Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst place to live in ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

gurramok wrote: »
    Agree with Terry,

-Blackrock is some kip, full of skangers :D

And yeh, anyone born after 1979 will get a right shock when the recession bites.

Im actually sort of looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

ive never been there but anywhere with the name tipp cant be too pleasent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the midlands, places like mullingar and longford seem so depressing driving through them.i know lads from there in college who had never been to a beach until last yr-DEPRESSING!

df1985 wrote: »
    the midlands, places like mullingar and longford seem so depressing driving through them.i know lads from there in college who had never been to a beach until last yr-DEPRESSING!

ffaaacckk !!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Terry wrote: »
    Blackrock.
    Murderous scumbags who beat people to death and then go crying to their teachers.

wtf is this about? imo harsh and off topic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

df1985 wrote: »

Feck off, Longford is great:D

Blackrock.
    Murderous scumbags who beat people to death and then go crying to their teachers.

true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

+1 for Moyross and anywhere selling houses for 30k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

It may have improved in the last few years, but there are signs that it's returning to the bad old days.

The 24 hour Tesco has reduced its opening hours and there's talk about it closing down.
    The Xtra Vision in main street doesn't stock the new releases, especially in the TV DVD section. They didn't even get the fourth season of Lost on release day.
    There are scumbags still around, in places.
    The big hardware shop (Space) in centrepoint retail park is on its way out.
    Most of the shops in the town are aimed at women.
    It recently got litter blackspot status in the IBAL Litter League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Koushki

Ballyogan. period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Jaysus lads,

Anywhere in Ireland is heaven compared to somewhere like Sudan or North Korea.

In saying that i think id take my chances in Darfur rather than Boyle or Moyross..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Roscommon sounds like an awful shíthole.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wtf is this about? imo harsh and off topic too.

He may mean Cork.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Fortunestown in tallaght across from city west that new KIP full of knackers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Roscommon sounds like an awful shíthole.

its actually a good town for its size (5,000-6,000) same amount of tesco stores as galway city ;) dunnes, indoor pool and leisure centre, gaa pitch, race course, golf course, lots of good pubs and a few good clubs, enough fast food places to feed half the country, some fine hotels

far better than towns of its size in mayo or galway imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

The 24 hour Tesco has reduced its opening hours and there's talk about it closing down.

And thats all it is. Talk! In a town the size of Roscommon which has a Dunnes, Lidl and host of smaller shops having a 24 is just nuts anyway. There are no factories or 24hr employers in the area so there is no chance of someone wandering in there at 4am for a pint of milk.
    The Xtra Vision in main street doesn't stock the new releases, especially in the TV DVD section. They didn't even get the fourth season of Lost on release day.

And thats a bad thing?? Lost FFS. That show sucks ass.

Show me a town in Ireland that does not have scumbags. In places.

So? Sign of the times. In case you did not notice the countries entire building industry has disappeared up it's own greedy short sighted hole. There are hardware stores going to the wall all over the country.

Again show me a town in the country where this is not the case?

It does not take much to change that. Galway city was in the same position 2 years ago and this year they were one of the cleanest.

There is not one single point above that show Roscommon town to be a bad place to live in any way. They are just personal gripes of yours that could be applied to any town anywhere. Tesco and Lost DVDs FFS, Jesus wept......

Oh and I'm from Galway in case you think I'm being biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Nolanger wrote: »
    Rathnew in Wicklow came out top of a table of the towns with some of the worst statistics on the 2006 Census.
    The population of Rathnew is 1849 Unemployment is 11.07% - almost double the National Average of 5.92%) and 7.01% of the workforce are unable to work because of ill health - about 50% over the national average of 4.71%
    Of those working - the majority work in building and construction (14.44% of the workforce).Lone parent households make up 24.29% of family units in Rathnew - which is almost 25% above the average in Ireland of 19.3%.
    Local Authority rented homes make up 19.31% of the dwelling units in Rathnew - compared to 9.06% average for the country.
    Central Heating - 14.44% of all dwellings in Rathnew have no central heating - which is about 40% higher than the country as a whole (10.22%).

Of the people living in Rathnew who have completed their education in - 24.71% went no further than primary school or had no formal education at all. This is almost 50% above the national average of 16.72%. Graduates make up 7.68% of the Rathnew population - again almost 50% lower than the average for the Irish population.
    Less people are involved in voluntary work in Rathnew than the national average. Just 9.95% of the over 15s in Rathnew do some sort of voluntary work compared to the national average of 15.42% - about 30% less.
    The population of Rathnew has a younger profile than the national average. Only 24.5% of Rathnew residents are over 45 compared to 30.9% for the whole of Ireland. This is not a factor used in compiling the chart - but it is interesting to note it.
    All these figures are based on detailed analysis of the 2006 Census of Ireland.

Fast forward 7 and a half months and surely this place is even worse to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Jesus wept......

Oh and I'm from Galway in case you think I'm being biased.

Fozzie, FFS its a bank holiday Saturday night. If i wasnt laid up after back surgery i would be out with friends having a laugh and beers.

Maybe you should try it, even find a girl friend????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Listen to Mr. 'I saw Dublin in the '90's.
    So you saw Dublin at the start of the Celtic Tiger, when you were 7. Good for you.
    You obviously (like most of the other kids of your generastion) have no idea what's around the corner.
    Best of luck looking for that high paying job in London.

Jaysus, this recession business seems to be getting a lot of older people up on their high horse ( just something I've noticed generally in the last while and here it is, popping up on this thread.) Why are us young ones getting all this 'doom and gloom' lecturing? We're hardly to blame for the economic situation- we were kids when this whole thing was developing (property market boom, etc)!

I've actually been talking about this a lot with my dad (who lived through the 80's recession) and he agrees that things will probably not get that bad here again.

''have no idea what's around the corner''- not everyone under the age of 30 wants a 'high-paying job in London' or got to spend two weeks in Ibiza on their Leaving Cert holidays with daddy's credit card, you know...a lot of us actually are aware of what it's like to have pay our own way, get a job, etc. And just because we may not have lived through a recession before it doesn't mean we can't imagine what it will be like. Sheesh, give us a break!:D

Back to the question at hand, worst place to live in Ireland would be the midlands area- no seaside, nothing but tiny towns and fields for miles! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its actually a good town for its size

A friend of mine who was raised in Boyle used to get the shít kicked out of him by leaving cert students because he was English...at the age of seven.
    same amount of tesco stores as galway city ;) dunnes, indoor pool and leisure centre, gaa pitch, race course, golf course, lots of good pubs and a few good clubs, enough fast food places to feed half the country, some fine hotels

Jesus, sounds unreal. I know where to spend my honeymoon! I just hope I wont run out of film...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Jesus, sounds unreal. I know where to spend my honeymoon! I just hope I wont run out of film...

The sad thing is, it sounds like that town still has more going on than most medium/small towns in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

A friend of mine who was raised in Boyle used to get the shít kicked out of him by leaving cert students because he was English...at the age of seven.

yeah because only in roscommon are kids beaten up in school :rolleyes: try being english in a cavan or monaghan or north leitrim school, you won't get out of there alive

what the fcuk do you expect to see in roscommon town?? miles of golden sandy beaches, snow capped mountains, geysers :D I am talking about a town where all the amenties are within easy walking distance of your house, unlike parts of galway city (where i lived for a few years) ie knocknacarra, upper newcastle etc which are miles away from anything but housing estates . roscommon town offers more than the likes of similiar sized towns like ballinasloe, tuam, ballyhaunis, ballinrobe.

you want scenic, it has a castle and an abbey on one side of town and a large town park on the other, it has an arts centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

It may have improved in the last few years, but there are signs that it's returning to the bad old days.

Its the ugly side of the recession that you don't see on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AndrewI

Definately the people in Southill need alot of hope, I read alot of articles about Southill and I feel bad for the children that have to live there.

The Southill Children's Fund has a really good website about whats happenning around there. The link is, http://www.southillchildrensfund.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is this old enough to be a zombie:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Worste place to live is with your parents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

try being english in a cavan or monaghan or north leitrim school, you won't get out of there alive

I'll try that tomorrow. No wait, I'm being Japanese in Limerick tomorrow, em ok I'll try it next wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Worste place to live is with your parents...

It's not so bad when there are only the bones left. It's a bit iffy before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Anywhere outside Dublin. I'd hate to live on a farm. You'd be so far away from any form of society.

Not everywhere outside Dublin is "a farm"

I live in Dublin yet I'm surrounded by more fields than I was when I was growing up in the midlands.........

Tsk. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jdivision wrote: »
    I went to school in Mahon, less than 50 private houses in a suburb with 10,000 people.
    A private developer wouldn't give a damn as soon as all the units were sold TBH.
    The council has a budget, if people aren't going to look after something they can rent for very little and will later be given an option to buy at a significant discount then they're the problem not the council. Most of those estates went to crap before rules were brought in saying councils don't have to house people guilty of unsocial behaviour. What's happened in Limerick is they've rehoused the scumbags in nicer parts of Limerick thus rewarding them for their scumminess and in turn spreading anti-social problems throughout the city. That's not a good solution.
    I met John Fitz who's in charge of Limerick's regeneration a few times and while I admire him and think his heart is in the right place sometimes things don't go to plan. I still remember sitting down and hearing him say that the city owed the people of St Michael's of Inchicore and had let them down. That was around five years ago and there's people still living there with no cleaning services in the communal areas and the whole site still hasn't been redeveloped.

I live in Mahon now, and have for my entire life, A sh1tload of houses are now private.

Upwards of 1000 residents are in Private Property.

There are not 10,000 houses in Mahon AFAIK, just 10,000 residents.

And Mahon is not actually as bad as people make out, I can say for certain that it is a definite small minority who feck it around,

But really, I would hate to live in The Glen, in the Northside of Cork!!! The place is a sh1thole!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement