Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst place to live in ireland

Options
  • 22-01-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

apparently it's o'malley park in Limerick. Well, thats according to this site: www.wheretolive.ie

i know it's a real rough ****ty place, but when i was younger my Uncle used to live close to it and it just seemed as bad as any other rough places in the country. Granted that was about 10 years ago or so.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is that in South Hill? The first time I saw South Hill I got a bit of a shock - it's a dreadful-looking place. I can't believe properties in that state are let out to people. So what if they're council houses?
    Some of them look unfit for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Laois. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Dudess wrote: »
    Is that in South Hill? The first time I saw South Hill I got a bit of a shock - it's a dreadful-looking place. I can't believe properties in that state are let out to people. So what if they're council houses?

Nah, they're at opposite sides of the city. They are pretty desolate sh*tholes alright, have a look on YouTube to see joyriders, bonfires etc. They are about to undergo a huge renewal/rebuild though, which is good: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0121/limerick.html

But yeah, these are probably the worst places to live in Ireland. Limerick as a whole is fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lil minx

the worst place to live in ireland is on the streets do nebody agree?

Hmm, that site can hardly be described as accurate in any way, most of the places rated have only been rated by one person....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

cornbb wrote: »
    Nah, they're at opposite sides of the city. They are pretty desolate sh*tholes alright, have a look on YouTube to see joyriders, bonfires etc. They are about to undergo a huge renewal/rebuild though, which is good: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0121/limerick.html

But yeah, these are probably the worst places to live in Ireland. Limerick as a whole is fine though.

When you say nah, i believe you may be thinking of Moyross, O'malley park is in south hill, and I would not say it is the worst place in Ireland, I can think of worse in Limerick,and then there are estates in Cork and Dublin which would make any of the Limerick estates look like Beverly Hills. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

No offence but ever think that the people living in them caused them to be like that. That they destroyed them themselves. Large parts of those two areas had their council housing refurbished ten years ago and look at it now. I went to school in an area like that and you can tell that some people just don't give a f**k cos they know the council will eventually step in and do them up or in this case demolish and rebuild them.

foinse wrote: »
    When you say nah, i believe you may be thinking of Moyross, O'malley park is in south hill, and I would not say it is the worst place in Ireland, I can think of worse in Limerick,and then there are estates in Cork and Dublin which would make any of the Limerick estates look like Beverly Hills. lol.

Oops you're right, I was thinking of Moyross instead of O'Malley.

Maybe you're right, I've only been to Southill once (a scary experience at night). The place is pretty appalling though, can't see how it gets much worse in Ireland.
    http://www.eirbiz.com/os/limerick29a.jpg

I'm sure the whole place isn't that bad obviously, I know there are a lot of decent ppl living out there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

This has been done to death..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Dermo wrote: »
    apparently it's o'malley park in Limerick. Well, thats according to this site: www.wheretolive.ie

... as voted by the grand total of 1 person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The voting system for this isnt exactly flawless, apparently the best place to live in Ireland is "Laurleen" because one person gave it a ten.
    Also Cobh appears three times in the top ten "Best" places to live. This is clearly false. We keep them on an Island for a reason.
    http://www.wheretolive.ie/best10.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Dundalk is a sh1thole.

jdivision wrote: »
    No offence but ever think that the people living in them caused them to be like that. That they destroyed them themselves. Large parts of those two areas had their council housing refurbished ten years ago and look at it now. I went to school in an area like that and you can tell that some people just don't give a f**k cos they know the council will eventually step in and do them up or in this case demolish and rebuild them.
    Oh I agree, but often the council doesn't step in - it just leaves the place to rot. I mean a private developer wouldn't let things go to crap in the first place.
    foinse wrote: »
    and then there are estates in Cork and Dublin which would make any of the Limerick estates look like Beverly Hills. lol.
    Cork being a small city, I've seen most of the really bad estates in Cork (and I worked in the City Council housing department for a while also). Saw nothing as bad as South Hill.
    Can't speak for Dublin though. Actually a Rough Guide to Cities/Towns has been published and it says you'd really want to watch your wallet (and back) in Tralee at night :)
    Cool_CM wrote: »
    Also Cobh appears three times in the top ten "Best" places to live. This is clearly false. We keep them on an Island for a reason.
    I've heard nothing but frightening stuff about Cobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Blackrock.
    Murderous scumbags who beat people to death and then go crying to their teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Man I miss the days when everyone hated Tallaght :(

Actually I think Tallaght has enough high buildings to qualify for a Superhero now, yippie!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,242 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Dundalk is a sh1thole.

I have heard similar. Apparently, it's like 1984 (the novel, not the year) only more violent, up there.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Kilcock!! Or somewhere out that neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

tallaght!

no offence to tallaght people!

6th wrote: »
    Man I miss the days when everyone hated Tallaght :(

Actually I think Tallaght has enough high buildings to qualify for a Superhero now, yippie!
    So, what was it like growing up in Tallaght as a nerd?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can I nominate Larne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Oh I agree, but often the council doesn't step in - it just leaves the place to rot. I mean a private developer wouldn't let things go to crap in the first place.

Cork being a small city, I've seen most of the really bad estates in Cork (and I worked in the City Council housing department for a while also). Saw nothing as bad as South Hill.
    I went to school in Mahon, less than 50 private houses in a suburb with 10,000 people.
    A private developer wouldn't give a damn as soon as all the units were sold TBH.
    The council has a budget, if people aren't going to look after something they can rent for very little and will later be given an option to buy at a significant discount then they're the problem not the council. Most of those estates went to crap before rules were brought in saying councils don't have to house people guilty of unsocial behaviour. What's happened in Limerick is they've rehoused the scumbags in nicer parts of Limerick thus rewarding them for their scumminess and in turn spreading anti-social problems throughout the city. That's not a good solution.
    I met John Fitz who's in charge of Limerick's regeneration a few times and while I admire him and think his heart is in the right place sometimes things don't go to plan. I still remember sitting down and hearing him say that the city owed the people of St Michael's of Inchicore and had let them down. That was around five years ago and there's people still living there with no cleaning services in the communal areas and the whole site still hasn't been redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

jdivision wrote: »
    I went to school in Mahon, less than 50 private houses in a suburb with 10,000 people.
    A private developer wouldn't give a damn as soon as all the units were sold TBH.
    The council has a budget, if people aren't going to look after something they can rent for very little and will later be given an option to buy at a significant discount then they're the problem not the council. Most of those estates went to crap before rules were brought in saying councils don't have to house people guilty of unsocial behaviour. What's happened in Limerick is they've rehoused the scumbags in nicer parts of Limerick thus rewarding them for their scumminess and in turn spreading anti-social problems throughout the city. That's not a good solution.
    I met John Fitz who's in charge of Limerick's regeneration a few times and while I admire him and think his heart is in the right place sometimes things don't go to plan. I still remember sitting down and hearing him say that the city owed the people of St Michael's of Inchicore and had let them down. That was around five years ago and there's people still living there with no cleaning services in the communal areas and the whole site still hasn't been redeveloped.
    I'd like to see all foreigners put in the same place, so that they don't spread their foreignness all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i used to say dundalk but now i'll vote for limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

cornbb wrote: »

funny thing about most of those videos on you tube alot of the footage of them isn't even in limerick in a lot of them u can see its actually ballymun..

i dunno i think id have to go for somewhere like laois or leitrim i dunno why really they just don't seem like real counties..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

After hearing about those lads that tried to burn a polish lad for laughs I believe anything about Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

In terms of deprivation probably Limerick (tho Ballyfermot is the roughest corner of Dublin I ever encountered, it still looks like all of Dublin did in 1993. They could make a sequel of Into The West there tbh)

Bland and boring wise, Athlone and Dundalk would win it.

Strabane is an awful place too iirc, as is Dungannon.

However, in terms of weather, lonely landscape and the fact it costs an arm and a leg to get to or from, Galway and its surrounding region would be my to hell or to Connaught nomination. The popularity of the place baffles me, I couldnt live there if I was paid. Having a few good pubs and nightclubs doesnt make up Im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

phasers wrote: »
    Leitrim

Do you even know where it.......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Limerick is a grand oul place all the same. The regeneration in the city centre is making it more and more pleasant. The abbey bridge area is really picturesque. There are a few bad areas, like anywhere, but I would much rather live in Limerick than Dublin, if I had to live in an Irish city. Dublin has worse crime, worse traffic, its mostly full of disgusting architecture, all the people are pompous and rude, the public transport is frankly dangerous, and them Dublin skobes make me want to drink bleach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

shane86 wrote: »
    In terms of deprivation probably Limerick (tho Ballyfermot is the roughest corner of Dublin I ever encountered, it still looks like all of Dublin did in 1993. They could make a sequel of Into The West there tbh)

Bland and boring wise, Athlone and Dundalk would win it.

Strabane is an awful place too iirc, as is Dungannon.

However, in terms of weather, lonely landscape and the fact it costs an arm and a leg to get to or from, Galway and its surrounding region would be my to hell or to Connaught nomination. The popularity of the place baffles me, I couldnt live there if I was paid. Having a few good pubs and nightclubs doesnt make up Im afraid.

It's cheaper to get to Galway than say Cork or Kerry.

And Galway has some of the nicest landscape in the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement