Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashless Society

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 STEVO B

djpbarry wrote: »
    I've honestly never encountered anything like that, and I do travel a fair bit. The only time I've been asked for a credit card at check-in is if I made the reservation with said card.

I do know of some hotels who don't accept cash for security reasons (understandable), but they will accept virtually any other form of payment.

Security reasons eh...

Its all a push to the cashless society.

Oh, it'll be safer with credit cards. Give that a few years then that'll be deemed as not safe enough, a chip in the arm will then be the only option...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

STEVO B wrote: »
    Security reasons eh...

Its all a push to the cashless society.
    Would you be comfortable working on reception in a hotel near say, Dublin Airport, with several thousand euros in your possession? Having worked in a convenience store when I was younger (and having witnessed two robberies there), I know I wouldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ok did you miss the bit about me havin over a grand of 'my own money' in my pocket at the time, wouldnt bother me in the slightest how much ws in the till, ya get rolled ya get rolled, if you work for a hotel they have insurance against that kinda thing.

its like - not everyone is an acceptable risk for a Creditcard so now we have debit cards to 'cater' for this end of the market, once they've got you in then the next push will be the chip in the arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We are all conditioned into the necessity of having Credit Cards. Try approaching a Ryanair counter in Dublin Airport with a ball of change asking for a cheap flight. :D

Would you be comfortable working on reception in a hotel near say, Dublin Airport, with several thousand euros in your possession? Having worked in a convenience store when I was younger (and having witnessed two robberies there), I know I wouldn't.

Its the way its been for years (keeping cash).
    There has always been robberies. Big deal.

If a person asked me for the money of a hotel I was working at I would have to problem handing it over.

Its not as if using credit cards are going to make it any safer, we are all well aware of the possibilites of credit card fraud.

I dont have a credit card and would be well pissed off with any hotel refusing my business on this basis.

I have no doubt it will get to the stage where nearly everything will require the credit card as oppose to cash, thus forcing everyone into using this form of payment. Reducing public freedom and privcay.

I dont want the government knowing what I spend every penny on...

• Advertisement

Coinstar is like a big monster that conveniently "eats" all your loose change at your own expence and credits the amount to various smart cards. It will take in cash up to the value of E999.99 a time.

These machines are globally marketed and placed about supermarkets, shopping malls and airports. I just saw a brand spanking new one installed at the Tesco at the Dunlaoghaire Shopping Centre!!!! :eek: Will it be compatible with the Oystercard and the Luas Transit Smartcard.. No Doubt it will!!!

They actually have the cheek to charge you for this service !! talk about financing a tool that will eventually help rid the world of all cash and usher in the Big Brother "666" all in one RFID cash card !!!! :eek: [url] http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/a-home[/url]

Some of the insentives to make you want to dispose you of this cash. http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/A1-3

They actually have the cheek to charge you for this service !!

Oh yes, the oldest trick in the book.

If it was for free people might get spooked and suspicious, but by charging people for a service they think they are actually getting something of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why not charge? Do both of you work for free? And if it's so terrible to use one of these machines, then just go to a bank and get it done for free.

humanji wrote: »
    Why not charge? Do both of you work for free? And if it's so terrible to use one of these machines, then just go to a bank and get it done for free.
    Try dropping a ball of loose unassorted cash made up of foreign and old coins at a bank counter and you will soon be told what to do with them!! Have you ever waited at a bank counter and the person in front is dropping off money bags? It certainly pi&*&&es me off!!

These machines should be subsidised by those who are trying to push these smart cards i.e. the big ones Visa and Mastercard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

Try dropping a ball of loose unassorted cash made up of foreign and old coins at a bank counter and you will soon be told what to do with them!! Have you ever waited at a bank counter and the person in front is dropping off money bags? It certainly pi&*&&es me off!!

These machines should be subsidised by those who are trying to push these smart cards i.e. the big ones Visa and Mastercard.

How anyone can think that coinstar machines are part of some big conspiracy boggles the mind. :eek:

Some bright spark saw a niche for a service like this and decided to fill it.

I'm one of those people who hates fishing around in my pocket for change, so I generally pay with notes which means my bedside locker contains the equivalent nickel and tin deposits of a small country! :D

There's no way I'd be bothered counting it all into bags and bringing it to my local bank, so I think the machine in my local shop is a great idea. I have no problem paying a percentage of the coins' value to pay for the service.

If I didnt, I'd just end up leaving it there on my locker and never getting any money for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

what do these coinstar machines give you for your change, cash that you can spend, or 'credit' in some form or other that you have comited to spend with some corporate institution, remember that if you put $20 on yer bus pass then you have given them the interest acrued on it between the time you deposit it and the time you spend it

Dirty Dave wrote: »
    How anyone can think that coinstar machines are part of some big conspiracy boggles the mind. :eek:

Some bright spark saw a niche for a service like this and decided to fill it.

I'm one of those people who hates fishing around in my pocket for change, so I generally pay with notes which means my bedside locker contains the equivalent nickel and tin deposits of a small country! :D

There's no way I'd be bothered counting it all into bags and bringing it to my local bank, so I think the machine in my local shop is a great idea. I have no problem paying a percentage of the coins' value to pay for the service.

If I didnt, I'd just end up leaving it there on my locker and never getting any money for it.
    Thats exactly what Coinstar wants people to do, i.e. collect all your coins from around the house, put them into Counstar which will gradually take them all out of circulation!!! Soon there will be no coins left and you will be pin pointed everywhere you use your shiney new smart card. How convenient!! Note that it dose not refund you for foreign or dated coins. I suspect that these machines are subsidised by the world bank to collect all global coins for scrap!!

Thats exactly what Coinstar wants people to do, i.e. collect all your coins from around the house, put them into Counstar which will gradually take them all out of circulation!!! Soon there will be no coins left and you will be pin pointed everywhere you use your shiney new smart card. How convenient!! Note that it dose not refund you for foreign or dated coins. I suspect that this machine is subsidised by the world bank to collect all coins for scrap!!

You are suspecting and assuming a lot there. I seriously doubt that my local spar destroys the coins - they just bring them to the bank.

These machines have been around for YEARS - still using cash.

You are suspecting and assuming a lot there. I seriously doubt that my local spar destroys the coins - they just bring them to the bank.

These machines have been around for YEARS - still using cash.
    Not the type recently deployed in Tesco that offers to top up your plastic debit cards :eek:

They also have the audacity to call your top up credit "cash". This is anything but cash! It is a monitary system that is subtly imposed on us that a third party will have an interest, record and access to every single transaction made.

Not the type recently deployed in Tesco that offers to top up your plastic debit cards :eek:

They also have the audacity to call your top up credit "cash". This is anything but cash! It is a monitary system that is subtly imposed on us that a third party will have an interest, record and access to every single transaction made.

Who is imposing it on you exactly?

If you don't want to use it, don't use it.

If you want cash, go to a different machine.

If you want cash without paying a charge, go to a bank.

Who is imposing it on you exactly?

If you don't want to use it, don't use it.
    I certainly wont use it because I value my privacy with cash but for how long more, just like the ATM more and more of these machines will appear and eventually less and less cash will be in circulation.
    If you want cash, go to a different machine.
    What different machine, i.e the amusement arcade? :confused:
    If you want cash without paying a charge, go to a bank.
    This machine dose not give out cash and I dont want to hand in my cash because I still want my privacy. can you not see my point :confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thats exactly what Coinstar wants people to do, i.e. collect all your coins from around the house, put them into Counstar which will gradually take them all out of circulation!!!
    How exactly can a private company take coins out of circulation unless they simply hoard them themselves? What do they have to gain by sitting on a mountain of metal with almost no intrinsic value?

Seriously, the CTs are getting more and more hysterical and paranoid.

You're asked to sort out the coins before hand so that you don't spend all day holding up the queue. Why should these machines be subsidised? If you don't want to use them, then don't. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the world is not out to get you. As was pointed out, someone saw a niche and decided to make themselves some money. Simple as that. No ulterior motives to destroy civilisation in preparation for the end of days.

I certainly wont use it because I value my privacy with cash but for how long more, just like the ATM more and more of these machines will appear and eventually less and less cash will be in circulation.
    What different machine, i.e the amusement arcade? :confused:

This machine dose not give out cash and I dont want to hand in my cash because I still want my privacy. can you not see my point :confused:

Not sure I get your point about ATM's? They give out cash.

A different machine - not one in tesco. As I said in my earlier post, the one in my local spar gives you a receipt, you go to the counter as you normally would to pick up your smokes or whatever and they give you the cash equivalent of the receipt.

Plus, your arguement about not wanting to hand in your cash at a bank because you want to keep your privacy is self defeating. Before these machines, if you wanted notes for your coins, you had to go to a bank.
    Now, you still have that option but you can also go to spar (or wherever does it and hands out cash instead of credit) and do it for a small fee anonomously. Where is your loss of privacy?

Not sure I get your point about ATM's? They give out cash.
    Yes they do but not coins! They also do not have the facility to transfer coins to smart card credit.
    A different machine - not one in tesco. As I said in my earlier post, the one in my local spar gives you a receipt, you go to the counter as you normally would to pick up your smokes or whatever and they give you the cash equivalent of the receipt.
    I havent looked at the new one in tesco closely yet, it was only just being commissioned. If you look at their website, Their first generation machines would give you a credit slip that would be redeemed at checkout. The next generation machines are designed to top up smart cards which would include smart transit cards (Oyster), credit and laser cards. These are the very machines I am on about

Plus, your arguement about not wanting to hand in your cash at a bank because you want to keep your privacy is self defeating. Before these machines, if you wanted notes for your coins, you had to go to a bank.
    Now, you still have that option but you can also go to spar (or wherever does it and hands out cash instead of credit) and do it for a small fee anonomously. Where is your loss of privacy?
    Your lossa of privacy begins when the 2nd generation machine that issues you with credit to your cash card and you go around the city leaving a digital foot print behind on every single purchase transaction.

• Advertisement

Where are these 2nd generation machines on the site? I can't see where it says it.

From what there is on the site you pour your coins into those machines and get a voucher to redeem your money from the checkout. You're also given the option to get the value of the money put into a voucher card, not a smart card.

Are you just assuming that smartcards are going to be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You're also given the option to get the value of the money put into a voucher card, not a smart card.

That would let me turn my anonymous cash into anonymous e-money, right?

Are you just assuming that smartcards are going to be used?
    Enevitably

bonkey wrote: »
    That would let me turn my anonymous cash into anonymous e-money, right?
    If you have a smart card / cash registered in your name your electronic footprint is left in the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If you have a smart card / cash registered in your name your electronic footprint is left in the machine.
    How do I register cash in my name?

Where are these 2nd generation machines on the site? I can't see where it says it.
    Its called the "Madison kiosk".

How do I register cash in my name?
    You need your debit/credit card.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm still curious how this company is going to take cash out of circulation.

Enevitably

So, you are just assuming.

And if you choose to use your smart cart on the machine.
    Its called the "Madison kiosk".

The Madison Kiosk is the same as the other counting machines. It has the added bonus of directly debiting your account if you want it to. Otherwise, you get your receipt and go up to the cashier and get your money.

• Advertisement

The Madison Kiosk is the same as the other counting machines. It has the added bonus of directly debiting your account if you want it to. Otherwise, you get your receipt and go up to the cashier and get your money.
    It can count up a ball of your change and credit that amount to your credit/debit card or alternitvely it can issue with a credit receipt that you can hand up at checkout. The Madison Kiosk is favoured by banks and financial institutions because they free up staff time. Many banks subsidise the charge because it saves time with them so you get this service done FOC.

Advertisement