Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashless Society

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Our government's top leaders have sold us into financial and economic slavery.
    In fairness, the people of this country are not children - the government is not there to tell them what or what not to do with their money. Nobody forces someone to get a €400,000 mortgage that they cannot afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Eero New

djpbarry wrote: »
    In fairness, the people of this country are not children - the government is not there to tell them what or what not to do with their money. Nobody forces someone to get a €400,000 mortgage that they cannot afford.

They certainly behave like children.

And a 400,000 mortage is the only option for anyone who wants a house of their own. Even that would buy a fairly standard house.

Why do you love the government so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Eero New wrote: »

Not as much as you.

You seem to need someone who controls the world so you can blame all of societies ills on them.

Diogenes wrote: »
    Not as much as you.

You seem to need someone who controls the world so you can blame all of societies ills on them.

Someone does control the world and is the cause of much of societies ills.

As for needing them, I would prefer if they went back to their inbreeding and left people like me alone.

And a 400,000 mortage is the only option for anyone who wants a house of their own.
    Here's over 35,000 properties on sale in Ireland right now for €350,000 or less:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=350000&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&refine=Refine&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=sale&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=sale

The reason house prices soared in Ireland is because Irish people were prepared to pay so much for property. When people became less-prepared to fork out so much cash for sub-standard houses, the prices began to drop. It's simple economics.
    I don't recall saying that I did. I just think it's rather foolish to blame all of society's ills on the government, thereby absolving citizens of any responsibility for their own actions.

• Advertisement

Here's over 35,000 properties on sale in Ireland right now for €350,000 or less:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=350000&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&refine=Refine&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=sale&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=sale

The reason house prices soared in Ireland is because Irish people were prepared to pay so much for property. When people became less-prepared to fork out so much cash for sub-standard houses, the prices began to drop. It's simple economics.
    I don't recall saying that I did. I just think it's rather foolish to blame all of society's ills on the government, thereby absolving citizens of any responsibility for their own actions.

The price is all relative. That price in somewhere like dublin would buy a kip.

That website seems to be a piss take in itself, daft.ie.

The reason prices soared was because estate agents set up nothing better than a racketeering scheme. People will pay the rate because they want some sense of security, but that dosent make it right.

Its like the oil scam, the price of petrol has gone through the roof, apparently on the back of increased source prices, yet the likes of BP are reporting profits like never before.

Take the Inuit peoples from the antartcia, the westeners came in and slapped a culture down on them. Persuaded them to live in log cabins, which were nowhere near as efficient as the igloos. So then the inuits have to go and buy oil to heat the bloody things, therefore getting caught in the capitalist system.

Typical government, create the problem then sell the solution. Oldest trick in the book...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Someone does control the world and is the cause of much of societies ills.

As for needing them, I would prefer if they went back to their inbreeding and left people like me alone.

Promise me you'll never change casey....

The price is all relative. That price in somewhere like dublin would buy a kip.
    :rolleyes:

Right. Here's over 1,800 properties available in Dublin right now for €350,000 or less:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=c1&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=350000&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&refine=Refine&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=sale&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=sale

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're problem is with this? If you think property in Ireland is too expensive, then don't buy it.
    People will pay the rate because they want some sense of security, but that dosent make it right.
    People paid the rate because, in many cases, (in my opinion) they were idiots borrowing far more than they could afford. Estate agents had nothing to do with it - they can’t force people to buy houses. People are responsible for their own personal finances - they can't start looking for someone else to blame when it all goes pear-shaped.
    Its like the oil scam, the price of petrol has gone through the roof, apparently on the back of increased source prices, yet the likes of BP are reporting profits like never before.
    The price of oil is largely dependent on supply, demand (which is sky-rocketing) and the price that people are prepared to pay. Again, if you think oil/petrol is too expensive, then don't buy it, or at least cut back on it.
    Take the Inuit peoples from the antartcia, the westeners came in and slapped a culture down on them. Persuaded them to live in log cabins, which were nowhere near as efficient as the igloos. So then the inuits have to go and buy oil to heat the bloody things, therefore getting caught in the capitalist system.
    Right...

Not really sure what European colonisation has to do with this discussion. And I presume you were referring to the Arctic, rather than Antarctica?

:rolleyes:

Right. Here's over 1,800 properties available in Dublin right now for €350,000 or less:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=c1&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=350000&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&refine=Refine&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=sale&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=sale

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're problem is with this? If you think property in Ireland is too expensive, then don't buy it.
    People paid the rate because, in many cases, (in my opinion) they were idiots borrowing far more than they could afford. Estate agents had nothing to do with it - they can’t force people to buy houses. People are responsible for their own personal finances - they can't start looking for someone else to blame when it all goes pear-shaped.
    The price of oil is largely dependent on supply, demand (which is sky-rocketing) and the price that people are prepared to pay. Again, if you think oil/petrol is too expensive, then don't buy it, or at least cut back on it.
    Right...

