Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst place to live in ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

kraggy wrote: »
    It's cheaper to get to Galway than say Cork or Kerry.

Is it?

Ive seen 12 euro offers for Cork on the bus and train. Galway is close on 50 return to Dublin by train.

As for the landscape, its pretty barren and desolate. Just adds to the depression and the "how the **** do people live here" thought.

Having said that Galway people must be the proudest of their area of anyone, not sure Ive ever heard a Galwegian describe it as a kip, whereas nearly every other place yil meet people from it who admit its a hole (Athlone in particular). And everyone from abroad seems to regard Galway as paradise, yet simultanouesly complain about the Irish weather. The rest of Ireland is like a July in Ibiza compared to out wesht at pretty much any time between September and May, maybe even further. Ive no idea how or why Galway folk live in this dillusional state of it being a grand place but fair fooks to them. Personally Id die by my own hand if I spent more than 3 days there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

shane86 wrote: »
    Is it?

Ive seen 12 euro offers for Cork on the bus and train. Galway is close on 50 return to Dublin by train.

Doubt very much you've seen offers for the train at 12 euro. Not for an adult...

Just checked it. Tried to link it but won't work. Anyway...

Dublin-Cork return = 64,50

Dublin-Galway return = 44,00

Cork nearly 50% dearer.

Same days, Same Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

shane86 wrote: »
    In terms of deprivation probably Limerick (tho Ballyfermot is the roughest corner of Dublin I ever encountered, it still looks like all of Dublin did in 1993. They could make a sequel of Into The West there tbh)

Bland and boring wise, Athlone and Dundalk would win it.

Strabane is an awful place too iirc, as is Dungannon.

However, in terms of weather, lonely landscape and the fact it costs an arm and a leg to get to or from, Galway and its surrounding region would be my to hell or to Connaught nomination. The popularity of the place baffles me, I couldnt live there if I was paid. Having a few good pubs and nightclubs doesnt make up Im afraid.

Listen to Mr. 'I saw Dublin in the '90's.
    So you saw Dublin at the start of the Celtic Tiger, when you were 7. Good for you.
    You obviously (like most of the other kids of your generastion) have no idea what's around the corner.
    Best of luck looking for that high paying job in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Well as somone already said,''the streets''
    There are LOTs of people who don't sleep in houses....now thats depressing.

Terry wrote: »
    So you saw Dublin at the start of the Celtic Tiger, when you were 7. Good for you.
    You obviously (like most of the other kids of your generastion) have no idea what's around the corner.

No, not this reccession stuff again.Right we're not gonna be ridiculously stinking rich and developers aren't gonna make AS MUCH from the property market and certain raw material prices will increase but Irelands economy is a lot stronger and more stable than it was in the 90's.I don't want to be rich anyway,I just want enough to enjoy myself occassionally and ANYONE can earn enough money to do that, with enough effort, so wtf is everyone worried about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

Limerick is a grand oul place all the same. The regeneration in the city centre is making it more and more pleasant. The abbey bridge area is really picturesque. There are a few bad areas, like anywhere, but I would much rather live in Limerick than Dublin, if I had to live in an Irish city. Dublin has worse crime, worse traffic, its mostly full of disgusting architecture, all the people are pompous and rude, the public transport is frankly dangerous, and them Dublin skobes make me want to drink bleach.

I totally agree with this! have been living in Limerick city the last 2 years due to college, and i love it! its only certain areas that are giving Limerick a bad name. I much prefer Limerick to Dublin, any day

pisslips wrote: »
    No, not this reccession stuff again.Right we're not gonna be ridiculously stinking rich and developers aren't gonna make AS MUCH from the property market and certain raw material prices will increase but Irelands economy is a lot stronger and more stable than it was in the 90's.I don't want to be rich anyway,I just want enough to enjoy myself occassionally and ANYONE can earn enough money to do that, with enough effort, so wtf is everyone worried about?
    Best of luck with that.

While things may not be as bad as the eighties, they will be bad and some of you kids will get the kick in the arse that you need.

I'll sit back and laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Dudess wrote: »
    So, what was it like growing up in Tallaght as a nerd?

It had it's good and bad sides health-wise.

On the plus side you learn how to run really fast so it kept you fit.

On the other hand if they caught you then you were taking a trip to the emergency room.

So 50-50 really.

And don't let all the fancy new tall buildings fool you, the place is still a toilet

So, what was it like growing up in Tallaght as a nerd?
    What was it like growing up in Cork as part of a people who are deluded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Best of luck with that.

While things may not be as bad as the eighties, they will be bad and some of you kids will get the kick in the arse that you need.

I'll sit back and laugh.

Arent you unemployed/semi employed anyway?

• Advertisement

Best of luck with that.

I'll sit back and laugh.

Man, you realise that your elders were probably saying the same about your generation.There are plenty of idiots young and old, it's nothing to do with age.And to be honest, if I'm to be critical of a generation it's the current 28-35 yr olds, who must be the most materialist generation Ireland has ever had.I mean I don't care if I ever own a widescreen t.v, go on shopping trips to New York, spend E100+ on a night out and get a plumber in to bleed the radiators or carpenter to fix a shelf.Who do you think are teenage role models? Katy French?Are these the kids with one parent or are these the aborted kids your talking about.Yeah, previous generations have really, built a strong country with a social conscience, I'm sure the homeless and the heroin addicts with brick dust in their lungs would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

South hill, Moyross....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

cornbb wrote: »
    Hmm, that site can hardly be described as accurate in any way, most of the places rated have only been rated by one person....

To be fair though, the site only launched a week or two ago. The beauty of the model is that the more people use it the more accurate it gets and the harder it is to spam.

Or at least that's how I understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Agree with Terry,

-Blackrock is some kip, full of skangers :D

And yeh, anyone born after 1979 will get a right shock when the recession bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

You're an economist are you? Is that what qualifies you to make these sweeping doomsday predictions? Genuinely interested here to know how you are aware of what's 'around the corner' for the kids of my generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Bundoran..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

bundoran not a bad shout,i think donegal people just disown it but us in sligo are not taking it no way lol

mine would prob be in the middle of nowhere like roscommon beside no beach,no town,just fields and a post office.

btw galway is a great city,but i agree the county in the far extremities is a bit crap.the city however is clean,class clubs/pubs/restaurants and sound ppl

limerick isnt as bad as everyone makes out,not in the least

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

irokie wrote: »
    To be fair though, the site only launched a week or two ago. The beauty of the model is that the more people use it the more accurate it gets and the harder it is to spam.

Or at least that's how I understand it.

Certainly a model that works for wikipedia.

Zing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

'Sweet Strabane, hell on a stick'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Spaceballs101

Anywhere outside Dublin. I'd hate to live on a farm. You'd be so far away from any form of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Edgeworthstown is worst place I think I've ever been in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Anywhere outside Dublin. I'd hate to live on a farm. You'd be so far away from any form of society.
    Heh, can of worms opened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Kilcoole, Co Wicklow - By no means the worst but still pretty bad
    • Skangers outnumber people
    • Constant digging up of the main street but no actual improvements
    • No broadband
    • Buses running hours behind/ahead of schedule and lask of footpaths leaving town so there's no escape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Borris-on-Ossory gets my vote...
    hopalong85 wrote: »
    Genuinely interested here to know how you are aware of what's 'around the corner' for the kids of my generation.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/recession.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

St Michaels house would propably be the worst in dublin, ballymun is a decent place these days though,. Out of the whole country it would have to be certain parts of limerick, I grew up in sherrif street and summerhill and they looks glamorous compared to parts of limerick.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Rathnew in Wicklow came out top of a table of the towns with some of the worst statistics on the 2006 Census.
    The population of Rathnew is 1849 Unemployment is 11.07% - almost double the National Average of 5.92%) and 7.01% of the workforce are unable to work because of ill health - about 50% over the national average of 4.71%
    Of those working - the majority work in building and construction (14.44% of the workforce).Lone parent households make up 24.29% of family units in Rathnew - which is almost 25% above the average in Ireland of 19.3%.
    Local Authority rented homes make up 19.31% of the dwelling units in Rathnew - compared to 9.06% average for the country.
    Central Heating - 14.44% of all dwellings in Rathnew have no central heating - which is about 40% higher than the country as a whole (10.22%).

Of the people living in Rathnew who have completed their education in - 24.71% went no further than primary school or had no formal education at all. This is almost 50% above the national average of 16.72%. Graduates make up 7.68% of the Rathnew population - again almost 50% lower than the average for the Irish population.
    Less people are involved in voluntary work in Rathnew than the national average. Just 9.95% of the over 15s in Rathnew do some sort of voluntary work compared to the national average of 15.42% - about 30% less.
    The population of Rathnew has a younger profile than the national average. Only 24.5% of Rathnew residents are over 45 compared to 30.9% for the whole of Ireland. This is not a factor used in compiling the chart - but it is interesting to note it.
    All these figures are based on detailed analysis of the 2006 Census of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

jb91 wrote: »
    Kilcoole, Co Wicklow - By no means the worst but still pretty bad
    • Skangers outnumber people
    • Constant digging up of the main street but no actual improvements
    • No broadband
    • Buses running hours behind/ahead of schedule and lask of footpaths leaving town so there's no escape

The 84 bus is a load of Sh8t alright! and can you not get eircom broadband down there and i thought we were backward here in Wicklow town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Nolanger wrote: »
    Rathnew in Wicklow came out top of a table of the towns with some of the worst statistics on the 2006 Census.
    The population of Rathnew is 1849 Unemployment is 11.07% - almost double the National Average of 5.92%) and 7.01% of the workforce are unable to work because of ill health - about 50% over the national average of 4.71%
    Of those working - the majority work in building and construction (14.44% of the workforce).Lone parent households make up 24.29% of family units in Rathnew - which is almost 25% above the average in Ireland of 19.3%.
    Local Authority rented homes make up 19.31% of the dwelling units in Rathnew - compared to 9.06% average for the country.
    Central Heating - 14.44% of all dwellings in Rathnew have no central heating - which is about 40% higher than the country as a whole (10.22%).

Of the people living in Rathnew who have completed their education in - 24.71% went no further than primary school or had no formal education at all. This is almost 50% above the national average of 16.72%. Graduates make up 7.68% of the Rathnew population - again almost 50% lower than the average for the Irish population.
    Less people are involved in voluntary work in Rathnew than the national average. Just 9.95% of the over 15s in Rathnew do some sort of voluntary work compared to the national average of 15.42% - about 30% less.
    The population of Rathnew has a younger profile than the national average. Only 24.5% of Rathnew residents are over 45 compared to 30.9% for the whole of Ireland. This is not a factor used in compiling the chart - but it is interesting to note it.
    All these figures are based on detailed analysis of the 2006 Census of Ireland.

Sorry whats with the rathnew bashing !! I may not be from Rathnew but they have a few knockout footballers and i'm not talking bout the lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Heh, can of worms opened...

You mods love these threads.

I'll go for Clare just to be controversial. NObody ever says Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

no offence to anyone but anywhere with a halting site . Or even on a halting site . That would be pretty crap .
    Or in ahouse with a mortgage you cant afford . Then youd be better off on a halting site

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement