewhere else for the same price, do so, i don't think any other company will give you that much hassle. To be honest I would nearly expect someone from dabs to turn up at my door asking me if i really live there and to take a dna sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What other retailers? Looking at various major shops -- Dell don't, Apple don't, Komplett don't, eBay don't, Pixmania don't, Amazon don't, CD-WOW don't, Play.com don't.

In the case of eBay, it's up to the individual seller, and some of them will only ship to Paypal Verified addresses. There are other sites that only ship to the cardholder address too. The ones that ship to any address take an extra risk in doing so.

It isn't in my interest, it is in Dabs' interest.

It is in your interest, if I'm using your credit card to buy stuff. Although you'd be protected against fraudulent use of your card, it would be a lot of hassle for you. Dabs on the other hand would not be protected at all, and may take the hit for the items they sold, with no recompense.
    Also, how do you purchase something from Dabs say with 3V vouchers or something? They don't have a billing address as such (as far as I'm aware?)

You have to give an address when you apply for 3V, and your card is sent there. This is the registered card address in that case.

From my own experience, I ordered a laptop for a friend at work who didn't have a credit card. It was my first order, and I had it delivered to work, no problem. This was back in May or June this year. Another guy here just ordered a laptop too. First order and got it delivered to work. Again, no problem with delivery. Not sure how they apply that restriction, but it doesn't appear to be universal.
    ilo wrote: »
    Personal experience with Dabs, first time order was a pain cause they would only deliver to my billing address, second order is turning out to be a nightmare cause i am trying to pay with a card that does not have my name with it. I can understand they are trying to be secure but there is such a thing as over doing it and they are way past that.

Using a card in someone else's name is always going to scream fraud. This would not be over doing it, and you wouldn't complain that Dabs questioned it, if the card was in your name, and I was the one trying to use it, would you?

The worst problem I had with Dabs was GLS. They lost the laptop I had ordered, and it took an extra week to sort out, then a few more days for delivery. GLS are the reason I don't use Dabs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The worst problem I had with Dabs was GLS. They lost the laptop I had ordered, and it took an extra week to sort out, then a few more days for delivery. GLS are the reason I don't use Dabs myself.

I don't seem to have any trouble with GLS now, after years of me abusing them, they must all have my name, address and grid co-ordinates tattooed on the back of their hands, or covered by a POI on their satnavs.

During the last year or so, I've had several items delivered from DABS, with surprisingly no problems.

Got a 22" monitor last week for €115 from dabs and UPS(tracking) delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Just got the confirmation email from dabs that my package was sent yesterday. I assumed it would be sent by courier however it has been sent by Royal Mail (letter post-first class).

Should I be afraid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

i have just ordered from dabs
    first time

usually order from komplett but Dabs item was way too cheap

for the same item.
    Manafaturers website price: 129.99
    Komplett Price 73.54
    Dabs Price: 47.54

2nd item
    Manafacturers Website price: 18.99
    Komplett price: 14.74
    Dabs: 10.91

cant complain as of yet
    will kepp updated on progress

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Can't see anything on the site but does anyone know when DABS recommend you get your last order in before Christmas? Assuming the item is in stock, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

got my stuff at the door 20 mins ago
    perfect box and packaging
    NO COMPLAINTS wit DABS whatsoever

Thumbs up from me, ordered friday here monday morning...

Advertisement