Not really sure what European colonisation has to do with this discussion. And I presume you were referring to the Arctic, rather than Antarctica?

What if i want to buy a home but i feel it is too expensive/inflated??

What if I want oil to heat my home but it is too expensive??

You seem to be condoning the capatialist system ripping off the consumer. Typical 'go getting' opinion of the greedy wannabe corporate climber.

What if i want to buy a home but i feel it is too expensive/inflated??
    Then don't.
    What if I want oil to heat my home but it is too expensive??
    Switch to an alternative fuel or else make your home more energy-efficient, thus requiring less fuel to heat it.
    You seem to be condoning the capatialist system ripping off the consumer. Typical 'go getting' opinion of the greedy wannabe corporate climber.
    Yeah, I'm a "go-getting" capitalist :rolleyes:

People usually get "ripped off" with their own consent. For example, people complain about the price of cars and the price of petrol in Ireland, yet the rate of car ownership in this country is increasing dramatically. People KNOW that certain things are over-priced, but, for whatever reason (and it's rarely necessity) they buy them anyway.

• Advertisement

Then don't.
    Switch to an alternative fuel or else make your home more energy-efficient, thus requiring less fuel to heat it.
    Yeah, I'm a "go-getting" capitalist :rolleyes:

People usually get "ripped off" with their own consent. For example, people complain about the price of cars and the price of petrol in Ireland, yet the rate of car ownership in this country is increasing dramatically. People KNOW that certain things are over-priced, but, for whatever reason (and it's rarely necessity) they buy them anyway.

I think your getting consent and coercion mixed up.

People need house to live in. Do you agree?

People need to heat the bloody things. Do you agree?

Many people need a car. Do you agree?

Everyone is forced to pay the prices charged by these racketeers becasue they are the providing intrinsic tools for survival.

You seem like a right little dictator, you and a few of the henchmen here would make quite the government.

People need house to live in. Do you agree?
    Of course they do, but they don't NEED to pay €400,000+ to get one.
    People need to heat the bloody things. Do you agree?
    Yes, but there are different ways to achieve this and plenty of ways to increase efficiency, as I have already said.
    Many people need a car. Do you agree?
    Are you going to list off EVERY commodity you can think of?

Many people WANT a car, fewer people NEED one. Again, dependency on oil can be reduced by buying a more economical car, a concept that seems to be lost on many Irish drivers.
    Everyone is forced to pay the prices charged by these racketeers becasue they are the providing intrinsic tools for survival.
    Nobody is FORCED to pay for anything.

You are implying that people are being forced into the lifestyles that they lead, which is nonsense. People make conscious decisions to live where they live, work where they work and shop where they shop. They may convince themselves that they don't have a choice, but they do.

Of course they do, but they don't NEED to pay €400,000+ to get one.
    Yes, but there are different ways to achieve this and plenty of ways to increase efficiency, as I have already said.
    Are you going to list off EVERY commodity you can think of?

Many people WANT a car, fewer people NEED one. Again, dependency on oil can be reduced by buying a more economical car, a concept that seems to be lost on many Irish drivers.
    Nobody is FORCED to pay for anything.

You are implying that people are being forced into the lifestyles that they lead, which is nonsense. People make conscious decisions to live where they live, work where they work and shop where they shop. They may convince themselves that they don't have a choice, but they do.

I wouldnt call a roof over your heat and some heating a 'Lifestyle'.

These are basic physiological needs, which you seem to think people are not entitled too/should pay a small fortune for. Do you work for the UN by anychance? Your attitude certianly seems to follow their script.

I wouldnt call a roof over your heat and some heating a 'Lifestyle'.
    Right... :rolleyes:

The vast majority of Irish people are trying to support lifestyles far in excess of merely having a roof over their heads.
    These are basic physiological needs, which you seem to think people are not entitled too/should pay a small fortune for.
    I never said anything of the sort. In fact, it is you who seem to think that people HAVE to pay vast sums of money just to get by, which is absolute nonsense. Ireland is an expensive country, but, as I have said already, the cost of living has risen so dramatically because people have been prepared to pay far too much for too little. This is something that you seem unwilling to accept, that somehow people are being forced into buying everything that they see.

Right... :rolleyes:

The vast majority of Irish people are trying to support lifestyles far in excess of merely having a roof over their heads.
    I never said anything of the sort. In fact, it is you who seem to think that people HAVE to pay vast sums of money just to get by, which is absolute nonsense. Ireland is an expensive country, but, as I have said already, the cost of living has risen so dramatically because people have been prepared to pay far too much for too little. This is something that you seem unwilling to accept, that somehow people are being forced into buying everything that they see.

Im talking about the reasonable man who merely wants a roof over his head and some fuel to heat the place. Why should they have to pay extortionate amounts for this 'privelege'.

True, there are many living above their means, who would think of themsevles as being above demanding some quality and value in the marketplace. But sure arn't most people champing at the bit to be part of 'New Brand Ireland'. This lifestyle choice they have made will soon have its veil lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭tunaman

bonkey wrote: »
    Well, lets see.....

If everyone was implanted, and if those implants were monitored 24/7, here's what I'd do:

1) Go somewhere out of range / shielded against RFID tracking. This is trivial, given the nature of RFID and the distances over which it works (24/7 tracking, therefore, is an impossibility, wherein lies the complete failure of the system)

2) Have my chip removed/shielded/disabled/broken, and potentially have a chip cloned from Joe Q Public put in instead.
    3) Commit crim
    4) Go somewhere out of range / shielded against RFID tracking
    5) Have my own chip re-inserted / unshielded / re-enabled.

By using tin-foil perhaps?
    Now...if you happen to have a tamper-proof, infinite-range, unblockable, unbreakable RFID chip, then these problems become a bit harder to crack (but not impossible).

What do you suggest?

Lots more tin-foil?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

tunaman wrote: »
    By using tin-foil perhaps?
    What do you suggest? Lots more tin-foil? :D
    Lead would be better, it has very poor conductivity, ie carry a lead wallet, wear lead wrist bands and gloves to shield your RFID implant !!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Don't knock tinfoil! We may need to rely on it someday :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I did the plastering in the X-ray ward at the new clinic in Waterford a few years ago (the one beside the Good Shepherd on the cork road) we used a lead based plaster that went on at an inch thick.

my brother was workin on the Mater hospital here in Brisbane (vulture St West end) this year and they had to do the shielding for the X-ray room, he epected it to be the same sh1te, but it wasnt, they plasterboarded the room and then sprayed some kind of paint on the walls, same job apparently, so the technology to shield yerself is getin a lot better.

will e-mail the bro tomorrow to find out wht ths stuff is called.

course it could just be that the ausies just dont give a rattlinfcuk about peoples safety :eek:

RFID blocking wallets have been on sale for some time.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I did the plastering in the X-ray ward at the new clinic in Waterford a few years ago (the one beside the Good Shepherd on the cork road) we used a lead based plaster that went on at an inch thick.

I was thinking about this problem. Wouldn't a Farraday Cage prevent RFID? If so, a fine mesh could be put into the walls/plasterboards, blocking all radio waves and microwaves. Wouldn't work with X-Rays however.

Reading in to nights Herald, the EU is is proposing to demand passengers travelling on domestic flights or between European Union countries to hand over up to 19 pieces of information including their credit card details and mobile phone number. The UK propose to extend these requirements to ship and rail travel. This exceeds the information that is required of on the Real ID card. Similar article http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...ewjbSd1bz-AGtw

How can they demand credit card details and mobile numbers from people with no credit cards or mobile phone?

humanji wrote: »
    How can they demand credit card details and mobile numbers from people with no credit cards or mobile phone?
    They have these records already, they don't need to demand them, all they want to do is to pass legistation to have all these records on one smart card.

But what if you don't have a credit card or a mobile phone? They can't demand to have them? Oh, and the link is dead, does anyone have an alt?

Have you tried to check into a hotel or rent a car recently? if you dont have a Credit card then you are denied the service. once this 'legislation; gets put in place the yer Skrewed.

Have you tried to check into a hotel or rent a car recently? if you dont have a Credit card then you are denied the service.
    :confused:

I've checked into plenty of places without credit cards, admittedly mostly hostels and guest houses. I can't imagine a hotel would refuse your custom just because you don't have a credit card; there's no reason for them to.

I dont have a personal card anymore, I tried to check into 6 different hotels in Perth about a month ago, same answer every time,'its policy sir' even though I had just come from the BDC at the airport with about a grand in my fist

ended up stayin in a backpackers in Northbridge that I frequented a few years ago instead, shame tho I was plannin on spoilin meself for a few days on account of savin a ****eload on flights

• Advertisement

I dont have a personal card anymore, I tried to check into 6 different hotels in Perth about a month ago, same answer every time,'its policy sir' even though I had just come from the BDC at the airport with about a grand in my fist
    I've honestly never encountered anything like that, and I do travel a fair bit. The only time I've been asked for a credit card at check-in is if I made the reservation with said card.

I do know of some hotels who don't accept cash for security reasons (understandable), but they will accept virtually any other form of payment.

Advertisement